Dead Marine REDUX (V1.9.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: Dead Marine REDUX

Post by -Ghost- »

I like where you're going with this, but it feels really clunky right now in terms of shooting stuff. Headshots are cool, but it takes a lot of shots to drop the basic enemies while trying to dodge. I think it's a combo of enemies soaking a lot of damage and recoil/firing patterns making the guns kind of awkward that slows combat down in a clunky way.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hmm... Very interesting and nice redux mode of Gifty's Dead Marine. I found interesting that the Enemy Roaster is now related zombies and humanoids. And the new item Adrenaline is a lot helpful during the busy situations. I also like the mouselook bobbing feature as well.

And of course, i had some problem with the mod and i have to tell you about 'em. Don't get me wrong, i like the changes, but the flaw also exists.
Spoiler:
Sorry if i sound salty or rude here. This mod is the revamped and harder version of the original Dead Marine. But it's challenging, and frustrating at the same time because of said problems. But i still love this decent revamp with a lot of effort to it. Looking forward to the update!
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mrtaterz »

Thank you so much for giving me a long list of issues to work on. I appreciate your thorough testing of my Mod and am glad you've noticed it's shortcomings, as I am a new coder and a messy person who doesn't exactly know what he's doing! :?
I will be working on this as time goes on and will address these issues as I progress. I hope to have a decent update/bugfix in the near future.

The player is taller, the Rifle is awkward. Enemies are as accurate as you are, yes. Jetpacks firing at your direction instead of directly at you is intentional.
The Armorless Revenant should just punch you, yes, this is his intention. Most places he is placed in OG Doom 2 maps should allow him to jump off of ledges and after the player.
The HMP difficulty without a difficulty selection is because this mod is difficult enough on it's own and it's intended that you play this on OG Doom maps or a Boom-compatible map pack that is fair and balanced like the OG Doom maps. It is a brutal mod that requires you to aim for the head because enemies can take up to 10-12 shots to kill if you don't. They are Zombies, and you are required to shoot them in the head to be efficient. This is also a mod about positioning, so I decided to make the movement less slippery, since you are dealing with hitscanners often.

You have quite the list to go through, and I can and will address each of these as time goes on!
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

UPDATE!
  • Fixed the Plasma Zombie death animation
  • Pyro Zombie death frames fixed.
  • Former Elite Humans have had their proper A_BossDeath function added, fixing sequences where their death was necessary to progress in a map.
  • Improved the Rocket Launcher by adding in thrust for the explosion, and increasing the damage the explosion does. I also doubled the speed of the projectile. Your enemies will be knocked back when you fire near them, and you can deal out more carnage!
  • Added a pickup message for the Rifle.
  • Toned down the accuracy of the Rifle on the Former Human, as they were deemed too efficient at killing the player.
  • Cleaned up some dead code.
  • Fast Monsters have been improved. All basic Former Human types (Rifleguy, Shotgunguy, Chaingunguy) and the Guardian Imp have had their Fast Monsters speed changed. You will be Blitzed.
  • Guardian Imp and Flying Imp fireballs have had their speed decreased. The previous fireball speed is kept for Fast Monsters.
  • Former Humans will occasionally back away from the player when put into a pain state, before beginning to fire at the player. Use this window of opportunity to continue to lay down fire at them.
  • Josh771's Universal Enhanced AI integrated into Dead Marine Redux.
After some debate with community members on whether or not to further adjust the Rifle on the player, I have concluded that the Rifle is right where it needs to be as a weapon that is supposed to be good for long range, and situational at best for close range. The Pistol will always be a better option at close range than the Rifle, and if you are at that range, you should be using a Shotgun anyway. There is a delicate balance to this mod and I wish to keep it right where it is at the moment and make small adjustments as things go on rather than making large decisions like changing the time to kill on one of the most common weapons in the game.

Guardian Imps are in, by the way. The data for the Zombies has been cleared from the .pk3 to save memory on your hard drives.
Last edited by mrtaterz on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

small UPDATE
  • The Adult Imp is back and replaces the Zombie Flyer. There weren't enough Imps.
  • Chainsaw Zombie behavior improved.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

I am working on something... stay tuned
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

In my opinion, The pistol is straight up better then the rifle and even the chaingun! Pistol feels accurate enough to hit 90% of its shots at most ranges and the rifle feels way too situational and weak. Even at long ranges it feels out-classed by the pistol. The chaingun also feels quite weak with how enemys just sponge up its bullets, even the weaker low tier enemys. (which in vanilla doom the chaingun was supposed to clean up weak enemys) And the rifle burst fire is nigh useless in my subjective opinion. Pistol is more ammo efficient and seems to hit shots very reliably. Considering the rifle is also true semi auto (and is extremely hard to fire consistantly in that regard) The bullet weapons in my opinion are the weakest spot on this mod.

(Yes i know you said you wouldn't change the rifle but i feel like it should fit another role or be replaced with another weapon, and the chainguns damage increased to contend with the enemy bullet sponge)
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

will183 wrote:In my opinion, The pistol is straight up better then the rifle and even the chaingun! Pistol feels accurate enough to hit 90% of its shots at most ranges and the rifle feels way too situational and weak. Even at long ranges it feels out-classed by the pistol. The chaingun also feels quite weak with how enemys just sponge up its bullets, even the weaker low tier enemys. (which in vanilla doom the chaingun was supposed to clean up weak enemys) And the rifle burst fire is nigh useless in my subjective opinion. Pistol is more ammo efficient and seems to hit shots very reliably. Considering the rifle is also true semi auto (and is extremely hard to fire consistantly in that regard) The bullet weapons in my opinion are the weakest spot on this mod.

(Yes i know you said you wouldn't change the rifle but i feel like it should fit another role or be replaced with another weapon, and the chainguns damage increased to contend with the enemy bullet sponge)
In my experience from playing the OG Doom maps the Rifle was good for picking off enemies at a distance. The Chaingun less so. If you are using the Chaingun at a distance you are using it incorrectly as it has a decently wide spread and cannot be used to snipe with anymore. It will still melt enemies at the ranges it is supposed to be used in, which is at medium range against crowds of enemies.

The Pistol is also not too accurate. You will miss shots on occasion, especially at ranges where the Rifle would be more useful. The Pistol spread is tight but not perfectly accurate. You will waste ammo using the Pistol at a distance. If you land 3 headshots on a Former Human that is usually enough shots to take an enemy down with the Rifle.

In my experience you can also use the Rifle often in burst fire mode against enemies that sneak up on you and it will deal with them decently enough. The Rifle does more damage per second than the Pistol does in it's altfire.

What you want is a weapon that fits all situations no matter what and I try to avoid that by making the Rifle mediocre at damage but good enough with the altfire that if you get put into a situation where you can't change your weapons quick enough, the altfire should suffice until you fallback and switch to something better (like the Pistol!)

Yes, you are correct in that the Pistol is an efficient weapon but it isn't going to carry you through the entire game. It isn't perfectly accurate and it isn't going to help you deal with multiple enemies at one time. One missed shot with the Pistol could be a missed pain chance that leaves your face in the ground.

If enough people have this same complaint I will seriously consider raising the damage of the Rifle by at least a single point of damage (which would considerably change it's damage randomness values) and nerf the Pistol accuracy by a .1 or 2

P.S. You aren't fighting lower class Doom Former Humans anymore. These are spongy, mean, sacks of flesh that can take a beating. Standard Doom tactics of running in and circlestrafing is definitely not going to work against these guys.
will183

Post by will183 »

mrtaterz wrote:
will183 wrote:In my opinion, The pistol is straight up better then the rifle and even the chaingun! Pistol feels accurate enough to hit 90% of its shots at most ranges and the rifle feels way too situational and weak. Even at long ranges it feels out-classed by the pistol. The chaingun also feels quite weak with how enemys just sponge up its bullets, even the weaker low tier enemys. (which in vanilla doom the chaingun was supposed to clean up weak enemys) And the rifle burst fire is nigh useless in my subjective opinion. Pistol is more ammo efficient and seems to hit shots very reliably. Considering the rifle is also true semi auto (and is extremely hard to fire consistantly in that regard) The bullet weapons in my opinion are the weakest spot on this mod.

In my experience from playing the OG Doom maps the Rifle was good for picking off enemies at a distance. The Chaingun less so. If you are using the Chaingun at a distance you are using it incorrectly as it has a decently wide spread and cannot be used to snipe with anymore. It will still melt enemies at the ranges it is supposed to be used in, which is at medium range against crowds of enemies.

The Pistol is also not too accurate. You will miss shots on occasion, especially at ranges where the Rifle would be more useful. The Pistol spread is tight but not perfectly accurate. You will waste ammo using the Pistol at a distance. If you land 3 headshots on a Former Human that is usually enough shots to take an enemy down with the Rifle.

In my experience you can also use the Rifle often in burst fire mode against enemies that sneak up on you and it will deal with them decently enough. The Rifle does more damage per second than the Pistol does in it's a

What you want is a weapon that fits all situations no matter what and I try to avoid that by making the Rifle mediocre at damage but good enough with the altfire that if you get put into a situation where you can't change your weapons quick enough, the altfire should suffice until you fallback and switch to something better (like the Pistol!)

Yes, you are correct in that the Pistol is an efficient weapon but it isn't going to carry you through the entire game. It isn't perfectly accurate and it isn't going to help you deal with multiple enemies at one time. One missed shot with the Pistol could be a missed pain chance that leaves your face in the ground.

If enough people have this same complaint I will seriously consider raising the damage of the Rifle by at least a single point of damage (which would considerably change it's damage randomness values) and nerf the Pistol accuracy by a .1 or 2

P.S. You aren't fighting lower class Doom Former Humans anymore. These are spongy, mean, sacks of flesh that can take a beating. Standard Doom tactics of running in and circlestrafing is definitely not going to work against these guys.
One more thing i have an issue with about the rifle is that i feel like i miss more shots with it then i do the pistol (Sometimes i see the bullet decal lands directly behind them where the head should be but it goes straight through them doing absolutely nothing) The hit detection combined with the low damage, ridiculously inconsistant semi auto (Sometimes it shoots sometimes it does nothing) and the super inaccurate burst fire which seems to really just be a waste of precious time you could use headshotting them with the pistol, I never even considered using the rifle over the pistol so i had no reason to use the burst fire before i could switch to the pistol because i never had the rifle out in the first place. The hand grenades are also a bit too floaty, they don't seem to have much gravity to them (I did figure out that holding the grenade then throwing it was better but it still is very floaty.)
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Sounds like I need to rework the hitboxes and do more testing then. Let me get this fixed up for a few of the most basic enemies and then I'll rollout a patch.
will183

Post by will183 »

mrtaterz wrote:Sounds like I need to rework the hitboxes and do more testing then. Let me get this fixed up for a few of the most basic enemies and then I'll rollout a patch.
That or there is some sort of invincibility frame on some of the enemys.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

will183 wrote:
mrtaterz wrote:Sounds like I need to rework the hitboxes and do more testing then. Let me get this fixed up for a few of the most basic enemies and then I'll rollout a patch.
That or there is some sort of invincibility frame on some of the enemys.
The headshot hitbox is a seperate Actor attached to the head of another Actor that's based on the set Height in the files. More than likely the Height is set too low.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Hey! Thanks for taking interest in my old mod; I haven't worked on it in a while, so it's heartening to see it hasn't been totally forgotten and that people are still tinkering with it. Cheers!
Iniquitatis

Post by Iniquitatis »

Gifty wrote:Hey! Thanks for taking interest in my old mod; I haven't worked on it in a while, so it's heartening to see it hasn't been totally forgotten and that people are still tinkering with it. Cheers!
Sure it's not. I'm still playing it. =)
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

BIG UPDATE! WE ARE NOW V1.0!
I have begrudgingly listened to player feedback; it's hard sometimes being a developer and thinking you know what's best for the player and then having to come to terms with the fact that as a developer you may not always be right. Today is the day the Rifle gets it's freedom, and the Pistol grows it's wings.
  • The Headshot hitbox has been improved across the board for all Former Human monster types. They should all be unified at a set 52. Let me know if any of you encounter discrepancies or issues with the hitbox further.
  • Rifle damage increased from 3 to 4. This may not seem like much but I did some testing and it added up.
  • Pistol spread increased from 1.1 to 1.25 and damage increased from 5 to 6.
  • Because the damage of the Pistol and Rifle have been increased, the Pain Threshold of all Former Human variants has been increased from 11 to 13, and Pain State frames have been doubled.
  • New Shotgun animations courtesy of BROS_ETT_311, thanks for being awesome and contributing to our project!
  • Footsteps and Jumping physics added.
  • Hand Grenade physics model updated. It should have better gravity and bounce off of enemies.
  • Level Enhancement Suite added courtesy of the ever so lovely Sgt_Mark_IV
Last edited by mrtaterz on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”