Angled Doom v0.8, ADP v2.1 and AD Lite v1.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Angled Doom: Angled Doom v0.7 WIP

Post by jdredalert »

News:

Quarantine or not, the works cannot stop! Just did the special version of the Plasma Rifle for Angled Doom Plus. The Pulse Rifle Mk. II as i am calling it is a mix of old and new, with a few wires here and there because it's supposed to look like an ufinished prototype. As it's original counterpart, the Mk II has an alternate fire mode, but instead of a mini BFG blast, the secondary fire mode is a powerful laser beam. Also, i have reworked the sprites of the regular Plasma Rifle, using parts of the old one made by Vostyok and the body made by MrEnchanter. Gotta say that i am more than happy with the results. The classic Pulse Rifle is updated in both Angled Doom and Angled Doom Plus.

Credits to Vostyok, MrEnchanter and Neccronixis

Also, here's a sample of both weapons in action. As always, please leave a comment and some feedback.

Last edited by jdredalert on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheEternalStruggler

Post by TheEternalStruggler »

I love the plasma rifle sprites! Ya gonna add in a powerful pistol?
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

The pulse rifle's altfire seems to be a downgrade from the plasma rifle's. Though I suppose it's on purpose, as the altfire would just be the same as the BFG's.
Xtor98
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Xtor98 »

This definitely looks good! I can 't wait for the new version to come out, especially Angled+.
Do you plan to transfer some weapons from newest games in style of vanilla? In particular Assault Rifle, Gauss Cannon. I suppose, base for decent graphics can located in Doom 4: Death Foretold modification.
Also I think Ballista and Unmaker would fit in just as well.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Thank you for the replies guys. That really motivates me to work harder!
TheEternalStruggler wrote:I love the plasma rifle sprites! Ya gonna add in a powerful pistol?
Kinda. I'm tinkering with the existing revolver to make it a little more funny to use. I guess it's the only handgun that's going to appear in the next release, because to be honest, i don't know how to add another pistol in there and keep the weapons manageable.
Artman2004 wrote:The pulse rifle's altfire seems to be a downgrade from the plasma rifle's. Though I suppose it's on purpose, as the altfire would just be the same as the BFG's.
Oh, don't worry about it. I had just finished creating the bean attack and made it functional with the sound effect, so it wasn't proper balanced yet. It is a lot more powerful than what you see in the video, but will consume ammo faster as well in order to not make it so overkill.
Xtor98 wrote:This definitely looks good! I can 't wait for the new version to come out, especially Angled+.
Do you plan to transfer some weapons from newest games in style of vanilla? In particular Assault Rifle, Gauss Cannon. I suppose, base for decent graphics can located in Doom 4: Death Foretold modification.
Also I think Ballista and Unmaker would fit in just as well.

I believe that it's a little bit earlier for that, at least for now. I didn't even played Eternal yet, and i never had thought about porting those guns up until reading your reply. Since we had so many mods based on Doom '16 in the past, and we already have Doom Exp to start the trend again with Doom Eternal, the weapons from the new generation games were something i was avoiding to touch (although there are some mechanics and weapon firing modes inherited from the newer titles already implemented in the mod, but that's for another video). But on the positive note, I believe that it is indeed quite possible to happen in the future, in a separate file. I might want to do a new thing to relax and chill after this new update. :wink:
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I like the vanilla angled weapons. Some constructive criticism, though: I really think the duration of the green BFG projectile sparks is way too long. Looking at the code, I see you chose to make them (GreenSparks1-4) last for 350 tics, which is a full 10 seconds. If you are spamming your BFG, especially in slaughter maps, you will have a LOT of particles on the screen that way. Therefore, my suggestion is to reduce the tics to a more sensible value - I wouldn't go higher than 70-105 tics (2-3 secs). You will still see the sparks long enough like that.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Thank you for your feedback NightFright! You are completely right, i kinda exaggerated with the green sparks duration. Mostly i don't play slaughtermaps, so i kinda overlooked that it could be a problem with a high amount of particles on screen. As you requested, i changed the particle time on screen to 3 seconds. The result is still visually good enough and i hope improves the performance.

Also, in the new version there is a CVAR to completely disable such particles. So if even with the particles lasting for 3 sec there is still too much on screen, you can turn them off.
DosDoomer
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Angled Doom v0.7 WIP

Post by DosDoomer »

Can you play this on DosBox?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DosDoomer wrote:Can you play this on DosBox?
Have you tried it?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

No, sorry, while it was made to keep the feeling of the classic weapons, this is still a ZDoom family mod. Now, i had a message from TheNoob_Gamer asking permission to modify and convert the file for cross-platform purposes, converting the whole mod to DeHacked. I granted him the permission and he said that he would post it here. This was last week. I don't know if he's working on it of if he simply forgot about posting his file on my thread, so the only thing i can say is until he share his modified file, the only way to play it will be on GZ and LZDoom. Maybe there will be a Zandronum version at some point as well, just not for now.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very smooth, fancy and fast TC! I really love the feeling of smooth and perfectly angled feel into each weapon. And i see that demons behave different than usual, too. Also i think i've got some feedback to share with:

- Honestly not a big fan of Rocket Launcher's. Hope you find a good one!

- Imp's fireball and BFG9000's projectile have no decal.

- Seems like the enemy variation hasn't finished yet. Arachnotron, Archvile and Mancubi are still visually the same! And speaking of which, i would like to see them do some much distinctive move instead of charging and throw bigger projectile. Like Pinkies leaping, Mancubi causing shockwave, Aracachnotorns shooting a Railgun and etc.
You're only able run mods through modern doom launchers such as GZDoom and Zandronum, there!

No offence, but i saw you questioning the same thing three times and i think it's lucky that "Is this playable on DosBox" thing is not forced meme yet. Hope i'm not really foreshadowing, but you get what i mean. The answer has already given by the multiple people, including me. I'm afraid DoxBox is way outdated and incompatible to play today's doom mods. I'm sorry.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Captain J wrote:*Nice Feedback*
Thank you Cap! I have a new version to be released soon, for both the base mod and the Angled Doom Plus addon. I'm taking my quarantine time to work on both of them, and to compensate the fact that i couldn't even touch my mods in the last 4 months.

While i can't promise all those features in the next version, the addon Angled Doom Plus is filled with new additions, new monsters and new weapons. I will, however, take notes in your suggestions, for another update.
Xtor98
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Xtor98 »

Just want to clarify a couple more things - I may have overlooked it, but are there brightmaps for all weapons here, including the BFG glow in dark? Or have you planned to do this in near future?
Also for new monsters - in particular, the eyes of the mutated imp and shot frame of the possessed in their helmets.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

No brightmaps yet, but they are in my plans for another release. For now there's too much going on with new features in both main mod and addon.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

News:

While revising the code, fixing what wasn't working properly and adding new things, i needed a brake. So i opened Slade and started to edit something, just for the sake of fun. Turns out that this little something now have a place in the mod as well, because i couldn't simply contain my desire to see it in action.

This is not a Crucible. It's a blade. The Vorpal Blade.

Credits to Amuscaria for doing this beautiful piece of work.

The Vorpal Blade and other new weapons are going to appear in Angled Doom Plus addon. Sorry if i can't estimate a deadline yet, but i promise that it will be done soon.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”