Dead Marine REDUX (V1.9.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Dead Marine REDUX

Post by mrtaterz »

UPDATE!

• The Guardian Imp has been replaced with something that is more thematic and fitting with the tone that I am going for. Introducing the Zombie.
Their projectiles that they lob at you have a maximum range and will slowly drop off, which means keeping your distance from them is your best option. They have a high pain tolerance in comparison to the old Guardian Imp enemies, and will require you to use a shotgun to make them feel any sort of pain.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Quick Tips for anyone having difficulty with this mod:
  • Enemies in this are fast, even without Fast Monsters enabled. Most enemies in this have the speed of a Revenant and can easily chase you down. Try to avoid staying in one spot.
  • If you find yourself in a situation where you're up against a Former Sargent and he's coming towards you, your best bet is to try and keep as much distance between you and him as possible and use the Pistol to deal out headshots. The shotgun is either the most powerful or most useless weapon depending entirely on the range of the target.
  • The Pistol is surprisingly accurate and can be used effectively to isolate enemies out of groups and take them out one by one at long range. The Chaingun is not, and should be used against crowds of enemies at close range when you are caught in a bad spot. Do not use the Super Shotgun when faced against multiple enemies. The Chaingun is the best weapon for crowds in this mod.
  • Zombies will not go down permanently unless you knock the soul out of them through sheer force. A Super Shotgun at point blank should be enough power to knock a Zombie down for good. Most of the time.
NEW TIPS!
  • Don't waste Adrenaline Kits; they heal you bit by bit and are good for minor injuries and keeping you in the Blue. Use Medikits when you are seriously injured and think about your resources.
  • Flyers will drop a Suicide Bomber after you destroy them. Take them out quickly.
  • Jetpack Zombies are useless at a distance. Snipe them with your Pistol.
  • The Rifle deals less damage than the Pistol but is way more accurate. If you feel comfortable in close quarters, the Pistol will be a better option.
  • Former Elite Humans wear Bulletproof Armor. Use explosives or Energy weapons like the Plasma Gun or the BFG9000 to cut through them quickly.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

FIXES AND BIG UPDATES!
  • The Shotgun stats were not aligned with the Former Sargent. The Shotgun has had it's damage reduced from 5 to 4 and it's horizontal spread increased from 6 to 8 to match the Former Sargent. The Shotgun and Super Shotgun damage is also no longer randomized.
  • The Zombie has had it's pain threshold decreased, making it easier to make them enter a pain state. They have also had their health lowered and it is now easier to kill them for good.
  • Former Human and Former Sargent pain threshold increased, making it so headshots are required for them to enter their pain state.
  • The Fists and the Chainsaw have been buffed to give them a proper a role in the mod.
  • The Cyberdemon has been replaced with a Former Human in a Tank.
  • Death is cold. So alone.
  • Medikits are now an Inventory Item. Stimpacks are still instant use.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Gettin an sbarinfo error every time on startup. "Line 112 expected integer constant but got '{' instead"
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Whoah wrote:Gettin an sbarinfo error every time on startup. "Line 112 expected integer constant but got '{' instead"
Yeah that shouldnt happen lemme send out a quick patch

Fixed! I love being a new coder and making simple syntax errors.

The SBAR should remove your MUGSHOT and show a number of how many First Aid Kits you have now.

If someone with better coding experience than me were able to tell me how to put the MEDI icon on top of where the MUGSHOT is supposed to be lemme know cuz I'm kinda dum and new and have been trying to look everywhere
Last edited by mrtaterz on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

another update
  • Jetpack Zombie added to the Roster. He replaces the Cacodemon. Some of you may be aware that the Super Flying Imp is the predecessor; he lives on as the Pain Elemental until I figure out what to do with the Lost Soul and Pain Elemental.
  • Pyro Zombie added to the Roster. He replaces the Mancubus. He spits fire. But he's not a rapper.
  • The First Aid Kit now has a HUD icon! Thanks Vostyok! I love you so much, you've always been a big help!
credit goes to Xim for most of the sprite edits, and realm667 for the repository allowing me to do this. I am merely editing and scripting and modifying the code of these actors, and figuring out what I can do with them.
  • Drones and Zombie Flyers are the new enemies added to the Roster. I have done a quick update to the Downloads section.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

UPDATE!
Health Potions have been replaced with Adrenaline Kits!
  • Player can carry way more of these than Medikits and they give you a small health boost
  • Spirit Armor bonuses have also been replaced with Armor Shards, and are now worth way more! Pick them up and live longer!
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Cool update, but I noticed a tiiiiiny little bug. Berserk doesn't seem to be affecting the fists for some reason. But I really like how this is turning out! Keep up the good work
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Whoah wrote:Cool update, but I noticed a tiiiiiny little bug. Berserk doesn't seem to be affecting the fists for some reason. But I really like how this is turning out! Keep up the good work
I will rollout a bugfix as soon as possible. How is the mod in terms of difficulty?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

The zombies can get pretty anmoying pretty quick considering how common they are. I'd suggest either removing their ranged attack or removing their ability to get back up after death. Lowering the range on their blood ball would help too. The lack of having a decent long range weapon makes many firefights almost luckbased since enemies are so devastating at close range, as well. Picking off squads of former humans with a pistol early game is kind of a slog. I'd suggest either including a new, commonly found, long range weapon (perhaps the zombieman rifle? Smooth sprites can be found from smooth doom.) to facilitate having to hang back and take potshots or decreasing the spread of the chaingun or shotgun.

Those are really the only big downsides I can think of. For the most part, the rest of the bestiary is pretty balanced. The Satyr is suitably threatening to face off against and makes for some tense but managable situations. Although, I will admit I will be missing the guardian imp. I liked the idea of having different forms/subspecies of imps serving as hell's soldiers. But yeh, kick ass man. For an early project of yours, this is shaping up pretty good
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Whoah wrote:The zombies can get pretty anmoying pretty quick considering how common they are. I'd suggest either removing their ranged attack or removing their ability to get back up after death. Lowering the range on their blood ball would help too. The lack of having a decent long range weapon makes many firefights almost luckbased since enemies are so devastating at close range, as well. Picking off squads of former humans with a pistol early game is kind of a slog. I'd suggest either including a new, commonly found, long range weapon (perhaps the zombieman rifle? Smooth sprites can be found from smooth doom.) to facilitate having to hang back and take potshots or decreasing the spread of the chaingun or shotgun.

Those are really the only big downsides I can think of. For the most part, the rest of the bestiary is pretty balanced. The Satyr is suitably threatening to face off against and makes for some tense but managable situations. Although, I will admit I will be missing the guardian imp. I liked the idea of having different forms/subspecies of imps serving as hell's soldiers. But yeh, kick ass man. For an early project of yours, this is shaping up pretty good
I will lower the damage on the blood ball and make the gravity on them lower, maybe make it so they lob them like grenades and then they explode.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Alrighty. Do bear in mind that they are replacing the most common enemy in the entire game, and mappers frequently use them in large groups. So numbers are always a strength they have, regardless of the map. If I were you, I would balance them around overwhelming their opponent. Making them hard to kill with a big health pool and tendency to get back up, but slow and melee only, would make them a constant and unsettling threat, which would both serve as a challenge and something to help the mood as well. That's just my thoughts, of course. At the end of the day, this is all 100% your call

EDIT: Just tested the Cyberdemon replacement, and he needs MUUUUCH more health. In a test map, I killed him with my pistol in like 7 or 8 shots
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Whoah wrote:
EDIT: Just tested the Cyberdemon replacement, and he needs MUUUUCH more health. In a test map, I killed him with my pistol in like 7 or 8 shots
The Jetpack Zombie advantage comes from being hard to hit because they dodge your projectiles and do high damage up close. They have the same health as most Former Humans; do you really think I should buff their health? D:

EDIT: They were hard to deal with before because they did too much damage (when I originally got them from the Realm667 repository, they just used A_Chase instead of A_FastChase and did like 20 damage instead of like the 3 that they do now), maybe I should buff their damage a little more?
Helion

Post by Helion »

Okey, did some testing, Cacodemon replacement is MUCH easier to kill and barely a threat now, and I don't think they are hard to hit as you say.

Cyberdemon replacement can be killed in 1 rocket or several pistol bullets, basicly a non-threat.

Mancubus dies in a few hits from bullet weapons, but otherwise has a weapon so powerful he might as well be equipped with a flame version of the bfg, he either kills himself instantly or you or booth, this is pretty ridiculous, please balance him to do less dmg but also take more hits.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Helion wrote:Okey, did some testing, Cacodemon replacement is MUCH easier to kill and barely a threat now, and I don't think they are hard to hit as you say.

Cyberdemon replacement can be killed in 1 rocket or several pistol bullets, basicly a non-threat.

Mancubus dies in a few hits from bullet weapons, but otherwise has a weapon so powerful he might as well be equipped with a flame version of the bfg, he either kills himself instantly or you or booth, this is pretty ridiculous, please balance him to do less dmg but also take more hits.
All of these issues have been fixed in the latest update!
Last edited by mrtaterz on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”