DOOM RPG Monster Variants

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
darthbdaman
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

DOOM RPG Monster Variants

Post by darthbdaman »

Description
This mod adds all of the variant enemy types from the mobile DOOM RPG into the game. They will occasionally spawn in the place of their regular counterparts, with weaker variants being more common, and stronger less.

Currently, the only difference between variants is there health. Generally the middle variant has the same health as the original DOOM monster (for enemies with very low health, the lowest tier enemy has the original DOOM health). The lower variant has half the health of the middle variant, while the upper variant has twice as much health as the middle variant. This is based of the difference between the Baron and the Hell Knight.

The chance of any variant spawning is slightly different. The lower tier variant has a 1/2 chance of appearing, the middle variant has a 1/3 chance of appearing, and the upper variant has a 1/6 chance of appearing.

Screenshots
Spoiler:
Details
  • Zombie Man: Zombie Private (Yellow), Zombie Lieutenant (Blue), Zombie Captain (Red)
  • Shotgun Guy: Zombie Corporal (Yellow), Zombie Sergeant (Blue), Zombie Major (Red)
  • Chaingunner: Trooper (Yellow), Commando (Blue), Assassin (Red)
  • Imp: Impling (Green), Imp (Brown), Imp Lord (Red)
  • Lost Soul: Phantom (Green), Lost Soul (Brown), Nightmare (Blue)
  • Pinky: Bull Demon (Yellow), Pinky Demon (Red), Belphegor (Blue)
  • Cacodemon: Malwrath (Yellow), Cacodemon (Red), Wretched (Blue)
  • Pain Elemental: Beholder (Green), Pain Elemental (Brown), Rahovart (Blue)
  • Revenant: Ghoul (Green), Revenant (Red), Fiend (Blue)
  • Mancubus: Behemoth (Blue), Mancubus (Brown), Druj (Red)
  • Archvile: Infernis (Blue), Archvile (White), Apollyon (Red)
  • Baron: Ogre (Green), Hell Knight (Brown), Baron of Hell (Red)
  • Hellhound: Hellhound (Brown), Cerberus (Red), Demon Wolf (Blue)
  • Nazi: Nazi Private (Yellow), Nazi Lieutenant (Blue), Nazi Captain (Red)
Notes
I tried to stick as closely as I could to the RPG monster classes, but I had to make some changes and additions. The major changes are moving the Revenant and Pain Elemental to the middle of their classes, and moving the Fiend and Rahovart to the top. This was done to make them more consistent with the other demons, as well as make the Pain Elemental class consistent with the Lost Soul class, as in the DOOM RPG, the Pain Elemental summoned the Blue Nightmares, while the Blue Rahovart summoned the normal Lost Souls, which was rather inconsistent.

The Shotgun Guy and Wolfenstien SS were not in the DOOM RPG, so I made their colors and names consistent with the Zombie Men and Chaingunners. Hellhounds are not used anywhere in the game, but I did make sprites and a spawner for them, based off of Nash's GZDoom dogs, and they could be added by another mod.

Hell Knights are replaced by a random spawner that will produce an Ogre, Hell Knight, or Baron. Barons however are not replaced. This was done on purpose, as Barons are frequently used as bosses, and having them be replaced would be underwhelming. Also, Doom doesn't include the Hell Knight sprites from Doom 2, so preventing Barons from turning into Hell Knights seemed to be a good idea.

Addons
There are three optional files. Load these along with the Main File.

The first 2 add dogs into the regular Doom games, by giving Wolfenstein SS and Shotgun Guys a 50% chance to be replaced by dogs. The dogs have 3 variations just like the other monsters in this mod.

The other optional file allows the Barons of Hell to scale down into Ogres and Hell Knights. Normally, Hell Knights are scaled up or down into Barons or Ogres, but Barons do not. This makes Barons also scale. If this file is used with the original Doom, Hell Knights will likely be invisible, unless you are using something like WADSmoosh which adds the sprite. Use at your own risk.

Credits
I edited all of the sprites myself using Pixel Painter. I'm no artist and they could be done better, but I wanted some practice in different areas of modding.
The original GZDoom dog sprite is by Nash, under CC-BY
I used Slade for everything else.

Download Main File
Download Nazis with Dogs Addon
Download Shotgun Guys with Dogs Addon
Download Baron of Hell Replacer Addon
Last edited by darthbdaman on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoah

Re: DOOM RPG Monster Variants

Post by Whoah »

I really like this in concept! Like a super diet version of Colorful hell. I have a bit of a suggestion for the sake of variation. You could have the weaker enemies have weaker or dialed down versions of the vanilla enemy's attacks, and vice versa for the stronger versions. Like, Impling=no fireball attack/fireball affected by gravity, Imp=standard vanilla attacks, Imp Lord=faster/more damaging fireball and leaping attack etc. Either way, I look forward to seeing where this goes!
darthbdaman

Post by darthbdaman »

Ya I would like to do something like that eventually. I just did the health changes for now to match how the Hell Knight compares to the Baron.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

I have an idea on how the Hellhounds could be brought in, perhaps have them as rarer Pinky/Spectre spawns, or something like that, even if as an optional thing.
darthbdaman

Post by darthbdaman »

I'll probably make optionals to make them appear instead of Nazis or shotgun guys

Edit: Done! They are in the main post
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Replacing shotgunners with dogs only works well if the dogs spawn in locations where they can reach the player to bite them - If the shotgunners are on high ledges or sniper points then the dogs become useless. If you wanted to get fancy, you could run a proximity check on Pinky spawners so that they turn into dogs if they're within a certain distance from a zombie or shotgunner. Or you could keep dogs as shotgunner replacements but make them shoot bees from their mouths.

In any case, I was wondering if a mod like this would crop up eventually and it does exactly what it needs to do. Good job!
darthbdaman

Post by darthbdaman »

Ya I thought that that might be a problem. I wouldn't know where to begin with your suggestion, but I'll try to figure it out
darthbdaman

Post by darthbdaman »

I updated the file so it now has tags for monsters, so if your using a mod which lets you see their names on the HUD, all of them will be named correctly
doomstuff

Post by doomstuff »

Not sure how to PM the OP so i am posting here.
EDIT: Ifound the PM button LoL! - so all this can be ignored, i left it here just incase and will move it to my own thread after sufficient time for the OP to reply to PM has passed.
Spoiler:
Attachments
File Structure Changes example: Made for compatiblity with my mod
File Structure Changes example: Made for compatiblity with my mod
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

To
darthbdaman wrote:...
if you like, use this pack of lumps i zipped for you so you can have the HellKnights appear in the original doom HellKnights lumps, just to have it clean and not look like a "bug" so your mod is self-sustained so to say. :)
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

can it work with monster packs or no?
IttaBaby

Post by IttaBaby »

years late, but is there a way to stop them from randomly changing, I wish to choose in my level editor.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”