ZMovement 3.2.1: Final update (unless serious bugs)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: ZMovement 2.3.1 (Build Movement optimization)

Postby Ivory Duke » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:10 am

In Quake 1 there is an effect where any dropoff or hole will cause player friction to increase when their collision hull passes over it to prevent the player from falling off ledges when letting go of the movement keys, any plans to emulate this?

I have just finished adding a dropoff prevention.
If walking, FallPrevention() checks the direction player is moving.
If in that direction at a distance of the Player's Radius the height difference with the current FloorZ is higher than the player's Height, Velocity is forcefully set to 0.
It will be in the next update.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby Spaceman333 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:57 am

I just realized my comment on the first page came off as a vote against vertical flipping, when I was being super excited and couldn't believe my eyes that this was even possible to achieve for doom. Its a super cool feature and thank you for adding it!
Spaceman333

Postby Ivory Duke » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:16 am

Spaceman333 wrote:I just realized my comment on the first page came off as a vote against vertical flipping, when I was being super excited and couldn't believe my eyes that this was even possible to achieve for doom. Its a super cool feature and thank you for adding it!

Oh I never thought it was a comment against it.
I had to remove it cause the code size had increased dramatically over the months and it was too much of a pain to worry about everything else and that.
If you do not have the code saved on your computer anymore and would like to have it I can DM you a older version from the archive.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby Ivory Duke » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am

Preview of one of the new 2.4 features, out soon.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby RevanGarcia » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:06 pm

This may sound stupid but, how do you perform a walljump?
RevanGarcia

Postby Ivory Duke » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:09 am

RevanGarcia wrote:This may sound stupid but, how do you perform a walljump?

First of all you need to make sure Wall Jumping is turned on in the menu options.
Then these conditions need to be satisfied to activate a walljump:
- player needs to be closer than 16 units to a wall;
- your intended wall jump direction needs to point away from the wall you are jumping on;
- there needs to be no obstacles within 32units of your intended wall jump direction.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 2.4 (Ledge Grabbing & Accurate PK Movement)

Postby Ivory Duke » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:29 am

2.4 ledge grabbing and a bunch of other stuff
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby thedeathrunner123 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:24 pm

the link for the guide goes to an older version 1.3.1 but the .txt file reads 3.8. Either way, it doesn't go to a guide of any sort.
thedeathrunner123
Slowly seeping into the never ending depths of despair and insanity.

Discord: Runner#1366
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Ivory Duke » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Fixed
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby StroggVorbis » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:22 pm

The ledge grabbing reminds me of Doom 2016, Action Half-Life/Sven Coop and Turok 2 EX all in one, great job!
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZMovement 2.4.1 (Ledge Grabbing adjustements and others)

Postby Ivory Duke » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:15 pm

2.4.1, bunch of improvements on 2.4
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby Ivory Duke » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:32 am

New feature being worked on for the next version
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby skdursh » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Ivory Duke wrote:New feature being worked on for the next version

Looking good so far, I am wondering though if you intend to allow people to use the grappling hook in a way to increase acceleration as well, like shoot the grappling hook at a point and while in transit let go of it early to project the player to a further point, similar to how Spiderman might swing through a cityscape. It would also be interesting if you were able to have a measure of control over the grappling hook as well in terms of being able to stop it from pulling you in at a certain point, but still being able to hang from the grappling hook to shoot down on enemies from above or to attach it to the ceiling and use it as a swing. Anyways, I'm a big fan of this mod and have actually been working on a mapset that heavily utilizes the movement mechanics of your mod to quickly traverse the environments. Like a speedrun obstacle course with a time attack system that I hope to release sometime early in 2019.
skdursh

Postby WallyTheBoogieBug » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Ivory Duke wrote:
In Quake 1 there is an effect where any dropoff or hole will cause player friction to increase when their collision hull passes over it to prevent the player from falling off ledges when letting go of the movement keys, any plans to emulate this?

I have just finished adding a dropoff prevention.
If walking, FallPrevention() checks the direction player is moving.
If in that direction at a distance of the Player's Radius the height difference with the current FloorZ is higher than the player's Height, Velocity is forcefully set to 0.
It will be in the next update.

Thank you for this. Having tried it out, I will say that Quake 1's dropoff prevention was slightly different, it didn't lower the velocity immediately, it was smoother. Given that you're not dedicated to being 1:1, it's perfectly serviceable, however.

Some additional suggestions:

If you're interested in tackling more Quake-specific movement, Quake had some simple physics in regards to the way the player movement is handled that results in some movement tech in Quake, Half-Life, and Source that may be worth looking into. One example of this is that in Quake and Half-Life, the angle of a slope will actually push players impacting it horizontally in the direction of the impact's incidence, preserving momentum. A good description of this and other effects is over on the Fortress Forever wiki, that mod having some fairly accurate recreations of Quake and Half-Life movement tech. For example, those aforementioned slope pops are called trimps. Some aquatic movement tech similar to bunnyhopping is described in the article for sharking, and both have links to videos showcasing their effects. These movement techs could probably be emulated, I imagine.

One other thing that may be more generally useful to all styles is emulating sliding down a wider variety of slopes, if possible. In regards to Quake, Quake 1 actually had the player slide very slowly down even the shallowest of slopes, I wanna say as little as 20 degrees, but the later games were more lenient with keeping the player still on shallow slopes. I don't think it's really important to emulate Quake 1's behavior on this, though. Quake 1 was kind of silly in this regard.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Postby Ivory Duke » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Quake slowed down player smoother
Go to line 938
Code: Select allExpand view
Replace
if(FallDanger) { Vel.XY = (0, 0); }
With
if(FallDanger) { Vel.XY *= SOME_NUMBER_BETWEEN_0_ AND_1; }

Sliding on slopes and trimping
Doable, already been thinking on how to do it. more about the sliding than the trimping.

Sharking
Doable but I have no interest in putting in any amount of work.

Hook behavior
I am shaping hook around QC's Athena since that is the only FPS game on my PC that has a grappling hook I can try.
It does grant a speed boost, at a successfull grapple a Vector of intesity equal two times the maximum ground speed is applied onto player's velocity.
The resulting speed is then applied in the direction of the vector connecting the player's waist to the hook.
Features to be added:
- pendulum physics that can be activated on demand;
- hook to moving targets.
Last edited by Ivory Duke on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods