Legion of Bones [1.05]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Legion of Bones [1.02]

Post by Brohnesorge »

Hmmm. Thought I did have LoB after SZ but I very well could be an idiot. I'll have to double check when I get home later.

E: So the option is there it's just invisible.

E2: So the option was invisible because compendium. Fonts

E3: Ignore all of this I wasn't on latest LOB and it isnt a problem now.
Last edited by Brohnesorge on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I noticed the Guncaster thing; from what I can tell, you have to design the monsters to specifically work with it.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

Oh God, this is why I love the Doom modding scene to bits. Thank you for this, it's really cool. I haven't noticed any bugs so far, but I also played with this for a short while only. Anyway, the skeletal Pinky stole my heart and doesn't want to give it back :<
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Tried this with Project Babel, I doubt that the fear system is working correctly with it.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

The idea of ​​Double Death is very good but I noticed that happen that old common bug of the enemy die and fail to pass phase for exemple E1M8: Phobos Anomaly (Doom I), MAP07: Dead Simple (Doom II) but the good news is that only happens in these double difficulties, in others it works perfectly. Very fun mod, the monsters fit the doom theme better than the original monsters.
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Thanks! Yeah, this is most likely because of the unique death state that vanilla monsters have on DD, so they don't actually die until the respawn begins and their corpse is removed. Theoretically, this should mean that it would properly activate after all of the vanilla monsters spawn in as undead, but that seems to not be the case.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

SpacemanStrife wrote:Thanks! Yeah, this is most likely because of the unique death state that vanilla monsters have on DD, so they don't actually die until the respawn begins and their corpse is removed. Theoretically, this should mean that it would properly activate after all of the vanilla monsters spawn in as undead, but that seems to not be the case.
With me it didn't work and it happened on Doom I and II but as the other modes worked well I leave double death only for maps whose enemies don't need to activate anything after they die.
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Works well with Lt. Typhon.
Darkrune

Post by Darkrune »

I've encountered a minor glitch multiple times in double death mode.
If a large group of monsters die at the same time and in the same general space they won't res and they'll block the player, unless you crouch.
Alptraum
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Alptraum »

In hell, they consume their calcium.

Such a nice mod. Imagine playing it with skull related maps and guns ^^
ValeriePalerie

Post by ValeriePalerie »

Works like a charm with High Noon Drifter, thematically and mechanically; the extra ammoless attacks you get are kinda perfect for dealing with extra monsters in DD mode.
hornbuckle0wns

Post by hornbuckle0wns »

Been playing with this as my dedicated monster mod while playing through all the mapsets final doomer has made weapons for (except for hellbound and AA but I put this on eviternity so it balances out?). I love the theme and the new monster behaviors, plays amazing. I've been switching inbetween normal and DD difficulties through episodes and mapsets to get a good impression of both. I'd say this functions totally fine as a monster replacement, but I feel like DD is what this mod should be, I love the idea so much. However, the 10 second respawn time can be kinda crippling. Sure it works fine and adds a nice obstacle when you're playing a more run n gun way, but if you're actively trying to clear out rooms and monsters, having to stand still and wait 10 seconds for them to respawn is kinda lame. So, I'd recommend what I hope is an easy solution, adjustable respawn times. Just a slider that goes from like, instant respawn to 25 seconds or something, idk. A few other little ideas I have, I love how terrifying the mancubus and arachnotrons are, maybe give the mancubus spookier sounds? Like making the alert sound a good amount louder and more distinct, and maybe some sounds while it fires. The revenant could totally use the chaos revenant sprites from GMOTA, current one is just grey revenant. Great mod, looking forward to updates!
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Thanks for the feedback!

I considered using Amuscaria's excellent Hell-Forged monster sprites for the Revenant (which GMOTA's Chaos Revenant originates from) and Arachnotron, but I felt like I wanted to try and sprite something on my own first. Perhaps I can tweak the Draugr sprites a little so that it's more befitting of the soul/ghostly theme that LOB's Revenant has.

In the meantime, 1.03 is up! Here's the changes:

- Added a settings menu for Legion of Bones that's accessible through the standard options menu. This allows you to change the respawn delay as well as the effect of the Balrog's hellfire (even disabling it altogether).
- Balrog's hellfire effect radius reduced from 600 to 500.
- Balrogs are now resistant to fire damage.
- Reworked hellfire's effect so that instead of preventing all forms of infighting, it prevents monsters from being targeted by other monsters. This allows Balrogs to properly retaliate against monsters outside of their command radius instead of immediately attacking the player.
hornbuckle0wns

Re: Legion of Bones [1.03]

Post by hornbuckle0wns »

Whoa, great timing! Gonna run through alien vendetta with it now. Also your spritework on everything else is fantastic, great job! I especially love the mancubus and arachnotron out of this set, they're so cool and terrifying, which is kinda why I want the mancubus to be as loud and harsh as the arachnotron, but still keep that kinda low howl/roar intact. The revenant sprite is fine, it's just pretty vanilla for my tastes and I am in love with the look of the chaos revenant lol. I'm also looking forward to what you're gonna do with the cyber, I don't really have any ideas other than maybe make it a skeleton-like creature with all of its organs kinda hovering inside it, and give it really spooky levitating eyeballs that pierce through you with their gaze. Thanks for responding so quickly, and great work!

EDIT: Goddamn, it's hard as hell, but Final Doomer alien vendetta on DD "easy" is soo fun, this mod benefits great from having quick-fire or crowd control weapons on DD. Too slow to reload or fire and you'll get swarmed easily on harder mapsets.
Last edited by hornbuckle0wns on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
memredi

Re: Legion of Bones [1.03]

Post by memredi »

Hey, I've just developed a compat patch for DoomRL Arsenal that makes zombie infantry drop battle rifle, okay if I post the link of it?

Though, I didnt alter what retro skeletons will drop

Return to “Gameplay Mods”