Universal Entropy v3.666b - The Universal Randomizer

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Universal Entropy v2.2 - A Universal Randomizer

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Captain J wrote:Eyup, this is universally randomized, alright! It feels like i downloaded all the monster resources from Realm667 and just dragged the whole thing to GZDoom without crashing or corrupting my game. It's really neat and adds a lot of variety to it.

But i'm wondering, is the enemies also has their own damage and health output? I can't figure it out because the enemy roaster is a lot various than usual. Good mod!
Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by "own damage and health output?"

This mod affects monster HP and Damage (among a bunch of other things) by altering it -20% to + 20% at the default settings. No actual new monsters are added but all monsters in the map plus all spawned monsters get the effect.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The dedicated numeric output of each enemy replacements' Damage and the HP. So... Yeah, that's the answer i was looking for. Thanks!
TXTX

Post by TXTX »

I'm just simply a sucker for randomization mods. This looks hilarious and fun!
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Looks like Universal Entropy has a bit of an issue with Rampancy, this happened after enemies were alerted https://i.imgur.com/rMaA138.png
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

BradmanX wrote:Looks like Universal Entropy has a bit of an issue with Rampancy, this happened after enemies were alerted https://i.imgur.com/rMaA138.png
Thank you for reporting this apparent bug.

I made a change which should fix it. Please try with version 2.2b linked in the first post. I was able to load up Rampancy at map01 and did not get the crash.
BradmanX

Re: Universal Entropy v2.2b - A Universal Randomizer

Post by BradmanX »

The patch did indeed work, I played an obaddon episode with Universal Entropy, Champions, Lt. Typhon, and Rampancy and it worked just fine :D
Nems
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

I'm having a real blast with this. Always nice to see more randomizers. :D

I do have a question regarding how it works on monsters though. How does the randomization amount slider work? I'm guessing the higher the variable the larger the range of randomization?
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Nems wrote:I'm having a real blast with this. Always nice to see more randomizers. :D

I do have a question regarding how it works on monsters though. How does the randomization amount slider work? I'm guessing the higher the variable the larger the range of randomization?
Glad you're enjoying it :D

The slider controls the variable ue_rr, which is the randomisation range.

For monster randomisation, monster's width and height are independently multiplied by a random value between: (1.0 - ue_rr) and (1.0 + ue_rr)

So, at the default ue_rr setting of 0.2, what this means is the modified height and width will be between 80% and 120% of the original value. At 0.35, it would be between 65% to 135%.

The general 'heft' of the monster is the resulting width x height, so at ue_rr = 0.2, the smallest resulting monster would be 64% of the original, and the biggest 144%. The health, voice tone, damage, movement and projectile speed, pain chance, mass of the monster is also scaled based on that 'heft' value.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hi, this is pretty neat mod - suddenly, even the vanilla bestiary feels much more varied with just simple adjustments! I was wondering if you could do monster tints as well ala Champions? Not necessarily paint the whole thing green for example, but give different sorts of complexions to monster sprites. Is that possible?
BradmanX

Post by BradmanX »

Yeah, I like the mod quite a bit and kinda agree with MsrSgtShooterPerson, there being some other optional aesthetic changes would be kinda nice if possible
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Hi,
That's a good idea, and I did think about it, but I don't think the resulting monsters would look good, because of the resulting uniform tinting... I wish it was possible to control the clothing and skin color independently, then surely this would look good.

I actually just tried to give this a go regardless, but only got a ZScript error when I attempted to read or modify the monster's RenderStyle property.

Another potential new feature I tought about was randomly resizing or coloring the decoration objects, but then realised it would look odd in symmetrical settings. For example, two chandeliers at either side of a door, one short, one long, would look a bit odd I think. It would be nice to apply random resizing to organic objects such as stalagmite trees, but then I would have to have an explicit whitelist of object types to apply it to, which would run against the universal nature of the mod.

So yeah, this is a bummer. I would be happy to see and would encourage other modders to have a crack at it, though.
BradmanX

Post by BradmanX »

Random resizing of the decorations would be neat, even as just an optional thing
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

I'd really like to have an option to limit the deviations of the visual aspect ratio, that will at "0%" preserve AR and only change the size, while at "100%" will behave like it does now.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

The WAD is nice, but I do feel like the Spider Mastermind looks a little harder to tell it's sizes from and I might be unlucky anyways, but I feel like I really had not been able to hear many of the higher or lower pitched ones in compare to the normal spider mastermind.
bLUEbYTE

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Random resizing of the decorations would be neat, even as just an optional thing
There is no way to tell an object is a decoration as far as I know - if there is a general way to do it, do let me know. Unlike monsters for example. I would need to have an explicit list of types to check for to determine a thing is decoration. And I am not willing to do that. If there was a flag like bIsDecoration, I would have done this. Sorry :?

edit: Raised a feature suggestion for this at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67698.
I'd really like to have an option to limit the deviations of the visual aspect ratio, that will at "0%" preserve AR and only change the size, while at "100%" will behave like it does now.
Will be implemented in the next version, although it may end up being a toggle rather than a slider.
The WAD is nice, but I do feel like the Spider Mastermind looks a little harder to tell it's sizes from and I might be unlucky anyways, but I feel like I really had not been able to hear many of the higher or lower pitched ones in compare to the normal spider mastermind.
The mod has checks in place to ensure that the resized monster would fit in the space it's in, otherwise it would get stuck. IF the new sizing is bigger and it wouldn't fit, it does not resize the monster. The spider mastermind is HUGE, and I am sure that was the reason you haven't run across a resized one, yet. If they are placed in open areas or high ceiling buildings with ample space, they will get resized as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”