Hexen: Walpurgis 0.91 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) New Release!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis 0.9 (For Doom, Heretic & Hexen) POLL Pg

Postby PresBarackbar » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm

Yeah I just want to second that I really loved the Menelkir attacks. Looks much more interesting to fight against!
PresBarackbar

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 pm

A monster mod specifically made to counterbalance the comparatively high damage output of Walpurgis' weapons might be the best choice.

In my experience, since this is a gameplay mod, Walpurgis is already incredibly compatible with almost every monster mod out there - since it replaces weapons and items, and does nothing to monsters themselves, monster replacers work exceptionally well. I've tried Walpurgis with Colourfull Hell and randomizer mod whose name I can't recall (The .pk3 is called GZDoomHeXenC3, in case this helps) and I've had a blast playing with both of these on Doom and Hexen respectively; in Colourfull Hell's case, there are absolutely no compatibility issues - monsters there drop stock Doom items which are transformed by Walpurgis into its own items, you still get upgrade items, kraters, discs of repulsion, flechettes, the whole deal, only it's imbalanced in favor of the player, as you become overstocked with items and are, as such, virtually immortal.

In the second mod's case there's only a slight incompatibility, as it replaces some of the items with its own variants - most notoriously, the Quartzine Elixir and Crystal Vials of Curing are replaced by common quartz flasks and crystal vials, but their effects remain the same.

I've also played through TC mods which use Hexen as its basis, most notoriously BigProjectAlone's Mortila. In this case, the weapons worked flawlessly, and the items placed in the world were replaced by Walpurgis variants. The only incompatibility I found was the TC's store system, as it gave the player stock items and weapons which weren't replaced by Walpurgis, but otherwise it worked almost flawlessly.

Point being that as long as you are mindful of the load order of the mods you use, and load Walpurgis last, it works near-flawlessly with every other mod that doesn't replace weapons and player classes. I hope you find this information to be useful.
SallazarSpellcaster

Postby eharper256 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:51 am

Here's another video of Menelkir in a more revised form, and being fought in his natural habitat (Hexen Map 27) rather than my test map. The close confines of his boss chamber are what makes his original fight tough (assuming you don't spam him to death with Wraithverge or Bloodscourge, which is the typical strat lol); and its no exception in his revised form.

His old fireworks attack with the invincibility frames has now changed to considerably more deadly shockwaves which are downright nasty in the small space if they corner you (handily enough, you can leap over the worst of the damage, lending this fight into a frenzied move rush).

He may still get extra sprite work and slight tweaks; but he's looking quite decent now.

Lagi wrote:this menelkir boss wideo is jaw droping.
monster itself as sprite and animation is meh. But his attacks are mastercrafts. All looks amazing and looks fun to dodge, like in some BulletHell game.

I swear my self to stop playing computer games :D - maybe I try Walpurgis this weekend... as a review ofc

Thanks; the sprite itself is a recoloured Realm 667 sprite, which is itself a modified D'Sparil as far as I can tell, so yeah its not unique or anything. And yes, the attacks are indeed supposed to be very Touhou-like, and this is emphasised even more in the new version above. :)
And all reviews and balance comments are appreciated as always. :)

PresBarackbar wrote:Yeah I just want to second that I really loved the Menelkir attacks. Looks much more interesting to fight against!

Yup, none of the three human bosses are really fun to fight in the Base game; they're just 'Imma gonna circle strafe like a bitch, spamming ma ult'. This is almost okay for Zedek, but fighting against Wraithverge and Bloodscourge's homing madness is basically trial and error and perfect timing with Repulsion Discs (or spam, as noted above).

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:A monster mod specifically made to counterbalance the comparatively high damage output of Walpurgis' weapons might be the best choice.
In my experience, since this is a gameplay mod, Walpurgis is already incredibly compatible with almost every monster mod out there - since it replaces weapons and items, and does nothing to monsters themselves, monster replacers work exceptionally well.

One thing to note; it DOES actually replace every monster right now, most notably giving several enemies modest boosts to HP and Speed. Things like Ettins and Centaurs have revised attack schemes to make them a bit more deadly, most of the lower tier Doom cast has their HP buffed quite alot, and their hitscan attacks are slowed down a few frames to make melee'ing them less of a chore (and I'll eventually get around to removing the hitscans entirely). And literally everything has burning, shock and freeze effects added to them for when they're affected by various attacks.

The boosts are fairly tame compared to most monster mods, but they are there. So yeah, if you want monster mods to take precendence over what Walp does to the cast, you'll need them to load last in your order. But its good to know its compatible.
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I've tried Walpurgis with Colourfull Hell and randomizer mod whose name I can't recall (The .pk3 is called GZDoomHeXenC3, in case this helps) and I've had a blast playing with both of these on Doom and Hexen respectively; in Colourfull Hell's case, there are absolutely no compatibility issues - monsters there drop stock Doom items which are transformed by Walpurgis into its own items, you still get upgrade items, kraters, discs of repulsion, flechettes, the whole deal, only it's imbalanced in favor of the player, as you become overstocked with items and are, as such, virtually immortal.

