Untitled's Touhou Doom Monsters

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Untitled's Touhou Doom Monsters

Post by ZikShadow »

DESCRIPTION:

This mod replaces most of Doom's enemies to those of Untitled's Touhou Doom, particularly the Gensokyoan ones. Others to come later. Maybe.

I really liked the original mod and was interested in trying out fighting the enemies in custom levels. It took me a while, but I managed to cobble up this clumsily made addon to do exactly that. I wasn't exactly going to release this as I thought Untitled was going to make a separate monster mod, and well, knowing my poor coding skills, I might as well wait until the spiffy neat release before pointing everyone down that direction. However, as I upload the video below, I acquired a message from Untitled informing me that the planned monster addon is actually only for the Danmaku Demons, ignoring the others for balance reasons. Along with that, a permission is also attached, allowing me to upload this silly version of mine. Well, here it is, I suppose!

I would like to have everyone here, but I haven't gotten around to adding them. Currently the only ones available are the Touhou specific enemies. I'll get around to adding the rest later, maybe add a CVAR to allow theming (once I learn how to do that, anyways) if you favor an enemy set. Once again, not a very good coder here, sorry for errors or lack of competent tweaks.

Some notes to pay attention to:
- Enemies here don't drop weapons. They do however occasionally drop ammo and player-use spellcards. Nevertheless, choose your maps and mods carefully! They don't call Touhou bullethell for nothing!
- As in Touhou Doom, some of the attacks in this mod works best in flat surfaces. Use it to your advantage or disadvantage (if you like to play fair)!
- This mod replaces various ground-level enemies with flying ones. Expect encounters to play out quite differently.
- I've had to modify some map specific spellcards to allow "in-the-field" use on the respective enemy actors, which means that they're no longer accurate to the source. Some spellcards (particularly survival ones) are straight up gone from the roster. Sorry for that.
- Health bars for some reason no longer registers on the HUD. I'm currently looking in to see what causes this, but for the moment use stuff like m8f's Target Spy or other such similar enemy health registering display addons if you really want to have indicators. Atleast timeouts still counts despite there being no timers on the screen.

DOWNLOAD:

Eternal curtain fire damnation awaits!

Old version, if you're interested in ancient history or something.

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

VIDEOS:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:
Spoiler:
Last edited by ZikShadow on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blux001

Re: Untitled's Touhou Doom Monsters

Post by Blux001 »

I would like to know if this pack of enemies if they are just enemies, do not have the typical mistakes of the mod called TouHou Earth Invasion, that I had to modify that mod so that the original weapons of the doom would appear as their power ups, but I would like to know actually if these enemies do not disappear by mistake of scripts ...
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Forgive me if I misinterpreted your question, but are you asking if this mod is just an enemies mod and nothing else? The bit about the enemies disappearing by scripting errors, I suspect you mean enemies not popping in where they should be (stuff like teleport ambushes?).

Well, aside from the usable spellcards being drops from certain bosses that you can use in your inventory (something that I kept as they were lifesavers even in mods like Doom Incarnate), this mod only replaces plain ol' Doom enemies. Weapons, items, and powerups are untouched.

I tried to go around the enemies not arriving in bit by removing +AMBUSH on all of the small fries, but I found removing them on bosses to be a mistake as they would immediately launch their initial spellcards at the sound of my weapons going off. This is a major problem if they have computer-lagging-initial-spellcards like Utsuho's, even worse if they're put with other bosses as they would infight, further lagging the map and dropping the frames to slideshow levels. I've tested this mod on mappacks like Sunder, Avactor, and various others with no problems, but I won't be surprised if the +AMBUSH on bosses might result in them not appearing when needed on some custom levels. Play with caution, I suppose.
Blux001

Post by Blux001 »

sorry, I saw that this mod pack of enemies is really great !, and I meant that when you were with a boss with a spell card sometimes that spell card or attack threw an error and the enemy already had an instant death since it did not appear, but I meant if it happened that similar to the other enemies TouHou mod called "TouHou Hell On Hearth", but I see that it really does not happen, great !, and that weapons and power ups I see that they are not touched, I really like this mod, I can finally play TouHou DOOM without any problem ..
good job!
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Creator of Touhou Doom here.

A few tweaks I think your mod could use:
-Reimu's Fantasy Seal -Blink- really needs its arena to function. Hence why I took it out. It's not a terrible issue, it was a Hard/Lunatic only card, just some casual stuff being commented out.
-Flandre had two calls to scripts that aren't used. I removed both.
-Certain attacks (like Silent Selene) forced a given direction of attack (South for Selene). This is taken out, because most maps aren't designed around the cards, so the facing breaks it in places (Gotcha's a great example of this).
-The spawner has extra bosses taken out of the cyberdemon slot. Masterminds are rarer, so they're kept there (and also there's usually more space for them there).
-Youmu's moved to the Archvile slot (from the cyber slot), because she's really a midboss, not a full boss. Ex-Youmu, on the other hand...
-The Drop Tables were, uh, not optimized for being used in a gameplay mod context. I added spell drops to basically all of the bosses. You'll need them.
-Longer bosses drop either a Soulsphere or a Megasphere (Final/Extra bosses) to make their fight more possible if you aren't super-well-up on HP, as they were originally balanced for having a Megasphere in most cases at the start of the fight, and cyberdemons sometimes...aren't.

I bundled this all into a patch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12yqwM ... sYcdRzAkyO
If you want to, you can integrate this into the main mod.

EDIT: Yeah, as expected, balance is kind of wack. Still, it's fun to mess around with.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

I still find the interest of Grown men in Shrine Maidens throwing fireballs and other stuff everywhere quite....weird....

Please don't take this the wrong way but stuff like this is gonna be counted in the same place as Pony Puff Princess.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Machine-Reaper wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way but stuff like this is gonna be counted in the same place as Pony Puff Princess.
Heh, no worries. Touhou in itself is pretty silly at times, magical girls shooting dozen thousands of bullets at once. Still though, despite the silly premise, these enemies are very much highly dangerous if underestimated. The Danmaku Demons/the rest of Pristine Hell's occupants'll probably fit better with Doom's aesthetics, once I stop procrastinating and actually do them anyways, or if Untitled got there first.
Untitled wrote: A few tweaks I think your mod could use, if you want to, you can integrate this into the main mod.
Woah, thanks! Some of these'll really help. My ideas of balance weren't exactly well thought out.
-Youmu's moved to the Archvile slot (from the cyber slot), because she's really a midboss, not a full boss.
I contemplated putting Youmu in the AV slot as well at first, yet hesitated and decided to put her in the cybie/spidey slot instead for one reason:
Her fast charging melee attacks are brutal in close quarters, most midbosses atleast gave you some room to maneuver around, even Youmu's other counterpart boss Yuyuko is evadable most times, but Youmu tends to charge at you straight no holds barred.
Doesn't help that most archie spawns in various custom maps tend to give you medium/small areas to fight archies in, it gets messy fast (well, relatively with all the other imbalanced stuff).
In any case, I've updated the main file with the patch you made. Everything should go a notch smoother with the new drops.
Enarkz

Post by Enarkz »

Nice monster replacements, i like the way they faint exactly like in their games :D
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

ZikShadow wrote:
Heh, no worries. Touhou in itself is pretty silly at times, magical girls shooting dozen thousands of bullets at once. Still though, despite the silly premise, these enemies are very much highly dangerous if underestimated. The Danmaku Demons/the rest of Pristine Hell's occupants'll probably fit better with Doom's aesthetics, once I stop procrastinating and actually do them anyways, or if Untitled got there first.
wow! that sounds like pretty crazy stuff!

and I understand now as well, but I would love to see Shrine Demons instead of Shrine Maidens cause ya know, turning pretty little girls to chunky salsas with a BFG doesn't seem that Heroic...or moral, haha

I really wish someone would make Shrine Demons based on Touhou Bullet Hell mechanics and put them inside Doom.

think of stuff like Shrine Imps, Shrine Cacodemons, haha
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Well, it seems I indeed have been outrun. Untitled has done the illustrious job of porting over the other half of the danmaku foes, the demon variants.
Here's to ya'll non-Touhou fans who still want to have them BULLETHELL without the magical girls.

Eternal curtain fire damnation awaits!

EDIT:

In other notes, I think I figured out why healthbars won't show up. A lack of CVARINFO. Redownload the pack to acquire my fix to the problem.
Now, to find a way to fix that timeout initializing problem.

EDIT2:

On second thought, don't. Found out why the second thing was happening, the same problem of which also apparently breaks the healthbar.
This might take a while.

EDIT3:

Done. Bosses will start pulling their initial spellcards ONLY when they have spotted you. Also added more +AMBUSH to some bosses that act poorly upon gunfire at map starts. No random timeouts at the start of maps, hopefully. Same link as the above. Same caution incase bosses don't show up in custom maps from their +AMBUSH actor flags.
Also, restored TD healthbars. I personally don't really like them, preferring to disabling them and instead use something like Target Spy. The thing with gameplay mods is, there's tendencies of you fighting multiple bosses, and Touhou Doom's healthbar is poorly suited for such situations as it only tracks one boss at a time (that saw you first) instead of being able to see the HP of anyone you point at (if you're lucky and the bar doesn't spaz out from the amount of things its supposed to track), but its there if anyone wants it.
Blux001

Post by Blux001 »

Uff, the great freeze kills Sakuya Izayoi games, where she freezes the game of everything no matter that GZD will stop serving in every aspect .. Until now that I know it can only be played in Normal mode since Sakuya has a big problem that if is in another custom difficulty of another mod, etc. She freezes the GZD without you being able to do anything but kill the program.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Wait, what? I thought I already got rid of her problems. Ah, man.
Sakuya for some reason really likes hanging up GZD, I could never find out why, but I managed to isolate the base essentials down to her infighting.
I figured by adding +NOINFIGHTING, I'd sidestep over the issue entirely and wouldn't have to worry about her anymore. It seems to work last I ran Sunder, which had plenty of Sakuyas to go around.
What mod are you using, by the way?

EDIT:
Found a possible fix. Not only does Sakuya infights correctly like the others, she also won't ZA WARUDO GZD forever now.
Now, to fix that HP bar. I'm thinking of just torching it altogether, but I'll try to find a fix if one's there.
Grumpy Tengu

Post by Grumpy Tengu »

Mhh more Touhou i love itX) as much as i like this though, running out of ammo is a serious problem here. I did a small test run on map 32 of vanilla doom 2 and had to face patchouli and theres no way you would have enough ammo to be able to beat her. Only way to win would be to just wait out her spellcards but thats not really the point is it? Are you planning on balancing this a bit out or leave it as it is right now? I mean from what ive gathered here you did it for the fun of it which is fine too, im just curious^^
Blux001

Post by Blux001 »

ZikShadow wrote: What mod are you using, by the way?
BDv21 Gold, D4D, D4T, Trailblazer, Doom Incarnate, ROv2.5, IBv 4.0/3.8, and more mods..

Sakuya has the problem only in the sense of using difficulty other than normal, being in Normal difficulty, the problem seems to cease to exist. At least as a friend I know, he says that in normal difficulty he still kills GZD. But I doubt that it is the normal difficulty, since only this way I avoid that when I start attacking I kill my game.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Grumpy Tengu wrote:Are you planning on balancing this a bit out or leave it as it is right now?
'Fraid so. It's kinda nigh impossible to balance this kind of gameplay mod, especially as there are a lot of bosses and enemies, each with their own set of spellcards and attacks (Rumia has about 2 spellcards while ExReimu has the whole +10 "you are already dead" package). Turning all of them down so you could beat them with the same amount of ammo as a cyberdemon/mastermind would would throw the power balance way off. Some bosses are best evaded rather than fought, especially in maps where the devs throw bosses at you like candies. I left behind usable inventory spellcards to help, but it does require you to beat previous midbosses/bosses to acquire. Timing off a boss is alright, especially if you're being a good sport and doing that while being in their line of fire.
Blux001 wrote:Sakuya has problem.
Try the new update I just released, I hope Sakuya's less broken in that one.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”