Doom Exp

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Doom Exp

Postby TheEternalStruggler » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Just a humble suggestion, instead of a grapple hook upgrade for the single shotgun, why not have the grenade-launcher attachment ala Doom Eternal?
User avatar
TheEternalStruggler
 
Joined: 03 Dec 2017
Location: Elfhelm... waiting for potatoes to get sane again.
Discord: #5236

Re: Doom Exp

Postby theroguemonk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:40 pm

i made a dang new sprite for this mod and i lost all the files :( cry
theroguemonk
Banned User
 
Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Github ID: monk
Operating System: Other OS Not Listed Here
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Officer D » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:02 pm

TheEternalStruggler wrote:Just a humble suggestion, instead of a grapple hook upgrade for the single shotgun, why not have the grenade-launcher attachment ala Doom Eternal?


The grapple hook isn't an alt fire upgrade. It's a necessary separate upgrade for both shotguns in-case you play Doom 1 maps. The shotguns upgrade is the burst mode which is also ala Doom Eternal. So far feedback for it has been very positive. Multiple weapon upgrades is a thing to maybe add in the future. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.
User avatar
Officer D
 
Joined: 10 May 2019
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Officer D » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:18 am

Image
-----------[Version 2.1 Release]-----------



It is finally here after countless hours of play testing and rewriting of scripts. I bring you Doom Exp 2.1.
And I know it already now. One day after release somebody is going to find a game breaking bug. >:/

HUD Info
Image

Changelog of the most notable changes since 2.0a :

    Entire weapon upgrading script was rewritten (no more forced weapon switches)
    Power up's are now temporary buyable upgrades.
    Monsters drop additional Xp for special kills.
    Added XP drops for breaking props.
    Added XP drop for flipping off monsters.
    Icon indicators rearranged / redone. Press F1 in-game to see what they mean.
    Grapple hook grabs onto walls on/off switch added.
    New Monster added (Enhanced Cacodemon).
    Script clean up for better performace.
    Fixed weapons taking ammo on infinite ammo power up.
    Pay 2 Win mode added. Weapons can only be bought in buy menu. Ammo/Health/Armor pickups are more scarce but can also be bought.
    Power nodes added as weapon upgrade requirements in buy menu.
    Power nodes are given via random drops, rank ups or can be bought.
    All upgrades removed from rank system. XP or Power Nodes are now needed.
    Higher ranks or completionist Tiers reward more power nodes.
    Wraith health lowered.
    Monsters now can get shock gibbed with the plasmarifle.
    Added Doom Eternal like Hud power up overlay. Only works when HUD overlays are enabled.
    Shotgun grapple hook detaches when fired.
    Chaingun Fast fire rate power-up camera zoom effect added + smoke added.

Image
Feel free to join our discord server for exclusive info or to share your thoughts and suggestions.
If you are experiencing problems you might get a faster response there as well.

Get it here!
User avatar
Officer D
 
Joined: 10 May 2019
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Exp

Postby QuakedoomNukem Cz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:59 pm

Well, would you look at that, Mike Matei streamed this mod with Going Down.
User avatar
QuakedoomNukem Cz
Grammar Nazi and Graphics Whore with a kind heart.
 
Joined: 30 Nov 2015
Location: Smržovka; Czech Republic
Discord: #2091

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Officer D » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Too bad it was the old version :(
My wife was very excited about this though :)
User avatar
Officer D
 
Joined: 10 May 2019
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Korell » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:40 am

I decided to give this a try last night and it is interesting having Doom 2016/Eternal features present, but I think it would benefit from a Doom 2016/Eternal style map set to play on. Any recommendations?

From my limited experience of this mod (I only got about 30-40 minutes in and I really need more time with it to be able to comment on the gameplay itself), the only real issue I have is with the HUD.

Firstly, I couldn't get the overlay HUD powerups to work. They show up on the left side but the reflected eyes don't show up, so a berserk pack was giving the red tint instead. I do have the Custom HUD Overlays option turned on. As I was testing the mod out I was spawning the berserk pack (I don't know if you have created new powerups that show up in the maps that would have a different effect). Could this be the issue?

Secondly, I'm not a fan of how you have the HUD scaling working. When I manually adjust the scaling settings, the option for scale to fullscreen results in the HUD being bigger than fullscreen instead, so I had to use a set multiplier of 2 or 3 (cannot recall which one as I'm not at my PC at the moment). This would threfore seem to be something that may break in the future if the standard screen resolutions change. I'm using 1920x1080, quite a common resolution. When I used the Auto Scaling option that you've put into the Doom Exp settings, it wants to change the GZDoom resolution to 1280x720, and this then results in all of the menu text looking grainy and rough as they get upscaled to my 1920x1080 fullscreen. If the helmet HUD graphic would just scale to fullscreen correctly (I'm pretty sure there are helmet HUD mods that do) then this would be a better option.
User avatar
Korell
 
Joined: 28 May 2017

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Officer D » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Korell wrote:I decided to give this a try last night and it is interesting having Doom 2016/Eternal features present, but I think it would benefit from a Doom 2016/Eternal style map set to play on. Any recommendations?

Since that is a personal preference, I can't really give you any specifics on which maps are the best to play it on. What do you mean with "Doom 2016/Eternal style map set" ? If you are looking for high detailed map sets. Honte Remastered comes to mind.

Korell wrote:Firstly, I couldn't get the overlay HUD powerups to work. They show up on the left side but the reflected eyes don't show up, so a berserk pack was giving the red tint instead. I do have the Custom HUD Overlays option turned on. As I was testing the mod out I was spawning the berserk pack (I don't know if you have created new powerups that show up in the maps that would have a different effect). Could this be the issue?

Berserk doesn't have the reflected eyes overlay. Only the power up's you can buy in the buy menu (double damage, quad damage, haste, terminator "infinite ammo", fast firing speed).

Korell wrote:Secondly, I'm not a fan of how you have the HUD scaling working. When I manually adjust the scaling settings, the option for scale to fullscreen results in the HUD being bigger than fullscreen instead, so I had to use a set multiplier of 2 or 3 (cannot recall which one as I'm not at my PC at the moment). This would threfore seem to be something that may break in the future if the standard screen resolutions change. I'm using 1920x1080, quite a common resolution. When I used the Auto Scaling option that you've put into the Doom Exp settings, it wants to change the GZDoom resolution to 1280x720, and this then results in all of the menu text looking grainy and rough as they get upscaled to my 1920x1080 fullscreen. If the helmet HUD graphic would just scale to fullscreen correctly (I'm pretty sure there are helmet HUD mods that do) then this would be a better option.

Indeed this has been bothering me as well. I tried implementing a hud auto scaling script but couldn't get it to work, so that is why I made the "Auto fit hud" macro. The issue with that is, it scales it to what my personal preference is and I prefer 1280x720. It would already been included long ago, if I knew how. I'll have to give it another go at some point. Wish me luck :)
User avatar
Officer D
 
Joined: 10 May 2019
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Korell » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Officer D wrote:Since that is a personal preference, I can't really give you any specifics on which maps are the best to play it on. What do you mean with "Doom 2016/Eternal style map set" ? If you are looking for high detailed map sets. Honte Remastered comes to mind.

I'm not thinking in terms of high detail textures, but more like the layout, such as verticality, arenas, etc. If you want to make the most of the wall grabbing then it would seem to need some kind of platforms. I will take a look at Honte Remastered, though, as I've not heard of it before.

Officer D wrote:Berserk doesn't have the reflected eyes overlay. Only the power up's you can buy in the buy menu (double damage, quad damage, haste, terminator "infinite ammo", fast firing speed).

Ah, I see. I've not tried the buy menu yet. I will give it a try.

