Dead Marine REDUX (V1.9.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Dead Marine REDUX

Post by mrtaterz »

Gifty wrote:Hey! Thanks for taking interest in my old mod; I haven't worked on it in a while, so it's heartening to see it hasn't been totally forgotten and that people are still tinkering with it. Cheers!
Yeah, this started off as a little side thing because I didn't like the Dark Imp sprite and then it derailed into something else entirely. Funny how that works.

I love the core ideas of your mod and tried to capture and enhance the essence of it. Beautiful work, and I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and tell me how you feel about my project! Glad you approve! :D
faslrn

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.0)

Post by faslrn »

Here is a quick fix for the shotgun being invisible for a frame:

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmtzhuhwnwmui7q/DeadMarineRedux-v1.0-shotgun_fix.pk3?dl=0
After playing with the mod a bit, I enjoy it! Few pieces of feedback:

- Rifle still feels off. I think it has to do with how the pistol and chaingun keep firing as you hold fire compared to the rifle unless you use the 3-round burst on the rifle. Then you run the risk of wasting shots if the enemy dies on shot 1 or 2. 
- Having replaced some of the projectile enemies with more hitscans makes some maps just feel ruthless. Minute I pop my head out from a corner, my screen is already red.
- Grenades still feel a bit floaty at the lowest strength. When I just want to roll a grenade out, it looks really odd
- I don't hear the grenade explosion sounds too often and wonder if it has actually gone off.
- Grenade explosions feel a bit lackluster. In big action areas, I often can't see it going off easily.
- Constant zoom-in/out when firing the plasma gun is a bit disorienting when running around
Even with all the feedback above, this does make any map set feel completely different - you can run through any map you've played through several times before and get a brand-new experience. Keep it up!
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

faslrn wrote:Here is a quick fix for the shotgun being invisible for a frame:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmtzhuhwnwmui7q/DeadMarineRedux-v1.0-shotgun_fix.pk3?dl=0
After playing with the mod a bit, I enjoy it! Few pieces of feedback:

- Rifle still feels off. I think it has to do with how the pistol and chaingun keep firing as you hold fire compared to the rifle unless you use the 3-round burst on the rifle. Then you run the risk of wasting shots if the enemy dies on shot 1 or 2. 
- Having replaced some of the projectile enemies with more hitscans makes some maps just feel ruthless. Minute I pop my head out from a corner, my screen is already red.
- Grenades still feel a bit floaty at the lowest strength. When I just want to roll a grenade out, it looks really odd
- I don't hear the grenade explosion sounds too often and wonder if it has actually gone off.
- Grenade explosions feel a bit lackluster. In big action areas, I often can't see it going off easily.
- Constant zoom-in/out when firing the plasma gun is a bit disorienting when running around
Even with all the feedback above, this does make any map set feel completely different - you can run through any map you've played through several times before and get a brand-new experience. Keep it up!
You're the man! Thanks for the feedback, I can try to make further improvements to grenades.

Also, thanks for the frame fix, I have been trying to fix it for awhile.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

faslrn has provided us with fixed shotgun draw frames. Re-download v1.0 for a quick hotfix.
mrtaterz

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.1)

Post by mrtaterz »

Big update
  • faslrn has provided us with fixed shotgun draw frames.
  • Leaning has been added.
  • Recoil now affects Former Humans.
  • Former Humans have had an added chance of firing in bursts immediately upon seeing the player.
  • Further improvements to Hand Grenade physics.
  • Toned down the intensity of the Plasma Gun effects.
  • Jetpack Zombie health increased to 90 and speed increased from 6 to 17.
  • Slayer Knight from SpacemanStrife has been added as a replacement of the Spider Mastermind.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtaterz

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.2)

Post by mrtaterz »

Difficulty Rebalancing v1.2
  • New title pic and logo have been added.
  • Adrenaline inventory count reduced from 10 to 5.
  • First Aid Kit inventory count reduced from 5 to 3. First Aid Kit effectiveness increased.
  • Soulsphere has been replaced with a PDA that allows the player to save their progress. (You can still Quicksave. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about this, but for the people who don't like to savescum, this should be a way to increase the tension in the mod. Recommend disabling Autosaves in the Miscellaneous Options.)
  • Stimpacks have been removed and replaced with Loot Spawners; loot spawners will randomly spawn Adrenaline, Sentry Guns, Ammo, Grenades and Mines.
  • Adrenaline now heals over time.
  • Invulnerability Spheres have been replaced with Steroids that give you 75% damage absorption. Good for brute-forcing your way through a shotgun blast.
  • Invisibility Spheres sucked in general and have been replaced with a single mine you can carry in your inventory for when things get rough and you need to run away, or when there's too many enemies.
  • Fixed Burst fire on Rifle not doing enough damage.
  • Sentry Gun inventory count reduced from 3 to 1 due to loot spawner balance.
known issues:
  • grenades can double explode.
    movement tilting affects your movement speed and can stop you; best to disable it or set it to low
    grenades can occasionally get stuck on heads of enemies
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Alright, just tried out the latest version, and it is really coming along nicely! The gameplay feels really satisfying all around, and the new enemies are really fun to fight. Couple criticisms though, as usual:

-The jetpack zombie's death explosion is SUPER loud up close.

-The rifle's altfire could use a rate of fire buff. I understand what the rifle is for, but speeding the altfire up would make firing it feel less clunky, and give the gun more viability.

-I'm sure you expected this one, but the grenade still feels too floaty and a little ineffective, but I'm sure you're working on that one.

A couple suggestions:

-Give the rifle a laser sight, or the ability to aim down sights. That would make it a much better sniping/long range weapon.

-Maybe see if you can use the gloved fist sprites used in stuff like "Perk's smooth animations improved" for consistency. Not a biggy, but it would help the immersion.

-This could be just me, but the Satyr was a much more fun enemy to fight than the melee revenant. He was much more imposing in my opinion, but the melee revenant functions just fine as an enemy as well.

And that's all I got! All my criticisms aside, I really like what you're doing here, man. The guns feel awesome, and the enemies are pretty threatening (although the jetpack zombie feels a little...jarring, tone-wise IMO). Good luck, dude
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Dead Marine v1.2b
  • Smart Scavenger has been added for Ammunition.
  • Delay between firing on the Rifle has been reduced and damage reduced back to 3. This means the Former Human does less damage now too.
  • Burst fire on Rifle has had it's rate of fire slightly increased; spread increased to further incentivize close range use of Altfire and reduce spam usage.
  • Pistol spread increased from 1.3 to 1.5 but should still be a better close range option than the Rifle in most situations.
  • Hand Grenade has had it's base damage and nail damage increased.
  • Hand Grenade physics model updated.
  • Hand Grenade double explosion bug fixed.
  • First Aid Kit health gain increased.
  • First Aid Kit carry limit reduced to 1.
  • Spring Mine carry limit increased from 1 to 3.
  • Adrenaline health tic duration reduced from 5 to 4.
  • Fixed Inventory bug where level transitions would set all items in inventory to 1.
  • Former Human delay before firing decreased, overall frames reduced, and burst fire rate of fire increased.
  • Initial Imp Fireball damage increased.
  • Tilt+ removed.
  • Leaning Angle customization CVAR added in Dead Marine Options.
I noticed I wasn't using my First Aid Kits throughout my gameplay; in order to incentivize use of the First Aid Kit, I have reduced the effectiveness of Adrenaline and increased the effectiveness of the First Aid Kit while reducing the amount of First Aid Kits you can carry down to 1, which should hopefully force the player to decide whether or not they need an immediate and effective, but limited, First Aid Kit, or need to inject themselves with a slow healing Adrenaline Booster that they can carry multiples of. This may or may not be a permanent change based on player feedback and discussion.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtaterz

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.2c)

Post by mrtaterz »

Dead Marine v1.2c
  • Shotgun damage reduced from (5) to 4.
  • Shotgun spread increased from 8 to 9.
  • Super Shotgun damage reduced from (5) to 4.
The Shotgun meta is too strong in general on both ends. Whenever a buff or a nerf for any weapon happens, it is affected on both sides, so expect Shotgunners to be way less troublesome. This will decrease the difficulty ever so slightly but still keep the game challenging enough without becoming frustrating.

These last two patches have been about scaling difficulty. The difficulty gap of the Former Humans and Imps have been increased while the difficulty for the Shotgunners has decreased. Overall I feel this is a healthy change for the balance of the mod.
mrtaterz

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.2c)

Post by mrtaterz »

Dead Marine v1.3
  • Jekyll Grim Payne provided assets for Rocket Fuel, an ammotype replacement for Rockets.
  • Lore and information can be gathered on some weapons by pressing R while using them. Will be updated as time goes on.
  • The player should start with 50 Cells to charge their Flashlight. Press 0 to use it
  • The Former Pyro is a generous undead, and has bestowed upon us it's Rocket Grenade prototype cannon.
  • The Former Elite Human drops a Carbine. The Carbine is a heavy weapon and you must brace yourself after firing it, similar to the cooldown mechanics of the Plasma Gun. It fires two cartridges in one to deal double the damage of the Rifle. It makes a good general purpose weapon in proficient hands. It can fire in semi and make a mediocre replacement of the Rifle or be fired in full auto and make a decent substitute for the Chaingun at a distance. The respective weapons are still superior in their classes.
  • Former Commando has had it's weapon stats put in line with the player.
  • Fists have been replaced with a Combat Knife. It has a swing time, but surprising damage against Former Humans, and a decent range. You can still Quick Punch by right clicking with the Pistol.
  • The Chaingun has had it's spread increased from 4 to 6, and damage increased from 5 to 6.
  • Hand Grenade carry capacity increased to 25, Backpack capacity increased to 50; Carbine can shoot Hand Grenades.
  • Headbob should be fixed on all weapons.
  • Adrenaline healing has been lowered.
  • Stealth Factor has been increased from 32 to 64.
  • DarkDoomZ and Precise Crosshair have been implemented. As usual, find all related settings in Dead Marine Options.

Last edited by mrtaterz on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:39 am, edited 31 times in total.
LOLANONIMUS

Re: Dead Marine REDUX (V1.3) - FIRE EVERYWHERE

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

Hi, this mod does not load me in the Android gzdoom DELTA TOUCH
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

By the way. Quick saving still works, you might want to find a way to fix that.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

will183 wrote:By the way. Quick saving still works, you might want to find a way to fix that.
I am aware that Quicksaving still works, it is not something I can change.

also for the GZDoom Delta Touch issue, make sure you are using GZDoom Dev
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

COMMUNITY CONTRIBUTION!
  • special thanks to potetobloke for the new Carbine sprites!
LOLANONIMUS

Post by LOLANONIMUS »

also for the GZDoom Delta Touch issue, make sure you are using GZDoom Dev[/quote]

I always use it and well it didn't work

Return to “Gameplay Mods”