[Release ver. 1.1] RRWM

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Release ver. 1.03a] RRWM

Postby Player701 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 am

RRWM has been updated to version 1.03a. Download the new release HERE (the link in the first post has been updated too).

This is a hotfix release related to certain recent changes in GZDoom's menu code that cause RRWM 1.03 to produce a script error in newer GZDoom builds.

There is currently ongoing work to bring Russian language support to RRWM, and while the translation has already been done, the underlying architecture is still being worked on. Since it relies on some experimental, yet-unfinished GZDoom features, it will require further revisions and refactoring after the next GZDoom version has been released, and this process may take some time. In the meantime, we do not want the old version to break.

This release also fixes slightly incorrect positioning of custom big fonts in the HUD.

Save files made with 1.03 should load and work fine with this new version.
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Release ver. 1.04] RRWM

Postby Player701 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 am

RRWM has been updated to version 1.04. Download the new release HERE (the link in the first post has been updated too).

NB: This release bumps the minimum required GZDoom version to 4.1.0.

This is a minor QoL improvement release. This release brings two new features:

1. Support for Russian localization. When the language in GZDoom is set to Russian, the RRWM options menu, the HUD and various game messages are now also localized.
  2. Low ammo indicator. When the amount of ammo in your weapon's clip falls down to a certain (configurable) threshold, a message will appear below the crosshair to indicate that you probably need to reload soon. This feature can be enabled in the RRWM HUD options submenu. For details, please refer to the in-game help pages.
Save files made with 1.03a should load and work fine with this new version, even across different GZDoom versions (4.0.0 to 4.1.0 or 4.1.1).

Changelog:

• Added Russian localization (see above).
  • Added low ammo indicator (see above).
  • Added CVAR names to menu help pages.
  • Removed the old obituary system and replaced it with a per-weapon / projectile obituary system for better localization support.
  • Fixed missing obituaries for certain weapons.
  • Switch to ZScript version 4.1
  • Some refactoring of HUD code
This version has been playtested in cooperative multiplayer with the Community Chest 4 PWAD.
Player701

Re: [Release ver. 1.04] RRWM

Postby Player701 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:30 am

I've just checked if this mod works with the newly released GZDoom 4.2, and everything seems OK so far. I therefore recommend everyone who might be interested in this project to upgrade to GZDoom 4.2 whenever possible, because there is no guarantee that compatibility with old versions will be maintained. If anyone finds out that some of this mod's features do not work properly with 4.2, I will investigate these issues when I can.

I will do additional testing in the future myself, too - I haven't been working much on this lately since I usually don't play Doom in summer time. Rest assured, though, that this project is far from dead, but I consider bugfixes to be more important than new features. The feature set is deemed mostly complete at this point; further developments on this front may be considered later on, but what I think is most necessary (after playtesting, of course) is to get rid of borrowed sprites eventually. Unfortunately, I cannot accomplish this myself because I have no artistic skills whatsoever - I am merely a coder. So, if anyone wants to donate sprites to this project, please read the corresponding section in the first post ("Sprite contributions"). Thank you! :)
Player701

Re: [Release ver. 1.05] RRWM

Postby Player701 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:17 am

RRWM has been updated to version 1.05. Download the new release HERE (the link in the first post has been updated too).

NB: This release bumps the minimum required GZDoom version to 4.2.0. Please always use the latest available GZDoom version, and if you experience script errors, be sure to report them here as soon as you can. Thank you very much!

This is a minor release. All save files should be backwards-compatible, unless migrating to a newer GZDoom version that can't load old saves. See full changelog below.

• It is now possible to reduce rocket smoke count by 50% of the default value ("Enable rocket smoke" can be set to off, reduced (50%) and full (100%) instead of just on and off). Too much smoke has been known to cause performance issues on older GPUs, but some players may not want to get rid of it entirely.
  • Removed unnecessary extra space in the main options menu between the RRWM menu entry and the rest of entries (an empty line is added automatically since GZDoom 4.2.1)
  • Spawn casings and empty clips based on the player's relative ViewZ value instead of the fixed ViewHeight * CrouchFactor calculation. Using ViewZ takes view bobbing into account, making spawn positions slightly more accurate.
Player701

Re: [Release ver. 1.1] RRWM

Postby Player701 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:42 am

RRWM has been updated to version 1.1. Download the new release HERE (the link in the first post has been updated too).

NB: This release bumps the minimum required GZDoom version to 4.3.1, due to the use of the latest ZScript features and reliance on certain bug fixes (ahem). Please upgrade now.

Starting from this release, the HUD is also available as a separate package. It can be used with virtually any WAD, even if it's not compatible with RRWM itself. It can also be used in non-Doom games, although support for them is very basic, and the status bar is not available. NB: The HUD is STILL included in the main RRWM distribution. DO NOT ATTEMPT to load the HUD package alongside with rrwm.pk3, or you will get a script error.

Save files from 1.05 are fully backwards-compatible with this version, as long as GZDoom itself can load them.

This is a major release with a HUGE codebase update. No changes to the gameplay have been made (sorry!), but the entire HUD and some of the menu code have been rewritten completely from the ground up. The old code was not particularly extendable and generally did not meet today's coding standards, so I went ahead and made something that wasn't quite... er, well, let's just say I made Something Entirely New (or maybe not really) to replace it.

Spoiler: Technobabble

Performance warning: Due to increased complexity, the new code may result in a degraded experience on older entry-level CPUs. To rectify this problem, try the following steps:

1. Make sure that the lag you're getting is due to the new HUD code, and not because of something else. Compare the performance with the previous version first. If the game still feels laggy, then it's either something else causing the slowdown, or your PC is simply not powerful enough to run RRWM smoothly. Sorry about that.
  2. If it has been determined that the new HUD is producing lag, switch to the alternative HUD. Starting with this version, alternative HUD has been extended and now shows the clip amount for the selected weapon (thanks to a new GZDoom feature). When the alternative HUD is enabled, the normal HUD will not be processed at all, freeing up CPU resources and (potentially) making the game run faster. For obvious reasons, none of the RRWM HUD options have any effect on the alternative HUD; you have to use the corresponding GZDoom options menu to configure it, just like you do when you run GZDoom without RRWM.

Other feature highlights:

Rocket ammo is now easier to find

Playtesting has revealed that small rocket ammo pickups are sometimes hard to spot, especially in dark areas. This has been rectified by making the pickups blink periodically.

Just relax and watch the blinkenlights

Please keep in mind that due to a technical limitation, this feature will not be activated if you're loading a save file made with an older RRWM version. However, it will start working immediately after transitioning to the next level.

Automatic DEHACKED detection

RRWM will now disable monster replacements if monsters are found to have been modified by a DEHACKED patch. DEHACKED is known to clash with modern modding tools, sometimes with unpredictable results. With this new feature, RRWM can stay on the safe side and still be compatible with WADs that use DEHACKED to tamper with certain monster types (the most common victim of such tampering in classic and limit-removing megawads is the Wolfenstein SS).

RRWM will report all monster types modified by DEHACKED during the GZDoom startup sequence, as long as these types are relevant (i.e. have RRWM replacements). A message will be printed to the console, informing the user that RRWM settings will not have any effect on the affected monster types.

You've been warned, but you can keep playing

Here is some more info on how this feature works:

• Due to a technical limitation, DEHACKED patches loaded from the command line via "-deh" will not be detected. However, most PWADs that come with a standalone DEHACKED patch also have a copy of it within the WAD itself, and the .deh file is only needed when using the original Doom EXE.
  • Replacements are disabled selectively, not all at once. For example, if a DEHACKED patch tampers with the Wolfenstein SS, then only Wolfenstein SS replacements will be disabled.
  • There is no check for whether the tampering in question might actually cause any glitches. This would require a full-blown DEHACKED parser to be implemented within RRWM, along with some clever heuristics. While this is definitely not an impossible task, it is probably a bit too much for a project like this. However, it might be reconsidered if GZDoom implements a ZScript API for the DEHACKED subsystem (unlikely to happen).

Enemy health bar

You can now see the remaining health of the enemy you are currently targeting with your crosshair. (Note that it's not required to enable the crosshair for this to work)

I spy with my little crosshair

By default, this feature is disabled. It can be turned on in the RRWM HUD options menu. The maximum distance between you and the enemy at which their health bar is still visible is also configurable. Please keep in mind that setting the distance limit to a large value may lead to reduced performance in some cases (mostly huge open areas).

Changelog (UI):

• The fullscreen HUD, status bar, and menu help screens have been reimplemented from scratch using the widget system. This is mostly an under-the-hood change - see the spoiler text above in the first section for details.
  • Added fallback logic to make the HUD work in non-Doom games. This doesn't mean these games are officially supported, but the HUD is now guaranteed to not break when playing them.
  • Added a health bar that displays the health of the enemy that is currently being targeted by the player's crosshair. This feature is disabled by default; it can be enabled in the RRWM HUD options menu.
  • Added a weapon slots indicator that is displayed above the ammo counters (but below the ammo table, if it's enabled). The indicator can be disabled in the RRWM HUD options menu.
  • The health indicator will now start fading out and back in repeatedly when the player's health is low. The definition for "low" is by default 25 health or less; this can be customised in the RRWM HUD options menu. The animation can be turned off entirely by setting the threshold value to 0 - the health meter will not animate when the player is dead.
  • The inventory bar now features smooth scrolling to the selected item. (You will not notice this unless you play with a mapset that has custom inventory items)
  • The inventory bar now displays the name of the selected item above the item's icon. This feature can be disabled in the HUD options menu. (Again, this is only relevant when there are inventory items in the game)
  • Added a setting to disable the use of small key icons in the fullscreen HUD. There are a few known PWADs that replace these icons so that they make less sense outside of the status bar (Jenesis is one such example). If this setting is off, keys will be represented by their sprites instead (or by their alternative HUD icons, if any).
  • The order in which the HUD displays active powerups has been reversed: the most recently picked up powerup will appear at the bottom of the list. (The Adrenaline is an exception, since it automatically positions itself at a specific place in the inventory chain to work properly, so it will always be at the top)
  • Added support for RRWM weapons to the alternative HUD - it now displays the amount of ammo left in the selected weapon's clip.
  • The description text on option help screens can now be smoothly scrolled, courtesy of ScrollView and the animation subsystem.

Changelog (other):

• Added basic DEHACKED detection. Monster types found to have been tampered with by DEHACKED will not be replaced with their RRWM equivalents. This improves compatibility with certain PWADs (see below for some examples).
  • Most (but not all) item pickup sounds will no longer override each other if they're different. Unfortunately, it's not possible to apply this change to every sound without replacing every single item, at least for now (see here for details).
  • Changed extra sound channel numbers to random values to avoid potential clashes.
  • Small rocket ammo pickups will now constantly blink to attract more attention and make them easier to find in dark areas.
  • Moving effect actors (casings, empty clips, smoke etc.) are now affected by wind sector specials.
  • Changed: The Chainsaw will now also alert monsters when starting up / powering down.
  • Fixed: The Chainsaw now respects the infinite ammo setting and powerup.
  • Fixed: Some of the Chainsaw's sprites shared their names with those of vanilla weapon's. This severely increased the probability of a PWAD accidentally replacing them, so the offending sprites have been renamed.

Additional information:

This version has been playtested in single player with the following PWADs:

We have also done some multiplayer testing with TNT: Revilution*. Also thanks to Void Weaver and TDRR for additional performance testing.

* PWAD is fully compatible with RRWM starting from this version thanks to the DEHACKED detection feature
Player701

Postby AvzinElkein » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:21 am

I wonder what RRWM is short for.
AvzinElkein

Discord: AvzinReborn#9162

Postby Player701 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:25 am

The answer lies in the old and unsupported version of the mod released on idgames in 2010. Now it doesn't stand for anything at all, and remains as it were simply because I couldn't think of a better name. I admit I'm not too good at making up names, especially when they aren't in my native language. I'm sorry about that. :(
Player701

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods