If Bethesda Bought Out Modern Doom Source Ports

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NiTROACTiVE

If Bethesda Bought Out Modern Doom Source Ports

Post by NiTROACTiVE »

Could you imagine if Bethesda Softworks bought out modern Doom source ports such as GZDoom, LZDoom, QZDoom, and ZDoom? Well, let's just say that it wouldn't be pretty at all.

This is a joke WAD that I had an idea for ever since Bethesda would force you to login to a BNet account to play the classic Doom trilogy on systems such as the Nintendo Switch.

Go here to get the joke WAD:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vpk306ah ... m.zip/file
camper

Re: If Bethesda Bought Out Modern Doom Source Ports

Post by camper »

Therefore, freedoom is so important. And all independent IWAD
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Fortunately this time i registered the NZDoom (Neo ZDoom) trademark.
You never can get enough of them. :lol:
Just kidding about that NZDoom thing... or may be not. :mrgreen:
Gezzdt

Post by Gezzdt »

Imagine you have to login to quit a game... :shock:
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

Thanks, I hate it.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

Don't give them ideas
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

They can't buy GZDoom or its derivatives even if they wanted to. Possibly ZDoom itself, but absent any GPL-related code, and they'd also need a license from Ken Silverman to use his code, as well. Maybe others?

The only thing that Bethesda owns in the GZDoom source code is the Doom IP and any code that originally came from Doom. That means any contributions that have occurred since its GPL license switch-over are property of the contributors, themselves. And considering the worsening serial faux pas, especially since Fallout 76, where they are starting to show their hand with greed, it's highly unlikely that the contributors are ever going to relicense their code to allow that, unless they make a significant payment to each one - most particularly Graf, Randi, mental, and dpJudas, who probably will all need much bigger payments than everyone else. Oh, and good luck tracking all of them down - there might even be some who have died since they have contributed.

That's one of the downsides of GPL for a corporation: Once it's out there, you can't grab it back.

So really - you don't have to worry about them getting "ideas" - the worst they can do is C&D the project and shut it down. They cannot claim it as their own. Another thing they could do, though, is create a public fork and distribute that in the app store, but just like everyone else, they'd have to post the source code for their changes. The only exception is if they do that with only the raw Doom code, itself, which they fully own. They can do whatever they want with that. And only that.
Gez

Post by Gez »

NiTROACTiVE wrote:Could you imagine if Bethesda Softworks bought out modern Doom source ports such as GZDoom
They could buy the name, but the source code would remain free and open, allowing anyone to make their own fork without any of the annoyances that your scenario would add.
memredi

Post by memredi »

Is this WAD powered by unity? If not, it ought to be..
camper

Post by camper »

Rachael wrote:...... The only exception is if they do that with only the raw Doom code, itself, which they fully own. They can do whatever they want with that. And only that.
https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

camper wrote:
Rachael wrote:...... The only exception is if they do that with only the raw Doom code, itself, which they fully own. They can do whatever they want with that. And only that.
If there was a point to linking that, I fail to see it. That does not really do anything to support or rebut my point, and nobody can read your mind.
nazakomu

Post by nazakomu »

Gezzdt wrote:Imagine you have to login to quit a game... :shock:
Guess it'd be time for the user to open Task Manager and terminate the process, then.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Can I run this with the Lootbox Mod for maximum cancer?
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'm getting flashbacks to Chubzdoomer's Call of Dooty series, especially the Green Armor DLC. Too bad he stopped making more. Unlike the source material that was original. Not the same regurgitated crap we get served once every year by Activision.
cybie69

Post by cybie69 »

Rachael wrote:
camper wrote:
If there was a point to linking that, I fail to see it. That does not really do anything to support or rebut my point, and nobody can read your mind.
I mean it kind of does. Based on the latest GNU GPL3 write up. No one owns it you can't since its open sourced if it wasn't we wouldnt have the source ports we do today that's kinda the point John Carmack released it in the first place so it would rot and go dead. Bethesda can obtain a license to use the code but, just because they own the copyright for the IP that doesn't include the source code. Think for two seconds if they did own the source code it wouldnt be in someone's github files just out in the open to use. Bethesda obtain a license to use the source code like everyone else that has to in order to sell a game using it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”