ZMovement 3.2.1: Final update (unless serious bugs)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: ZMovement 2.0.1 (Quake Style Movement + HOTFIX)

Postby Ivory Duke » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 am

HOTFIX! Ashamed I did not realize using ZMovement on a GZDoom version where an earlier ZMove version had not been loaded could cause players not to move
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 2.0 (Quake Style Movement)

Postby faslrn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 am

Ivory Duke wrote:2.0 out, go out and quak

#1 auto-load now. You have no idea how happy this makes me.
faslrn
Dangerously cheesy

Discord: hollow#0721
Twitch ID: faslrn

Re: ZMovement 2.0.2 (Quake Style Movement + HOTFIXES)

Postby Ivory Duke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am

Quick fix on PK air movement
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 2.1 (Better, Meaner, and Airdasher)

Postby Ivory Duke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:49 pm

2.1, quak and dash but better
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby Beetow Brode » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 pm

Half-Life movement maybe?
Beetow Brode

Discord: Punkin#8267
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Ivory Duke » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 am

Half life movement is the same thing as Quake's with different acceleration values.
Source engine is a modified version of the Quake one.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 2.2 (UT style friction, totally reworked bobbi

Postby Ivory Duke » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:55 pm

ZMovement 2.2, with bobbing logic whose code is not a total mess and UT ground friction.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 2.3 (Faithful Ground and Air Build movement)

Postby Ivory Duke » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:38 pm

2.3, Duke it out both on the ground and in the air
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 2.3.1 (Build Movement optimization)

Postby Ivory Duke » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am

2.3.1 Small optimization update
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby skdursh » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:43 am

Have you played Titanfall 2 by any chance? The movement in that game is extremely fun, especially once you get good at it. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement into your current roster, but I think that it might be worth checking out if you are still looking to expand on movement options. Plus it has sick grappling-hook action.
skdursh

Postby Ivory Duke » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 am

I have never owned any Titanfall game and I am not going to buy them, but I suspect a movement in that style can be easily done using UT as a base and doing some tweaking of the parameters.
Plus it has sick grappling-hook action.

I have started to think about implementing a grappling hook for the final release but have not taken any steps into making a reality yet, and cannot promise wherever it will be part of it.
Regardless, thank you for your interest in my project.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby faslrn » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Ivory Duke wrote:I have never owned any Titanfall game and I am not going to buy them, but I suspect a movement in that style can be easily done using UT as a base and doing some tweaking of the parameters.
Plus it has sick grappling-hook action.

I have started to think about implementing a grappling hook for the final release but have not taken any steps into making a reality yet, and cannot promise wherever it will be part of it.
Regardless, thank you for your interest in my project.

TItanfall has a movement mechanic around slide hopping where you crouch before you hit the ground and jump right away - this maintains your momentum and can even propel you. Not sure if that is something you want to implement if you plan on taking on that movement system. It is akin to Quake 3's strafe jumping or Painkillers bunny hopping.
faslrn
Dangerously cheesy

Discord: hollow#0721
Twitch ID: faslrn

Postby mrtaterz » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:46 pm

mrtaterz
aka GooseJelly

Discord: GooseJelly#8476
Twitch ID: thebigchez420
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby WallyTheBoogieBug » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:25 am

In Quake 1 there is an effect where any dropoff or hole will cause player friction to increase when their collision hull passes over it to prevent the player from falling off ledges when letting go of the movement keys, any plans to emulate this?

Should be noted that this effect was imperfect and that "grill" style floor geometry would cause the friction increase to occur even if the player had no chance of falling through the cracks in the floor geometry due to their small size, so this imperfect behavior may be desirable for accuracy.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Postby Ivory Duke » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:19 am

I have included a BuildPlayer.txt files in the main pk3, if the originals author want to use it for their mod they are free to do so.
Personally, I am done making more patches, cause every time I make an update I already have to also update and check 6 other packages.
If you'd like to make one you can find the guide near the bottom of the post.

In Quake 1 there is an effect where any dropoff or hole will cause player friction to increase when their collision hull passes over it to prevent the player from falling off ledges when letting go of the movement keys, any plans to emulate this?

I knew this thing was in Serious Sam cause I have been playing that game recently. I did not know it was in Quake 1 cause that game is too RGB for my tastes (Red Grey B R O W N, credits to cnsxs for the joke) so I never spent significant amounts of time on it.
Yes that can be implemented and quite efficently as well: I can use the GetZAt() function to check for the floor height near the perimeter of the hitbox. Although I would make it work like in Serious Sam where it only happens if player is walking.
That said it might be a bit of a pain to implement it for all movement modes (insert meme of the guy wiping the sweat from his face with a towel).
I'll think about it.

TItanfall has a movement mechanic around slide hopping where you crouch before you hit the ground and jump right away - this maintains your momentum and can even propel you. Not sure if that is something you want to implement if you plan on taking on that movement system. It is akin to Quake 3's strafe jumping or Painkillers bunny hopping.

My principle is to only port mechanics I have first hand experience of. While I might change my mind my answer to that suggestion as of right now is "99.9% not gonna happen".
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods