Universal Entropy v3.666b - The Universal Randomizer

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amdcrash

Re: Universal Entropy v3.666b - The Universal Randomizer

Post by amdcrash »

bLUEbYTE wrote:Hi amdcrash,
I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, and I don't get these black background behind green aliens in a loaded game.

What version of GZDoom are you running? Make sure it's up to date. Do you also have this issue with other IWADs?
Also, are you running some sort of software rendering mode? That has not been tested so I have no idea how it would behave with color randomisations.

You might want to try disabling monster recolouring.
i have gzdoom version 4.2.2 and i'm using OpenGL with hardware accelerated render mode, it does happen with other iwads such as The Ultimate Doom and doom II hell on earth.

i tried disabling monster recolouring but the problem is still there.

it worked fine until a few hours ago though, which makes this problem very odd.
bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Yeah sounds a bit odd to me. and you are below the minimum version requirement 4.2.4.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

The black background issue also seems to appear in 4.4 versions and 4.5 dev versions of GZDoom on both OpenGL and Vulkan renderers upon loading a save after restarting GZDoom and even sometimes appearing on seemingly random animation frames on recolored enemies without having to restart the game and load a save. The issue seems to be with just the coloring, but I'm not 100% certain.
phantombeta
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

That's most likely caused by this bug.
BradmanX

Post by BradmanX »

phantombeta wrote:That's most likely caused by this bug.
You're probably right about that.
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

BradmanX wrote:The black background issue also seems to appear in 4.4 versions and 4.5 dev versions of GZDoom on both OpenGL and Vulkan renderers upon loading a save after restarting GZDoom and even sometimes appearing on seemingly random animation frames on recolored enemies without having to restart the game and load a save. The issue seems to be with just the coloring, but I'm not 100% certain.
I don't remember seeing this in 4.2.4 or 4.3.x. I posted in the bug thread linked above. Thanks for reporting! I admit I could have tried better to reproduce this issue that amdcrash notified of a while ago.

I'll see if something can be done in UE to work around this.
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

If you've been put off by the above mentioned issue which made some monsters appear with a black background after loading a saved game, well, I have good news for ya.
Today I finally got around to upgrading to the latest GZDoom and I'm happy to confirm that the bug is fixed in version 4.5.0!
BradmanX

Post by BradmanX »

Awesome, I was missing having randomly recolored enemies and decorations ^_^
krimson painkekk

Post by krimson painkekk »

I've tried a few times, with monster resizing bias "BIG", and it turns out like monsters stuck/wander in the waiting for spawn area, can't spawn into the map properly.
The game runs as usual and there's no error message displayed on the console section. Does anyone know how can I "fix" this problem?
Icecold988

Post by Icecold988 »

kinda unrelated but do yall just spawn random demons until you get an giant ultra chad? :o
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

krimson painkekk wrote:I've tried a few times, with monster resizing bias "BIG", and it turns out like monsters stuck/wander in the waiting for spawn area, can't spawn into the map properly.
The game runs as usual and there's no error message displayed on the console section. Does anyone know how can I "fix" this problem?
Yes that just means that the monster was spawned in an area (such as a monster closet) with a doorway that's lower than the monster's altered height, hence can not cross below it. The way resizing works is that it ensures that the monster's resized body fits, however this does not guarantee unrestricted movement in the immediate vicinity, so in effect the monster can get 'stuck' in some instances.
kinda unrelated but do yall just spawn random demons until you get an giant ultra chad? :o
uhm... what?
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

Is it just me or i can't do vibrant color anymore in the last version. It's either normal, dark, or washed out.
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Meyers07 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:43 pm Is it just me or i can't do vibrant color anymore in the last version. It's either normal, dark, or washed out.
Sorry for the incredibly late reply, but I've been away from the these forums for a while.

I was happy to see my mod still works on GZDoom 4.10.0, with the exception of the 'liberal' (in hindsight, weird naming) mode now indeed looking much duller than how I remember it. Either a bug slipped into the final release or ZScript changes have caused it.

Can't promise anything but I may cook up a 4.0 release with this bug fixed, plus a couple of things I have in mind.

Thanks for the report.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

bLUEbYTE wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:49 am
Meyers07 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:43 pm Is it just me or i can't do vibrant color anymore in the last version. It's either normal, dark, or washed out.
Sorry for the incredibly late reply, but I've been away from the these forums for a while.

I was happy to see my mod still works on GZDoom 4.10.0, with the exception of the 'liberal' (in hindsight, weird naming) mode now indeed looking much duller than how I remember it. Either a bug slipped into the final release or ZScript changes have caused it.

Can't promise anything but I may cook up a 4.0 release with this bug fixed, plus a couple of things I have in mind.

Thanks for the report.
Very good mod, is there a way maybe to make the color difference more subtle or pick a range of colors? Maybe something to think about?
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

cosmos10040 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:33 am Very good mod, is there a way maybe to make the color difference more subtle or pick a range of colors? Maybe something to think about?
Hmm, yes that's a good idea actually. The degree of resizing can be controlled, and it'd make sense for this to be the case for recoloring too.
As you've probably discovered, the conservative recoloring mode (default) is the closest you'll stay with the original colors for now.

Added to my TODO list for version 4.0.

Regarding your other idea; I am not sure how one would implement a color range picker. Do you have any screenshots or such of how it would look in terms of configuration interface?

Thanks for the kind words and suggstions.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”