Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Postby Lagi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm

if you cheat the weapons with Rambo - the sword will break immediatly - because cheat rambo is also give you all the nicks on the blade.
try go to console (press button ¬ : left from number 1) and type:
summon sword

staff light is only updated with "hungry" version. I will upload the full version now too (with music and hires textures). Im still hunting bugs.

barrels yes: it works this clunky way. sorry. You cannot throw barrel not fungus on enemies. Hmm... interesting feature. Will look into it in future.
Main purpose of lifting barrel was to place it near the edge and climb up (breaking level sequence :D). to climb press shift (hide weapon) and press space near some edge.

----

do you have any feature requests? suggestions? (except throwing barrels as weapons :) )

=========================
edit:
both version (main 96 mb and hungry 23 mb - no changes reupload incase) updated can be notice by:
- you should see more weapons with torches (f.ex. shield+torch),
- fungus green ball should now explode with gas
- more lights here and there (it could be burden for some weaker PC)
Spoiler:

============

todo:
remove from Rambo cheat:
- speed up item
- nicks on sword blade
"its stupid"

-add fire death for serpent from Sold soul (did i mention Sold souls is compatible? expect level e1m7 where you need to cheat NOCLIP to get out of gate, for some reason).
-make lifting barrel less clunky
- add one death for myth warrior
- increase damage of some monsters? minotaur for sure
- start working for ettin as sabreclaw replacement 50% of time.
- zardaz feel not complete
- iron lich reduce amount of knockbacks. Its annoying.
Lagi

Postby Lagi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 pm

insignificant update (main post, also "hungry")

after watching some YT, i decide to make more intrusive help on title screen, with info:
-turn off blur
-bind reload key
-bind weapon wheel key
-use block
-bind items quick use keys

... im quite sure it increase pleasure from playing it

other:
-gargoyle fire projectile deal more min damage (5 instead 1- exactly like vanilla)
-sword durability is reduced by 33%. It faster get broken. [I manage to complete whole level without changing sword to other weapons.]
-i recolor gauntlet charge icon.
-zombie dont spawn into the wall anymore.
-crossbow alt fire deal more min damage.

[maybe i will draw some death sequence to justify moddb update in future :D]
Lagi

Postby kalensar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 pm

Just going to say that I freaking love this mod. Super fun.
kalensar

Postby Lagi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:23 pm

kalensar wrote:Just going to say that I freaking love this mod. Super fun.

thanks,

i just play some master heretic maps. Bitter is too easy.

I think i would increase monster hp by about 50%, but if monster is stun by the block he is still as easy to kill. this would incline player to block more. and nerf grenades power. Freezing Spell book would be more potent, cause you could freeze and shatter monster to pieces faster.

it seems there is too many pickups on the maps, even fandom made. I think i would replace some pickups with more monsters.

The best would be if i could make my own maps :D , i could then scale monster power better, so you would feel the threat: like zombie < alive warrior < golem < undead warrior (green skeleton). Ironlich could be buff, as he would not be used as a mob. then i can divide weapons into 2 group: starting and late game pickups. ... this and other fantiasies...
Lagi

Postby Lagi » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:58 am

I was playing some maps, and I added more hp to monsters. To my suprise it increase the challange without being a drag. Im using more resources, and the game is more fun.

update bitter and hungry:

Normal difficulty monsters have +50% HP
Hard difficulty monsters have +100% HP

all monster take 3x damage when stun from block

mace has slower rate of fire
shield hit do less damage
gold wand - reload behavior change, its more blocking now

undead warrior and myth warrior - behading animation twisted a little (added blood, head fly slower).
Lagi

Postby StraightWhiteMan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:14 pm

Thanks for the update Lagi. Increasing HP on enemies should be an interesting improvement, and the 3X stun damage is a nice way to balance it out.
StraightWhiteMan

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Talles » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:28 pm

I really liked this, its fun, and intense, its almost perfect to be honest.

The only thing that i didn't like that much is those warriors that spawn instead of golens, i can take take then out just requires patience, but, they get worse as the game progresses, to the point that this guys are just pushovers and annoying, i mean, yeah there is ways to deal with then, but this guys are everywhere, and in big groups later on, it gets really tiresome, not so much to the point to make the mod bad or anything, but they really makes me tired. If they only spawn less and something else could spawn more instead of then, something more agressive to spice things up, it would be a great improvement.
Talles

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Lagi » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:57 pm

thanks for your feedbacks, it helps a lot.

I remove shield block from warriors when they are in pain and in melee - they only block from a distance, however the distance is sometimes 2 meters away from player :D (and crossbow mainfire stop penetrate warrior shield block).
also they are waving sword and shield in air - it was healing them. I remove that. Now this cheering is doing nothing (except alerting monsters).

because warrior is blocking less, he swing his sword more so he is more agressive. Hope that helps.

and I draw alt pain pose.

i was trying to remove gib death from stick, but apperantly the zscript function is not working properly with it.
Lagi

Postby Talles » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:17 pm

Nice, thank you.
Talles

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Lagi » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:42 pm

cosmetic update bitter and hungry link on 1st page:

new death animation
increase sound volume of warrior

Armors no longer absord some points of damage. Its 33% helm/shield/chainmail, 50% hauberk, 75% plate armor. Armored player will take more damage now.

Disciple dealing more damage from shooting his 3x purple orbs
Wendigo dealing more damage when punching in melee
Lagi

Postby kalensar » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:35 am

I really love this new update. It is a silky smooth style and really fun. Seems easy at first but as you get deeper and get jumped by surprise boss fights and the Ghost versions of enemies, the heat really gets turned up in a good way. I was skeptical about the Torch, especially with all the different weapon combos going on, but the Ghost Golems made me learn the hard way to keep a torch on hand.

A+ and Super fun. Highly recommend to any Heretic lover because this was really satisfying even into the later episodes.
kalensar

Postby Lagi » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:40 am

kalensar wrote:I really love this new update. It is a silky smooth style and really fun. Seems easy at first but as you get deeper and get jumped by surprise boss fights and the Ghost versions of enemies, the heat really gets turned up in a good way. I was skeptical about the Torch, especially with all the different weapon combos going on, but the Ghost Golems made me learn the hard way to keep a torch on hand.

A+ and Super fun. Highly recommend to any Heretic lover because this was really satisfying even into the later episodes.

main purpose of torch is to provide light - illumination. The vanilla levels of heretic are all too bright.
thats why Bitter is design to play with Dark mod. Also the levels decoration are emmiting lights.

then in complete darkess, having torch in one hand is very good. Or throwing the torch on the floore like a flare (bind it to 't' in setting)

if you dont care about not seeing a thing in pitch black rooms, then torch doesnt have such a big value, because illuminaiton is not a problem.

---------------------------

thanks a lot for droping post, it feels very nice :)

im working on compatibility with doom (but its more hard that it seems at first).

weapon damage is not properly balanced. I just increase monster HP with difficulty, for artifcial challange.

last time i play Bitter, the blocking feature irritate me when there is swarm of monsters, because its too slow - trasition from parry to attacking, and parry stun is not affecting multiple monsters at once. I think i will add multiple seqence blocks, which would need some more sprite job.
Lagi

Postby Lagi » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:29 am

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have a block behavior in Bitter mod, that when moster hit player that blocking in melee, the monster stun, stop moving and exposed himself for melee (also taking more damage).

Till now i code it like that:

i give monster item CANSTUN
i give monster pain state STUN, to be able to intterupt monster attack animation
i make each time player block, player shoot an arch of invisible projectiles, that if they hit monster with CANSTUN, interupt his attack animation
this create problems with Blocking projectile hitting somehting in his path, or hitting water and making a splash, or hitting a ice corpse
sometimes the melee sequence of monster is interupt (usually by infight monster from behind) and he is forever (till next melee attack) resistant to all pains, because the A_takeitem CANSTUN sequence was not executed...

......... shortly speaking a BIG mess..

And today i solve it all with 1 line of decorate code:
Code: Select allExpand view
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory ("blockstun", 1, "stun", AAPTR_TARGET)

i put this line of code in melee sequence of monster
when player block he recieve BLOCKSTUN item (and take it back when parry end).
when monster hit in melee player with BLOCKSTUN item, he GOTO stun.

I can even make half melee swing animations for monster, before he gets stun - it looks better, more immersive.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

there is some downside, as it will block all attack from 360 degree around player, but im cool with that - if player dont see monster he dont know when to block. Still it would be used like that when player is surrounded by monster, but its even better, increase survivability.

now I need to delete all this old code with blocking projectiles from all weapons and monsters.
Lagi

Postby kalensar » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:42 am

Lagi wrote:
i put this line of code in melee sequence of monster
when player block he recieve BLOCKSTUN item (and take it back when parry end).
when monster hit in melee player with BLOCKSTUN item, he GOTO stun.

I can even make half melee swing animations for monster, before he gets stun - it looks better, more immersive.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

there is some downside, as it will block all attack from 360 degree around player, but im cool with that - if player dont see monster he dont know when to block. Still it would be used like that when player is surrounded by monster, but its even better, increase survivability.

now I need to delete all this old code with blocking projectiles from all weapons and monsters.

Cool mechanic and inventive. I think you can just built the Stun projectile as a "Projectile" Flag rather than have it work as a 360* sphere. You can set up the projectile like:

ACTOR StunBeam
{
Radius 5
Height 5
Speed 7
Damage 15
Projectile

States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 8 Bright Spawnitem stunner/// your stunner code

Stop
}
}

This was something I cooked up on a mod that was actually used a projectile blocker while swinging. It's actual animation was a throwing dagger, but it only went out to basic melee type range of Speed 7 + 8 frames = about chainsaw normal range. The important part of the code is the speed + frames equals distance, and not using a death state on the projectile.

Or you can attach the Stun effect to the death state of the projectile. I didnt use a death state because then the projectile increases it's range to normal projectile style.
kalensar

Postby Lagi » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:38 pm

thanks, but the whole point of my new method is to avoid all this "stunning blocking projectiles" shoot by the victim of attack !

now i checking if monsters target (player) has item Block in inventory, IF YES monster goto stun sequence - thats it !

Code: Select allExpand view
Melee:

WARR MLKJIL 3 A_FaceTarget
   WARR M 2 A_JumpIfInventory ("blockstun", 1, "stun", AAPTR_TARGET)
   TNT1 A 0 A_startsound("warr/attack1")
    WARR M 4 A_CustomBulletAttack(0,0,1,random(3,8)*3,"Golempuff",90)
    WARR N 6
    Goto See
Lagi

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods