Zeta-Dimensional Shopping System for DoomRL Arsenal [2.7]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Zeta-Dimensional Shopping System for DoomRL Arsenal [2.5

Postby Simon-v » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:37 am

Tesculpture wrote:Is there any chance you could make a version of this for LegenDoom?

Extremely unlikely. Sorry.

fakemai wrote:I can try but I don't do a lot of Doom modding or really want to do anything too extensive either, at least not without input. For now this just allows the bonus quotas to be adjusted. I have some idea of what I want to do for the actual creditless bit in that it just needs to not read/write specific CVars and not allow the setting to be changed mid-game.

Note, I can't test multiplayer with this, and when I was trying in fake multiplayer with the original mod it forgot all item unlocks anyway. Not happy.

EDIT: Diff pulled while I expand it a bit.
EDIT2: Reuploaded, original diff included for comparison. It allows disabling of the individual bonuses now, at least I think I did it right. I'm about to try and do the rest.
EDIT3: An attempt was made but the shared state stuff is proving a little awkward, I'm currently playing it though while I do DRLA, so I'm just making sure it's truly separate except for things like unlocked items and such. Also personal note: .gitignore for *.o and *.pk3 so it doesn't point those out or try to track them.

I'll be honest with you. I'm not convinced the end user should be provided with too many fine-tuning options. Most people will just leave them at the defaults, and every option adds to a cognitive burden. While it's entirely possible to make every little bit configurable, a much better option, i feel, would be to keep the option set as simple as possible, ideally, one or two toggles and a set of sane defaults. I'll keep thinking about this for a while, before settling on something, if you don't mind.
Simon-v

Postby fakemai » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:35 am

You do what works best for the mod as you want it. I'm fine to just leave this as adjustments my end as I like to do it after all.

Current warning, I did something wrong because end-of-game should at least be tracked. Learned that the very hard way with a recent OBLIGE episode and lost 3 uniques. Also for non-persistent credits, I'm using 25/5/1 kills/items/secrets as thresholds. With LegenDoom Lite set to 100% bosses and "legendaries over time" (high amount of saleable armor and weapons, and guaranteed uniques from bosses) that should allow the most expensive items (100000 credits?) around half-way into Plutonia if you're the thorough sort.
fakemai

Postby Simon-v » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:03 am

I pushed a minimal set of changes that implement some or most of your requirements. I hope it helps.
Simon-v

Postby fakemai » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:32 pm

Thank you! I did a couple of playthroughs but need to do it on a clean configuration since certain things I do are heavily skewing things. LegenDoom Lite in particular is far too fast-ramping with "over time" and makes too many items, Colourful Hell will likely have the same issue. Beyond that, I actually got the bee armor twice across a megawad (20000 credits) and I'm not sure what to do about the pricing stuff. It looks like you mostly kept it to rarity rather than usefulness so the prototype shield and Fallout suit are pretty inexpensive relative to the reactive shield for example.

Anyway it'll be fun to play with. I'll try actually using insurance too and see how that affects things. Shame it won't have helped with the last death there's at least two things it doesn't affect.
Spoiler:

EDIT: Couple of observations.
- Finding the main source of income to be armor from legendaries, specific weapon drops from DRLM enemies (Plasma Shotgun, Tristar Blaster) and occasionally duplicates out of crates. With that the between-stage is just a bit extra at default, potentially enough to negate insurance costs depending on the map. Without that is where I would use the higher rate settings, or if I just wanted to have a bit of fun.
- Insurance really helps with default legendary settings since they can instantly destroy you. However repeated errors are extremely damaging to later playthroughs since you'll have to fix the increased rates and tolerate more risk early on, and can't make up for it with stored credits.
fakemai

Postby 8i89oy » Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Now I'm probably the only one having this issue, but when trying to run this addon I happen to get the following error
https://i.imgur.com/4et4AHQ.png
(i legit made an account not a few minutes ago as im typing this out but i *have* been playing doom mods on GZDoom for a while now but my knowledge on the technical side of it all is pretty much nothing at best, any help would be graciously appreciated)
8i89oy

Postby Simon-v » Fri May 08, 2020 1:08 am

You need to pay attention to your load order. Zeta-Shop depends on Arsenal, so it must come after it on the command line. Consider using a launcher program or writing a batch file or launcher with your preferred mods to ease your startup.
Simon-v

Postby spectrefps » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Love this mod. Pairs perfectly with DRLA. Been having a blast with it during my runs with the Renegade and Scout. I did run into a small snag however: the revised auto-assembly system makes certain combinations of weapons/mods impossible to make.

I made a Shredder pistol (P + T; uses shotgun ammo, fires a long burst, great with the scout) and decided to improve its damage potential with a Power mod. However, doing so instantly converts it to a Plasma pistol (which no longer uses shells, and eats into my valuable cell ammo XD). I tried reloading my save and adding another mod first (a bulk mod) to see if that would 'block' it from converting to a Plasma pistol, but no luck. :/

Is there a way to prevent/disable this or am I just barred from adding Power mods to a Shredder pistol? (I could try Bulk mods, but the 15-20 shot bursts take longer to finish vs. just upping the base damage; plus I'm swimming in Power mods this run XD)
spectrefps

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Simon-v » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Thank you for your encouragement!

I'm afraid that making upgrade paths seamless is the very thing the auto-assembly system is designed for. The only workaround i can think of is:
  1. Enable assembly learning in the Arsenal options (the auto-assembler respects this option)
  2. Forget the Plasma Pistol recipe (likely through take RLPlasmaPistolAssemblyLearntToken)
Simon-v

Postby spectrefps » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 pm

Ah ok, I understand. I just was kind of confused since I didn't know the Storm/Plasma pistols were supposed to be the higher 'tier' of the Shredder pistol (since they use completely different ammo types, so that threw me off). I did the fix you suggested and that seemed to work (though I have to remember to 'give' the recipe back if I want to build a Storm/Plasma pistol in the future, and it'll auto-craft the Storm pistol if I drop stuff XD). But I think I'll omit *just* the auto-assembly addon on my next run, since I like throwing Power mods (MORE POWAHH!!! >:D) on a bunch of my crafted guns. XD

Thanks for the reply and info though! Also the Shredder pistol with Power+Bulk mods is super satisfying with a Scout. Just melts enemies! XD

And I love the gun/armor-dex aspect of the shop, how it tracks everything you unlocked/built so far. Adds a lot to the fun of DRLA! :D
spectrefps

Re: Zeta-Dimensional Shopping System for DoomRL Arsenal [2.6

Postby Simon-v » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:11 am

Version 2.6 has been released.

Notable changes:

• Add an option to adjust how generous the game is about your performance
  • Add an option to not carry over your credits between campaigns
  • All removed backpacks will now drop any extraneous ammo, not only sold ones
  • Various small tweaks and fixes
Simon-v

Postby fakemai » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 am

The ammo dropping feature is highly exploitable with the Dedicated Backpack by dropping and re-equipping it, assuming you somehow have ammo issues with it in the first place. Also cheesy is finding a unique/legendary set armor and keeping it to farm the other half from crates. That can be done every 4 levels at best so you can't make a profit buying it from the start (but it will allow you to re-gain much of what is spent on it and saves buying both pieces since you can be pretty assured of finding the other half via that), but it's very profitable if you find one naturally, just needs some micro-management to ensure it's the only set completable on your person when you break it open.
fakemai

Postby Simon-v » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:22 am

fakemai wrote:The ammo dropping feature is highly exploitable with the Dedicated Backpack by dropping and re-equipping it, assuming you somehow have ammo issues with it in the first place.

Can you confirm that you can get more ammo from the dedicated backpack than you picked up to fill it? With numbers, please, if possible. I'm reasonably sure it drops half the ammo when you remove it to make up for the double ammo you get with it.

fakemai wrote:Also cheesy is finding a unique/legendary set armor and keeping it to farm the other half from crates. That can be done every 4 levels at best so you can't make a profit buying it from the start (but it will allow you to re-gain much of what is spent on it and saves buying both pieces since you can be pretty assured of finding the other half via that), but it's very profitable if you find one naturally, just needs some micro-management to ensure it's the only set completable on your person when you break it open.

See the "known issues" section in the OP. Unfortunately, this can't be fixed without designing a replacement supply crate.
Simon-v

Postby fakemai » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 pm

Using current DRLA and Zetashop official download, start new game as Scout, standard difficulty.
  • Start at 60 bullets. Summon rldedicatedbackpackpickup, equip for non-bullet ammo.
  • Reduces to 40 bullets but spawns 3 clips worth 30 total.
  • Drop backpack, set to bullet ammo, pick up 3 clips for 60 bullets.
  • Drop backpack, set to non-bullet, receive clip and box (60)
    Set back to bullet and get 120. Keep repeating as necessary, it also works for other ammo types and other classes.
If that doesn't reproduce maybe it's an engine issue, I can only run LZDoom, currently 3.86a

Simon-v wrote:See the "known issues" section in the OP.

I, actually read that and didn't even realize that was what it meant. Dumb mistake.
fakemai

Postby spectrefps » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:34 pm

Simon-v wrote:Version 2.6 has been released.

Notable changes:

• Add an option to adjust how generous the game is about your performance
  • Add an option to not carry over your credits between campaigns
  • All removed backpacks will now drop any extraneous ammo, not only sold ones
  • Various small tweaks and fixes

Yes! Been waiting for this change! After this run is done, I'm grabbing the newest version! :D
spectrefps

Postby Simon-v » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:46 am

fakemai wrote:Using current DRLA and Zetashop official download, start new game as Scout, standard difficulty.
  • Start at 60 bullets. Summon rldedicatedbackpackpickup, equip for non-bullet ammo.
  • Reduces to 40 bullets but spawns 3 clips worth 30 total.
  • Drop backpack, set to bullet ammo, pick up 3 clips for 60 bullets.
  • Drop backpack, set to non-bullet, receive clip and box (60)
    Set back to bullet and get 120. Keep repeating as necessary, it also works for other ammo types and other classes.
If that doesn't reproduce maybe it's an engine issue, I can only run LZDoom, currently 3.86a

Well, i don't really know what to say. It sounds like it works exactly as intended, just happens to have some unintended consequences, in the form of a rather trivial gain as a result of fiddling. If you're prepared to do that, why not just buy a nano modpack and never worry about ammo again?

To be honest, i have no idea how to discourage this particular form of black pudding farming without breaking the feature, much like i have no idea how to address the technician being able to gain the negligible benefit of getting a whole 100 extra credits from exotic pistols compared to all other classes. I don't even know if i should. For now, i'm adding those two quirks to the known issues list and leaving sorting them to some other time.
Simon-v

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods