[v2.5a /idgames Release!] Zen Dynamics: A ZDoom Revolution

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Xaser wrote:Well, the knife fight is actually the first thing you do in Map08 after the two 'cutscenes' of sorts (the elevator crash and the weapon stealing). There's no need to warp, as it's at the beginning of the map, really.
Oh cool, I'll see about recording a demo when I play next.
Xaser wrote:My Cookified edition actually has been remixed before by Snowrazor (formerly known as Destroyer, for clarity's sake)
I have that one. That's where I got the inspiration to mod it.
Xaser wrote:[same guy as above] has remixed quite a few AWESOME and AMAZING series songs, including Sand In Your Eye. I can send a few of them in your direction if you'd be interested. :P
Cool, I was only aware of Jupiter Rings. I'd be very interested in a copy.
Da_maniaC

Post by Da_maniaC »

Yay, i finished it again.

The improvements made since the first version have really been for the better.

Compliments to the author.

Though i think the cutting rate on the machette could be a little higher. :P
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Xaser, I tried playing Zen in multiplayer yesterday, and the reloading script dosen't seem to like multiplayer, do you think you could fix the reloading script up so it works with multiplayer?(same goes for the objective script as well)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

@Bio: I e-mailed a file to you with a bunch of random (and rather odd) remixes. I just hope I got the right address. :P

@KoF: I have no clue how to even begin to coop-ify Zen's scripts. They're a bit too much on the complex side... Out of curiosity, though, what errors are they displaying?
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

They're not displaying any errors, just that the weapons won't reload, it pretty much forces me and the other person to use the machete.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Ah, of course. The simplest reason for this is that the scripts are not marked as 'net-safe' (meaning they are allowed to be puked in a netgame). I'm sure the reloading would still cause all sorts of problems as well, though. The entire mod would screw pretty badly as well due to major scripting and no planning on having different player numbers.

I guess out of curiosity's sake, I'll net-mark the scripts for the next release, whenever the hell that may be. :P
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I think more testing may be needed for that. It should have produced a script error if that was the problem... you might need to rewrite them to accomodate the entire list of players.

And people wonder why I want to do as much with DECORATE instead of ACS as possible.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Xaser wrote:I guess out of curiosity's sake, I'll net-mark the scripts for the next release, whenever the hell that may be. :P
Yay! Thanks Xaser. Once again, cool mod, one of my favorites :)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

For a wad like this, co-op support is really something that should be planned ahead, since retrofitting things which have reached this level of complexity could be really problematic. If it's still going to be done, the major things really are:
  • 1. As mentioned, scripts which are meant to be puked should be marked as net safe.

2. All scripts should be run through to check for parts that would not work appropriately in a situation with multiple players. From there, you either rewrite them to work appropriately or create a branch with if (GameType() == GAME_NET_COOPERATIVE) or some other check.

3. The design of any problematic areas need to be reworked to avoid problems that will create impossible scenarioes (e.g. Player1 enters a room, the door seals behind him because it's a trap. Player2 cannot enter. Player1 dies and respawns. Both players are now trapped outside and the map cannot be completed).
If all of those were somehow appropriately taken care of, everything should largely work functionally and you would only have balance issues to contend with (placing enough ammo, more monsters etc...). However, barring how much work it may take, I'm not even sure co-op would go over great with Zen Dynamics. The maps are relatively small, closed quarters maps which would just become too cramped with even more players.

The short version: It could wind up being a lot of work with little to show for it. Sounds like a fun thing to try though.
Induna

Post by Induna »

Nice wad, very different indeed. In fact, it didn't feel like Doom at all. It was refereshing to have new weapons and new enimies. Having to learn their attack and force new gameplay.

However, I have to admit I always thought the reload system was flawed. The beauty of Doom was the ability to shoot and not think about reloading. There's nothing worse than being caught in the middle of a battle and having to hold your dick in your hand whilst you reload. Just like with modern FPS. It would have been nice to have an option to turn off the reload system and revert back to the old, blast until you have no ammo gameplay.

Also, some of the fancy weapons are just useless, just ike modern FPS, you only end up using the most useful weapons like the dual plasma smg's, the ego smasher shotgun, the handheld machine gun found on map08, the nail gun and the flamethrower. The asault rifle is good but fills up the screen and obscures the view slightly.

And those bloody maelstrom things are a pain. They seem to appear in cramped areas and in groups slowing the frame rate down to a crawls pace. I think it would have been better to limit these things to one or two in open areas, at least you have a chance to get out the way of there attack. A couple of the enimies were a bit naff like the imp warlord. I hate those eniemies that block attacks.

But still, I appreciate the effort you've put into this with the story and graphics as it looks fantastic in GZDoom. Good work.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Xaser: Bear in mind that inventory functions always use the activator unless a different TID is entered. Since a different TID is not present AFAICT, they will use the calling player, which means the scripts should be safe in MP.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

I played this wad again. Xaser rules without any doubts!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Okay fair enough this is an awesome one, but i'm tired of it now. Can we have something new now? ;)
Alterworldruler

Post by Alterworldruler »

The zen dynamics rules! and xaser is the god :P reloading adds some difficulty in some situations :)
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I think it's about time to officially release this project.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”