Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Postby Lagi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Colerx wrote:Nice work Lagi!
A little question, does the torch exist as standalone addon for Hexen?

i dont know,
i think its not hard to make one, for torch as new weapon.
Overlay probably would be needed for some universal application, some weapon may look strange with hand holding torch on the left side
Lagi

Postby Karl515 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Can you post a version without the music and the high res texture pack? The game lags a bit while playing with the mod and having to download all of those again when there's a new update just feels inefficient to me.
Karl515

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby Lagi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:26 pm

Karl515 wrote:Can you post a version without the music and the high res texture pack? The game lags a bit while playing with the mod and having to download all of those again when there's a new update just feels inefficient to me.

Sure, I would look into it this weekend.

=================

I play Bitter a little with dark doom mod. And im completly sold now! At first I was like, I dont see a thing, but then luminescence start to be part of gameplay! i start throwing ice crystals just to light up the room for a little. and the game looks much more moody
viewtopic.php?t=57247

Bitter heretic is dead easy mod. Even on Very Hard monster are barerly any challange at all. But if you cannot see them, things start to be insteresting.

• ice block - alt fire from book should create light for second
  • afrit should create light all time
  • tar before explod should give a little light. The candle is burning on top.
  • chicken is not giving light when burning
    .... some other i forgot
  • there is not enough torches on map

Last edited by Lagi on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lagi

Postby Yebudoom » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 pm

Lagi wrote:
Karl515 wrote:Can you post a version without the music and the high res texture pack? The game lags a bit while playing with the mod and having to download all of those again when there's a new update just feels inefficient to me.

Sure, I would look into it this weekend.

I was about to ask for the same thing, for similar reasons. A version without the music and hi-res textures would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Yebudoom

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Lagi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:30 pm

bitter heretic no HR texture no music

only 22 mb

is it less lagging on your PC?

-----------

-try to compress music
-try to implements better liquids (for non HR version)
-try to make access to HUD options less convoluted
Last edited by Lagi on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lagi

Postby Karl515 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:04 pm

Yep, that did the trick. I wish someone will make something like this for DooM. As fun as it is to run around beating up some monsters in the classic Heretic levels, DooM has the best megawads.
Karl515

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby Yebudoom » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:21 am

Lagi wrote:bitter heretic no HR texture no music

only 22 mb

is it less lagging on your PC?

Perfect, much better! Thanks!

Would it be possible to divide the mod to two parts? One part would be optional and contain the non-essentials like the new music and textures, and it wouldn't have to be updated. The other part would be essentials only, like this "Hungry" version you've just uploaded, and you would only have to update this one. Would it be easy or too much hassle?
Yebudoom

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Lagi » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:32 am

When i download some wads, i only load single file into ZDL, cant be bother with any add-ons/patches/ whatever...
apparently lots of folks dont like HR textures ("muah pixels!") and music is extra 36 mb - significant amount of users are from south sudan so we need to respect that.
keeping 2x files in main page will result with me confusing what update I do where. I need to think about it.

I wish too someone port bitter heretic to doom.wad
doom compatibility means you can switch all actors (monster, pickups) to Heretics ones - the solution i prefere. need to make a list what replace with what.
Or you could fight with pinkies and archviles... which is against theme, and Im fed up with doom monsters (when i was kid i play more doom than heretic), plus doom monsters are pop culture now.
Lagi

Postby Doomguy914 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:34 am

Spoiler:

Good to see I converted you to the Dark Doom Side! Yeah It really adds a lot of atmosphere to any wad you play, really. As soon as I'm done with my RLA playthroughs, I'm going to record and upload some Bitter Heretic footage on the hardest difficulty!
Doomguy914

Postby Lagi » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:55 pm

Insignificant hungry only update:
-bag of holding grant 2 torches (there are whole episodes without torches on walls!)
-full-screen status bar is available from option menu, and there is no sub menus.
-myth warrior is cheering without standing on his toes - isometry view fix. todo is walk animation(which would be hard).
-compatibility with sold soul (nerfed stats for Cultist, Serpent, Wyvern, death knight)
-add zarduz with neoworms hand projectiles - as lich 33% replacement. [pain frame, ice death frame, +1 attack frame (only front)]
-myth warrior walk, isometry of feet fix.

list done!
myth warrior now looks much better in game. It fit better into 2nd perspective. Still I could improve feet position here and there. But im in peace with it.

hmm... I guesss i would start drawing behading death animation now.
1 out of 6 sprites (almost done)

almost almost done
Lagi

Postby Lagi » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:26 am

[only hungry update]
myth warrior has new death - beheading

i also rename most head deaths to Death.Headshot so it should be compatible with Critical Shots - Headshots, Backstabs and Crits!

nahh... it dont work reliable

-------------------
i am thinking about removing mace as starting weapon
add ettin from hexen who will drop mace - replace whom? I think sabreclaw. THere is not soo many golems on maps (expect episode1, close to none on customs). And Sabreclaw is quite overused.
torch would need to be separated from mace

EDIT:
i again break my vow to never again play episode 1 :D, i hope when i die i would not see the HighScore with longest play game during live being Heretic Ep1 :D
not sure why, but i stop liking Nashgore mod. Its like overdone gore? the game feel more brutal without it.
mace would be spawn 50% with gauntlets. This would give you strong melee weapon.
axe need torch akimbo. im not sure how to solve torch with darkdoom. like a switch weapon? its annoying during combat, but you can throw it like flare.
light on crystal wand is still wrong. I think it need to be cheaper to light up in first place.
warriors "heretic!" sound is too often. Reduce to 1/3.
remove no healing tips, its annoying.
warrior need more melee range, than activation range.

ghost monster annoy me. I think i would change all of them to alternative monsters. And give every monster chance to spanw as ghost?
Lagi

Postby Lagi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:37 pm

update hungry - this one would be buggy i presume, i spent whole sunday fixing logic issues (like when you have axe and torch, and throw all axes, you still has axe with shield weapon).

Mace is no longer a starting weapon. Corvus start only with Elven Wand. Mace is 50% spawn with gauntlets - so you either have gauntlets or mace per level - which is nice.

Myth warrior, no longer use Centaur Immortal on/off state. Instead he spawn in front of him "shielding actor". So you can move around him, and hit him in the back.

I add weapons for every combination of Mace, Axe, Torch, Shield (including only shield, and only torch) - total 10x "weapons".
I make this addons, because of DarkDoom mod, where light source is crucial.

Goldwand light on switch cost only 1 charge (same as shooting once). Corvus will reload only when crystal is flickering. Light dont switch off if you strike with staff.

I increase damage of few monster (gargoyle, warrior). If you run (shift) you take 3x more damage. Still the game is (too) easy.

edit:
added gloving lava floors
Last edited by Lagi on Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagi

Postby Doomguy914 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:42 pm

This just keeps getting better and better. Once I'm finished uploading my RLA vids, I have to give this update a whirl! :D
Doomguy914

Postby Lagi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:42 pm

• lava both type is glowing in dark
  • Axe + torch have block. to burn with torch you need to make single cut, wait for torch burn, and then you can hold fire, to constantly burn
  • compatibility with Sold Souls (monsters, weapons) - could be some bugs. but you can burn freeze poison stun Cultist, and serpents.
  • monster respawn time on VeryHard increase 3x
  • exploding fungus (this green ball) - is now leaving gas, which create a great traps (esp if you could pick up the ball (hold shift & use)). also i add some green exploding lights.
  • myth warriors when cheer they alert all nearby monster. With i think work good.
  • elven wand have +50% of ammo.

sword is very nice weapon (it works much better than before) I have lots of fun on sold soul E1M3.
going behind myth warrior, is not such game changer as i thought. :D
setting key for throwing torches, is very important with darkdoom. I love the play with lights now, it add another dimension to the game.
I think myth warrior need one more alt death (belly open?), would be cool to damage his shield - but this means i need to draw whole new monster MythWarrior without shield :D

edit:
add lights to tome of power (blue), hammer missile explosion, fixed to wall torch, Sold soul 2x decoration dsparil statue, and ceiling brazier.
edit:
new tomeof power icon
more response ice corpse to shatter
faster opening tome of power
wendigo +10hp
serpent 400hp
reduce sword damage
Lagi

Postby Ophidahlia » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 pm

sword is very nice weapon (it works much better than before) I have lots of fun on sold soul E1M3.

Oh cool, did you reduce the chance of it breaking? It's breaking for me after 1-2 swings nearly every time. Do you have a download for this update? I can only seem to find the version from March 11th.

Also, I downloaded Darkdoomz and it really fits with with grittier, low-fantasy vibe you're going for. The staff light isn't totally working for me though (even when I just load only heretic.wad and the bitter heretic pk3), it turns off both when I sprint and when I do a melee bonk with the staff. Any idea why it isn't working for me?

Last question is about picking up stuff. I can pick stuff up and drag it around kinda clunkily, but is there a way to throw barrels at enemies or am I not getting some other intended use for the feature?

This mod freaking rocks, btw. Amazing work.
Ophidahlia

Discord: Ophidahlia
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods