Hexen: Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) NEW RELEA

Postby Doomguy914 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 am

If you change the output resolution in OBS to 720p you'll reduce the file size massively without sacrificing too much detail. A lot of sites are starting to require a 720p limit for most video posting anyway. Youtube and Twitch are exceptions I think. Been a while since I used their services.

Under settings >Output>Recording , if you change the Output Mode to advanced you get a huge range of options for optimization.
Doomguy914

Postby eharper256 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 am

Hmm, I was on H265 rather than x264 since I figured it would be better for my AMD graphics card, but there's probably no guarantee of that; and you get a gigantic amount of options in that case, so I'll give the older encoder a shot.

I guess I should downscale to 720p as well; but I figure since Youtube accepts it I probably should do it at that resolution as a base. I know I always set my 'watch' resolution to 1080p. But yes, I'm aware that's a huge culprit in file size (probably like x4 size if I recall).
eharper256
Author of Hexen: Walpurgis

Postby Doomguy914 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:22 pm

:D The only thing I'd be concerned about with streaming to youtube and then publishing it later would be the bitrate not being able to be constant. Some areas will inevitably end up choppy in the video playback. Wasn't a huge issue on Twitch, especially with Doom mods, but from what I watched of your video, that is some high quality mapping and modding. Deserves that nice crisp 1080 if you can afford the temporary file size massive file. :D
Doomguy914

Postby eharper256 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:10 am

Doomguy914 wrote::D The only thing I'd be concerned about with streaming to youtube and then publishing it later would be the bitrate not being able to be constant. Some areas will inevitably end up choppy in the video playback. Wasn't a huge issue on Twitch, especially with Doom mods, but from what I watched of your video, that is some high quality mapping and modding. Deserves that nice crisp 1080 if you can afford the temporary file size massive file. :D

Thanks, glad you think Walp is high quality. I've worked alot on it. :)

Should have a bit more space now as I've taken Borderlands 3 off the system (lol). That bastard was using 140 Gb by itself. :shock:
eharper256

Postby KynikossDragonn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:24 pm

eharper256 wrote:Hmm, I was on H265 rather than x264 since I figured it would be better for my AMD graphics card

H265 otherwise known as "HEVC", hasn't quite yet gained widespread adoption so I don't think YouTube or Twitch will allow you to stream using that if you decide to stream. YouTube would obviously transcode uploaded videos to H264 and VP8/VP9 as is the usual standard for YouTube now, no matter what your format was prior to upload.

Make sure you're using some form of H264, x264 is a software encoder but AMD has hardware encoding support for H264. I don't know what that option would be called though.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby eharper256 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Ah, fair enough, I'll try H264 then. Honestly I know very little about the whole video recording stuff. I basically clicked options that sounded good when I set up OBS (lol).
eharper256

Postby Doomguy914 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:23 pm

The only way I learned about recording and streaming was lots of Google, and A LOT more trial and error. Thankfully OBS is VERY customizable. I could even replicate a Doom like hud into the entire overlay along with side window chat and special windows for face cam, and other announcements. All I needed was some repurposed and resized Doom.wad graphics and SLADE. OBS allowed you to do the rest from recoloring, and adding animations.
Doomguy914

Postby eharper256 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 am

Interesting; though I'm not planning on actually being a streamer for the forseeable future; its just a convienient way for people to see the mod in action via videos.

Which is why I asked Terminus and JohnSuitepee to look into Walpurgis when they had the time to do so, its nice to reach audiences that might otherwise not be aware of the mod. Mr. Icarus sempai keeps ignoring me though (lol).
eharper256

Postby KynikossDragonn » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:24 am

eharper256 wrote:Which is why I asked Terminus and JohnSuitepee to look into Walpurgis when they had the time to do so, its nice to reach audiences that might otherwise not be aware of the mod. Mr. Icarus sempai keeps ignoring me though (lol).

Well, if my mental situation ever improves, same with my internet situation, I could check this mod out and stream it as I do.

I have a game I really need to finish first though, I've just been putting streaming off so many times because I'm a absolute mess psychologically.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Postby eharper256 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:00 am

We are more often frightened than hurt, more often imprisoned in our own thoughts than trapped by reality. There is no recourse for those who value things beyond their own mind, and there is no happiness for those that rely on others. Most of all, there is no easy way. Life is fraught with peril, despair, and frustration; but you must say: so what? Happiness is not attained from having everything, it attained by wanting nothing.

Besides introducing you to the wonders of stoicism, which keeps me sane, but which is awfully depressing (lol), there's not much I can do to help you there. :)

----
In other Walp news, I've got a few of the sprites for some of the druid upgrades ready, so I should be able to start putting those together soon (TM).
eharper256

Postby KynikossDragonn » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 am

eharper256 wrote:Besides introducing you to the wonders of stoicism

hello, yes let's be friends.

In seriousness though, when I can I'll try this mod out on stream. But, I wonder if I should wait until your next update since you mention some sprites.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Postby eharper256 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:25 am

KynikossDragonn wrote:
eharper256 wrote:Besides introducing you to the wonders of stoicism

hello, yes let's be friends.

In seriousness though, when I can I'll try this mod out on stream. But, I wonder if I should wait until your next update since you mention some sprites.

I did say Soon (TM) :) . We're looking at least a month for the 0.93 update since 0.92 came out recently, so don't expect it quickly.
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis 0.92 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Postby eharper256 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:08 am

Updated the class description cards in the OP with the updated sprites from 0.92 and fixed two typos in the process.

Other related news: I've been distracted playing Co-Op Valheim (i.e. falling down chimneys to my death) with two of my buddies so not much done this last weekend (lol).

However, I now have the rest of this week off work, so I should be able to make more solid progress!
eharper256

Postby bluedevil244 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:07 am

eharper256 wrote:Updated the class description cards in the OP with the updated sprites from 0.92 and fixed two typos in the process.

Other related news: I've been distracted playing Co-Op Valheim (i.e. falling down chimneys to my death) with two of my buddies so not much done this last weekend (lol).

However, I now have the rest of this week off work, so I should be able to make more solid progress!

Woot yes it is good sometime to take a brake
bluedevil244

Postby Kostov » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:01 pm

Are the “fucks” and fetish messages in the mod really something you would imagine in Hexen? Otherwise, Walpurgis looks splendid. Will try this out in coop.
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator

Github ID: K0stov

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods