ZMovement 3.2.1: Final update (unless serious bugs)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: ZMovement 1.3 (Build Engine Style Movement)

Postby StroggVorbis » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 pm

Wow, I was about to ask if/when you're gonna add Build movement.
Can you read minds? :P

Edit: Sorry if this has already been asked, but why is there no option for Doom acceleration?
For when you temporarily want to disable the mod.
Unless I missed something.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZMovement 1.3 (Build Engine Style Movement)

Postby Ivory Duke » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:17 am

DabbingSquidward wrote:Edit: Sorry if this has already been asked, but why is there no option for Doom acceleration?
For when you temporarily want to disable the mod.
Unless I missed something.

If you choose Doom style friction and set the slider value to 0.0 you get the original Doom friction.
The only thing missing from the real Doom movement is the in air behavior.
I did not include it as an option cause personally I really do not like the original Doom movement and all of its slideness but I can see how some people would want it as an available option.
I will think about it reincluding it for the next update.
In the meantime use UT movement for the closest approximation.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 1.3.1 (Tweaks, Ion Fury style hopping weapon b

Postby Ivory Duke » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm

1.3.1 out
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby Kinsie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:50 pm

This is great, although I wish there was a version that was designed for modders to plug into their mods to give their player class specific movement types as opposed to being users-choice.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Ivory Duke » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:37 pm

Kinsie wrote:This is great, although I wish there was a version that was designed for modders to plug into their mods to give their player class specific movement types as opposed to being users-choice.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will work on including a txt file with one Player for each movement type for people who want to plug it into their mod.
In the meantime if you are trying to extrapolate a specific movement mode and are having difficulties feel free to ask me.
Tbh it should not be too difficult, each movement types shares the Ground movement ( PlayerGroundMove(), if you want a specific friction type you will need to edit code a bit ) and has separate virtuals for the hopping/air movement (ex. DuskAirMove(), PainkillerAirMove() etc etc). These are chosen in HandleMovement() depending on CVar zm_movetype.
Build Movement and Painkiller have their own Jump virtuals (BuildJump() and PankillerJump() ) but the others use an edited version of the regular CheckJump(). Dashing, cruchslidings and all other accessory maneuvers are universal for all movement modes.
Since you will want to use specific value instead of user customizable ones you will also need to replace all GetCVar and server variables with your desired values.

Of course I do understand some people may be looking for a instant use version of each movement, so I will work on it as it will not require much time on my end.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby dawnbreez » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:58 pm

I think you *should* be able to make some of these features universal. You don't need to be "inside" the player class to move it around--you just need a reference to it, and then you can call the appropriate functions. While I haven't exactly done an *in-depth* read through the mod, it looks like the dash, crouchslide, double/walljump, and wallrun are just moving the player around rather than fundamentally altering their physics behavior.

Now, you will need to find the player object, which should be easy. What I would do, probably, is create an event handler with a WorldThingSpawned callback:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Events_and_handlers
And within that WorldThingSpawned callback, I would then check if the Thing which was spawned is a player, and that it actually has a player attached to it (to avoid sticking the script onto a voodoo doll). Finally, the actual code that handles the movement would be placed into the Tick() function of an inventory item, and made to reference the item's owner instead of its own player-object. This inventory item would then be given to any player who spawns via the event handler I mentioned earlier. Thus, any player class will be given the item with the movement code, which should make it possible to make the double-jumps, slides, wallruns, and so forth universal. I don't think you can make the adjusted physics universal, unfortunately; replacing an actor's Think code entirely is kind of hard to do from outside the actor.
dawnbreez

Postby Ivory Duke » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:20 am

Thank you for your input!
I will look more in depth into your observations sometimes soon but they are much appreciated.
I am aware some features can be made universal and I have been meaning to perhaps group them in a separate mod after I release ZMovement's final version, which will happen sometimes in the next two months depending on how much free time I have.
I have tried many things to make the entire code universal but no matter how much I try to find a solution I cannot escape the fact that many of my virtuals need to override the PlayerPawn's native ones, so I can't just inject them into the PlayerPawn and call it a day.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 1.3.2 (Separated movement modes for modders)

Postby Ivory Duke » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:38 am

1.3.2 out
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby Bread Knight » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:51 pm

no one man should be allowed to have this. too good
Bread Knight
i have no idea what im doing...but people seem to like it

Postby ToxicMasculinity » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:49 am

Thanks for the update man. I love having these options in-game, and I've been enjoying this mod since you released it. I'm not a modder or a coder at all, but from extensive use of the mod, here's some feedback/suggestions/requests:

- My favorite features are the movement abilities such as: crouch slide (favorite), dash, wall jump, & auto jump. Wall Slide and Elevator Jump are awesome too, but I mainly use those on DM or Slaughter maps myself.

- The movement/friction settings are obviously great as well, but if possible, could you please allow us to adjust the player run/walk/crouch speed more drastically? Mainly on the slower side. This mod does a good job at speeding the player up, but not so much at slowing them down. If the run speed is set on the lowest setting (10.0), the player moves at standard Doom speed, but it would be extremely nice, if you could lower it to however slow you needed. I only say that because some mods require a slower movement (Hideous Destructor..off the top of my head), and it sucks having to disable this mod so I can play another one properly, even though they are compatible.

- Please add an option to completely disable the weapon sway, and just have normal Doom weapon behavior. Maybe I'm dumb, but even if I turn off the weapon sway option, my weapons still sway. I like the feature, but don't always want to use it when I use this mod. Plus, I've noticed that it overwrites the weapons of some mods (High Noon Drifter for example) which is strange, and would be nice to be able to disable completely if need be.

- If possible, please add a set custom weapon bob setting, that automatically sets the weapon bob speeds and ranges to behave just like they do in Brutal Doom. I can't get it look right for some reason. I can get them to look good when I run/walk, but if I shoot my weapon while moving, the weapon sprites tweak out and are extremely jittery. Hopefully you can figure it out if you feel up to it. Brutal Doom weapon bob fits this mod perfectly though imo.

- Add option to completely disable all movement/friction settings, but keep movement abilities such as dash, wall slide, etc. And/or add option to enable/disable mod entirely in-game, if possible. This is more of a lazy request, but that way you could quickly check how a map is intended to be played, and make sure that you have the mod setup correctly to play it that way without having to open and close the sourceport numerous times. Plus that way you could also just play with only the movement abilities and not the friction/speed settings if you wanted to. For the semi-purist.

- You said you may do this after the Final release, but release each feature/mod of this mod as stand alone separate mods. For compatibility purposes. At bare minimum, at least the crouch slide. It's hard to play without that feature now. It's amazing.

Like I said, none of that was from a technical standpoint, just gameplay experience. Good luck on finishing the project, and thanks again for sharing it with us.
ToxicMasculinity

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby ToxicMasculinity » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:03 am

Forgot to ask this in my first post, but would it possible to make it so that you could go into a crouch slide while jumping? I'm not sure how it works, but have it so that if you are jumping and push the crouch slide key, your character will automatically get pulled to the ground and execute the slide.
ToxicMasculinity

Postby Ivory Duke » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 am

1 - I am glad you are enjoying;
2 - I can consider implementing lower movement caps;
3 - I just tested the weapon sway, when I turn off the option the weapons were not swaying anymore. Dusk bobbing has a horizontal sway while hopping because that is how it was in Dusk. Vertical offset cannot be turned off cause allowing the default behavior means I have to write an entire code subsection bloating everything. Please define overwrites weapons of some mods (High Noon Drifter has a peculiar thing in the weapon code where guns do not stop bobbing when firing, which I will not alter cause I actually enjoy seeing the weapons sway and bob even if I fire);
4 - I just tested shooting behavior and I see no jittering. Bobbing looks very very (VERY) slightly jittery when walking and crouching for a thing I am solving for next update. I will not add Brutal Doom bobbing cause I have no interest in the mod. Please understand I cannot add everything from everywhere;
5 - Possible, might not do it cause I do not like the Doom movement at all, but it is not an option I am ruling out since you are the second person to ask it;
6 - That will be done in due time;
7 - That raises issues with the way some movement modes work and I am somewhat contrary to the concept of gravity magically increasing when you try to start a crouch slide in the air.
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Postby ToxicMasculinity » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:44 pm

- Definitely enjoying it for sure.
- Sounds good about possibly implementing lower movement caps.
- You're right that the weapon sway does disable like it should when you turn the option off. I recently downloaded some new map packs with vanilla weapons only that I tested with this mod, and whichever map pack I was using when I was writing my feedback for your mod must have had weapon sway in it as well, and I just assumed that it was your mod not disabling it like it should. It does though, and I apologize for that. My mistake.
- There isn't jittering while shooting by default when you download the mod. I was saying that when I try to edit the weapon bob settings to match Brutal Doom's style, it results in the weapon bobbing looking correct, but for some reason the weapons are jittery when firing and moving. I just can't find the right settings, and was hoping you could since you understand what's going on more, and possibly implement a selectable custom setting. I completely understand if you don't feel like doing it though, it was just a suggestion. I also understand if you don't have any interest in Brutal Doom either, but the weapon bobbing style from that mod matches the play style of this mod perfectly.
- Again, that would be great if you did implement standard Doom movement, but it's not essential. If it's possible, the best option in my opinion would be to have every aspect of the mod have the option to be enabled/disabled individually. This is probably my biggest request for this mod, and that option would basically be like adding default doom movement anyways.
- Sounds great. Much appreciated.
- I understand what you mean about gravity magically pulling you downwards, and that's fine if you don't implement this, especially if it would raise issues with the others aspects of the mod. It honestly wouldn't seem out of place though along side ramp jumping, wall sliding, and double jumping, but regardless, it's not something that's needed.
ToxicMasculinity

Postby Ivory Duke » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:00 am

In case anybody wonders what is the last movement mode I am adding
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

Re: ZMovement 2.0 (Quake Style Movement)

Postby Ivory Duke » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:14 am

2.0 out, go out and quak
Ivory Duke
Not an actual duke

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods