Lt. Typhon v5: massive guns

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Lt. Typhon v5: massive guns

Postby IDKrisis » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:00 pm

I recently tried this with a wad called Jenesis. I was enjoying myself right up until map 26, which ended suddenly a few seconds after entering, moving me on to the next level as if I had just reached the exit. This only occurs if the Lt. Typhon mod is active and it always happens within the same fixed period of time. When played normally, the level ends a few seconds after the exit elevator has been activated. Any idea what might be causing this?
IDKrisis
Dreaming in Pixels

Postby Skelegant » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 pm

Sounds like a voodoo doll exit, I haven't run into that error with other voodoo doll exit maps before, so I'll check out how Jenesis works and add any fixes to the update list :)
Skelegant

Postby Blackgrowl » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:21 am

I must say, Munchy the Cacorugrat is just so adorable, even his name is (Cacorugrat) that sometimes I wonder if I'd rather have two cats or a cacorugrat.
Can I have all three?
Blackgrowl

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Skelegant » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:25 am

A cacorugrat in the hand is worth two cats in the bush :D
Skelegant

Postby Linz » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:50 pm

Can I be perfectly honest

This mod is fucking great.

It instantly won me due to a combination of the Bioshock Punch,the sheer badasses,and of course

Le baby Caocodemon Munchy

Looking forward to whatever mods you make in the future,GHOLAZON X I also had fun with(played it with Sunlust)
Linz

Postby Captain J » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Instead of using tons of space, you can just add spoiler so you can add more efficient suspense! But i get ya, it's still a good mod.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Linz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:52 am

That was for dramatic effect,but you're right I should've
Linz

Postby Spaceman333 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:23 am

Just started playing this and I'm loving it so far, though I find myself wishing there was a hotkey I could press to bring up a temporary quick reference what the currently help gun does. Like a fading text when I have a gun equipped reminding what it had to offer.

Or maybe a F1 screen replacement that details what functions each gun has if I forgot them - since there a lot of them in this mod. Currently I need to come to the first post of this thread to read the spoiler, so it'd be nice if this info was also ingame or packaged with the mod too.

EDIT: This mod is gold! Did a quick playthrough and will definitely do more. I only saw some of the content, but its really great. My favorites so far is the powerloader, punch to pickup decoration and toss them and the machinegun's firing sound. I'm definitely playing way more of this! :D
Spaceman333

Postby <rd> » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi, just playing a map with this. I used some of the altfires this time. Next I'll learn more stuff. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzHOCqWBFh4

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqNmTeFgF8M
Last edited by <rd> on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<rd>

Postby Spaceman333 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:06 pm

The mod is packed to the brim with really neat details, like being able to shoot down revenant balls, evil clone that occasionally spawns and kicks my ass, power ups have satisfying effects, one-liners and more.

I've been playing this for about 5 playthroughs and its been a blast. I got the hang of the weapons and memorized them, so the overwhelmed-new-player issue I had is now gone. My only wish is that there was a fully automatic weapon that uses shotgun shells like candy. I tend to run out of every other ammo quickly, but I always have more shells to spare and a desire to send them into large/strong enemy mobs with greater rate and volume. Autoshotty of some kind maybe?
Spaceman333

Postby <rd> » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:14 pm

I have played this more, over roughly 30 maps from various sets so far. I keep discovering awesome rarer weapons and Easter eggs, even when I expect that I've exhausted most of those just due to the sheer number I encountered already and this not being a "contain the whole universe" mod like DRLA. You have a knack for design choices that are both clever on their own and gel really well with the mod as whole. Like, the kick sometimes uses both legs, which is so goofy and it slays me.

A couple of feedback-related observations:

- The player's clone both appears frequently and is really dangerous. Sometimes I don't have time to react with a cigar; sometimes I don't have a cigar at all. My preferred approach is to load up whatever map catches my fancy at the time and pistol start it, which the mod supports well otherwise, but that evil twin is commonly disruptive to that. I'd have no complaints if it appeared maybe half as often.

- The ASW-86 Pulse Rifle feels noticeably niche in application. Unless a clump or line of monsters gives you a juicy target for its alt-fire's ripping capabilities, the Sawn-off Browning is a lot more effective at (and fun for) dispatching individual bulky targets and most groups up close. Also the SOB's shrapnel alt-fire makes short work of fodder clumps too, further eating into the ripper's possible niche. That leaves stuff like fighting splash-immune targets too far for the SOB to deal with (the Rocket Launcher is so good that it becomes less appealing to use the Pulse Rifle to pick off meaty snipers that aren't splash immune). I know that an OP mod is not concerned with standard "balance" -- but just about every other common weapon in the set contributes in a way that impels you to mix it in a fair amount. The pulse rifle ends up more in the backseat.
<rd>

Postby <rd> » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:47 pm

I enjoyed so many little things about this that I decided to learn stuff about it in greater depth.

So I've written a short (<- uh... that became outdated) guide to her various abilities. Hopefully at least one other person enjoys it and gathers something from it.

Lt. Typhon Weapon and Ability Guide

"A strategy guide for a mod that substantially boosts the player's fighting power, the hell is this?" you might ask, which is a reasonable question! Well, this guide is less about maximizing your playing ability and more about having fun. The lead character is powerful enough to let you coast through harder mapsets on a limited subset of her weapons and abilities, but that is doing yourself a disservice. Anyway, she wants to enjoy herself too.

Typhon's pistol

Until you have the machinegun in slot 4, the starter pistol's altfire provides an inaccurate rapidfire that is strong early on and deserves regular use even after you get the shotgun. Use it on batches of small fry, and clean up the lone ones with the primary fire.

Mossberg

Even the basic shotgun replacement packs a good punch. Tapping altfire makes the monsters quite literally the butt of the joke, sending out your shotgun's booty for a melee attack that is swift and -- against lower-HP monsters -- devastating.

Holding altfire gives you a shrapnel-infused blast that shreds through monsters in the vicinity -- and also you! But Typhon has thick skin and takes little damage from this, so don't be shy about unleashing it even at point-blank unless you are near Buddha status.

The main benefit of this shredding effect is pain-stunning. Any monster caught in the shrapnel burst is out of commission for a bit. This feature, combined with the very low spread of the primary fire, means the shotgun never becomes truly obsolete. It can save your aforementioned thick skin when you are flanked by chaingunners who harangue you for your taste in '80s pop.

Sawnoff Browning

The SSG replacement is a rusty spork of a weapon that obliterates monsters at close-range. Revenants will never know what hit them.

The altfire is accompanied by an explosive burst of shrapnel very similar to the shotgun's, but more powerful, and with the key distinction being that it can fuck you up at point-blank... as I learned the hard way. Just hang back a bit and you should be fine.

The living shotgun

This weapon hits that duality of being gross while also truly wonderful. It is not a super shotgun that is merely encased in flesh; no, flesh is its very nature. It is the pulsing and throbbing embodiment -- veiny, sticky, moist and wet and sphinctery -- of click-boom-pow. *plays 10- hour YT loop of SSG firing*

Both of its attacks draw from the same pool of life energy as the psychic Bioshock attack, a good way of keeping it balanced, because otherwise I'd want to use it all the fucking time.

The living shotgun's magic is that the shells it expends come to life too. For a short time, these sentient slugs go after any targets nearby, bouncing off walls if needed, chewing away ferociously at any monsters they hit.

Neither of its firing options truly fill a new gameplay niche -- the ammo-efficiency is not a thing you usually need -- but that is more than okay, because it's so damn cool.

M9800 Heavy Machinegun

A standard-issue sustained fire weapon, one the many in Typhon's arsenal that is conducive to growing vegetation. The primary fire is what you'd expect. The altfire is a bit of a surprise. Five bullets are combined internally and out comes a grenade with variable behavior: it explodes if it hits a target directly (careful, 'target' also means 'you'); if it hits a ceiling, it also explodes on its next contact with a surface; otherwise, it bounces around and then explodes after some time. That is what I've observed empirically; the actual behavior might be more specific.

These grenades are capable of three-shotting a mancubus just like the vanilla rocket launcher. (Although as a wise balancing choice, it doesn't truly approach the RL in power, due to the lower rate-of-fire and a skew towards direct damage rather than group-shredding splash damage.) The cheap cost encourages me to try all sorts of really fun and fancy trajectories, like banking off walls, slipping through windows, and bouncing off stuff directly back into my face.

Despite the obvious existence of its showy uses, it makes an equally effective tool for regular dirty business. While you have the machinegun out at all, switching between its firing modes regularly is a good call: fire a 'nade at that pinky, tap down the zombie next to it, use the primary fire to shush an arachnotron and then get into range and chuck out grenades, etc.

That flexibility is present in most of Typhon's weapons. As a more general observation, the gameplay loop of main and altfires in this mod is like a quilt work; no altfire has a rare use case, neither does any serve solely one role, like as an opener or closer.

https://imgur.com/5kSi0gX.gifv
Grenades as a main weapon, primary fire to clean up.

GAU-9000 Gatling Gun

If a weapon has a loud idle noise, you know it's good. *sneakily nudges vanilla chainsaw out of view with foot*

The GAU-9000 is the higher-level chaingun replacement. It fires battery-powered bullets (yes, it uses 1 bullet and 1 cell per shot), and has no alftire, I'm guessing because its primary fire already does everything you need out of a weapon or an ability... or a significant other. After a few seconds of holding fire, this gun's mean side comes out. Your output transforms from a very punchy chaingun to... a ridiculously punchy hyperminigun that feels like it would rip a hole in the fabric of reality if you use one of those GZDoom versions that had a security exploit.

...oh yeah, poly is good... you can dual wield these.

https://imgur.com/546Qsux.gifv
Ah yes, the famous cyberdemon in Valiant map03.

CJ90 Rocket Launcher

The rocket launcher replacement is godly. It blows stuff to pulp. It blows pulp into tiny particles that when inhaled, have an effect that is eerily hallucinogenic. The primary fire is the workhorse, a powerful rocket that makes the vanilla version look wimpy. The altfire, for two rockets, will hurl out a rocket with the knockback of a kicking horse, lighting an inferno around the impact epicenter. Sound good? I hope so.

The interplay between these options is elegant, not as simple as "smaller groups, primary fire; bigger ones, altfire." The altfire can easily disperse groups -- which might not be ideal since the rocket launcher thrives with closer bunchings.

So favor the altfire when a group can't disperse anyway. A big closet of tightly bunched revvies? Go wild. A cloud of cacodemons? Maybe not.

Use it to land a killing blow against weaker monsters, or against a horde you have already softened up. Can't disperse when they are dead. *points at head*

Use it to soften up monsters you are going to finish off with other weapons.

And of course, use it when you want the group to split up -- push back that horde before it corners you.

https://imgur.com/OaDm3vA.gifv
Using altfire to clear a path through numerous revs, with a big mess behind me. This would normally be a bad idea without a BFG-tier weapon.

The plasma rifle replacements

The ASW-86 Pulse Rifle has really neat techno sounds and one of Typhon's more niche applications: the ripper effect of its altfire's turbo plasma is incredibly ammo-efficient in the right situations. The eight cells per shot it uses potentially go a long way; I was able to clear a neat row of six mancubi with just six shots. Until you have the BFG, little else can rival that. I view the primary fire's energy bolts, because of its more modest DPS, as more of a supporting tool so you aren't caught out to dry against unexpected threats while working the altfire.

The old BFG 9000 retains a respectable chunk of the power of its fully functional version, and of the slot-6 weapons, it is the most efficient in its 'point and click' use. So I use this one, rather than the pulse rifle, as a regular way to spend cells. The altfire shoots a BFG-lite burst that can kill a meaty target like an archvile quickly in a pinch, but this is less ammo-efficient than the primary fire.

The Strange Rifle, not as strong as the other two, turns out to be aptly named because its appearance, which is substantially rarer than the other variants, coincides with one of Typhon's cute 'n' silly Easter eggs -- Gondolas drop these as a gift. That is really cute.

The FOG25000

What do you expect out of the Fuck-Off Gun twenty-five thousand? It shoots out the usual spurt of green goo for 40 cells, but for not even twice that, you can unleash an atomic storm of an attack that liquidates whole hordes in one earth-shaking blast. Only issue, if you aren't careful, it also liquidates whole yous in one earth-shaking blast -- and not even superpowered armor and a stylish rugged look will save you. So I try to pick my spots and watch out for lost souls, who always love to befriend me at the worst times. It's not Mountain Dew, ya dummies. (What even is this section?!)

The Automag

Commonly found on top of backpacks, the Automag delivers less of a mean thud and more of a mean jolt. Though its damage output is low, when altfire is tapped it has infallible powers to pain stun. Archvile with no cover? Baron backing you into a corner? Cybie you simply want to run past? The Automag is the tool for that.

https://imgur.com/9qvcddH.gifv
Cyb be like "DSDMPAIN.WAV"

The rest

The mod is rounded out by heaps of abilities that you are unlikely to rely on to the same extent as the regular weapons. They are a colorful cast that are where Typhon really gets her freak on. Out of both kindness to my fingers and length concerns, I'll tour some of my favorites quickly instead of summarizing them all.

- You can make monsters afraid of you with a mean dose of 'bio-shocking'. (I didn't notice this at first -- most monsters die in one hit or soon after -- but try using the Bio Shock punch on a cyberdemon.)

- Speaking of which, you can catch cyberdemon rockets (or, uh, so I was told).

- You can wield the power of Sirius to rain demonic lightning overkill on any monster who disapproves of your fashion choices.
https://imgur.com/jFP8qOt.gifv
This zombieman said Typhon's eyepatch was poorly color coordinated. Hmmph.

- If you get tired of waiting for that crusty lift, you can scale buildings with jet-powered anchors.

- You can kick stuff in the butt.
https://imgur.com/P7nxy7c.gifv
I always felt this cyb placement was unfair in the original game, so I couldn't help but rub it in while getting my revenge...

- You can operate a literal mech to do battle or, better yet, to do household tasks.
https://imgur.com/cZWaSHc.gifv
Ah nukage barrel porridge, just like granny used to make it.

- You can... do this.
https://imgur.com/h0xjNwe.gifv

Anyway, I have no words left me in now. Thank you for reading.
<rd>

Postby Skelegant » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:46 pm

How do I pin comments?
This is an excellent weapon infodump, and brings to my attention the fact that everything is a lot more balanced than I give it credit for (my worst critic is myself lol) which honestly just makes me wanna squash the bugs/less balanced and fun aspects sooner rather than later. I should probably focus on getting out a little quality of life update with maybe a few new bits and pieces, rather than waiting to get a proper overhaul done. The clones definitely need nerfing, and I'll see what I can do with the pulse rifle to make it more useful, same with the strange rifle as that basically does the same job but slower.
Skelegant

Postby Gollgagh » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Skelegant wrote:How do I pin comments?

You could copy the address from the little Image permalink icon under the comment title to put a link in the OP.
Gollgagh

Postby Captain J » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Now that's one detailed and accurate tip for the mod. Certainly can feel the love towards it! Good on ya :D
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods