Survival Horror Doom BETA 3

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Survival Horror Doom (ALPHA 0.8)

Postby mrtaterz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:44 pm

ALPHA 0.8
  • Physical bullet sprites changed to PUFF to reduce filesize
  • Revolver added. Dead Marines will occasionally drop these weapons.
  • Stimpaks and Medikits have proper feedback on use.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Discord: GooseJelly#8476
Twitch ID: thebigchez420
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Survival Horror Doom (ALPHA 0.9)

Postby mrtaterz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 pm

ALPHA 0.9
  • Shambler-type enemies now wander around.
  • Most enemies now have sight and sound-based checks for the player. Keep your distance from enemies and they may not hear you shoot.
  • Most enemies have a 170 degree cone of vision now. This is useful for Stealth-based add-ons and mods that compliment Survival Horror Doom.
  • Rifle has a new sprite.
  • Revolver has had it's damage increased.
  • Rocket Launcher has had it's damage increased.
  • Rifle has had it's bullet drop increased, bullet speed reduced, damage increased, and bullet spread reduced.
  • Enemy predictability increased, frames on attacks have been increased, and most enemies no longer face their targets right before an attack.
  • Lost Soul behavior changed; aggression increased. They will dodge away from the player's view.
  • Cacodemon health decreased.
  • Noble's now shake the ground beneath them, and are a force to be reckoned.
  • Difficulty selection revamped.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Survival Horror Doom BETA 1

Postby mrtaterz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:58 pm

BETA 1
  • Physical Bullet projectile weapon mechanic removed.
  • All bullet weapons now have a bullet projectile that is cosmetic.
  • Backpack now gives you Grenades.
  • Grenades are a weak explosive Inventory item that the player can spam at enemies to clear their path.
  • Zombie Rifleman now has different shooting behavior; the player will now be able to "dodge" their hit scan attacks.
  • Cacodemon has had it's reviving role removed.
  • Pain Elemental can now punch the player.
  • Pain Elemental now revives enemies.
  • Lost Souls will only dodge up close now.
  • Archvile Pain Chance slightly increased.
  • Archvile Health decreased.
  • Archvile attack timing changed.
  • The Cyberdemon will now shoot a single, slow, heat-seeking missile.
  • The Cyberdemon has also had it's pain chance increased. Use bullet weapons to prevent him from shooting missiles at you.
  • Autocannon rate of fire increased, as well as an increase in spin-up time.
  • Slightly increased the movement speed of the player when using the BFG9000 and the Rocket Launcher.
  • The player has a movement penalty when firing the Rifle, to encourage Pistol use.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Re: Survival Horror Doom BETA

Postby mrtaterz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 pm

Hotfix
  • A new secret weapon has been added . . .
  • WolfensteinSS are back.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Survival Horror Doom BETA 2

Postby mrtaterz » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:52 am

BETA 2
  • Rats from my previous mod Dead Marine Redux are back.
  • Shotguns are more likely to knock enemies down than other weapons.
  • Plasma Rifle makes humanoid enemies trigger a unique death animation.
  • BFG9000 uses the old beta DOOM behavior.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Re: Survival Horror Doom BETA 2

Postby MFG38 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am

So I gave this mod a quick spin on Doom 2. The general idea shows some promise, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the execution. The pistol, for one thing, is basically useless right off the bat because you get the rifle so early and it's simply better than the pistol in every aspect. And while the zombies having a random chance to come back to life is a good idea in theory, it doesn't feel like a great gameplay addition in its current incarnation. It just inconveniences the player and further drains them of their already limited resources.

Now that's not to say there weren't things I liked, because I did like the way the stimpacks and medikits function, regenerating your health over time rather than instantly. It does well to add a tiny bit of pressure, which is only a good thing given the mod's overall theme. I also liked the fact that the enemies roam around instead of standing still upon a map being loaded.

With some further tweaks here and there, I think this will be a really fun gameplay mod. Don't let my criticisms discourage you - keep at it! c:
MFG38

Postby mrtaterz » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:57 am

MFG38 wrote:So I gave this mod a quick spin on Doom 2. The general idea shows some promise, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the execution. The pistol, for one thing, is basically useless right off the bat because you get the rifle so early and it's simply better than the pistol in every aspect. And while the zombies having a random chance to come back to life is a good idea in theory, it doesn't feel like a great gameplay addition in its current incarnation. It just inconveniences the player and further drains them of their already limited resources.

Now that's not to say there weren't things I liked, because I did like the way the stimpacks and medikits function, regenerating your health over time rather than instantly. It does well to add a tiny bit of pressure, which is only a good thing given the mod's overall theme. I also liked the fact that the enemies roam around instead of standing still upon a map being loaded.

With some further tweaks here and there, I think this will be a really fun gameplay mod. Don't let my criticisms discourage you - keep at it! c:

If you use the Weapon Zoom key you can aim with the Pistol, and it is much more accurate than the Rifle and also lacks the movement penalty that occurs when firing; the Rifle is definitely an improvement but it won't work in every situation. Thank you so much for your feedback; I am continuing to improve as I learn more.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Postby jdredalert » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:34 am

I like where this is going. The survival horror genre is one of my favorites since i grew with titles such as RE and SH. If you allow me, i'll add my thoughts here, of how you can improve it a little more:

- I like the fact that you can aim down sights with pistol, but right now, i feel that it lacks some kind of visual feedback that i'm actually hitting things. You know, besides the occasional pain sound of a monster. More than once i was shooting with pistol and wondering if was hitting anything. Also, you could always make the player crosshair to vanish while in ADS mode, so people who likes to play with crosshairs like me won't be seeing it above the weapon sights.

- Complementing the previous comment, i believe that if the pistol has ADS, maybe the rest of the guns should have it too. And to give it a better purpose than just sniping enemies, why don't you consider adding locational damage like head/leg shots? Mikk did an universal headshot scipt not too long ago that's really easy to use. This could add a new layer of depth to your mod.

- Now this is a minor nitpick, but i would be a lot happier if you had some smoother animations for weapons. :P
jdredalert
State of badass art.

Postby Jarewill » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:06 pm

Looking pretty nice so far.
Though I think the gun smoke after firing comes out too far away.
Like, it should spawn in front of the player and not about 100 units in front.
Also the plasma rifle flash could use an animation.
Currently it just shows the first flash frame statically, maybe make it also show the second one to make it look better?
Aside that, looking pretty nicely.
Also a way to switch the rifle's firemode would be neat, so the player can control if they want to go full trigger-happy or carefully pick out their targets from a distance.
Jarewill

Survival Horror Doom BETA 3

Postby mrtaterz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:31 pm

BETA 3
  • Removed movement penalties for weapons.
  • Added movement penalty for when entering Pain.
  • Fixed Zombie attack frames.
  • Adjusted difficulty slightly.
  • Cyberdemon shoots one missile at a time instead of three.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods