[mini-mod] Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.8

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mpcomp
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.5 [mini-mod]

Post by mpcomp »

Greetings

Update: Reading" The Nameless Watcher" comment i went back to hardsave and tried the prism laser ... only to experience for 2 hard save loads the prism laser worked fine giving acid blast effect (expanding and popping like balloon) and chill effect (freeze death ) on enemies and then on third load it happened .. VM abort with same error mentioned in previous post..... so it stands to reason that , as mentioned on guncaster main page glossary , the prism laser uses random spell effects besides faster monster hp drain so behind this crash is the same effect that is causing VM abort crash when either apocolypse or scrougebreath spells are used..... in short i can confirm what user " The Nameless Watcher" has mentioned.
Peace
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.6 [mini-mod]

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to version 1.6

-This includes a new particle effect for the tracers fired by monsters with the hitscan override. This particle effect makes full use of GC resources to produce the sparks and smoke.
-Commander keen based monsters should now properly receive the adapter
-Scourgebreath/Apocalypse/Prism Laser VM Aborting should now be corrected.
mpcomp wrote: VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from GuncastDamageScript.DoEffect at Universal_Guncaster_Adapter.pk3:zscript/genericcustommonsters.txt, line 101
The Nameless Watcher wrote:I am also getting the error reported by mpcomp.

Using Guncaster and its addon, Colourful Hell 0.97ccc fiiix , and 1.5 of this addon.
mpcomp wrote:Update: Reading" The Nameless Watcher" comment i went back to hardsave and tried the prism laser ... only to experience for 2 hard save loads the prism laser worked fine giving acid blast effect (expanding and popping like balloon) and chill effect (freeze death ) on enemies and then on third load it happened .. VM abort with same error mentioned in previous post.....
This VM abort should be fixed now
affandede

Post by affandede »

Selecting the "replace nothing, adapt" option makes the map keep its custom monsters but "guncasterize" them, right? Making them drop dosh and all? But on Guncaster Vindicated 2.9.1, selecting this option on Eviternity makes those emerald pinkies... nazi dogos.
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Should probably wait for an update, but testing this with Guncaster 3.3 and Colorful Hell 97CCC, I seem to be able to make the VM abort fairly consistently when changing levels and using the Apocalypse spell.
This doesn't happen in the first level after loading the game, whether it be a New Game or Save game.
I've also noticed the monsters seem to retain the properties of whatever hit them before them being killed by the Brimstone: You can observe this by using Gumpop and then killing the enemy with the sword.
The enemy will instead pop as if killed by gumpop rather than get gibbed.

The VM abort I got:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: Tried to read from address zero
Called from Actor.CountInv at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/inventory_util.zs
Called from GuncasterDamageScript.DoEffect at Universal_Guncaster_Adapter.pk3:zscript/genericcustommonsters.txt, line 79
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Universal Guncaster Adapter 1.7 [mini-mod]

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Updating to 1.7
I'll post some details later... my head hurts so much right now >.<
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Thanks for updating :)
GamingMarine

Post by GamingMarine »

Dinosaur_Nerd wrote:Updating to 1.7
I'll post some details later... my head hurts so much right now >.<
Does this update include compatibility with the newest release of Guncaster (3.3)?
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Yes, it should work with GC 3.3
I think the bug observed in GCVin with the screen shaking is also present here. I got a crash when doing a groundpound with the powersuit.

EDIT: Forgot to post my mod order
damnums 1.0.1
MapsOfChaos-Overkill
Guncaster 3.3
GC_Addon
GC_WeaponShop
ColorfulHell 97CCC
Universal GC Adapter 1.7
LegendoomLite 3.0
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Heyo!

So I've been tinkering around and trying to find out if it is possible to run this with a mod that also replaces weapons and more, specifically Mutiny version 2.0. The monsters work just fine, but it is defaulting to the Mutiny player class, not the Guncaster player class. I'm still messing around with it, but have been having no luck with this. Is it possible to do mods that replace more than just monsters, or would that just be a nightmare of tinkering with code?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Try this. Open Mutiny and delete KEYCONF. Then load GC - Mutiny - Adapter in that order.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

That works! Though there are some general weirdness with it.

The HUD and the menus are taking after Mutiny since its later in the load order. Mutiny's items are also being spawned, which was easy to fix by editing DECORATE to not include the items. Also the game crashes any time I exit it, which isn't too huge an issue, although now all of the enemies are dropping random weapons and stratocasters. I'll have pistol marines drop an Auger railgun, for example. I'll take a look and see if messing with the monster data may fix this.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

An addition, replacing the monsters' drop items with "clip" can sometimes result in other things being dropped. TNT bundles, spare Matriarch shells, shotgun shells, etc. Looking into the code, see if this may be an easy change.

Lol I have no coding experience what am I doing with my life
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

CaptainNurbles wrote:Lol I have no coding experience what am I doing with my life
Never too late to start learning :D
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Apologies for blowing this up! (Isn't blowing things up the whole point of Guncaster?)

I managed to make a sorta gutted version of Mutiny after much poking around with it. It isn't perfect, and I'm gonna keep messing with it to make it work out.

So far, my biggest issue with it is that there aren't any guns that spawn aside from the shotgun. Initially, it would spawn Mutiny's guns, then replace them with a random Guncaster weapon, meaning you could get an Auger from a shotgun spawn. To remedy this I deleted everything in the GUNS file except for all the info about shell casings as deleting those cause the game to crash. With that done, now the only gun that'll spawn is the shotgun, everything else gives an error saying it doesn't recognize "X" weapon (X being the Mutiny weapon class.) I had a look through all of Mutiny's code, and I'm stumped.

I swear once I figure this shit out I'll slap a download link for a GC compatible Mutiny file.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Ok, so you're trying to get the monsters from there into this. There are two ways of going about this. If you choose to load GC first, you need Mutiny to not replace the weapons and items. If you switch the load order you need GC not to replace the monsters. I'd go with whichever is easier. When you load two mods that replace the same item, the last in the load order takes precedence. If you look in the GUNS file the first line is "ACTOR PDW : Weapon replaces Chaingun". All you have to do it insert // before replaces so it is like this:
ACTOR PDW : Weapon //replaces Chaingun
Gzdoom will ignore anything after // on that line. So, even though the gun is still available and able to be spawned with the console, it won't show up in place of the chaingun anymore. Simply do that for each of the weapons and items and you should be golden. I'm sure some monsters will have custom drops that refer to things found in Mutiny so you might want to check their "DropItem" and change them to something GC related, or just let the adapter handle those for you.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”