{Zscript;} Doom 40K : Bolter Edition (0.0.7)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Apeirogon

{Zscript;} Doom 40K : Bolter Edition (0.0.7)

Post by Apeirogon »

As someone could guess from the title, this is mod which brings bolter from warhammer 40k universe in doom.
For those who who dont know what is a bolter, in simple its gun that shoots rocket propelled "red bull"-sized cans that explode on impact. With a obvious result.
This mod made with aim on several things.
First, to satisfy those who launch slaughter, and a like, wads not to watch how two cyberdemon kills dozens of imp while you dance under the rain of revenants missiles with a sole shell and a pistol with 27 bullets in it, but for turbo killers, like me, who want to kill monsters in the darkness of hell by own hands. I like my hands bloody... :twisted:
Second, to finally make at least some warhammer 40k related mod for (g)zdoom.
Third, to pull out chaingun from a "weak weapon which only purpose is to stunlock(such word exist, right?!)" abyss. Shotgun stronger than bad-ass six barreled gun??? What :?: :?:
And etc.

So, bolter able to replace all default doom weapons from pistol to rocket launcher.
This is achieved by replacing ammo type of a weapon to the clip, shell and rockets. Replacing use build in "reload" and "zoom" keys, so make sure you bind it.
Three ammo type match to three projectile type, standard, shrapnel and explosive, which do exactly what you expect from their names. So yes, to shoot explosive bolts you need some rockets in pocket.
Standard projectile is a to overpowered, comparing to default pistol/chaingun shot, so it use two clip to shoot, instead of one. This is intentional, for balance reason.
Different ammo type have different rate of fire. Again intentional, for balance reason.
Its a bit overpowered, i.e. shred in pieces simple zombieman, but not to the point "kill ten thousand barons without sweating". Only to the point "increased rate of fire of all mention weapon in 2-3 times".
But that for the reason mentioned in second line, "red bull"-sized cans SHOULD hit that hard. Because what the point if they dont?
Also you can aim with it, using right mouse button. This eliminates bolts spreading and zoom screen a little bit. Sniping demons never been so comfortable.

Video, sunder first map.

I try to make it compatible as much as possible with all "default" and "default" like maps, which use clips, shells and rockets as weapon ammo, but if you meet bugs on some map, post it here.
Note that some wads with one big map use a LOT of actors for decorations (plutonium sandpit, UAC vinur prime base and most, if not all, of a tormentor667 maps for example) which leads to twitching model animations. This is flaw of a map and I cant do anything with it. Well, I can, but its ruin entire map.
Another known bug that if you try to look down and aim you head stuck in the model of bolter. I know about and trying to find suitable trigonometrical solution. So for now, just dont do it.

Download link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G3rvwZ ... 0QstB/view
Require gzdoom version > 2.4.

While making this I violated a bunch of copyright, like:
Sounds ripped from warhammer 40k "BROTHER IM PINNED HERE!!!" dawn of war 2. Well, not ripped, just exported from game archive using appropriate tool.
Model....I dont really know who made it. I found it on my old HDD in quake3 folder. So probably some modeler for quake 3. So after (if) I win my war against blender and/or nash blender md3 exporter script, and finally force it work, I change it to dawn of war 2 bolter model.
Sprites from first page of a google with "free sprites" keyword.

All other stolen from gzdoom.pack without any attribution.
Twitchy2019

Re: {Zscript;} Doom 40K : Bolter Edition (0.0.7)

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Ok, I like the fact someone tried a 40k weapon mod. Here's my two bits based upon your video, first your bolter needs to have a serious rate of fire boost. Second, it sounds like a compressed-air nail gun. A bolter is supposed to be a visceral, destructive weapon, there is no way you could remain faithful to the weapon and keep any sort of balance to vanilla Doom gameplay. Its GOTTA be overpowered, sound like a fucking beast, and fire rapidly. Shots should gib anything that isn't a pinkie as this is the lore of the weapon. Read it if you don't believe me. https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Bolter

Do these fixes and you will be well on your way.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I agree with the suggestions above regarding sound and rof. Additonally, I would like to see a small explosion effect on impact (just visually). It's great that someone's working on a 40k-project.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

warman2012 wrote:Ok, I like the fact someone tried a 40k weapon mod. Here's my two bits based upon your video, first your bolter needs to have a serious rate of fire boost. Second, it sounds like a compressed-air nail gun. A bolter is supposed to be a visceral, destructive weapon, there is no way you could remain faithful to the weapon and keep any sort of balance to vanilla Doom gameplay. Its GOTTA be overpowered, sound like a fucking beast, and fire rapidly. Shots should gib anything that isn't a pinkie as this is the lore of the weapon. Read it if you don't believe me. https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Bolter

Since there are no any information about bolters rates of fire, and since nobody mentions default bolter as "enough dakka shoota", I take rate of fire from the above dawn of war 2.
Same for sounds. I take it from dan of war 2 and it sounds....okay to me. I can use sound of actual 20 mm cannon, which sounds like "BOooooooooooom...and echo.wmp" but then you cant hear some sneaky imp behind you back. Its only lack of "rocket_fly.ogg" sound.

