Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Postby undeadmonk354 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:01 pm

This is a fantastic update! Good work eharper!
undeadmonk354

Discord: Crazyboy88#3491

Postby eharper256 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:17 am

undeadmonk354 wrote:This is a fantastic update! Good work eharper!
bluedevil244 wrote:cool perfect !
Colerx wrote:Nce!!! Good update!

Thanks for the support everyone. The next update should be pretty cool.

I've been tweaking Tradactus (the new boss version) as well to make him a bit more threatening, and I might get around to adding in a Cyberdemon variant too (though of course Druid upgrades are the priority this patch).
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby eharper256 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:35 am

This week, most of the Hebiko Sceptre upgrades are done.

I've also added a few new sprites to Fulgur's tertiary fire (the Storm Summoning). It now has a fresh lightning impact that looks pretty cool and shakes the screen if you're standing nearby when a bolt lands!

Finally, I've been tidying up some of the code of the particle effects used by the weapons when idle, making them more robust.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:58 pm

Ah yeah, something else I forgot to mention before, that I've now finished off this evening just gone:

BRIGHTMAPS!

For practically everything new to Walpurgis!

To save my sanity, I created a Photoshop Action Macro to run the same process on every image and then touched it up afterwards. Doing 300+ sprites manually would have been... yeah... At least this way I crushed many, many hours of work into just a couple.

The Agnus Abyssus lurking in the darkness looks especially cool:

Although, a handful aren't quite so hot and still need some minor tweaks, as they don't look quite right in-game (Hebiko Sceptre looks especially odd). But still; this work is about 90% complete now. :)
eharper256

Postby Doomguy914 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:41 pm

They look awesome and will definitely compliment darker maps, (especially with Dark Doom!)

I have a quick question about this mod. What can you do with extra Tomes of Power? Playing the first episode of Heretic I had almost all the upgrades by map 3.
Doomguy914

Postby eharper256 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:20 am

Thanks.

Yeah, there is nothing extra you can do with upgrade items once you've got all 9 current upgrades right now.

I'm due to put in a routine to check whether they can be applied, and have them convert into something else if there is nothing they can do (and also stop dropping). Its one of those long, convuluted, pain in the ass pieces of coding that keeps being put on the back-burner (lol).

Heretic and Doom's item balance still probably needs a pass and a check to be honest; you tend to find more Tomes of Power and Berserk Packs than you do Maulotaur Dolls (which the upgrades replace) so I should probably make the spawners sometimes drop lesser items there. There's also an issue raised that there tend to be alot of Krater drops in Heretic and Doom, trivialising ammo sometimes.

Speaking of that; does anyone know if there is a list showing all items in vanilla maps for Doom, Heretic and Hexen? That's the sort of of info I'd need for such an endevour- If I'm able to create a quickie spreadsheet for analysis of the data of drops, that would help alot with balancing issues like this, though of course I'm never going to get complete parity in any mod covering all three games.
eharper256

Postby Kostov » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:42 am

eharper256 wrote:Speaking of that; does anyone know if there is a list showing all items in vanilla maps for Doom, Heretic and Hexen?

Maybe you’re looking for the dumpclasses command? You can use the command to sort various categories, like dumpclasses weapon.
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator

Github ID: K0stov

Postby eharper256 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:52 am

Kostov wrote:
eharper256 wrote:Speaking of that; does anyone know if there is a list showing all items in vanilla maps for Doom, Heretic and Hexen?

Maybe you’re looking for the dumpclasses command? You can use the command to sort various categories, like dumpclasses weapon.

Not that, I'm not looking for all the items in GZDoom.

Although the page its on does indicate countitemsnum which I guess I could use if I wanted to manually profile each level. Of course, if someone already has a list of, say, the number of Tomes of Power in all the vanilla Heretic levels already done, that would be far more expident, though. I'm looking for stats so I can balance drops, after all.
eharper256

Postby KynikossDragonn » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:45 pm

eharper256 wrote:Of course, if someone already has a list of, say, the number of Tomes of Power in all the vanilla Heretic levels already done, that would be far more expident, though.

It seems there's a count on DoomWiki.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Tome_of_Power#Data
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby eharper256 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 am

KynikossDragonn wrote:
eharper256 wrote:Of course, if someone already has a list of, say, the number of Tomes of Power in all the vanilla Heretic levels already done, that would be far more expident, though.

It seems there's a count on DoomWiki.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Tome_of_Power#Data

Oh, that's great, that's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about. Thanks KynikossDragonn. :)

Kicking myself for not checking out DoomWiki though. :shock:

Little wonder we're seeing too many upgrades in a given Heretic episode then; E1 has 19-24 Tomes (and I'm looking at giving away 9-11). Similarly, in E1 we're likely to see about 2000 mana's worth of Kraters on top of regular mana drops, which is alot (and would have be 4k, lol, before the recent Krater nerf). Even if several of these are in secrets now I know I can change those drops a fair bit, so its valuable info.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:35 am

For those that care about stats:

Yep, I think I need to nerf Krater and Upgrade drops by about 2/3's (lol). :shock:
Even assuming Vanilla levels have higher than average drops compared to contemporary pwads, there's alot of mana going around there. This is in addition to regular Blue and Green mana pieces!
eharper256

Postby KynikossDragonn » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:15 pm

eharper256 wrote:Kicking myself for not checking out DoomWiki though. :shock:

Little wonder we're seeing too many upgrades in a given Heretic episode then; E1 has 19-24 Tomes (and I'm looking at giving away 9-11). Similarly, in E1 we're likely to see about 2000 mana's worth of Kraters on top of regular mana drops, which is alot (and would have be 4k, lol, before the recent Krater nerf). Even if several of these are in secrets now I know I can change those drops a fair bit, so its valuable info.

Well on the Tome of Power page that's just listing the totals from every map combined in each episode, you still have to go look at each individual map's article to see the individual counts, a bit tedious but atleast somebody documented that data.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby eharper256 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:26 am

Fortunately, as you can see from above, the episode count was actually the data I was after, so I can get a general picture.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:44 pm

Some other good news: I've partially fixed Walp's issues with multiplayer co-op.

All weapon and item functions that previously checked Player1's variables are now divorced from that requirement (and instead correctly establish pointer relationships), so they should all work right regardless of which player is using them.

There are still some problems with how weapons spawn though that I'm having troubles fixing since how they work is intrinsically tied to class. I kind of expected this, and solutions I've tried aren't effective, so I've made a query on the coding forum about alternatives for this. Hopefully that'll help me out!

In the process of doing some of these fixes, I've added complex pitch tracking to several projectiles (i.e. Quietus Ball, Algor Spears) so they correctly hover in your view all the time rather than being tethered in place. And fixed the janky way the Lightbringer Prism worked (it was one of the first things I ever coded and it was kinda embarassing looking at it again, lol). As a result, it now reacts instantly to the other fire modes without delay which is awesome. :)
eharper256

Postby Tesculpture » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:31 pm

This is really cool, but in Doom, the new Baron Fireballs seem to cause Knights/Barons to infight each other. Specifically, it seems to be caused by the green ground flames that linger after the fireball's impact - they do no damage, but touching one will aggro a Knight/Baron against the one that threw it.
Tesculpture

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods