Walpurgis 0.94 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW! 0.94 RELEASE!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.94 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW! 0.94 RELEA

Postby eharper256 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:46 am

Turin Turambar wrote:Uh. Shouldn't have the setting in OFF actually mean no enemy changes at all?

Yes, it means none at all. Archie's Blast is not changed at all, even in the mod version of him. In fact, the only change to Archvile is that it has a slightly higher pain chance and mildly less HP (and various extra animations for him being electrocuted/frozen etc.). You can check this in the files yourself.

However, I expect the confusion here arises from how armour works differently, because its Hexen Armour. With Hexen Armour damage reduction is equal to the armour value. So if you have 85 Armour in Walpurgis, the Armour has both 85 HP and blocks 85% of incoming damage. Whereas, in Vanilla Doom, the HP of armour is displayed, but its damage reduction is always related to the type of armour (i.e. Blue blocks more than Green blocks more than Scraps, with I think 60/50/30 but don't quote me on that).

Obviously this makes a big difference in some cases, especially since characters also passively have armour with Hexen Armour (i.e. the Crusader has a base 20 Armour, so he'll never take more than 80% damage from an attack, even with no "armour" pickups at all). You will also take zero damage if your armour is over 100, but when Armour is taking all the damage it tends to disappear pretty quickly.

It is never going to be a vanilla doom experience, even with Vanilla monsters. :)
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby Turin Turambar » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:50 am

Ok, it's really a *bug*. The setting isn't doing anything.

https://i.imgur.com/wcD8OAu.png

Custom monsters are off. Look at the cvar. I start a new game, just in case, then I load a test map and the Revenant rockets behavior is the same as before. They also have the sparks you gave them.
Turin Turambar

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby eharper256 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:09 am

Turin Turambar wrote:Ok, it's really a *bug*. The setting isn't doing anything.

https://i.imgur.com/wcD8OAu.png

Custom monsters are off. Look at the cvar. I start a new game, just in case, then I load a test map and the Revenant rockets behavior is the same as before. They also have the sparks you gave them.

Yup, specifically Revenant Rockets still exhibit the changed behaviour because they're direct replacements. I think that's probably the only thing that stays not vanilla when you pull the vanilla switch. (shrug) Its that way because there might be situations where a character cannot deal with a Revenant at all (i.e. Myrmidon or Crusader or Druid without any ranged weapons), whereas Doomguy will always likely have an answer. This change is to purely help them out with that. And because literally no-one likes homing rockets. :lol:

But okay, sure, its not technically pure vanilla, so I'll make sure that gets its own CVAR in the next patch.

Like I say, though, if you want different monsters or don't agree with how its set up right now, all the power to ya. I'm not going to change my vision because of that; its fundamentally wrong to expect a pure vanilla experience in the first place when you've got a high-fantasy gameplay mod that is injecting Hexen into your Doom. :)

Also, thanks for all these bumps, I appreciate it!
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:16 am

Back from my designated downtime not looking at Doom for awhile to prevent burnout; and the current planned direction for the 0.95 version is looking to be "The Big Bad Bestiary" Update.

For that, the primary idea I'm playing with is Dimensional Instability Mode that I'll be adding as an optional toggle. Sort of like Shades of Doom's Chaos Mode in theory, but not quite, what it will do is to allow Doom, Heretic, and Hexen's bestiary to cross-spawn with similar creatures. For example, when playing Doom, a cloud of cacodemons might become a swarm of Heretic Fireball Imps, with 3 Imps per Caco. Or in Hexen, a Centaur might become a pair of Doom Pinkies. Or in Heretic, a Nitrogolem might become a Revenant. On top of that, those spawns will also be subject to the usual possibilities of being Elites.

Which of course, should get more than than usual two per version in this version: I'm looking at ideally at least covering ten new elites for this update; as well as adding new behaviours for bosses for Heretic and Doom to match the already changed Hexen Three Lords. And maybe Korax too, if we can work around the scripts that hold his boss fight level together.

This will maybe be the update that I try to add in some new items, like scrolls, ring and amulets, again as optional replacement drops.

The Crusader may, possibly, get his alternate in-slot weapon as well, but not certain since I was not happy with the sprites I started and may go back to the drawing board.

---
If you have any thoughts about these plans and other ideas for what you'd like to see, remember to let me know and discuss away!
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:03 am

[imgur][/imgur]great stuff, i enojoy new doom monster attack effects - cacodeamon projectile f.ex. The idea of putting more weapons is great, i always think 3 weapons from hexen is a joke. I still dont like only 2 ammo type (blue/green mana) but ok.

All weapons have nice difference in gameplay, they are neatly balanced - even Baratus 2x sword vs Axe have different combat aplications. However the weapon damage is too big for doom game. Could you add monster HP slider? im killing with starting weapons Revenant or HellKnigh in 3 hits.

THere is some bug with inventory bar (but maybe its because of Eviterity).

Druid in wolf form is very fragile. I quite enjoy melee combat with Baratus, or Parias, but Druid force me for some one by one benny hills. Dagon staff is very good, i enjoy this stick, telefrag from waterform. The knive animaiton with constant stabing or forhand slash could be enriched with another. Also her grenades plant Frenzyweed looks like from mario games, could you at least change the colors? Heretic fungus maybe could be adjusted for this purpose, some mix with tree maybe.

fantastic work, i enjoy it a lot. Also the help pages are great! It instantly help to figure all stuff i need to play - you could add some graphical hint to press F1 in the main menu background.
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:08 am

Thanks for the revised feedback Lagi. Glad you're enjoying the arsenal.

For Evilternity, make sure that you run Walpurgis later in your load order; and make sure you turn off GZDoom's alternate status-bar, and it works fine:

This should be standard proceedings for most maps (and the above will still apply if you use a launcher rather than editing your ini file all the time like I do), but especially those that replace status-bars, as only the most recent one loads.

HP sliders for monsters... not going to guarantee this as I'm not 100% sure how to fit it in, code wise, but I'll consider it. Difficulty 4 already increases HP by 10%, and Diff 5 by 20% so you can consider those as well as adding more elites and Doomed Souls mode from the menu for more difficulty.

Druid is very much a Fragile Speedster character, indeed. The Wolf outputs alot of damage but is riskier to use, whereas Dagon's offers her a safer, more methodical option, but which uses more Aether Mana.

Extra dagger animations... well I might make a chop animation as well at some point to match the gladius having that.

Glad you like the help pages!
eharper256

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods