Angled Doom v0.8, ADP v2.1 and AD Lite v1.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Angled Doom v0.666 and ADP addon Released! 19/12/2019

Postby jdredalert » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:20 am

Adding a manual reload function would be easy enough to do. New weapons could be added in the next version, sure. I don't think i'll add a lot of them since ADP already introduces 7 new weapons, but some new contenders can always be added somewhere lol. Any suggestions of weapons?
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby jablon1000 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:09 pm

I think you shouldnt add new weapons, there is many of them. I think you should add a:

1. Manual reload for weapons that have "reload"
2. Reload for revolver because its kinda overkill without it
3. Alt fire for BFG. I think it should be automatic fire of small bfg blasts.
4. Some alt fire for chaingun will also be nice.
4. Buff quake granade launcher because its kinda useless imo.
5. Faster weapon switching
6. Fury sphere affecting shotgun (faster pumping)

I usually dont play vanilla-like mods because its kinda boring and uncreative for me but your addon kick ass and it is shitload of fun!
jablon1000

Postby jdredalert » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Thank you jablon!

I liked your suggestions. Let me address every single topic:

1. Will be done for the next release.
2. I really was thinking about it since day 1. It would be nice, but at the same time i was afraid of adding too many reload weapons. Guess i'll give it a try next release ;)
3. BFG already have alt fire function. It's a barrage of plasma, reminiscent from the Doom beta version.
4. This one is a li'l tricky, because it's somewhat hard to even imagine an alt fire for a chaingun. But i'll think about it.
4. Any suggestions? I think the weapon is fine as it is, but i really want to hear your thoughts on how it can be improved.
5. See #1.
6. That's my fault. I saw that the Fury sphere wasn't affecting the shotgun during play testing and simply forgot to fix it before release. Expect this to be corrected soon.

Thank you for your feedback! It means a lot for me to know your opinions.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Artman2004 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:20 pm

You could add:
Revenant's homing rockets
Spider Mastermind's super chaingun
Unmaker
Auto Shotgun
BFG 10k
Lightning Gun
Artman2004

Postby jdredalert » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll think about those weapons and the better way to implement new guns without cluttering the already busy weapon slots.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Whoah » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:44 pm

I was thinking it would be cool to have the option to pick and choose which weapons spawn in certain slots. That, or limiting how many weapons the player can carry
Whoah
Confusion is my natural state

Postby jdredalert » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:58 pm

I am against limiting the number of weapons you can carry, i think the player shouldn't have to discard a weapon to favor another one, at least not in that type of mod (which is pure arcade fun). In my brainstorms for the last few hours, i was thinking about upgrading weapons into new ones. For example, a new shotgun would replace to regular one once you find it, with similar mechanics overall, but better. Of couse these are nothing but loose ideas, i gotta get home first before i start working on anything.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby jablon1000 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:45 pm

@jdredalert

Hmm... i must done something wrong when i tried to shoot altfire bfg maybe i was low on ammo and i cant fire, im pretty sure i tried to altfire this more than once, but whatever i checked and it works and its nice :)

For alt fire for chaingun i would like to see slower rate of fire with better accuracy. It will be useful at medium to long distances vs horde of low tier monsters or vs single bullet spoonge enemy i think. UAC carabine is pretty good at it but sometimes faster weapon will work better. For example i sometimes was in situation where i fight some cacos/pains on medium/long distance and chaingun waste a lot of ammo and carabine was too slow. For that situations better option is plasma/railgun but some bullet fire weapon will be also nice. I dont count revolver because ammo for it is quite rare, its for me more like special weapon.

And granade launcher... i think that kind of design worked good in quake because quake maps are quite tight, full of corridors, staircases and there is full 3D design, also player have better movment. Doom maps are far more open and wide, rocket launcher just works better because projectile is faster, have "infinity" range and is far more predictable than granade. I played some mods and definietly "special ammo" for granade launcher do the job. "Normal" GL which is RL with bouncing projectile with limited range dont work for me. For example project brutality have GL with special ammo: fire, ice, poison, sticky... each have its role and its good in specific situations. Brutal doom had single fire GL with frag rounds, in some mod i saw GL that shots a lot of small granades which was superb in crowd control, in slayer rampage is shotgun with GL which is good, but risky alternative for fighting big guys... I think you should keep it simple, better range and big blast radius (far bigger than RL) but same damage should do the job, and it will be vanilla-like.

Edit:

If you want add some new weapons you should consider integration a weapon wheel (or something similar) or some options to enable/disable weapons. I think py weapon wheel mod have template which you can use. I use this when mod have a lot of weapons, yeah it save my ass in combat.
jablon1000

Postby VecterStroke » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:50 pm

I do have some suggestions for Angled Doom Plus:
  • Replace the revolver with a blaster pistol. similar to Quake 2(alt-fire is a charged shot)
  • Change plasma rifle alt fire to ricochet projectile similar to the ion ripper
  • Add a nailgun. (alt-fire is spread of nails)
  • Add an umaker similar to the one from the doom alpha
  • Include alternate sprites, such as a rifle skin from the doom alpha
  • Have the Mancubus arm do fire damage
VecterStroke

Postby jdredalert » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Wow. I'm surprised. When i first started Angled Doom a few months ago i didn't imagined that people would enjoy it so much. I'm really flattered and this is the best reward i could ever want. Thank you guys for your feedback and interest! My Christmas is now complete! :D

So, let's answer!

@jablon1000
UAC carabine is pretty good at it but sometimes faster weapon will work better. For example i sometimes was in situation where i fight some cacos/pains on medium/long distance and chaingun waste a lot of ammo and carabine was too slow.

You are completely right, the UAC Rifle is stronger than both SMG and Chaingun (damage per bullet wise), but it's not so useful for crowd control. However, i'll give you a tip: i believe the answer for this problem lies in MAP31 (aka the secret level)... :wink:

Grenade Launcher feedback

These are very enlightening words. More range and better blast radius can be a good way to improve it and make if feel a little less than a bouncing rocket launcher. I'll work on it based on your feedback.

If you want add some new weapons you should consider integration a weapon wheel (or something similar) or some options to enable/disable weapons. I think py weapon wheel mod have template which you can use. I use this when mod have a lot of weapons, yeah it save my ass in combat.

I'm gonna check that weapon wheel mod and see if i can integrate that. That idea never crossed my mind, but sounds like a great addition.

@VecterStroke

I do have some suggestions for Angled Doom Plus:
Replace the revolver with a blaster pistol. similar to Quake 2(alt-fire is a charged shot)
Change plasma rifle alt fire to ricochet projectile similar to the ion ripper
Add a nailgun. (alt-fire is spread of nails)
Add an umaker similar to the one from the doom alpha
Include alternate sprites, such as a rifle skin from the doom alpha
Have the Mancubus arm do fire damage

These are good suggestions. I don't know about the Doom alpha sprites, mostly because of angled sprites availability of such weapons. I can't say i'll add all of these guns from your list, but that gives me a lot of good directions! Thank you very much!
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby TheEternalStruggler » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:42 pm

I think having a Doom-themed angled pack and a Quake-themed angled pack, would help satisfy both fans of the mod as well as also be cool. Though for the Doom themed one, I honestly think something akin to Doom 2016 blended with Classic Doom would be cool. Like maybe edit the Doom 2016 shotgun pump to be wooden or something like that. Ya know?

And maybe a Doom Eternal type angled pack for celebration and the hype of it coming out. That’d be pretty neat. Awesome mod btw, it’s really awesome.
TheEternalStruggler

Discord: #5236

Postby jdredalert » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:03 pm

We already have the Doom themed angled pack... it's Angled Doom itself! :P And also the Angled Doom Plus add-on which was made with vanilla flavor in mind, despite all the changes (think of it as a enhanced-vanilla style of modding, since it adds new twists and curve balls to the good old game, but still plays by Doom's rules). While i could do a Doom 2016 pack as well, i think i'm somewhat late to the party: we have Doom 4 Doom, Death Foretold, Zion, Lazarus Doom, even Brutal Doom had a D16 weapon pack (and let's not forget MetaDoom, which combines elements of all major Doom games into one, which also had it's fair share of D16 added to the mix). While it would be fun to do, it would also be a little bit redundant in my opinion. Maybe i can do something in the likes of Doom Eternal once it comes out, but not now... but if you're in a dire need of a Doom Eternal fix, i would say that Doom Exp is the way to go. :wink:

But, did you just said... Angled Quake?

I'm not promising anything yet, since i still have to work on some updates on the main mod and ADP, including some minor bugfixes, and that will require some time - which i have something close to none these days. But i have found a nice set of Q1 themed weapon sprites by Cap J that i really want to use...
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby YukesVonFaust » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:38 pm

I have only one gripe about the UAC Carbine...
Why are the Ironsight frames are full of JPEG Artifacts?
YukesVonFaust
Give Me a Shake...

Discord: Yukes von Faust#9009
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby jdredalert » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:53 pm

I don't think i understood, they look pretty normal for me.

EDIT:

Okay i disabled the texture filtering and now i can see it. Well, bummer. Keep in mind that i'm not the original author of those sprites, they are originally from Project Brutality, so i have no idea how they were made (from a screenshot? Hand draw? Maybe using parts of the scope from the Doom movie footage?) in the first place. Nothing that a quick GIMP session won't fix, i wonder why painkiller & co would left it that way.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby talisa » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:29 pm

those Q1 themed sprites look like screenshots of the weapons from 'deathmatch classic',
which was valve's tribute to quake's deatchmatch in the half-life engine
https://half-life.fandom.com/wiki/Deathmatch_Classic
talisa

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods