Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trailer]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Mon May 31, 2021 3:47 am

Happy Late May Bank Holiday weekend for those of us in the UK!

This week, I've managed to revise the base of the Lightbringer sprites, to make a version completely unique to Walpurgis now (the swirly core of it has a changed look, with more frames of animation). This combines with the overlays I added a while ago to make it look awesome. I've also wrote all of the basic script for the Dagon's Cane now; though this has been a bit delayed by some weirdness in SLADE doing some odd stuff with my sprites.

Progress continues to progress, though work remains frustratingly busy and time consuming for me.
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:49 am

New video to show off the Lightbringer changes!


This is two levels from "2048 units of /vr/", a megawad created by various contributors to the 4chan Retro Games board, which you can download here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... 48vr_v1.6g

For some reason the recording derped out a few times for this, so this is actually two different videos from two different runs duct-taped together with a couple of cutoffs, unfortunately. Still, I didn't want to let the footage go to waste!
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:13 am

Oof, another week goes by. Work is hammering me this week again; its unusually busy for this time of year, and I also made the mistake of starting another playthough of Divinity Original Sin II with a slew of mods.

This week on Walp has been tweaks and maintainence for the most part, as well as some spriting, so there's no exciting videos to show off this time.

We ticked up to 50K views on this topic whilst I wasn't paying attention though! That's pretty awesome! Thanks to everyone for getting us this far!
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:12 am

Playtest of the first two levels of "D.N.A." by Kan3, at his request by PM on the Doomworld forums, which I did in Walp:

I like the atmosphere of the set.

And I see its quiet around here lately. :D
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby dawnbreez » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am

So the weapons all felt really powerful in vanilla-esque maps, and I decided to try Sunder.

The Crusader's slot 3 feels kinda weak compared to his slot 2 once you start fighting large groups. Sure, its altfire stunlocks enemies, and its primary roasts smaller foes with ease, but that's also true of the slot 2's altfire...which can be fired around corners with the slot 2 tertiary fire. And frankly, the slot 3's primary feels like it simply does less damage than the slot 2's altfire, even after I upgraded it. Plus, neither option is very good against bosses, particularly against the many cyberdemons that Sunder throws at you.

This is why it's somewhat unfortunate that most of the ammo in Sunder's later maps is green mana...
User avatar
dawnbreez
 
Joined: 08 Jul 2015

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:03 am

dawnbreez wrote:So the weapons all felt really powerful in vanilla-esque maps, and I decided to try Sunder.

The Crusader's slot 3 feels kinda weak compared to his slot 2 once you start fighting large groups. Sure, its altfire stunlocks enemies, and its primary roasts smaller foes with ease, but that's also true of the slot 2's altfire...which can be fired around corners with the slot 2 tertiary fire. And frankly, the slot 3's primary feels like it simply does less damage than the slot 2's altfire, even after I upgraded it. Plus, neither option is very good against bosses, particularly against the many cyberdemons that Sunder throws at you.

This is why it's somewhat unfortunate that most of the ammo in Sunder's later maps is green mana...

Hmm; interesting to hear some Crusader feedback; haven't had that in a while, so thanks for that!

One thing to always keep in mind with Firestorm's Primary is that it tends to be less effective when you hold down the fire button. You want to jet flames in shortish bursts, as the flames get more erratic as time goes on (much like using a real-life flamethrower).

Technically, the DPS of the Lightbringer Beam is indeed slightly higher than Firestorms Flamer (about 15%~ better, assuming all pulses of the laser and all flame-puffs hit respectively); however it has a slightly shorter range and is considerably more hungry for Aetherial Mana than the Flamer is for Verdant Mana. Moreover, the upgraded Flamethrower has literally x2 the fire-rate (and so x2 DPS in ideal circumstances), whereas the Beam upgrade just gives it wall-bouncing and evil seeking.

There is also the fact that Cyberdemons naturally resist explosive and flame damage by default; so yes, for fighting them, Firestorm is pretty mediocre. With fighting large groups; dashing through them with the blazing barrier (tertiary) tends to be pretty optimal.

Sadly, I can't absolutely balance for every kind of map with every player class and every situation, that would be impossible :lol: . If a Doom map has all Green Mana, that means it was practically all Rockets before Walpurgis altered it. Walpurgis tends to assume if you're going to be fighting Cybie in great numbers, you should have probably also got all your ultimate pieces (Crux Calicus is practically an anti-cyberdemon weapon, considering you can deflect his rockets flawlessly with the shield-wall whilst murdering him with the heat of a thousand suns). :P

Don't forget to use your inventory as well; did you have a Krater of Might to get a wad of Blue Mana back there? Discs of Repulsion to fling his Rockets Back at him? Crusader Holy-Water Flechettes will guarantee stunlock on Cybie for about 1 second too. And of course, your Icon of the Defender as a Crusader reflects damage you take back as well as giving you x2 Fire Rate and 50% Damage Reduction. There's always options. :wink:
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:02 am


Followup playtest video for D.N.A. by Kan3, this is map 4. (map 3 is skipped as it was a marathon maze I couldn't do a recording for)

EDIT: Lol, this is post 666.
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:11 am

Here's a preview of what Dagon's Cane looks like in game (finally!):

This is the primary fire for the Druid's alternative in-slot-2 replacement.

As you can tell, it fires super-pressurised blasts of water. I might tone down the damage and make other tweaks, of course, but visually the primary fire is basically ready at this point. I put alot of effort into the splattering and bubbles sprites! Let me know what you think!!

Secondary still needs a re-work (the sprite ended up too big for the screen lol).
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby PresBarackbar » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:59 pm

eharper256 wrote:Here's a preview of what Dagon's Cane looks like in game (finally!):

This is the primary fire for the Druid's alternative in-slot-2 replacement.

As you can tell, it fires super-pressurised blasts of water. I might tone down the damage and make other tweaks, of course, but visually the primary fire is basically ready at this point. I put alot of effort into the splattering and bubbles sprites! Let me know what you think!!

Secondary still needs a re-work (the sprite ended up too big for the screen lol).


Heck yeah! That looks absolutely amazing!
PresBarackbar
 
Joined: 18 Oct 2019

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Hello! I finally made a full playthrough with the latest version of the mod - work is indeed a necessary evil- here are some thoughts!

I played using the Druid on Doom 2, with Corruption Cards, on difficulty 5.

She starts off weak - REALLY weak when compared to the other characters, which fits her playstyle as she's meant to be light on her feet and reliant on cunning rather than raw power. The basilard's secondary attack is an absolute lifesaver, as it provides not only range, but the option to do trick shots, and its lingering poison works wonders on a pinch. The druid takes long to become a powerhouse, but once her weapons are fully upgraded and she has the Ichival, you can run, jump and duck away from attacks, making her a proper rogue/druid character.

Weapon 2: Serviceable at first. It's more difficult to use in Doom because of the abundance of ranged enemies, but its secondary attack compensates for that. Upgrades are okay - they feel more incremental than altogether weapon-changing. The extra damage output makes it a more viable weapon against smaller enemies, but it still struggles against enemies from Caco upwards. I noticed the upgraded primary attack deals splash damage to the player when hitting a wall.

Weapon 3: To me, the bread-and-butter of the druid's arsenal, it remains useful throughout. Primary and tertiary fires are the go-to attacks, as they're powerful even when not upgraded, and once they're augmented, they can easily clear a group of enemies. Secondary remains highly situational, even when upgraded - personally I used it more as a means to heal myself, rather than to hypnotize enemies.

Weapon 4: The Ichival remains well-rounded and useful all along, and the abundance of kraters in Doom makes it a viable weapon throughout.

All in all, the upgrades did really good in bringing the Druid to the same level of quality and adaptability as the rest of the characters, which makes her more enjoyable to use - though the Magister remains my favorite.

I look forward to trying out Dagon's rod!


Edit: I forgot to mention the normal Kraters of Might still appear at some places. When you pick them up, they add to the modified kraters, but you can still pick them up when you have the limit of 9, thus wasting them. They appear where the pieces of the Ishival would show up, if it's already complete.
User avatar
SallazarSpellcaster
 
Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Location: Mexico

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:00 am

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Hello! I finally made a full playthrough with the latest version of the mod - work is indeed a necessary evil- here are some thoughts!

