BRUTAL HEXEN RPG (ZDL Edition) v4.7

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: BRUTAL HEXEN RPG (ZDL Edition) v4.7

Postby legluondunet » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:28 pm

ZDL_800: I will try to compile last svn version.

Could you watch the video of the bug:
https://youtu.be/z5l2Npi2FWM

As you can see, the bug appears only with baratus class, not with others class.
Last edited by legluondunet on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
legluondunet

Github ID: legluondunet
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby DarkQuill » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:14 pm

Played through Deathkings on the Volatile difficulty, as Baratus using the Ethereal Sword.

- Afrits on the first level are easily the hardest thing in the game. Without armor these things demolish you. Even with armor they seem to do quite a bit more damage than other enemies, might need to scale that back a little.
- Players should start with a slightly higher max HP. Fighter should start at 100, Cleric at 80, Mage at 60. Mage's current starting 45HP is far too low. Mage's movespeed is also bad.
- Crafting menu should allow you to select a learned recipe and automatically craft it if you have the materials, instead of clicking on the required mana types 30 times.
- For the stat-boosting potions, I sometimes found that you could add the non-mana ingredients, and then have the option to craft it be available before topping out on all of the mana types. The game will still subtract the correct amount of mana though, so not a big deal.
- Need a script that will determine if you have all Crafting Recipes (say, when you move to the next main hub) and have something else replace them, even if it's just a Quartz Flask.
- The Summon Familiar key never stays bound between game sessions.
- If you are moving forwards while blocking, you will still take damage, even if you just tap forward once while walking. May need to move the reflection radius forward a little more so you can at least do small movement adjustments.
- Reflected projectiles can get stuck on your shield.
- Stats should have descriptive text underneath or such to describe what they do.
- Minimum range for Flechette toss should be a tiny bit further so you don't accidentally drop it perfectly in place if you tap the key. Only needs a tiny bit of momentum.
- Been a while since I've played regular Hexen so I might be remembering wrong, but the updated projectiles Traductus shoots at you is ridiculously overpowered.
- Quietus seems to be a good overall balance between the Hammer of Retribution's raw power, but I found myself never bothering to use the Ethereal Sword again after hitting level 20, even to use the Ethereal Slash special.
- Hammer is REALLY good for killing bosses, whereas Quietus is a bit of a joke by comparison. I could kill bosses in 3-4 hits with the Hammer, but even trying a cheat-run with upgraded Quietus, it just didn't do anywhere near enough damage for the mana cost or time spent.
- Familiar summon is really good. May need to give the Maulotaur summon similar treatment, or at least remove the friendly fire, as it is outclassed by the Golem in every way.
- Finished the game at level 22, so never got to use the upgraded Quietus in normal play. This included abusing the unlimited spawn traps on both Brackenwood and Locus Requiescat for Ettins and Reivers respectively.

Did some tests with the other classes, just going to echo what others have said that their weapons are almost all vastly underpowered. I would recommend setting up their "Brutalized" weapons and balancing, as well as giving them the Golem Familiar first before doing more Starter Weapon variants for them.

All in all, it was a lot of fun. The new Lightning Crossbow looks great and has a lot more punch to it than the old Brutal Hexen one. Not having to rely on fatalities to squeeze out as much EXP as possible is also a big plus. Looking forward to more updates!
DarkQuill

Postby Feo123 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:04 am

Hello!
Thanks for great mod to all authors!

Just want to ask for a megawad.
thanks in advance
Feo123

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby ZDL_800 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello and thankyou for the replies.

Sent over the MegaWAD to all, hope you enjoy.

Legluondunet regarding the mouse cursor on the fighter class, I've seen the video and what's strange is the main title menu looks different from this version. What version of Brutal Hexen are you using? I've never seen this before unless you started a coop but again use the gatheryourparty mod which fixes this issue, only occurs when a client player is in the stat menu while the host player moves through a portal, but again we fixed this issue.

Post a screenshot of the mod order and use the patched Hexen.wad

DarkQuill thanks for the list, we are balancing all classes and weapons but we have a bigger issue here, the bloody Death Wyvern
bosses all get stuck/clip into the walls and bug out, they don't fire and they just scream constantly, were researching online and there's many posts regarding this.

From the research done, if not setup correctly, the death wyvern would stay idle or fall to the ground, but this is not the case here, they fly around, but after a few mins, they all get stuck in the wall?

I'm going to create a new thread and request help from the community, I cannot figure this out.

Thanks again everyone.
ZDL_800

Postby legluondunet » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:32 am

"what's strange is the main title menu looks different from this version. What version of Brutal Hexen are you using? "
I downloaded the 4.7 version from the first page of this thread.

I'm not using the patched Hexen, I own the Steam version but I don't know how to patch it.

"Post a screenshot of the mod order"

I used the mod order indicated:
1 - BrutalHexenRPG_V4.7.pk3
2 - hexen_gz.pk3
3 - HEXEN64.wad

Code: Select allExpand view
./gzdoom -iwad hexen.wad -config gzdoom.ini -file mods/BrutalHexenRPG_V4.7.pk3 -file mods/hexen_gz.pk3 -file mods/3_HEXEN64.wad

Could you tell me what to do about this video? The game does not use it isn't it?
Hexen%20Intro%20Movie.avi
legluondunet

Postby legluondunet » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:03 pm

I confirm I can reproduce the issue with fresh GZDoom version form git.
legluondunet

Postby ZDL_800 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Legluondunet where is the cursor in the video? Its not there, so I have booted up Brutal Hexen and disabled the mouse cursor in the options, now its the same.

So go to options and enable mouse cursor. Also enable mouselook.

Also it looks like you don't have the upscaled textures working or the modded music either, use ZDL to organize the mods.

Hope this helps.
ZDL_800

Postby legluondunet » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:41 pm

I enabled "mouselook" and now I can click on menu.
I used default gzdoom.ini config file and mouselook was disabled per default.
Problem resolved, thank you.

Now could you tell me what to do about this video? The game does not use it isn't it?
Hexen%20Intro%20Movie.avi

And do I still need to patch my Steam hexen wad? What's the benefits?
legluondunet

Postby ZDL_800 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:18 pm

I guess you haven't opened up the stat menu or crafting menu? Disabling the mouse cursor would effect all the classes.

The video is upscaled to watch on any media player, it doesn't run with the game.

If you have the Steam version then its updated, I believe 1.1

Glad to be of help, thanks again.
ZDL_800

Postby MrTish » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Hi,

Could I also get the megawad?

Many thanks in advance!
MrTish

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Svperstar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Due to the exploding barrel feature you can get stuck in the Deathkings DLC.

I couldn't figure out where to go and it turns out at this section at 1:58 you can see barrels you are supposed to jump on to progress:
https://youtu.be/qDyaBpKG-24?t=118

Didn't even notice barrels there while I was fighting so I guess I broke them so this made it so I couldn't progress.
Svperstar

Postby Q3DM6 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 am

Can I get the megawad or a tutorial of how to join the Hexen and Death Kings wads?
Q3DM6

Postby DenisEr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:24 am

Hello, could I get the MegaWAD as well?
Thanks in advance!
DenisEr

Postby yaboi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:47 pm

love the mod, could i also grab the megawad?
yaboi

Postby Darkside05 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Fantastic work!! Hexen is one of my all time favorites and this brings so much more play to it.

Could I also grab the megawad too? Thanks in advance!
Darkside05

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods