Universal Entropy v3.666b - The Universal Randomizer

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZDL_800

Re: Universal Entropy v2.3 - A Universal Randomizer

Post by ZDL_800 »

Bluebyte what is this sorcery?

We'll test it out no problem, fantastic.

Thanks again.
bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Universal Entropy v3.0 - A Universal Randomizer

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Version 3.0 is live! Download from the first post.
What's new?
* Random recolouring of monsters in practically infinite colour combinations!
* Monster size now affects their melee range, float speed and how much they can be pushed around or knocked back.
* Monster damage, speed and painlock chance are affected less by their size.
* Revert the default randomisation range to a saner value of 0.25, and the maximum to 0.50.

edit: There was a minor bug in the 3.0 release. I just updated the file, please re-download 3.0b if you had downloaded 3.0.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Cool. High Minimum Brightness makes enemies look really nice.
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Yes, with the current color blending, the defaults result in somewhat darker enemies. I like it though, the dark ones add lots of variety IMO. In the future versions I will probably add additional color blending options. Currently it is multiplicative, and I'm planning to have an additive color blending option as well. That would make things brighter by definition.
pikio96

Post by pikio96 »

This is such an excellent mod!
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

version 3.1

You can now choose from 3 color blending types for monster color randomization:
0 : somewhat reminiscent of original colors (default)
1 : colors will have more variety, original colors will be replaced
2 : pale and cartoony

Fix deprecation warnings
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Universal Entropy v3.1 - A Universal Randomizer

Post by BradmanX »

Like the new update, I've only tried the default color mode so far, so I haven't seen what the other modes can do yet, but it's nice

Edit: After some further testing, do you think you can add an option to make things with the Friendly tag unable to be recolored and stuff, because it seems to recolor companion mod NPCs too.
bLUEbYTE

Re: Universal Entropy v3.2 - The Universal Randomizer

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Thank you for the kind words and feedback.

Here's 3.2:
- Add an option to enable randomization for the friendly; off by default. (thanks BradmanX)
- Monsters now have their reaction time adjusted based on their size; small means quick.
- Change recolorisation blend type 2 and make it a 3-way average; looks better now.
- Convert random values from (float) to (double)
namsan

Post by namsan »

Hey, can you add an option that restricts some enemies from getting randomizer effect like changer color or body shape?
I love to see fat enemies, skinny enemies, or weird blue enemies, but I don't want to turn all enemies to recolored or fat enemies.
If I can make only 10% or 30% of enemies to get randomizer effect, this mod would be more epic.
BradmanX

Post by BradmanX »

bLUEbYTE wrote:Thank you for the kind words and feedback.

Here's 3.2:
- Add an option to enable randomization for the friendly; off by default. (thanks BradmanX)
- Monsters now have their reaction time adjusted based on their size; small means quick.
- Change recolorisation blend type 2 and make it a 3-way average; looks better now.
- Convert random values from (float) to (double)
Sounds awesome, unfortunately, it appears there still might be issues with alot of companion mods, particularly those based on on old Brutal Doom code, like Isabelle, Ralsei, and Susie or the Brutal Friends mods, since they don't always have the friendly tag (Though they are unchanged when they do, so the option is definitely doing it's job when it can :D), nor do they start with it, so unfortunately it seems like a more complicated solution may be necessary for them to be completely or mostly unchanged by the mod.
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

Didn't expect this to work with Brutal Doom (although once an enemy stopped moving as in dead they will change into default color), but i only enable color swapping because randomizing size mess up the hitbox.
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Hey, can you add an option that restricts some enemies from getting randomizer effect like changer color or body shape?
I love to see fat enemies, skinny enemies, or weird blue enemies, but I don't want to turn all enemies to recolored or fat enemies.
If I can make only 10% or 30% of enemies to get randomizer effect, this mod would be more epic.
Yes, this should be in the next version, if there's to be one.
Sounds awesome, unfortunately, it appears there still might be issues with alot of companion mods, particularly those based on on old Brutal Doom code, like Isabelle, Ralsei, and Susie or the Brutal Friends mods, since they don't always have the friendly tag (Though they are unchanged when they do, so the option is definitely doing it's job when it can :D), nor do they start with it, so unfortunately it seems like a more complicated solution may be necessary for them to be completely or mostly unchanged by the mod.
Not surprising. Thank you for confirming it.
Didn't expect this to work with Brutal Doom (although once an enemy stopped moving as in dead they will change into default color), but i only enable color swapping because randomizing size mess up the hitbox.
I believe BD spawns hitboxes as actors, to implement things like critical hits points, which of course would not have the resizing applied to them.

It is a shame that so many mods have dirty hacks all over the shop; if they actually adhered to proper ways to do things in code, then we would not see such 'issues'. I can not, and even if I could, would not fix or work around the bad design decisions and bad programming practices of other mods. The engine itself has some limitations in places too, so I understand that some mods do things in weird, roundabout ways because they have to.

As cheeky as this might sound, I am quite happy with the current state of the mod and enjoy playing it at default settings. It has come farther than I first envisioned, and I believe is close to a final version.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Oh boy, now I can have my moo moos in many flavors now. :D
BradmanX

Post by BradmanX »

Yeah, I can definitely understand your stance on not planning to implement a bunch of workarounds to circumvent the problems caused by some mod's being hacky. That being said, I'm sure there's probably people who could/would help you with it if you did want to try and take a stab at it in the future though, particularly in the case of BD and BD based mods, like Ik Mikk implemented something to get BD and PB enemies working properly with Champions.

Regardless though, this mod is fantastic and I'm gonna continue to enjoy it despite the minor issues it has with some mods :D
bLUEbYTE

Re: Universal Entropy v3.3 - The Universal Randomizer

Post by bLUEbYTE »

I've tried to incorporate m8f's great suggestion that was animation speed scaling, but wasn't able to get it working. viewtopic.php?f=43&t=66778&start=30#p1141311

Here's hoping that someone more skilled than me can take it to the next level!

edit:
Version 3.3 released:
- Make monster recolorization chance adjustable(thanks namsan), name the options
- minor code refactoring
Last edited by bLUEbYTE on Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”