[RELEASE & UPLOADED TO ARCHIVE] One With The Force

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MartinHowe

[RELEASE & UPLOADED TO ARCHIVE] One With The Force

Post by MartinHowe »

Commence primary ignition like it's 1995! :P

This is a light-weight reskin-orientated mod that aims to give the player a classic Star Wars Doom feel with more consistency and fewer bugs.

This is now at V1.0 and has been uploaded to the archive.

textfile download

Enjoy!

Screenshots:

Last edited by MartinHowe on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MaxRideWizardLord

Re: One With the Force - A lightweight Star Wars mod for Doo

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Will it have force lightning like in Jedi Academy, and force grip that you can use with +use like in Duke Forces mod and grab + choke to death any enemy in vision?
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:Will it have force lightning like in Jedi Academy, and force grip that you can use with +use like in Duke Forces mod and grab + choke to death any enemy in vision?
Not at this point - it's intended to be a strict as possible to old-skool doom; however I am currently considering my options for a sort of "advanced effects pack".
First, though, I need to finish playtesting it and complete missing bits :)
Xim

Post by Xim »

This looks awesome. Definitely going to be playing this when I have the chance.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Xim wrote:This looks awesome. Definitely going to be playing this when I have the chance.
Coming from you, architect of one of the most complete Star Wars mods ever, that's high praise, thanks :D

I think there's a place for both kinds of mods, depending on the maps being played. Plus nostalgia isn't what it used to be :p

For the observant among everyone, you will notice that the sprites are the old grotty ones, particularly noticeable with the interrogator droids, rather than the cleaner ones from DF; again, this is deliberate. Even the Unholy Bible and Evil Scepter force curse pickups are, AFAIK, the older versions that Romero released some time ago, not the better looking ones in the 2014/2015 dump.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

this is pretty charming, i like it. i have a soft spot for old Doom TCs that replaces graphics and sounds while keeping the core gameplay more or less the same. i was actually going through old Star Wars Doom compilations a while ago, so seeing this new "old" TC was a real treat. :)

there might be some more people interested in this kind of TC over at Doomworld, too. i recall Doomkid recently searching through old Star Wars content over there like me, and he'd probably enjoy this as well. i think he may even have an account over here, too.
Xim

Post by Xim »

MartinHowe wrote:
Xim wrote:This looks awesome. Definitely going to be playing this when I have the chance.
Coming from you, architect of one of the most complete Star Wars mods ever, that's high praise, thanks :D

I think there's a place for both kinds of mods, depending on the maps being played. Plus nostalgia isn't what it used to be :p
Oh yeah I love oldschool mods. There's definitely a place for both of these.

But yeah, I played it and it's is pretty good. Took me a little bit to get used to the weapons not having muzzle flashes, and sometimes I forgot if I was using the shotgun or the chaingun, but other than that it's great! Hope to see more, keep it up!
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

@Xim - glad you liked it :)

The chaingun is now replaced with a separate weapon and some of the artefacts too. Troopers are now replaced by storm troopers and sergeants by bounty hunters. I'm saving the "commandos" for Doom 2 further on down the line, in case I cannot find anything suitable. Sadly, many of the sprites in DF have only one attack sprite angle, which is fine for a game that doesn't allow infighting, but not so good in Doom.

The green armor is going to be confusing (white for storm trooper armor, dark green for bounty hunter armor) but it would look odd if a blue armour pickup represents that of a bounty hunter with green armour. Or maybe I'll have to call it something else.

Gun flashes and recoil are yet to be decided; after all, these are energy and force-magic weapons ... should they even have such properties? Recoil, probably not as I can't draw sprites well by freehand and rotating them in an app would corrupt them badly. Gunflashes, maybe. For now, they all have status light animations to at least make it clear they are doing something.

Current version (prerelease R2) textfile download
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Tried this with and obaddon episode, was pretty decent, definitely interested to see how it progresses.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

BradmanX wrote:Tried this with and obaddon episode, was pretty decent, definitely interested to see how it progresses.

Have done more work on it: replaced all Doom 1 weapons, pickups, monsters and ammo, bar the keys and (for Doom 2) the SSG. No actual support for Doom 2 as yet, but by including the megasphere and SSG, the easy bits are out of the way.

On that note (the SSG), I have asked on the requests thread, but since this is the project thread, I'll ask here too - would any kind soul be able to make an angled version of this railgun sprite by the SkullTag Team (and submitted by Ghastly_dragon)? My attempt with GIMP is good enough to code for and experiment with, but looks awful :(
railgun.png
railgun.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
The hands don't matter as I can add those later, ditto the contents of the bargraph/readout/screen so if they get destroyed in the process, that's fine :)

Full credit will be given in the mod of course.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

EDIT: Please see subsequent post for download and text file.

Here's the very latest version. It's nearly ready for release for Doom 1.

Regarding the SSG replacement (which you can only get by cheating in Doom 1 and even then only in ZDoom AFAIK), I have just realised the rail gun sprite is slightly angled anyway; it now has animations for both ZDoom and Vanilla.

Just tech decorations to do now!

I have paid a lot of attention to consistency and visual cues:

Weapons, their status lights on both pickup and HUD sprites, and their ammo are all colour coded, so you know what kind of ammo/gun you are using:
*Green - clip (electron charges in game)
*Red - shell (positron charges in game)
*Blue - rocket (neutron bolts in game)

All the powerups are magic (i.e., Force):
*Limited duration - rings
*Sticky - scrolls, talismans, etc.

This also works in Vanilla, with DeuSF; of course it doesn't look so good; where necessary, the default frames/sounds/actions are used in Vanilla, with extra frames/sounds/actions only accessible to DECORATE used for ZDoom. If you use it in Vanilla with DeuSF, you can safely ignore "Warning, XXXX might be ignored by Doom" - they are meant to be ignored by (Vanilla) Doom! :)

I have tested this in DosBox with Vanilla Doom, but have not tested it in the original Boom/PRBoom engines, Eternity, Vavoom, EDGE/3DGE, Chocolate Doom and it's derivatives, etc. I have also managed to corrupt the Vanilla DeHackEd patch for text strings, so will have to remake it at some point. Is anyone actually using Vanilla Doom at all these days?
Last edited by MartinHowe on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartinHowe

One With The Force - A lightweight Star Wars mod for Doom 1

Post by MartinHowe »

This is the final release candidate for V1.0 in case anyone wants to playtest it before I submit it to the archive. Spectres have been replaced with something sensible, tech decorations not specific to the HELL theme also, and the text file is now in the correct format. The special effects that are not purely reskinning have been split off into a separate wad (included); currently, that is only the SSG replacement which you won't see in DOOM 1 without cheating anyway.

textfile download

Have fun!
MartinHowe

Re: [RELEASE & UPLOADED TO ARCHIVE] One With The Force

Post by MartinHowe »

Now released and uploaded to the archive.
Download links and screenies in first post.

May you forever be ... One with the Force!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”