Officer D wrote:Indeed this has been bothering me as well. I tried implementing a hud auto scaling script but couldn't get it to work, so that is why I made the "Auto fit hud" macro. The issue with that is, it scales it to what my personal preference is and I prefer 1280x720. It would already been included long ago, if I knew how. I'll have to give it another go at some point. Wish me luck :)

Do you need to scale with a script, though? GZDoom already has options for scaling to fullscreen, so wouldn't it just need a HUD graphic with the correct size and offsets?
User avatar
Korell
 
Joined: 28 May 2017

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Officer D » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:12 pm

Korell wrote:Do you need to scale with a script, though? GZDoom already has options for scaling to fullscreen, so wouldn't it just need a HUD graphic with the correct size and offsets?

See at this point, I'd prefer a script since otherwise I'd have to redo a lot of graphics U_U
User avatar
Officer D
 
Joined: 10 May 2019
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Exp

Postby The Nameless Watcher » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:08 pm

I've had a blast with this mod. The weapons feel good for the most part, the extra monsters provide a nice variety, and I really enjoy the new method of weapon upgrades not being tied to rank up. I also enjoy the way graphics have been setup and the simplicity of the "buy" menu

Had a few notes to provide however. I agree that the UI/Scaling seems a bit odd. The overall scaling worked fine once I figured out which slider to mess with, but I noticed the overlays from the invisibility sphere or berserk sphere were being managed by the message slider. Wish I could offer some wisdom on how to make it place nice.
The Overlord either has way too much health or its defenses are too high. I dumped pretty much all my non-rocket ammo into it and only the chain gun secondary seemed to hurt it.
Lastly the plasma rifle feels pretty weak, seemed kinda like I was fighting with a water hose.
Of course if these last two are intentional I can adjust things myself.

I look forward to seeing how work on this continues.
User avatar
The Nameless Watcher
 
Joined: 15 Sep 2015

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Officer D » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:16 am

The Nameless Watcher wrote:The Overlord either has way too much health or its defenses are too high. I dumped pretty much all my non-rocket ammo into it and only the chain gun secondary seemed to hurt it.

He does have a lot of health, yes. And to compensate that you can buy power ups. Alone getting quad damage should of made it manageable. Of course you can run into situations where you don't have the resources. But I did need reasons to give those power ups more meaning.
The Nameless Watcher wrote:Lastly the plasma rifle feels pretty weak, seemed kinda like I was fighting with a water hose.
Of course if these last two are intentional I can adjust things myself.
The plasma can pretty much one shot lower tier enemies. There is a 50% chance monsters get electrocuted and explode with a chance to chain react this effect to other monsters standing close to them. Higher tier monsters will get stun locked with the shock damage. I feel, if I up the damage output it will become too powerful.
User avatar
Officer D
 
Joined: 10 May 2019
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Exp

Postby jablon1000 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:09 am

I tried new version and it is better than previous one. Shop is good concept, now player have real control on slayer abilities. I also like xp rewards for meele killing, its make game more intense. Pretty well balanced also. Shotgun hook bring movment to next level. Yeah i like it.

Also i find small bug: player can always carry 200 rockets, i think player should carry 100 rockets without backpack and 200 with it.

I have some suggestion for you: some demons have stronger versions. I think zombies should have also stronger versions. They are pretty much cannon fodder, no real threat imo. Maybe plasma zombie and ssg zombie will work? I saw them in some mod, so you have some base to work with.
jablon1000
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2017

Re: Doom Exp

Postby QuakedoomNukem Cz » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:22 am

Icarus's review.
User avatar
QuakedoomNukem Cz
Grammar Nazi and Graphics Whore with a kind heart.
 
Joined: 30 Nov 2015
Location: Smržovka; Czech Republic
Discord: #2091

Re: Doom Exp

Postby Officer D » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:04 pm

That's awesome! He did miss mentioning a few things here and there. I am pleased to hear that he overall likes it.
User avatar
Officer D
 
Joined: 10 May 2019
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: polyzium and 21 guests