[RELEASE] Broadsword Jim v2.6 - The Facelift Update

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

[RELEASE] Broadsword Jim v2.6 - The Facelift Update

Post by Baratus »

Over a decade ago I made an MSPaint-style weapon replacement mod. This is sort of a tribute and an apology for that mod.
Throughout this year, I've been dipping in and out of working on this mod, spending multiple entire days at a time on this goofy, sort-of medieval style weapon set for DooM, with my own handdrawn sprites.
This WAD follows the adventures of Broadsword Jim, the bloke with a sword for a head, and the sword is pissed off. You can use your own head as a weapon and swing it around while still being able to look in front of you, shhhh don't question it, it's all a bit silly on purpose.

This WAD includes:
-9 new weapons, each with its own ALTFIRE! Some weapons even have hidden abilities...
-Diverse and interesting weapon designs and functions
-Somewhat inspired by the Berserk manga
-Slightly over-the-top, anachronistic weaponry
-A new melee system, even more fun with the Berserk powerup!
-A custom status bar and mugshot, so you can really FEEL like a legendary sword sprung to life through sheer anger alone!
-Play it for free! Forever! Right now! Stop reading this and play the mod!

DOWNLOAD NOW from itch.io!
(current version: v2.6, released 16-07-2021)
Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: CHANGELOG v2.4
Full changelog:
https://pastebin.com/hMCZHBGZ
Spoiler: CREDITS
This mod requires Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 or Heretic to run.
This mod is intended for GZDoom version 4.0 or above, or GZDoom Vintage 3.8.0 and above.
Not Zandronum compatible.
Freelook is recommended.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Baratus on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:43 am, edited 22 times in total.
Rogue_Wave
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Release] Broadsword Jim v7: A Groovy GZDoom Weapon Mod

Post by Rogue_Wave »

I had a blast on this one whatever it was be spiking or knifing enemies to death, all weapons excepted the plasma rifle replacement felt very enjoyable to use.
The truth fun only begins when you got the scroll, from there it was just me going recklessly throwing flurries of punches to all.
Baratus

Re: [Release] Broadsword Jim v8: A Groovy GZDoom Weapon Mod

Post by Baratus »

Glad you liked it!

A new hotfix for the mod has been released. Actually, it's a lot more than just a hotfix. For starters, there's a new status bar and mugshot!

And as you can see, the Pendant also has a new set of sprites. It's also been completely reworked to be a bit more fun to use.

Download it here!

See the first post for the full list of changes this update.
Baratus

Re: [Release] Broadsword Jim v8: More Mayhem and Merriment

Post by Baratus »

Another hotfix has arrived. An actual hotfix this time, which fixes some minor issues and makes some under-the-hood improvements too.

Download here!

As always, full changelog is in the first post.

Would anyone be interested in a Zandronum-friendly version?
Rogue_Wave
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Release] Broadsword Jim v8: More Mayhem and Merriment

Post by Rogue_Wave »

I gave it another run and I really dig the change done even I have problem about how the guy can be swing is own head like this, the talisman is faring better but the fist still the best weapon in the batch (some may say that it is a bit op since it can one shot Hellknight even without berserk), a shame that mspaint DOOM is not compatible with the newest GZDOOM release.
Overall it is a really solid mod and deserved more recognition.
Baratus

[COMING SOON] Broadsword Jim 2.0, release date April 4th

Post by Baratus »

Well, time to generate some hype. A major update is coming very soon.
Mark your calendars for April 4th 2020, It's going to be a big one.

Expect the following:
-All weapons will receive balance changes ranging from minor tweaks to complete reworks
-All new weapon sprites and smoother animations
-Crunchy new sounds to make your weapons feel awesome
-Health, armor and powerup replacements
-Heretic compatibility!
-And more!

Full details will follow when the update releases.

Just to add some kindling to the hype, here are some screenshots:
Spoiler:
Baratus

[RELEASE] Broadsword Jim 2.0 for Doom and Heretic

Post by Baratus »

Welllll, it's release day. At least in my part of the world, it is. Time to release this thing!

Broadsword Jim 2.0
(art by the lovely Skelegant)

Now before you jump right in, I recommend reading through the list of changes first.
There has been a LOT of changes, so I've condensed it so you can spend less time reading and more time playing.

First, some of the major changes...

-Ammo capacity is reduced across all weapons, and ammo pickups give less. You may want to use a variety of weapons or fall back on your melee options when you can!
-New health pickups!
-All Doom powerups and items have new sprites and pickup sounds. and are functionally the same.
-This mod works with Heretic! Its powerups have also been replaced, and while some might be familiar, there are some all new items to boot!
-Every weapon has received changes, ranging from minor tweaks to complete reworks, with all-new sprites. More info below.
Spoiler: WEAPONS
Spoiler: HERETIC-ONLY ITEMS
Now without further delay, go play the mod and have some fun!
DANGLOAD
(current version 2.0, 04/04/2020)

Full credits included in the first post.
UnbornDecay25

Re: [RELEASE] Broadsword Jim 2.0 for Doom and Heretic

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Well what the hell, this mod was actually pretty cool! Definetly fits more in with Heretic than Doom, but at the very least I thought it was on point. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the athstetic, but the firing modes and the pure punch this mod has kicks all the ass. Nice job man!
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Reminds me a bit of MS Paint Doom... Nice mod though. :)
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

This is such a great mod, it feels good to play and has a super fun vibe goin on :D
Folks can scream "ms paint" til the cows come home but like, it's a whole weaponset of original sprites with fun designs and cool animations! I'd take that over the same 5 unedited r667 assets any day
The projectile effects on the pendant are really cool, I love how it kinda weaves around but is still accurate enough to snipe those fuckin rude ass distant chaingunners :D
Starman the Blaziken

Also try sv_fast weapons with the toy penguin, as much as it became my favorite weapon but the cheat does not make a farting penguin storm... The idle animation is just making me laugh more! xD
Baratus

Post by Baratus »

Starman, sv_fastweapons used to work pretty great in earlier weapon mods, but I think newer tricks in DECORATE like A_WeaponOffset, A_SetPitch and A_ZoomFactor seem to interfere with that cheat, meaning that weapons don't fire any faster, sometimes even slower, and can flicker in and out of existence. My coding has a lot of those functions to add feelings of impact and weight to the weapons.

However, if you want to have an utterly stupid and fun time, use "bind [key] summon pingumissile2". Enjoy.
Starman the Blaziken

I just wanted to try it for kicks and giggles, before I noticed it had a charge main at all. Nothing to get out of a tricky situation though, besides the fact Jim wants to spam da squeaky squeaky poot poot button now on the penguin :P
Baratus

[RELEASE] Broadsword Jim 2.1 - melee rework, more fixes

Post by Baratus »

New version's out! Melee felt a bit too finnicky so now it's a short range projectile that hits foes more often, and even comes with a slight range increase. The Bloodwand's altfire has been made slightly less broken, and some missing Heretic compatibility features have been added.

DOWMLOBE HERE
(current version: v2.1, released 24-07-2020)

Full list of changes here!
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [RELEASE] Broadsword Jim 2.1 - melee rework, more fixes

Post by Captain J »

Very amusing and clever work there. I really love the unusual yet powerful idea of each weapon, especially the Big ass revolver! :D

Oh, and btw any reason why i can't recover the thrown daggers? Would be nice if i could.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”