Hexen: Walpurgis 0.91 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) New Release!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis 0.91 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) New Relea

Postby Lagi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:11 pm

great stuff. I try with druid and mage, but I encounter some gameplay things that I dont like. Then I go with Fighter, and i complete whole episode!
Baratus is insanely tough, and i collect above 100 armor!!

upgrading weapon mode is great, the thing is, once you have better weapon, you immediatly spent blue triangles on best weapon, making lower tier weapon less useful. If upgrading weapon, be combine with higher mana consumption - then it would be some decision.
fighters melee attack mode dont consume mana which again make you never come back to earlier weapons.

the breaking point for druid for me was the vision change with the Owlbear mode (2nd weapon) - I just dont see nothing. It was not fun.

every class have this starting rod. Whats the purpose of it?

the armors graphic are superb, they fit great.

--------------------------
i have some complain, but maybe later i write something cohesive

this mod need in game help! just to explain basic stuff

i can just spam throwing grenade, like 20x at once, which in 1 sec kill absolutly everything

krater replenishing 200/200 mana, is OP.

i hate that Parias cannot defend with his shield. Nor deflect projectile. It doesnt even grant extra armor.

upgraded attacks are pure fun. Firestorm alt fire is insane. :P it melt my laptop :D
i think heretic maps with abundance of everything, kill all challenge with this mod.
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 am

Lagi wrote:great stuff. I try with druid and mage, but I encounter some gameplay things that I dont like.

Thanks for checking it out again!

Lagi wrote:Then I go with Fighter, and i complete whole episode! Baratus is insanely tough, and i collect above 100 armor!!

Yes, thats entirely possible in 0.91 if you manage to grab all the armour packages. Due to how Hexen AC works, this also means you'll be taking no damage; but since the Armour is taking all the hits it will vaporise very quickly!

Lagi wrote:upgrading weapon mode is great, the thing is, once you have better weapon, you immediatly spent blue triangles on best weapon, making lower tier weapon less useful. If upgrading weapon, be combine with higher mana consumption - then it would be some decision.

It should still be a decision simply due to the fact that you should run dry of that mana if you keep using the same weapon. That said; I think this might be a Heretic thing that I may need to balance closer to the 1.0 release since Heretic generally has a high density of SIX different ammo types; all of which gets converted to the two mana types! I'll have to play more Heretic levels I guess, lol.

Lagi wrote:fighters melee attack mode dont consume mana which again make you never come back to earlier weapons.

I mean, this is balanced by the fact that the Hammer is slow, and the Axe is faster/weaker, but again, the balance is lost a bit if you upgrade the primary fires I guess (as the axe becomes stronger, and the hammer faster). I may need to re-consider those upgrades if its a problem.

Lagi wrote:the breaking point for druid for me was the vision change with the Owlbear mode (2nd weapon) - I just dont see nothing. It was not fun.

You can change it in the Walpurgis Options menu. This is in the Readme and the Changelog! :shock:

Its now colour by default, but if you've played 0.9, that CVAR is already set in your INI, so you'll have to change it manually.

Lagi wrote:every class have this starting rod. Whats the purpose of it?

It's a Wand of Hitscan. It's for triggering switches that require you to fire a hitscan projectile. Especially needed for people to play Romero's SIGIL and hit those eye things, as they're often across lava and chasms. There are a few secrets in Doom where you fire at something to open it too.

Lagi wrote:the armors graphic are superb, they fit great.

Thanks!

Lagi wrote:this mod need in game help! just to explain basic stuff

Yes I suppose I should draw a Help card in photoshop eventually. I'll put it on the list.

Lagi wrote:i can just spam throwing grenade, like 20x at once, which in 1 sec kill absolutly everything

Well yeah, 20 Flechettes will probably kill anything. But then you're down 20 Flechettes. Again, might be Heretic giving you too many, will look into that.

Lagi wrote:krater replenishing 200/200 mana, is OP.

Again, there shouldn't be too many Kraters lying around, but in retrospect perhaps they might be a bit too common. I'll consider nerfing them or their drops.

Lagi wrote:i hate that Parias cannot defend with his shield. Nor deflect projectile. It doesnt even grant extra armor.

You CAN deflect projectiles; see the video where I do it (https://youtu.be/A141FsIOq90?t=13). The timing must be precise though; you have a 9 tic window (around 0.3 seconds) in which everything bounces off your front. Holding a Shield up for immortality would be very, very hard to make sane and balanced in a Doom game, where I don't have a Stamina meter or anything. Parias instead has the highest Passive armour to account for the Shield (he will never drop below 20 armour, if you look).

Lagi wrote:upgraded attacks are pure fun. Firestorm alt fire is insane. :P it melt my laptop :D

Yup, everyone loves Firestorm! (except that one guy at Doomworld).

Lagi wrote:i think heretic maps with abundance of everything, kill all challenge with this mod.

Yep, I already thought that might be it. Thanks for the balance information, its something that needs to be worked on in general. Doom should be alot better to play in this release (in theory) so Heretic probably needs a similar overhaul.
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:22 am

for heretic maps: you could sometime replace some ammo with random monster. like 50% chance crystal would be blue mana or gargoyle.
krater with +100/+100 would be ok
shield deflect works! even better with upgrade.

with shield and mace i still have the 20 basic armor, even if change to lightbringer its still 20. Selecting shield is no advantage in this regard. I understand that if i have shield on my back it protect me somehow, but it should work better if i wield it in my hand.

reload mace attack, with upgrade is a charge, that very often turn Parias around, which is odd.
unupgraded is useless... ok , let me read that manual
oh no readme is written in some story mode. Still I have no clue. Ok i deal more damage, but its slower

-----------------------------
i get to shattered bridge e3m7, playing without running (walk all time), pistol start. Still heretic maps are too easy. I obliterate absolutely everything. Im collecting lots of garbage (artifacts) that i absolutley dont need. I would turn off Hitscan rod, because it piss me off when i scrolling equipment list. On some map i have Crox Calicious faster than fire storm.

Parias weapons feel even more powerful than Baratus! Firestorm alt fire (fire font?) its a hands down most powerfully feeling attack in any game that i play - ever! This conflagration make me scare, that its a real fire.

Cross alt fire is terrifying as well. impressive show of some cosmic powers.

... ok, now i would check next dude.
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:42 pm

Lagi wrote:for heretic maps: you could sometime replace some ammo with random monster. like 50% chance crystal would be blue mana or gargoyle.
krater with +100/+100 would be ok
shield deflect works! even better with upgrade.

Yep the upgrade makes the deflection the same as the Centaur; before then the shots will ricochet away from you.

Lagi wrote:with shield and mace i still have the 20 basic armor, even if change to lightbringer its still 20. Selecting shield is no advantage in this regard. I understand that if i have shield on my back it protect me somehow, but it should work better if i wield it in my hand.

Maybe I'll consider a very minor Protection Class Powerup to always be active when you've got the Shield out; guess that could work (i.e. you get 10% extra Damage Reduction vs. Physical).

Lagi wrote:reload mace attack, with upgrade is a charge, that very often turn Parias around, which is odd.
unupgraded is useless... ok , let me read that manual
oh no readme is written in some story mode. Still I have no clue. Ok i deal more damage, but its slower

There are no Tertiary Fires on the Basic (1) weapons until you use an upgrade item to make them.

The charge attack is rather odd at the moment; and yes it misbehaves. I need to find a better way to code it and detect enemies as that's the main problem (it takes 1 tic to detect and then 1 tic to react, and sometimes that then makes the player spin as we're trying to face them to attack but you've already passed by).

I wouldn't say the readme is a gripping story, but I guess the narrative style is hard to translate if thats what you're doing (sounds like it). Sorry about that, I come from a creative writing background. :D
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:41 pm

with Parias shield, i would increase his armor (not sure how its calculated into damage reduction), so player see the change in UI.

if you aim for narrative manual, then go for graphic pdf (use hexen 2 sketches).
--------------------
Dandealion is a lot harder to play (pistol start, no run, hard difficulty, episode4 - i reach apostate e4m6). I think his walk is also slower? IMO his weapons are great as well, nice tactic challenge. I never use his last weapon :/. Lightning is great (Fulgur?), all 3 fire modes. I enjoy tertiary from 1st telepathy weapon, I think not-upgraded tertiary should just lift single enemy into the air (let he drop down on his own).

on multiple levels i pick up twice ice and electric spell. Not sure if I'm unlucky, but it could be an upgrade instead.

Again, all the mana management is pointless, if you can just drink Krater.

with the Time Bomb in Heretic, if you come close to the wall, you can throw the bomb up, on the ledge. Looks like you change the code, and i can no longer do the same trick with Magisters Exploding potion. I thinks its bad, even if quirky this maneuver is a great fun.

-------------------
druid.
new bow colors looks great, shooting with arrow is fun. I would make this runic writing shine less often - increase the pause between blink.

tundra warg form could have some graphic indicator of weapon selected. Last time it was Owlbear, so i presume you looking for some nice beak?
Warg paws damage is not enough. Its the weakest melee in game. I would increase the recovery time after each hit, and multiple the damage 2x (or maybe even more). If you want quick attacks - choose 1st weapon - sword.
Second: this warg form could have some boost to armor, or at least more HP (HP regeneration?)

serpent staff is good. All attack mode are nice and fit thematically.

I didn't find anywhere any upgrades for druid, so i presume they are not done yet?
ideas: upgrade sword - double swords. Upgrade throw - the sword flight in straight line. Tertiary - finisher high damage, long recovery.

in general consumption of blue mana by druid is very low. Warg spell and stomp are very slow attacks. I think I would give ammo requirement to Warg Paws, and some freezing effect to justify that.
OR
let transformed druid self heal, at the expense of blue mana. THIS would be very interesting gameplay wise.

graphic wise - druid is the weakest. Her potion plant. Outline of serpent staff. Warg paws. Sword.

--------------------
i find antlers with druid - which seems to be the upgrades, but there is nothing in my inventory

---my subjective weapon esthetics rating
1-poor
2-average
3-good
4-best
----------
2.5 gauntlets
2 axe
3 hammer
3 sword

2 mace
3 lightbringer
4 firestorm
3.5 crux

2 vis tele
2.5 algor ice
4 fulgur lightning
2 agnus

1 baselards-reverse grip
1 lupin transform
2 sceptre serpent staff
2.5 ichival bow
--
Spoiler:
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 am

Lagi wrote:with Parias shield, i would increase his armor (not sure how its calculated into damage reduction), so player see the change in UI.

Because of how queer AC is from Hexen, you can't actually add it directly; it is defined in the playerclass itself, which only recognises certain items. The current armour package system abuses an interesting exploit, adding those items, to get around it, actually.

Lagi wrote:Dandealion is a lot harder to play (pistol start, no run, hard difficulty, episode4 - i reach apostate e4m6). I think his walk is also slower? IMO his weapons are great as well, nice tactic challenge. I never use his last weapon :/.

Yes, he is the slowest,though he actually runs at the same speed as Doomguy/Corvus, and the others are faster than normal. He mitigates this with the knockback he gets with his (1) and (3) and preventing movement with the (2) tertiary.

With pistol starts you will generally have problems assembling an ultimate; which is a shame, the Agnus Abyssus is amazing. :D

Lagi wrote:Lightning is great (Fulgur?), all 3 fire modes. I enjoy tertiary from 1st telepathy weapon, I think not-upgraded tertiary should just lift single enemy into the air (let he drop down on his own).

Fulgur is in a good place now, so that's great.

Again, there is NO tertiary on the Basic (1) weapons. If you press it BEFORE you upgrade it, it instead uses the Primary Fire. The tertiary Force Crush is indeed also loved by everybody.

Lagi wrote:on multiple levels i pick up twice ice and electric spell. Not sure if I'm unlucky, but it could be an upgrade instead.

This is because of your Pistol starting. The Spawners check what weapons you have at the start of the level, and if you already have it, spawn something else. Since you don't have anything if you pistol start, both the Crossbow and the Dragon Claw would have become Algor, and the Phoenix Rod and Hellstaff would have become Fulgur, and any Maces or Gauntlets would have become Weapon Pieces.

Lagi wrote:with the Time Bomb in Heretic, if you come close to the wall, you can throw the bomb up, on the ledge. Looks like you change the code, and i can no longer do the same trick with Magisters Exploding potion. I thinks its bad, even if quirky this maneuver is a great fun.

The Proximity/Arcane Flechette is indeed coded entirely differently, since it searches for monsters and explodes if one comes near.

Interestingly, you can do this 'ledge trick' with the Algor Tertiary Fire (the pillars of ice) though. If you stand next to a ledge, they will be summoned on top.

-------------------
Lagi wrote:druid.
new bow colors looks great, shooting with arrow is fun. I would make this runic writing shine less often - increase the pause between blink.

Good good, I'm fond of the new Ichival.

Lagi wrote:tundra warg form could have some graphic indicator of weapon selected. Last time it was Owlbear, so i presume you looking for some nice beak?
Warg paws damage is not enough. Its the weakest melee in game. I would increase the recovery time after each hit, and multiple the damage 2x (or maybe even more).

Hmm, I crunched some numbers; and the Wolf's expected DPS is slightly less than Baratus' Punch, though slightly more than the Baselard (with its poison), and a bit more than Parias Mace. It does still have the longest reach of all the melee, but perhaps it should be buffed a bit. Thanks for the feedback.

Haha, its because you thought my Wolf snout was an Owlbear before that I removed the snout (lol), because it doesn't look very good anyway. Kinda stuck with that one; no-one liked the black and white vision, and no one liked the snout, so now we have neither (lol). I might have the claws hover in front of the player in future.

Lagi wrote:serpent staff is good. All attack mode are nice and fit thematically.

Yep, Hebiko is good.

Lagi wrote:I didn't find anywhere any upgrades for druid, so i presume they are not done yet?

That's right, I wanted to make sure Druid's base was balanced first.

Lagi wrote:i find antlers with druid - which seems to be the upgrades, but there is nothing in my inventory

With a Give All, you will indeed get this upgrade item, but it doesn't do anything yet.
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:57 am

eharper256 wrote:
Lagi wrote:on multiple levels i pick up twice ice and electric spell. Not sure if I'm unlucky, but it could be an upgrade instead.

This is because of your Pistol starting. The Spawners check what weapons you have at the start of the level, and if you already have it, spawn something else. Since you don't have anything if you pistol start, both the Crossbow and the Dragon Claw would have become Algor, and the Phoenix Rod and Hellstaff would have become Fulgur, and any Maces or Gauntlets would have become Weapon Pieces.

pistol start is how each map should be played. I would add a code on pickup, if you already have this weapon, you randomly upgrade 1x attack.

I want snout.

I notice on other wads (can recall where now), there are vision upgrades, that make you see actors (monster, items) highlighted. This would be an interesting trade off.

can you add option to disable the Hitscan wand? it annoy me in inventory.
Lagi

Postby Linz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:02 am

Soooooooo

What can we expect for the next update?

Definitely looking forward to the ultimate weapons getting upgrades
Linz

Postby eharper256 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Linz wrote:Soooooooo

What can we expect for the next update?

Definitely looking forward to the ultimate weapons getting upgrades

Patience, young padawan. :) I'm on cooldown for a little while, of course. Having a couple of weeks off after each major update allows me to review what happened, and see how people react, and of course, prevent me getting burnout.

After that, I may get a smaller update out for Xmas with some lesser things if I get around to them. A few people, Lagi included, have now asked for a in-game help-card, so that's something I can add in fairly easily. Then I'll possibly be starting on the alternate in-slot weapons, bestiary additions, and druid upgrades. Ult upgrades are after all the others are done and balanced, so are probably around the 0.94 sort of area.
eharper256

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods