Xim's Star Wars Doom - Updated (MAY/4/2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xim

Re: Xim's Star Wars Doom

Post by Xim »

I'm getting an odd bug that I have no idea how to fix. The timer in final map of Doomed Space Wars doesn't appear and it seems to only seems to give you 40 seconds instead of 60. Anyone have an idea why this would happen, and maybe how to fix it?
MartinHowe wrote:I am quite enjoying this, well done.

@Xim There are a few things I hope you might consider for the next iteration:

(1) There are a lot of good maps out there for Doom, and I tend to prefer Doom's mapping style to Doom2's. Apart from the lack of Doom2 specific things like bossbrains (and one can summon Palpatine anyway via the console), this seems to work OK with Doom and it was easy to duplicate D_DM2TTL and D_DM2INT with their Doom names so that the mod works with both. Would it be possible for duplicate music lumps to be included in the next version?
Oh yeah for sure. I added a replacement for the read-me/victory music too. I went with a midi of Empire Strikes Back ending music, since it has a "bittersweet sound" to it, much like the tone of all of Doom's "victories" :P .
(2) Just curious, but what are the SIDIOUS and STARSONG music lumps for? I can't find any reference to them in any of the scripts in the mod.
That's just leftover stuff from something I was doing. I'll probably remove them from the next version.
(3) Please can the DECORATE and other text lumps have a ".txt" extension? Most archiving utilities on Windows will likely choke because - for example DECORATE - is used both as the name of a directory and of a file in the same subdirectory level. IZArc can't handle this, for one. I imagine you developed this on Linux, as the casing of the names is different in the PK3 files, so that would have worked there. Yes, I know that is only of interest to modders wanting to take a look at it or doing mods to it themselves (e.g., music lumps), but it is a thing.
They'll be renamed for the next version. But it's funny you think I used Linux, since I didn't. I had a room mate with one that let me use it, and I could barely figure out how to use the thing. I just use Windows 10 and SLADE.
Enjay wrote:I open a sprites folder inside a PK3 using 7-zip (PK3s are associated with 7-zip on my machine) and see a mixture of items with no extension, .LMP as an extension and .PNG as an extension. I can only double-click the .PNGs to get them to open for a quick inspection but I want to look at the others. I then close 7-zip and open the PK3 in Slade and find that all of the files were PNGs anyway (or maybe they weren't or maybe there is a mixture of formats). Basically, it means that only Slade can work with the files whereas, with better naming conventions, any tool able to open a PK3 (I still hate that name for Doom compressed archives BTW) is pretty useless once the file is open.
Yeah, it's probably a better idea for pk3s (btw I don't like that name either, I miss WAD) to be friendly with other tools. I pretty much only use SLADE, but I see other people would want to use other things. I do want this mod to be user and modder friendly. I might want other people to help me work on my mod, or take over if I die. :lol:
And don't get me started with all those "helpful" empty lumps called something like "--------" that people insert into their files to separate sections but which all get sorted to the top of the list in most archive explorers.
:P I feel personally attacked by this comment. I used to do that all the time.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Xim :D
Xim

Post by Xim »

Okay, I was going to do a smaller update, but I figured I'd do something more special...
Spoiler:
Yes, due to high demand, I added force powers (Check OP for more info). They're not all uber complex like Psychic or anything (I'm not that good of a coder), but I've got them in a pretty decent way IMO. If there's any bugs or issues let me know and then I'll do an official update on ModDB and maybe more.

EDIT: There was a bug, couldn't pickup a second lightsaber (thought I fixed that, but oh well), now you can always pickup lightsabers.
Last edited by Xim on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darman Macray

Re: Xim's Star Wars Doom - "Use The Force"

Post by Darman Macray »

I’ve encountered a bug while playing Doom 1’s E1M8, where the walls that are supposed to drop in relation to the Dark Troopers do no such thing.

At first I thought it was me doing something weird, but then I played both Freedoom and Fava Beans E1M8s and the same thing happened, wherein I’d have to noclip to the exit after beating the Dark Troopers. I played Doom 1 with an earlier version of the mod back in June, and did not encounter this issue.

Also, I love the new bazooka! I’m not sure where the sprite is from, but it looks really cool and feels fittingly powerful! I’m playing through Icarus right now in the hopes of getting to try the force powers.
Xim

Re: Xim's Star Wars Doom - "Use The Force"

Post by Xim »

Ooops, thanks for pointing that out.

Fixed with new update.
Spoiler:
Xim

Re: Xim's Star Wars Doom - NOW WITH MORE FORCE POWERS

Post by Xim »

New update, added some cool new stuff in this one, and did some "polishing up" on some things like enemy and weapon animations and recoils.
Spoiler:
Might want to check out the first post too, updated it with some new info on key controls and for the new weapons and force powers.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Yay! Finally some magic! <3

Any chance you could implement telekinesis like in Duke Forces?? I.e. you can grab any item at any distance by clicking +use and either magnet it to yourself and/or drop to enemy like no gravity phys cannon from hl2? Also, use same +use to grab any NPC at any distance and choke it to death. :p

May the FORCE be with you!
Xim

Post by Xim »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Any chance you could implement telekinesis like in Duke Forces?? I.e. you can grab any item at any distance by clicking +use and either magnet it to yourself and/or drop to enemy like no gravity phys cannon from hl2? Also, use same +use to grab any NPC at any distance and choke it to death. :p
That would be cool, and quite the feat for ZDoom. Unfortunately I don't think it's possible, at least with DECORATE. I'd have to re work almost everything in the mod too.
MaxRideWizardLord

Xim wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
That would be cool, and quite the feat for ZDoom. Unfortunately I don't think it's possible, at least with DECORATE. I'd have to re work almost everything in the mod too.
You'd might like to check the code of Guncaster's spell named Chillgrasp, it works almost identical to the canonical Star War's choke force, in addition it also creates splash damage around the picked up NPC which damages everything around in addition to picked up NPC, and also freezes them all. It doesn't work on items like in Duke Force, which is a shame, but it's still awesome spell nonetheless.

I hope PillowBlaster is nice enough to let you copy, or learn new stuff out of his project, though.

OH and I completely forgot about Garry's Doom mod. There are gravity gun AND phys gun, one can magnet all type of objects, including NPC and pickup items, and even kick\push NPC against wall\floor to make them get damage depend on speed; and another gun can pick and control all of the objects on any distance you like, and even fixate them on one spot. Since I couldn't find this mod on this forum, I'll give you link to moddb - https://www.moddb.com/mods/garrys-doom
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Xim wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
You'd might like to check the code of Guncaster's spell named Chillgrasp, it works almost identical to the canonical Star War's choke force, in addition it also creates splash damage around the picked up NPC which damages everything around in addition to picked up NPC, and also freezes them all. It doesn't work on items like in Duke Force, which is a shame, but it's still awesome spell nonetheless.

I hope PillowBlaster is nice enough to let you copy, or learn new stuff out of his project, though.

OH and I completely forgot about Garry's Doom mod. There are gravity gun AND phys gun, one can magnet all type of objects, including NPC and pickup items, and even kick\push NPC against wall\floor to make them get damage depend on speed; and another gun can pick and control all of the objects on any distance you like, and even fixate them on one spot. Since I couldn't find this mod on this forum, I'll give you link to moddb - https://www.moddb.com/mods/garrys-doom
The code for various force powers on Duke Forces might also work here too.
ANTARES74

Post by ANTARES74 »

Xim ,Good day! Unfortunately, I can’t download the new version of your mod. The link gives an error plate on the server. Maybe upgrade to moddb?
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Download link works fine for me. any chance of the stand-alone weapon and enemies being updated?
Xim

Post by Xim »

I plan on uploading the new version to ModDB. And yes, I think it's time to update the stand-alone weapons/enemies version, that'll be coming up next. Maybe later in the future I'll try and rework a cooler force grip, pull, push etc.
MaxRideWizardLord

Valherran wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:

The code for various force powers on Duke Forces might also work here too.
I've just check the GAME.CON of Duke Force's mod and, oh god... This coding is like witchcraft type of hard, and all of it's script is located in a single file. I just wanted to make infinite energy, or make the forces to not consume energy at all, and I couldn't find what line even responsible for energy the player have and what line is actually a forces.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Just gave the new version a spin liking the new stuff i seen use finally made a hotkey for the grenades great job also is that missle launcher sprite based on the half life 1 missle launcher?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”