Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications (Continued on Doomworld)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications (Continued on Doomworld)

Postby thewolfman00001 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Hello everyone, and welcome to Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications: a mod for Doom that attempts to change gameplay in a number of different ways while sticking true to the core gameplay of vanilla Doom that we all know and love. The changes this mod makes are as follows:

-Removing RNG from weapon and enemy damage
-Buffing weapons to be OP and enemies to be more powerful and dangerous. You can dish out higher amounts of damage against enemies with the modified arsenal of weapons at your disposal, but so can they. This creates a new form of gameplay that is much more fast-paced and dangerous, where taking damage and making mistakes is more heavily punished, but the enemies you face go down with relative ease
-Adding new custom content to expand upon Doom's standard arsenal and provide more strategic advantages to the player, as well as to replace power-ups that are underpowered (Specifically the partial-invisibility sphere, no other power-ups have been replaced as they are all adequately useful already)
-Modifying each skill level to provide linear difficulty scaling, while providing a similar experience between each skill level. This mod also includes an additional skill level that will greatly challenge the player
-Other misc changes, such as adjustment of ammo values, and buffs to various pre-existing items that were slightly underpowered before

A much more detailed rundown of the changes can be found below, but before doing that I will provide download links as well as credit the various sources where I got the custom content from. Also, make sure to play this mod with the latest version of GZDoom, and with mouse look enabled, as some weapons have autoaim disabled for strategic purposes.

Finally, I cannot guarantee any compatibility with Wads/Level Packs that modify gameplay, weapons, enemies, and/or items, so I would highly recommend that you don't not use this mod in conjunction with any that do (I haven't play-tested this mod with any megawads that do add custom content such as eviternity for example, but that is the general assumption I am under)

(Main Version) Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12lfbvj ... sp=sharing
(Vanilla Version) Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IM10UE ... sp=sharing

Credits:
Spoiler:

Weapon Changes:
Spoiler:

Skill Levels:
Spoiler:

Power-Up And Enemy Changes:
Spoiler:

Miscellaneous Changes:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Update: This branch of the mod has been abandoned, and these versions are being kept up for historical value. The mod is being continued on doomworld under the name "Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications merged" and you can find more about it here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... l-version/
Last edited by thewolfman00001 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 27 times in total.
thewolfman00001

Discord: Alexander (The Wolfman)#6010
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications

Postby mrtaterz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 pm

I just IMPULSE101'd and tried out a handful of these weapons. I have to say I find the new Chaingun to be redundant but the other weapons seem to serve their purpose quite well. I especially love the grenade launcher, being able to bounce grenades around corners where a rocket launcher would prove wasteful is a nice change of pace for the game. If you have anything else in store for this mod, I look forward to it.
mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Discord: GooseJelly#8476
Twitch ID: thebigchez420
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby thewolfman00001 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 pm

mrtaterz wrote:I just IMPULSE101'd and tried out a handful of these weapons. I have to say I find the new Chaingun to be redundant but the other weapons seem to serve their purpose quite well. I especially love the grenade launcher, being able to bounce grenades around corners where a rocket launcher would prove wasteful is a nice change of pace for the game. If you have anything else in store for this mod, I look forward to it.

Hey man, I am glad you enjoyed my mod. I unfortunately don't think I will update this mod directly unless some emergency happens and I absolutely have to. however, I will be coming out with a stand-alone addon to it within the next few weeks (I don't have a definite date of release) that is meant to stay true to the original vanilla balance while removing RNG from the weapon and enemy damage. This addon will also not include custom weaponry, custom power-ups, modified skill levels, modified attack behavior for weapons or enemies, or anything that strays too much away from vanilla. This addon will be made more for the people who dislike the main version of the mod and prefer the default vanilla gameplay that doom comes with while providing subtle balance changes to each weapon that improve weapon viability
thewolfman00001

Postby thewolfman00001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

Minor Update: The range of the Chainsaw was nerfed from 96 to 80, and a new major update is just around the corner.
thewolfman00001