Yep, Colorful Hell does make the assumption you're running without an inventory system by default, as its made for Doom, of course, so where those drops might be more balanced normally, things might go out of whack.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:In the second mod's case there's only a slight incompatibility, as it replaces some of the items with its own variants - most notoriously, the Quartzine Elixir and Crystal Vials of Curing are replaced by common quartz flasks and crystal vials, but their effects remain the same.

Looks like its this? Basically every sprite-rip ever turned into a monster. :shock: Tough to find the link for it, but got it with some google-fu.
This would be because, if it loads first, it renames ArtiHealth (the Quartz Flask) and CrystalVial to something else, and so, when Walp loads and tries to do the same, those items no longer 'exist' as such.

As an aside; if we went with option B; I would not support this or things like it, probably. Its a gigantic heap of uncommented code... 31000 (!) Lines in a single file! :shock: That would require me to do staggering amounts of support work to the point where I'm basically re-writing the entire monster mod.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I've also played through TC mods which use Hexen as its basis, most notoriously BigProjectAlone's Mortila. In this case, the weapons worked flawlessly, and the items placed in the world were replaced by Walpurgis variants. The only incompatibility I found was the TC's store system, as it gave the player stock items and weapons which weren't replaced by Walpurgis, but otherwise it worked almost flawlessly.

Good to know. Yes I imagine the shop system spawns the basic items specifically by name, which wouldn't be intercepted by Walp as it would occur outside the gamespace.

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Point being that as long as you are mindful of the load order of the mods you use, and load Walpurgis last, it works near-flawlessly with every other mod that doesn't replace weapons and player classes. I hope you find this information to be useful.

Pretty much as expected, but still very useful information.
eharper256

Postby Lagi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:35 am

The druid concept is great, it fit.

Bear form should increase your height i think?
Bear gameplay, claw attacks, ice spell and esp. ground pound are awesome.
However visually the paws looks like made in MSpain - no offense, they do the job.

bow look underwhelming. Golden daub.
--
fighter gauntlets are fun as they were.
axe is good. alt fire power backslash could have 2nd animation
hammer is perfect
sword reload attack is great.

cleric
so you cannot cover behind shield? its only bash
fire spell marvelous upgrade
wraithverge feel worse than in vanilla.

mage
ice spell is great gameplay wise lots of options, love it. Visually could look better - more frosty :).
lighting spell is TOP NOTCH.
ultimate wand looks fun.

=======

in general the quality of effect for attack you creating are mind blowing! Its very fun to observe what the weapons do. All this lights show. I absolutely love the fire effects for hammer and firespell, the flame looks very natural, with the particles and colors.
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:15 pm

Lagi wrote:The druid concept is great, it fit.

Bear form should increase your height i think?
Bear gameplay, claw attacks, ice spell and esp. ground pound are awesome.
However visually the paws looks like made in MSpain - no offense, they do the job.
Nope, they were definitely made in Photoshop. :lol:
Had to be said, haha. But you're right, animal anatomy is certainly not one of my strong points.
And its a were-warg, in theory.

Lagi wrote:bow look underwhelming. Golden daub.
Ichival is almost certainly going to get some overhauls. What does Golden daub mean?

Lagi wrote:fighter gauntlets are fun as they were.
axe is good. alt fire power backslash could have 2nd animation
hammer is perfect
sword reload attack is great.
Myrm's in a mostly good place, so good to hear. The Torpedo on Quietus will probably get a further tweak to make it more ultimate; as its probably the weakest.

Lagi wrote:cleric
so you cannot cover behind shield? its only bash
Its also reflects projectiles and hitscans if you time it right, and you are very briefly invincible (for about 7 frames). Hunkering behind the cover would unfortunately be too powerful... or very weak, so no, its not going to happen.

Lagi wrote:fire spell marvelous upgrade
wraithverge feel worse than in vanilla.
I'm surprised you don't like Crux Calicus, it generally gets positive reception for the Vortex Shot and powerful shield-wall. Its primary is probably going to be slightly tweaked, but its in a good place. Everyone loves the Firestorm Font!

Lagi wrote:mage
ice spell is great gameplay wise lots of options, love it. Visually could look better - more frosty :).
Not sure how it could possibly be made more frosty... though technically its the power of ice shaping, rather than frost per-se, so its not meant too anyway.

Lagi wrote:lighting spell is TOP NOTCH.
ultimate wand looks fun.
Thanks. Fulgur has been long suffering, but its finally as awesome as I wanted it to be. Agnus is great as well.

Lagi wrote:in general the quality of effect for attack you creating are mind blowing! Its very fun to observe what the weapons do. All this lights show. I absolutely love the fire effects for hammer and firespell, the flame looks very natural, with the particles and colors.
It always surprises me, how games don't understand how fire works very well most of the time. So, yeah, the flames exotic spirals and curling into embers was something I spent awhile getting right, and I think everyone notices the effort, which is nice to hear.
eharper256

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:18 pm

Hello!

Quick question about the monster changes - specifically Menelkir: Have you considered, since you already had the attacks of old Bloodscourge coded, letting him use them?

Think of it as the three Deathkings having their own relics -Bloodscourge, Wraithverge and Quietus- and facing off with the weapons of the four heroes. That would also keep the bosses more or less in line with the inventory items needed to access Korax, and prevent the attack redundancy from vanilla Hexen.
SallazarSpellcaster

Postby Lagi » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:19 am

eharper256 wrote:Golden daub mean?

sorry google translate - golden stall toy trash... feeling

I definetly vote for option A. Hand made stats for monsters!!
Lagi

Postby eharper256 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:03 pm

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Hello!

Quick question about the monster changes - specifically Menelkir: Have you considered, since you already had the attacks of old Bloodscourge coded, letting him use them?

Think of it as the three Deathkings having their own relics -Bloodscourge, Wraithverge and Quietus- and facing off with the weapons of the four heroes. That would also keep the bosses more or less in line with the inventory items needed to access Korax, and prevent the attack redundancy from vanilla Hexen.

Unfortunately, that would horribly un-fun, in all likelihood. Base Bloodscourge isn't fun to fight; and having to face the old amp'ed up version from pre-Agnus days certainly wouldn't. Him using a single shot of the old carpet-bomb skulls in his small chamber would be absolutely devastating to the player, and him having both perfect homing on the primary and the roflcopter to accompany him as well... yikes... :x

So yeah, that's not likely to happen. If the symbol matching is an issue in terms of lore, I can easily re-sprite something else to replace that texture. Might be a good excuse to use my favourite Mage Association from my tabletop games; the Ten-Sided Octagon. :)

Lagi wrote:sorry google translate - golden stall toy trash... feeling

Ah; so garish... or plasticky.

Feels bad man. I spent quite awhile making Ichival... :(
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:50 am

Poll's Closed! With Option A the victor. with 59% for custom bestiary to 41% for monster mod compatibility.

Though Option B had a surge of popularity for a while, the early lead for the full custom bestiary never dissapeared over the week. An interesting result to be sure.

In the meantime; I've been working on Tradactus and Zedek, and will hopefully preview them in a few days.
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis 0.9 (For Doom, Heretic & Hexen)

Postby eharper256 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:16 am

Here's the preliminary version of Zedek; the leader of the Legion. In many ways the opposite of how Menelkir behaves (all of Menelkir's attacks make you back away and shift around), Zedek is constantly up in your face, trying to remodel it with his Hammer of Retribution, whilst running around like a berserk nutter (read: A player). :lol:

I think I need to tone down his 'raaghs' a bit, but he's looking pretty good so far. As you can tell, he finishes me with a sparta-kick off the top for style points :D .

In other news; I've been starting on customising other parts of the bestiary; already we have some new fireball sprites (for Imps and Chaos Serpents), and I finally got around to removing the hitscan from Doom Zombies in favour of Tracer based attacks. I've also been re-balancing and re-jigging a few weapons based on people's (and my own) feedback. Among other things, the Crux Calicus primary fire is now souped up, and the Quietus Torpedo charges much quicker and no longer explodes in your face.
eharper256

Postby PresBarackbar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:16 pm

Wow! Looking pretty awesome!
PresBarackbar

Postby eharper256 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:04 am

PresBarackbar wrote:Wow! Looking pretty awesome!

Thanks! :D
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:24 am

Here's the final one of the three Deathkings; Archbishop Tradactus; who is now a more fancy Bishop with blue and white robes.

Like his subordinates, he flies, and main attack is a more deadly double-version of their streaming fire. But the main problem here is him poking in and out of his little warrens, speeding around, and freely summoning more wraiths and bishops to try and dogpile you.

You can also see some other changes for 0.91 in this video. Notably; the Crux Calicus primary fire has been given a big touch-up in graphical and audio department; as well as a slight damage boost. Secondly, a long requested feature: the Torch item is active here and it now works using proper flickering yellow dynamic lights!

Let me know what you all think! :D
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:17 am

A BIG Thanks to everyone for 25K views in just over 9 months! :wub: :wub:

Though I'm never gonna have the userbase of a big Doom related mod nor the some of the olden goldies, I like to think this is a pretty good milestone for a Hexen mod that came out of no-where! Walpurgis has come quite a long way from the first version I threw out in February and arbitrarily titled 0.7; but as we approach the 1.0 version, I'm honestly proud at how much cool stuff I've managed to make for it! :)

All that gets powered by people checking it out and leaving comments, either here, on Doomworld, or on the Discord. So, as a bonus for the 25K; if there are requests for content you'd like to see added that you've not posted before, let me know, and I'll think about adding them (assuming they are within the bounds of the plausible!).

If you like Walp; don't forget to vote for it and your other favourites, at m8f's Community Works thread.
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:49 am

Me failing miserably as the Walpurgis Druid at the most recent DBP megawad (DBP21), which involves gloomy autumnal environs.

Besides displaying my incompetence with modern wad difficulties, this serves as a showcase for some of the new effects that are being added to the Doom Bestiary when you play with Walpurgis on: Zombies are no longer hitscanners, Imps and Barons have awesome looking projectiles, and so on. The eyecandy is getting a fair bit of extra treatment for the 0.91 version!

Get DBP29 here: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/thread/117873
eharper256

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods