Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Postby eharper256 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:46 am

Added a few extra [less than 25%] pain sounds for the Myrmidon, Crusader and Magister to replace the rather crappy cut version of the falling sound that was around since the beginning.

Have also been working on replacing the burning effect with something a little less generic, though so far its not there yet.

Similarly, I know I said I'd be showing off a video of the wolf-upgrades soon (TM) but I keep deciding they're not that good and replacing them. This has happened twice now (lol). I think I'm going to have to make some more sprites to make the upgraded effects have more oomph. I am, however, now happy with the upgraded Primary (which adds a guaranteed powerful punch to every third hit).

If you have any ideas about how to how the Wolf's Ice Ball and Ground Slam could be upgraded meaningfully, please let me know!! (at the moment they both just kinda spit more ice around, which is why I'm not too happy with them!)
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby PresBarackbar » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:21 pm

I did actually have a couple of ideas for the ground slam (absolutely no idea how feasible either of these are at all): One idea I had was some kinda ground spikes popping out under enemies (kinda like those weird ones on some of the Hexen levels) and my other idea that I blatantly stole from League of Legends is maybe have the upgraded slam make a crater around where you land that could act as a barrier to make some cover or to isolate an enemy.
PresBarackbar

Postby Lagi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:00 pm

Lupin charm primary fire is one of my best melee weapons ever! the whole punch punch claw claw combo is perfect, and feels mighty. Its feel odd that it donc consume blue mana, but ok. Im afraid the third new punch could spoil the general awesomeness of this fire mode.

Ice Ball dont fit with this "weapon". A horizontal long reach leap would be better, as range weapon. You jump to the target tear him apart, go to next spot. So what it might break level? so do noclip. If you re a cheater nothing helps.

tetriary Ground Slam is a flashy, superhero move. That doesnt feel useful or practical. But its cool, as a part of werewolf "motion". I would say a roar/ice breath that freeze monster in front cone, could be thematic as quasi range attack/aoe.
------------
ball upgrade: 2 hands? faster cast?

===========
Barack idea for crater as safe space is good as an slam upgrade. You could render enemies to fly in air as 2nd (more space always useful), and crater as 3rd. upgrade
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:05 am

PresBarackbar wrote:I did actually have a couple of ideas for the ground slam (absolutely no idea how feasible either of these are at all): One idea I had was some kinda ground spikes popping out under enemies (kinda like those weird ones on some of the Hexen levels) and my other idea that I blatantly stole from League of Legends is maybe have the upgraded slam make a crater around where you land that could act as a barrier to make some cover or to isolate an enemy.

That's interesting actually; I was considering switching the slam so it was more magma themed rather than arbitrarily an ice attack. I could play around with various rising stalagmites in that case; they are possible for sure as Algor already does that (though directly underneath can't happen in case someone has compatability flags on (for infinitely tall actors from the original Doom behaviour)).

Lagi wrote:Lupin charm primary fire is one of my best melee weapons ever! the whole punch punch claw claw combo is perfect, and feels mighty. Its feel odd that it donc consume blue mana, but ok. Im afraid the third new punch could spoil the general awesomeness of this fire mode.
That's part of why it got revised a couple of times already. There was a 3rd swing attack originally, but it felt bad. The smash punch that's there now is still a slight change to how the weapon works (like Algor's Rapid Fire Spears) but it still feels good to use.

Lagi wrote:Ice Ball dont fit with this "weapon". A horizontal long reach leap would be better, as range weapon. You jump to the target tear him apart, go to next spot. So what it might break level? so do noclip. If you re a cheater nothing helps.
Think I've said this before, but you REALLY need a ranged attack on [2] when playing alot of Doom and Heretic levels; they really expect you to have one, you can't always reach things in melee, and that's why the Ice Ball is a thing. I don't want to force people to use NoClip or cheats, and jumping is something that absolutely breaks loads of levels. Its rough to assume everyone's cheating Lagi, lol.
Lagi wrote:tetriary Ground Slam is a flashy, superhero move. That doesnt feel useful or practical. But its cool, as a part of werewolf "motion". I would say a roar/ice breath that freeze monster in front cone, could be thematic as quasi range attack/aoe.
It's arguably the most useful move in some cases. Dashing past a mob of zombies in Doom or Golems in Hexen and Slamming is very, very strong (often murdering the whole pack at once). I did originally design a frost breath in the production stages of the Wolf, but it was awful.

Lagi wrote:ball upgrade: 2 hands? faster cast?

Two ice balls and you'll hardly see the screen to aim (lol); and yeah I could have it charge twice as fast but that's a bit boring.

Lagi wrote:Barack idea for crater as safe space is good as an slam upgrade. You could render enemies to fly in air as 2nd (more space always useful), and crater as 3rd. upgrade

Yeah, one of the things the upgrade slam already does is a Disc of Repulsion effect and that's the best part about it, so that'll stay.

Having a third tier upgrades is a pipe dream for the far, far, future if I'm bored. :shock:
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Been rather distracted playing Evil Genius II the last few days, so the only significant progress was re-jigging some of the wolf-modes upgrades again, and laying some of the groundwork for the Baselard Tertiary Mode, which, if I can get it to work, might be a summon-able pet/familiar, that will persist between other weapons when Illitheya summons it. Won't be massively strong because of this (it is the Slot 1 weapon upgrade after all) but can't argue with free pot-shots of damage, eh?
eharper256

Postby PresBarackbar » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Ooh that sounds good! What kind of familiar are we talkin here?
PresBarackbar

Postby eharper256 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:51 am

At the moment, I'm using Crow sprites.

Right now its just working like a shoulder mounted turret crow (lol) that fires off wind blades, but I'll probably add some movement to it since it feels a bit weird like it is.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:37 pm

This week, I've been mostly adding tweaks here and there as I was clearly losing motivation banging my head against a wall trying to do upgrades. Doom Pinkies now have a leap attack like Heretic Clinks, and Heretic Nitrogolems had their projectile changed (its still the same revenant-ish homing attack, but its changed to a ghostly palette and given a much less annoying noise).

There's also a new Item, the Philter of Vitality, that is the start of the initiative to add a few new items to the Walp lineup. This orange potion works like a BUILD game medikit; you can store up to 200 HP in it (with each drop of it giving 75 HP) and drinking it instantly tops your health off to full.

Its possible this could enable an extra optional game mode of sorts; where all HP drops in levels are removed but you start each level with a full (or indeed, overfull) Philter, mimicing Dark Souls type play. Would people be interested in that sort of thing?
eharper256

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:58 pm

eharper256 wrote:Its possible this could enable an extra optional game mode of sorts; where all HP drops in levels are removed but you start each level with a full (or indeed, overfull) Philter, mimicing Dark Souls type play. Would people be interested in that sort of thing?

YES!

Only if upon death you see a black screen and crimson letters informing you of your utter and absolute inadequacy to remain among the living.
SallazarSpellcaster

Postby eharper256 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:55 am

YOU DIED

Is entirely possible in GZDoom I believe (well, no guarantees until I look into programming it, but I think I know a good way). :D
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:31 am

So I finally got the Wolf's Slam Upgrade to a place where I like what it does.

I've entirely removed the freezing effect and cold damage that the slam used to do; and it now does physical damage instead, and also knocks foes back somewhat by default.

The upgrade now increases the knockback effect, and makes you hit hard enough to throw up small boulders from the cracked earth, which also do further knockback and damage.
eharper256

Postby Valken » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:36 pm

I had an idea for Druid progression such as upgrading powers from Wolf / Lycan to Werebear. Keep the lycan powers swift fast and powerful. For werebear, make her super strong to rip and tear with possible critical attacks such as to the heads! I dunno if it is possible to change her view height to accommodate such as 9 foot tall like a Grizzly bear.
Valken

Postby eharper256 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 am

Werebear was actually considered intially when I put ideas down for the Druid, but eventually discarded for the Hebiko Sceptre because multiple transforms (and indeed, transform progressions like you suggest) feel somewhat redundant. Would also require a new set of animations for the paws (and it was alot of work to get the current wolf-claws sorted, if you played the original 0.9 wolf you'll remember it looked a bit shit, lol).

That said, I am actually thinking about slightly up-scaling the Druid when she transforms at the moment and adding more of a stomp effect to simulate the extra weight. The main reason it doesn't happen right now is for vanilla map compatibility; several maps have sections of 56/62 height, and I'd have to investigate making an auto-crouch script (I know Baron does this already, so I guess I'd have to see how its done there for inspiration).
eharper256

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods