Hexen: Walpurgis 0.91 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis 0.91 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) New Relea

Postby eharper256 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:29 am

And here's an example of the class help screens; using the Druid:
I think it mostly covers the unique aspects of the class!
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:14 am

great job.

background on the left is bit too dark (behind sceptre).
you could add the weapon upgrade icon A(ntlers this case), I was confused at first what that suppose to be.
Lagi

Postby Captain J » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Loving that tile texture for the class info pic!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby eharper256 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Finished all of the rest of the parts today; so here they are!
I'll also add this to initial topic; they're a nice easy way for people to see the weapons at a glance!
eharper256

Postby AvzinElkein » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:35 pm

How come only Baratus's weapons didn't get renamed?
AvzinElkein

Discord: AvzinReborn#9162
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby eharper256 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:17 am

AvzinElkein wrote:How come only Baratus's weapons didn't get renamed?
Well, Parias always had Firestorm and The Mace of Contrition as well; I do remember those from the old paper manual. He literally can't have Serpent Staff and Wraithverge because they're gone (Crux Calicus is absolutely a different weapon entirely even though the base model is a re-skin of Wraithverge). And Daedolon's magic's became much more wide ranging; they required renames. I couldn't call Algor, "Frost Shards" anymore, because only the first fire mode vaguely resembles that, for example.

I have technically renamed the Axe (adding 'Vorpal' to it) and in the base game, the sword used to just be called 'Quietus', rather than being the sword of someone called Quietus as it is now. I always liked 'Hammer of Retribution' as a name, so it stayed. Replacing Quietus entirely is also possibly still on the cards if I ever get around to spriting it. Overall; Baratus is probably the most similar to his original Hexen counterpart. Each of his weapons has a fire mode at least similar to the original game <shrug>.
eharper256

Postby Blackgrowl » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:35 am

Hey, this is a bit similar to that "Lorebook" suggestion I gave you, although not as fancy but still very good! I love it.
Blackgrowl

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby eharper256 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Blackgrowl wrote:Hey, this is a bit similar to that "Lorebook" suggestion I gave you, although not as fancy but still very good! I love it.

Yep, well I've seen a few similar kind of suggestions now, and we're getting to the stage in the mod where things are no longer as self-explainitory as they were at the beginning, so its a good time to throw in something like this.
eharper256

Postby Turnock » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:08 pm

I really enjoy the work you have put into this mod. Makes playing through Hexen quite alot of fun, breathing new life into it. Me and my brother used to play this on N64 back in the day, one of our favorite games.
Its hard to find very many Hexen Mods, just doesn't seem to get much love. Another one of my favorite Hexen mods was Terminusest13's Old The Ranger class. Its no longer compatiable with the latest gzdoom, but its a fun class to try out, gives a unique gunslinger feel to Hexen.

Also, are you planning on making more custom classes in the future at all, or is the Druid the only planned one?
Turnock

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby eharper256 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:26 am

Turnock wrote:I really enjoy the work you have put into this mod. Makes playing through Hexen quite alot of fun, breathing new life into it. Me and my brother used to play this on N64 back in the day, one of our favorite games.
Its hard to find very many Hexen Mods, just doesn't seem to get much love. Another one of my favorite Hexen mods was Terminusest13's Old The Ranger class. Its no longer compatiable with the latest gzdoom, but its a fun class to try out, gives a unique gunslinger feel to Hexen.

Thanks, glad you enjoy it! I'm always glad to hear it. :thumb:

Don't forget you can use the mod with Heretic and Doom as well.

Turnock wrote:Also, are you planning on making more custom classes in the future at all, or is the Druid the only planned one?

There are provisional plans for others as well; possibly an illusionist/curse type mage; and maybe a fencer or lancer type fighter. If I added more, they would attempt to be distinct from the others and original, most likely.

But there are no guarantees they'll come to fruition; and if they do it'll be 2021 of course.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:19 am

In news that is simultaneously good for some here, and rather depressing for me; due to the fact I'm caught in the Tier 4 Lockdown malarky in the UK, I'm not gonna be able to see my grandparents for the usual few days at Xmas.

But that does mean I am more likely to at least get some more Walpurgis done. Still not guaranteeing a small pre-xmas update or anything, but its more likely I suppose.
eharper256

Postby Linz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:27 pm

TBH with you harper,I feel like melee attacks shouldn't alert enemies

Also I think the option to turn down some of the effects for performance reasons(like say,Firestorm's) would be great for those with lower end computers

Also it's a bit annoying having to check the map screen everytime I want to see what keys I have,couldn't it be on the HUD?
Linz

Postby eharper256 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:05 am

Linz wrote:TBH with you harper,I feel like melee attacks shouldn't alert enemies

Yeah this is something that's a bit inconsistant; some attacks do, and some do not (Druid Knife and Myrm Fists do not at the moment I believe). I guess this is something I should pick through and check.

Linz wrote:Also it's a bit annoying having to check the map screen everytime I want to see what keys I have,couldn't it be on the HUD?

Yep, I agree, it annoys me as well. This is planned when I can get around to figuring out the ZScript. It's entirely because keys are not a normal part of the Hexen HUD; which is really felt harshly when you move across to Doom and Heretic. In the interim, I ~highly recommend~ using m8f's excellent Hellscape Navigator alongside Walpurgis, they work together fine (and the automap footsteps feature is great).

Linz wrote:Also I think the option to turn down some of the effects for performance reasons(like say,Firestorm's) would be great for those with lower end computers

Potato mode is indeed planned for a future release. Firestorm already has a no-decals mode that reduces its cost slightly if you look at the options menu.

Unfortunately, its actually quite a big undertaking to implement a full 'less-stuff' mode, more than you might imagine. Due to how DECORATE works, I have program an entirely new class for each decoration or attack in question (though part of it can be written as a child class with basic parts inherited from its parent); and then whether the normal parent or low performance child is picked has to be tied to the user's CVAR choice and this has to checked each time its referenced. Its not hard work for sure; but its long and tedious.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:50 am

Sadly, it looks like I won't manage to get out a pre-xmas extra release after all. There isn't enough I feel is different from 0.91 right now to warrant it and there are still some things I'd like to tweak.

Nevertheless; I hope everyone has a happy holiday period (as much as one can, in this strange year of quarantines).
eharper256

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:13 am

eharper256 wrote:Sadly, it looks like I won't manage to get out a pre-xmas extra release after all. There isn't enough I feel is different from 0.91 right now to warrant it and there are still some things I'd like to tweak.

Nevertheless; I hope everyone has a happy holiday period (as much as one can, in this strange year of quarantines).

The fact that you have endeavored to release pre-christmas is more than enough. For now, enjoy time beside your family - and stay safe in these trying times.

Have a merry Christmas.
SallazarSpellcaster

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods