The Wayfarer's Tome: a standalone gameplay mod for Heretic

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: The Wayfarer's Tome: a standalone gameplay mod for Heret

Postby Captain J » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:03 pm

Just figured it out: If you set Sprite Billboard to X/Y Axis, it does like that. So i guess i have to turn it to Y Axis...
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Not Jabba » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:27 pm

Hi all. Here is Beta 5!

Changes from Beta 4:
-Whole project converted from WAD to PK3.
-Replaced all player sprites with new ones created from scratch (except for the popped skull and burn death). Accordingly, all player sprites from the Minor Sprite Fixing Project are removed.
-Improved Lightbringer pickup sprite.
-Smoother weapon animations for the Lightbringer (thanks to Xtyfe).
-Added +EXTREMEDEATH flag to the non-Tomed Lightbringer projectile, so it always gibs enemies if they can be gibbed.
-Added DECALDEF with decals for all the modified Heretic projectiles.
-Fixed KEYCONF again because for some reason the corrections didn't properly make it into the last beta.
-Fixed the Staff range (regular and Tomed) because it was incorrectly implemented. Its range is now 68, compared to the vanilla range of (iirc) 44. (Thanks to Lagi)
-Reduced the sound rolloff min and max for the Nitrogolem projectile's scream so that it's not as loud. It should be less annoying now, but you can still hear when it's coming at you in order to evade it.
-Added an improved colormap that smooths out various color ranges so that they don't become flat quite so fast in dimmer light. This is most noticeable with the red range, but it affects several other ranges as well. It also fixes a couple of obvious small mistakes in the original colormap. This is somewhat experimental, so if anyone has experience with colormaps and is able to improve it further, I'd be happy to take fixes.
-By popular demand, a Wand Start option has been added. I based it on the one by JP LeBreton and DevilBlackDeath rather than the one by m8f because it was simpler and I was able to understand it better in order to make modifications; it's possible that m8f's has some cool functionality that I'm missing, but Wand Starts seem like a simple thing, and this one works the way I want it to. Under the Wayfarer's Tome > Wand Starts menu option, you can choose either Automatic Wand Starts or Automatic Crossbow Starts. If you choose Crossbow Starts, you will enter each subsequent map with an Ethereal Crossbow with 20 ammo and the Gauntlets of the Necromancer, in addition to the Elven Wand with 50 ammo. Note: the Crossbow Start only applies if you continue from a previous map, not to the start map of an episode or if you use the ENGAGE cheat to skip maps.
Not Jabba

Postby Lagi » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:03 am

bugfix, so do you think the gameplay of Watfarer Tome is perfect, and cannot be improved? :)
Lagi

Postby Not Jabba » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:36 am

Lagi wrote:bugfix, so do you think the gameplay of Watfarer Tome is perfect, and cannot be improved? :)

There are a few more features and mapset patches I want to add. The main thing I am still planning to do is expand it into a mapper toolkit/resource pack with additional monsters and items and stuff, and eventually more player classes. I'm happy with the base mod (as a set of balance tweaks and a platform for making new Heretic maps, which are its primary goals), but will continue to do bugfixes if needed.
Not Jabba

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods