Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Postby eharper256 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:02 am

Tesculpture wrote:This is really cool, but in Doom, the new Baron Fireballs seem to cause Knights/Barons to infight each other. Specifically, it seems to be caused by the green ground flames that linger after the fireball's impact - they do no damage, but touching one will aggro a Knight/Baron against the one that threw it.

Oh? I'll have to check that. It's probably due to how I inherited the behaviour between the two.

EDIT: Yep, the Flame was actually set to be allied to the player and did 1 damage (which the Baron resists due to its immunity to its own attack), but which caused the aggro (lol). Fixed. Thanks for the bug report!
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby eharper256 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:14 pm

Thanks to Dubbag over at Doomworld for covering Walp (though he missed the Reload Fire entirely!) and gave a fairly amusing commentary about it:
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:26 am

Quick question for everyone, which BIGFONT do you prefer?

As 0.92 players know, the left-hand one is the current one used, [GargoyleWing] by Jimmy Paddock. I like its broad strokes and angular disposition. Its a very nice menu font and I really like it!

I've created a new one which I'm calling [FanatasticWitch], since its based on the [Fatastique Artistique] serif font with some changes, adapted for Doom font requirements, and is more organic and calligraphy-like.

Sunk cost fallacy demands I use the latter (lol), but I really like both, so I'm putting it up to vote!
eharper256

Postby Colerx » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:58 am

For me the new one on the right, feels more neat to me. :)
Colerx

Postby Kostov » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:37 am

Right.
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator

Github ID: K0stov

Postby bluedevil244 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:30 pm

dunno both look good ill say left
bluedevil244

Postby Valken » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:25 am

That was an awesome video... Makes me want to go Medieval on some rando monsters!

Can you take a screenshot WITHOUT that awful filtering?! I hate both due to that slimey look. I never use it.

I prefer pixel pin sharpness. Up the resolution of the assets if you want to smooth it out!
Valken

Postby eharper256 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:35 am

So I've got two for FantasticWitch and one for GargoyleWing so far. Good to know. I'll still keep taking votes though!
Here's a Strawpoll, in fact, if you don't want to post about it.

Valken wrote:That was an awesome video... Makes me want to go Medieval on some rando monsters!
Can you take a screenshot WITHOUT that awful filtering?! I hate both due to that slimey look. I never use it.
I prefer pixel pin sharpness. Up the resolution of the assets if you want to smooth it out!

Heh, Dubbag was enthusiastic in that video, wasn't he? It was a pretty fun watch!

A screenshot of the fonts without filtering, you mean? Well, have a cap of the font-sets directly from Slade:

You'll have to click on this one to see it up close of course. Might help others decide anyway.

I'm sorry not sorry for being a bilinear bitch. I like my filtered coffee as well. :)
Last edited by eharper256 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
eharper256

Postby Valken » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:02 am

I vote the top font, un-adulterated! :D

Or better yet, just create a patch to load after the mod so users can choose.
Last edited by Valken on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valken

Postby eharper256 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am

Guess I could offer up an extra pk3 that just has the font in it. A bit crazy though.
-----------------------------------------
Also, here's something else I've been drafting the initial spritework for today:
It's called Dagon's Cane
This will be the Slot 2 extra weapon for the Druid, in case you're not feeling like transforming into a Warg today.

As you might imagine with its red coral head, it will manipulate water, with stuff like geysers and wave-blasts planned.

The sprite still needs a bit of work (not sure how that white line got in there and some of the shading is a bit shit) but its looking pretty good for a first draft. I was umming and arring about what the alternate slot 2 weapon for the Druid would be for quite some time, with various ideas bouncing around in my head which were cool but impractical to code into Doom. I settled eventually (last week) on some kind of water powers, as I both don't have any of that yet, it fits the Druid manipulating just natural forces, and there are ideas for attack modes that I can actually code (probably).

Then I just thought 'what sort of implement would a magic user from R'lyeh use?', and this sprite just came into being (looking at images of coral and some mythos images for reference- google image search has surely flagged me as insane by now lol). Surely its absolutely safe for Illitheya to be waving it around (lol). :lol:
eharper256

Postby bluedevil244 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:05 pm

yes good idea with that staff and geysers power and maybe adding a sort of hail power too? or electrical rain ? dunno just give some idea
bluedevil244

Postby bluedevil244 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm

electric water tornadoes XD
bluedevil244

Postby eharper256 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:52 am

Lol, as entertaining as electric water tornadoes are, we're again going beyond the territory of what I could program in a Doom Mod (and a bit beyond what should be on the Slot 2 weapon, haha!).

The probable plans right now are Primary: Stunning Water Jet, Secondary: Wave Conjuring, with AOE backblast, and Tertiary: Long distance Geyser eruption. Though this is open to change if other stuff makes sense during development as always. Since this is meant to fill in for what the Dog Mode lacks (in the same way Algor and Aestus are different), it will be lower direct and AOE damage, but much better for ranged work, lockdown, and stun.
eharper256

Postby bluedevil244 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:47 am

yeah.. XD i do map for doom but not familliarl with weapond edditor tho .. i was saying to my self maybe he can add the tornado attack of the iron lich attack and add some water or electric effect i was just giving you some ideas ;)
bluedevil244

Postby eharper256 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:33 am

Yeah I appreciate the ideas. I'll usually try to implement suggestions. If it was simply adding the Lich "Tornado"; that could be done; but I don't consider that a Tornado; its more like a dust devil that annoys the player. :lol:

When I pictured a tornado I expect it to be more like what the Calicus Vortex does right now, flinging monsters half way across the map and being a bit OP, hence me thinking 'that would be a bit overpowered!'. :lol:

You'll be pleased to know, though, that the Myrmidon's Gladius has some wind-based stuff planned.
eharper256

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods