VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED September 1, 2022

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Plynthus

VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED September 1, 2022

Post by Plynthus »

Vanilla Doom Plus -monster randomizer

Download here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vw1erw52 ... r.pk3/file

MAKE SURE TO NOT LOAD VDP-NeutralMonster.pk3 ANYMORE
If you have downloaded the August 26th version of the main mod file. It's an in-game setting now and the VDP-NeutralMonster.pk3 is outdated.

Unfinished bonus. Adds "Spawn Any Monster" menu:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/m0rcr51n ... 9.wad/file
Load this with the main mod. Load order shouldn’t matter here. I'll add this to the main mod file once it's completed and tested properly.
More details:
Spoiler:

UPDATE INFO AUGUST/SEPTEMBER 2022:
Spoiler:
PREVIOUS UPDATES:
Spoiler:

COMPATIBILITY:
Spoiler:
This monster randomizer currently has almost 300 added monsters.

Every monster has a specific set of monsters that can replace them.
And monsters that belong to same group mostly shouldn't infight each other. Unless the original monster already does that, like Lost Souls and Zombies for example.
By default settings this is still a very "subtle" randomizer.
The original monsters appear more often. To keep better balance. And also to keep surprising players with custom monsters they haven't seen yet, even after days of playing.
But there is "Replacer Settings" menu where you can customize the spawn chances to your liking. How often each original monster is replaced by custom one etc.

Some decoration objects also will rarely be replaced by stationary monsters and mimics.
And some Power-Ups will rarely be replaced by custom ones.
These can be turned off in the "Replacer Settings" menu.

The goal of this mod was to make a monster randomizer that only adds monsters(I did later add the few optional custom power ups). The kind of randomizer I would like to play.
The "Vanilla Doom Plus" was supposed to be a temporary name. As it can be a little misleading.
I wanted more monsters + vanilla gameplay. That's why I called it that. But it's not like other people need to play that way. You can play any way you like.
However I've tried to balance everything to vanilla gameplay(by default settings).
Now I mainly call this VDP-MonsterRandomizer. Which also might change at some point.

Originally I had no plans to make a mod myself. I was just trying to look for a mod like this, and I couldn't find one.
So I started editing "DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer". And I really liked what it started to shape into.
Then I decided to start from scratch. So that I can also share this with everyone, in case anyone else was interested in this kind of randomizer.

A lot of changes have been made to most of the custom monsters to make them fit better.
I want monsters to be about as dangerous as the original monster they're replacing. Some deal more damage, but have less health etc.
Some noticeably stronger/weaker ones are usually more rare.

If you're playing Doom 1 and want even more monster variety. There's a menu called "Monster Mixer" in the "Replacer Settings" menu.
You can mix some Doom II monster replacers with slight alterations into Doom 1 for specific monsters. It will make things harder as well.

This mod works on GZDOOM:
with DOOM, ULTIMATE DOOM, DOOM 2 and FINAL DOOM.
And should at least work with any mod that only adds maps.

VIDEOS(monstly using much earlier versions of this mod):
Spoiler:

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:
I've had a lot of fun making this.
Thanks to every cool monster made by various different people!
I hope you'll also have fun playing with this!

THE REAL CREDIT GOES TO:
-ID Software
-Raven Software
-Everyone who have worked on any of these monsters(monster info and credits are in the .pk3 file itself)
-Realm667
-DoomKrakken and DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer(I used it a lot to see how these things are done in the beginning)
-And huge thanks to Doomworld users: Tango, Bryan T and whatup876/Someone64(who also made this compatible with Corruption Cards mod)! For helping me to fix couple issues with the mod. And great suggestions.
Last edited by Plynthus on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 am, edited 140 times in total.
Spaceman333

Re: Vanilla Doom Plus(monster randomizer)

Post by Spaceman333 »

A new 180+ Monster Randomizer? YES PLEASE!

*furiously downloads the super chaos version*

Thank you for sharing this, I really appreciate monster randomizer mods that can be used with any weapon / item / player mods alongside it. 8-)
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Thank you Spaceman333!

I haven't tested any weapon / item / player mods myself. So I can't promise they work 100% with this.
Somebody told me that berserk appeared as normal berserk, even though it was supposed to be something different in the mod he was using this with.

The main version is the only one I've done a lot of balancing for. But for some the custom monsters might not appear often enough. So that's why I made those.
In future I hope to have menu options for that stuff. So everything will be in a single mod.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Wow, this is actually really well done! I'm really into the "subtle" aspect of spawning the special monsters less, too. I feel like constantly spawning all the crazy monster randomizer not only fucks with the balance too much but also makes you get tired of the special monsters faster. Sprinkling the special ones among mostly vanilla spawns keeps them fresher, longer.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Someone64

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to accomplish with this mod. Some of the more rare monsters do have little bit higher chance to be replaced by custom monsters. For example Pain Elemental has 50/50 chance.
Plynthus

Re: Vanilla Doom Plus(monster randomizer) - UPDATED JULY 5TH

Post by Plynthus »

UPDATED JULY 5TH:
REPLACER SETTINGS now has A LOT of different spawn chance options!

A missing options is included as an extra .pk3 file. This one comes with a problem:
Spoiler:
Turin Turambar
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: VPD-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED JULY 5TH(spawn options add

Post by Turin Turambar »

Great job, I'm also interested in monster randomizers and this one seems to cover both customization and good monster variety.
TimeGearCD

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED JULY 5TH(spawn options add

Post by TimeGearCD »

This is a very good monster randomizer.
Had a lot of fun with this one.
Plynthus

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED JULY 7TH(spawn options add

Post by Plynthus »

Thank you Turin Turambar, I hope you'll enjoy this!
And thank you TimeGearCD, I am very glad you had fun! I've had a lot of fun making this so far.

Also another update! JULY 7TH!
-Basically the same things, but done better. And I added an option to turn ON/OFF Demon/Spectre/Lost Soul replacers with long range attacks.
(check the original post)
Spoiler:
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Unfortunately, I simply can't get this to work at all. It shows 'Unknown' in all of the replacers when you look at its options menu, and nothing gets replaced in game.

I was using the MissingOptions version, as neither the purely Doom 1 or Doom 2 wad seemed really ideal for me (I use a WadSmoosh including them Ultimate + 2 + Final + Sigil + Masterlevels etc.) along with my usual autoload.

I don't have any problems with other monster replacers (Shades of Doom, Colourful Hell etc.)
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

https://www.mediafire.com/file/khkaptqr ... P.pk3/file
Here's the last version before the config menu was added. As I don't wish to customize the spawns I've stuck with this version. Try this and see if it works for ya, it works fine for me.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

eharper256

When you load any of these three pk3 files: Doom1, Doom2 or MissinOptions.
They should autoload VDP-Stuff.pk3, if the files are all in the same location.

I think in your case it's not doing that for some reason.
If you also load VDP-Stuff.pk3 manually, I believe it should work.

Sorry for this.
Having all these separate files is hopefully only a temporary solution.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

Plynthus wrote: If you also load VDP-Stuff.pk3 manually, I believe it should work.
Actually, when I load VDP-Stuff manually along the main file, I get an error telling me that something is doubled (can't remember the details right now) and refusing to load the game. So I have to load only one of the main files, and the rest is loaded from VDP-Stuff.pk3 as it should. I'm mentioning this in hope it could somehow be helpful in your future works.

Thanks for the mod btw, very good stuff!
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Thank you Yebudoom!

Very glad to hear you like the mod.

You're loading it correctly by only loading Doom1, Doom2 or MissingOptions.
But I think in eharper256's case the VDP-Stuff.pk3 isn't loading at all for some reason.
So I thought I'd suggest to try that.

But yeah, loading any of these files: Doom1, Doom2 or MissingOptions, should autoload VDP-Stuff.pk3

Also Rowsol:
Default settings are basically how it was before I added the settings menu.
I haven't added anything bigger since. But I will be adding more monsters soon.
I would recommend later versions, because I also fix things occasionally.

Maybe the version I posted below would be good option for you:
Last edited by Plynthus on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

(not revelant anymore.)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Plynthus on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”