Thanks as always! Yeah, work has been pretty draining on my time lately as well, I hear ya.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:She starts off weak - REALLY weak when compared to the other characters, which fits her playstyle as she's meant to be light on her feet and reliant on cunning rather than raw power. The basilard's secondary attack is an absolute lifesaver, as it provides not only range, but the option to do trick shots, and its lingering poison works wonders on a pinch. The druid takes long to become a powerhouse, but once her weapons are fully upgraded and she has the Ichival, you can run, jump and duck away from attacks, making her a proper rogue/druid character.
Yep, you just quoted my design statement for her, she's the fragile speedster that develops into a glass cannon over time. :lol: She was always sort of meant to be a Druid/Ranger type multiclass really, which was meant to be evident with the mix of natural artifacts along with daggers and the Ichival.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Weapon 2: Serviceable at first. It's more difficult to use in Doom because of the abundance of ranged enemies, but its secondary attack compensates for that. Upgrades are okay - they feel more incremental than altogether weapon-changing. The extra damage output makes it a more viable weapon against smaller enemies, but it still struggles against enemies from Caco upwards. I noticed the upgraded primary attack deals splash damage to the player when hitting a wall.
Ooof, gotta look at that splash damage from the wall thing; that's not supposed to happen. :x And yeah, Dogmode does have some issues with Doom, its not quite as universally useful as carrying a shotgun (in the same way Firestorm isn't as universally useful as a Rocket Launcher, as pointed out by dawnbreez above). This sort of thing is what prompted me to start making the in-slot 2 alternatives, in fact, to patch some of the issues like this. Algor and Aestus together really give the Magisters arsenal alot more versatility, and I intend to ensure thats the case with everyone. Dagon's providing more Ranged Options for the Druid should help here.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Weapon 3: To me, the bread-and-butter of the druid's arsenal, it remains useful throughout. Primary and tertiary fires are the go-to attacks, as they're powerful even when not upgraded, and once they're augmented, they can easily clear a group of enemies. Secondary remains highly situational, even when upgraded - personally I used it more as a means to heal myself, rather than to hypnotize enemies.
Yep, Hebiko is still a big and important part of the arsenal. I added the heal to the secondary to make it more utilitarian for everyone; but actually, some the tricks you can pull with the Hypnosis are very neat. You can see me getting a Vrock and a Revenant to do some serious infighting work in the Sucker Punch II video (lol). Also, if you can Hypnotise an Archie, anything he resurrects whilst Hypnotised permanently inherits the normally temporary FRIENDLY status (and hilariously starts fighting the Archie when he recovers). As you say, its still situational (especially given you play at Difficulty 5) but its fun and can be very useful.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Weapon 4: The Ichival remains well-rounded and useful all along, and the abundance of kraters in Doom makes it a viable weapon throughout.
I'm still really happy with the upgraded Ichival and I agree, it remains super-useful as soon as its assembled, so thats good.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:All in all, the upgrades did really good in bringing the Druid to the same level of quality and adaptability as the rest of the characters, which makes her more enjoyable to use - though the Magister remains my favorite.
Jolly good!

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I look forward to trying out Dagon's rod!
Almost certainly will be out with 0.94; along with the Gladius for Myrm in all likelihood, though we're looking at July probably.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Edit: I forgot to mention the normal Kraters of Might still appear at some places. When you pick them up, they add to the modified kraters, but you can still pick them up when you have the limit of 9, thus wasting them. They appear where the pieces of the Ishival would show up, if it's already complete.
Oops, I know why that's happening. The overlimit pickup and the sprite is because its not technically a Krater there, its actually an ultimate piece spawner that has disguised itself and changed its sprite and function to give you Kraters because its realised you already have all the ultimate pieces (in the same way weapon drops change to mana once you have one). Unfortunately, its ninja skills didn't recieve the memo about the sprite change lol.

PresBarackbar wrote:Heck yeah! That looks absolutely amazing!

Thanks! :D
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:45 am

Found a tiny bug: only the first page of hints shows up in Hexen
User avatar
SallazarSpellcaster
 
Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Location: Mexico

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:35 am

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Found a tiny bug: only the first page of hints shows up in Hexen

Really? I just checked and pressing ENTER causes the next page to come up without issue until you cycle past the Druid sheet.

F1 seems to function fine as well?
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:49 pm

I just tried it - doing so from the launch screen works fine, but once I loaded a game, F1 brings up the first page, but not the rest.
User avatar
SallazarSpellcaster
 
Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Location: Mexico

Re: Walpurgis 0.93 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [HOTFIX/New Trai

Postby eharper256 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:06 am

Oh, if you mean, you can't repeatedly press F1 to cycle pages? Yeah that's just a GZDoom thing; if you F1, and then Enter, it works fine.

To my knowledge, F1 is only able to trigger the first Help page. You'll see the same behaviour in Doom. It's likely that way because all the games, by default, only have 1 help card rather than 5 like Walp lol.
User avatar
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2018
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blux001, H3LLW4LK3R and 8 guests