Postby thewolfman00001 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 am

Minor Update:

-Difficulty scaling has been reworked, check Skill Levels to learn more
-New Skill Level has been added, check Skill Levels
-Various improvements to the documentation, Many inaccuracies have been fixed
-Pain elemental movement speed increased (from 8 to 9)

The major update is still coming, and it should only take me a few more days to release, in the meantime I hope you all enjoy the new changes.
thewolfman00001

Re: Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications (Vanilla Edition)

Postby thewolfman00001 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:36 am

The major update is out! Welcome to Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications: Vanilla Edition. This addon attempts to buff the vanilla arsenal of weaponry to be more effective in combat while attempting to retain vanilla gameplay behavior and stay true to the original balance of OG Doom. The changes this mod makes are as follows:

-Removing RNG from weapon and enemy damage
-Adjusting weapon stats to be more effective than vanilla, while retaining the vanilla behavior and gameplay balance of each weapon
-Adjusting enemy damage values to be more in line with vanilla due to RNG removal, while retaining vanilla behavior

This mod does NOT include:
-Custom weaponry
-Custom power-ups
-New/Modified skill levels
-Adjusted ammo counts and Buffed items
-Modified monster or weapon behavior (for the most part)

As usual, details of the changes can be found below and download links can be found both here and above at the main post. Run this with the latest version of GZDoom and don't use this with any mods/wads that tamper with gameplay, items, weaponry, or monsters (this includes the main version of the mod)

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IM10UE ... sp=sharing

Weapon Changes:
Spoiler:

Enemy Changes:
Spoiler:

Cheat Code Information:
Spoiler:
Last edited by thewolfman00001 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:50 am, edited 11 times in total.
thewolfman00001

Re: Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications (Major Update Released

Postby thewolfman00001 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 am

Update to the vanilla edition has been released. The changes include:

-Adjustment of enemy and weapon damage values
-Refinement of documentation

I hope you all enjoy the update!
thewolfman00001

Postby thewolfman00001 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:09 am

Update to the Vanilla edition has been released. The changes include

-Further adjustments to weapon stats and quality of life improvements for some of the low tier weapons (pistol, fist, and chainsaw)
-Icon Of Sin/Romero Head health nerfed from 600 to 350, due to balance reasons
-Refinement of documentation

As of this point onward, the vanilla edition of Wolfman's game-play modifications will not be receiving any new updates, as I consider development of the addon 100% complete. I will be putting my efforts into the main version for some final cleanup and balance tweaking and then this mod will be considered finished, in the meantime though I hope you all enjoy the changes, and as usual you can learn more in the details section of the Vanilla Edition. Have fun!
thewolfman00001

Postby thewolfman00001 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Update to the vanilla edition has been released (I swear this is going to be the last update to the vanilla edition lmao.) The changes include:

-Adjustment of weapon damage values across the board, Pistol and Chainsaw have been buffed further to be more viable
-Adjustment of Cyber-Demon rocket damage to coincide with the rocket damage buff
-Addition of cheat code documentation to the original post (for informational purposes)

Alright then, time to get to work on the main version. I hope you all enjoy the changes!
thewolfman00001

Re: Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications (Abandoned Branch)

Postby thewolfman00001 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:04 pm

This branch of Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications has been abandoned. I will keep these versions up for historical value, but you can find the final version here https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nt-2056185
thewolfman00001

Re: Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications (Continued on Doomworl

Postby theroguemonk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:19 pm

is it me or is this very vanilla game mod? because i see no change appearance wise
theroguemonk
Banned User

Github ID: monk
Operating System: Other OS Not Listed Here
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications (Continued on Doomworl

Postby thewolfman00001 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:42 am

theroguemonk wrote:is it me or is this very vanilla game mod? because i see no change appearance wise

Yes, it's meant to be a rebalance of sorts. There are no visual changes.
thewolfman00001

Return to Gameplay Mods