And I know what a destructive power it have on the wiki pages. But that only on wiki page.
In games/films/books/etc. it still pretty strong, I do not argue. But it definitely not a weapon shoot of which can fly 10 meters, pierce brick wall, fly another twenty meter, pierce wooden wall, another five meter, second wooden wall, another five meters, than two steel walls of a trailer, fly final ten meter and pierce metal car hood and stuck in a gas tank. Despite the fact that all lore stuff says that this is happens every time it shoot.
I know that I exaggerated a little, but making it too powerful, like kill imps and pinky in one shoot, breaks map flow. Because most of a doom enemies ARE imps and pinky or even weaker, and four enemies type than can withstand more than one shoot from it, baron, knight, archvile and mancubus, occurs very rarely, to make weapon balance turns around them as main treat to the player. . Runs around a level and instakill everyone is not funny, in long term perspective, because without challenge to you any game become boring. Its not a russian overkill after all.
It kills imp and shotguner from one shoot, and sometimes even tear it, with default bolt type. It has enough power for now.

Heh...and if you want FAITHFUL bolter, than it MUST miss in any distance further than point blank range approximately 1 shot from 3, plus to miss chance if shoots at distance greater than half of a weapon max shoot distance, minus to miss chance if its a terminator/marine dont move on previous turn/near marine epic commander like calgar or guilliman/if target didnt move on previous turn/etc...
Cherno wrote:I agree with the suggestions above regarding sound and rof. Additonally, I would like to see a small explosion effect on impact (just visually). It's great that someone's working on a 40k-project.
You mean "visual indication that projectile hit something and break target/itself"? I working on it.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Apeirogon wrote:
warman2012 wrote:Ok, I like the fact someone tried a 40k weapon mod. Here's my two bits based upon your video, first your bolter needs to have a serious rate of fire boost. Second, it sounds like a compressed-air nail gun. A bolter is supposed to be a visceral, destructive weapon, there is no way you could remain faithful to the weapon and keep any sort of balance to vanilla Doom gameplay. Its GOTTA be overpowered, sound like a fucking beast, and fire rapidly. Shots should gib anything that isn't a pinkie as this is the lore of the weapon. Read it if you don't believe me. https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Bolter

Since there are no any information about bolters rates of fire, and since nobody mentions default bolter as "enough dakka shoota", I take rate of fire from the above dawn of war 2.
Same for sounds. I take it from dan of war 2 and it sounds....okay to me. I can use sound of actual 20 mm cannon, which sounds like "BOooooooooooom...and echo.wmp" but then you cant hear some sneaky imp behind you back. Its only lack of "rocket_fly.ogg" sound.

And I know what a destructive power it have on the wiki pages. But that only on wiki page.
In games/films/books/etc. it still pretty strong, I do not argue. But it definitely not a weapon shoot of which can fly 10 meters, pierce brick wall, fly another twenty meter, pierce wooden wall, another five meter, second wooden wall, another five meters, than two steel walls of a trailer, fly final ten meter and pierce metal car hood and stuck in a gas tank. Despite the fact that all lore stuff says that this is happens every time it shoot.
I know that I exaggerated a little, but making it too powerful, like kill imps and pinky in one shoot, breaks map flow. Because most of a doom enemies ARE imps and pinky or even weaker, and four enemies type than can withstand more than one shoot from it, baron, knight, archvile and mancubus, occurs very rarely, to make weapon balance turns around them as main treat to the player. . Runs around a level and instakill everyone is not funny, in long term perspective, because without challenge to you any game become boring. Its not a russian overkill after all.
It kills imp and shotguner from one shoot, and sometimes even tear it, with default bolt type. It has enough power for now.

Heh...and if you want FAITHFUL bolter, than it MUST miss in any distance further than point blank range approximately 1 shot from 3, plus to miss chance if shoots at distance greater than half of a weapon max shoot distance, minus to miss chance if its a terminator/marine dont move on previous turn/near marine epic commander like calgar or guilliman/if target didnt move on previous turn/etc...
Cherno wrote:I agree with the suggestions above regarding sound and rof. Additonally, I would like to see a small explosion effect on impact (just visually). It's great that someone's working on a 40k-project.
You mean "visual indication that projectile hit something and break target/itself"? I working on it.
I meant to say its needs to gib enemies BELOW a pinkie. My bad for that one. As far as it being Russian Overkill, its kinda what 40K is SUPPOSED to be, somewhat. I agree that a bolter shell doing what you describe in going through so many walls is a bit ludicrous. I don't think tank rounds do that kind of thing. In any case, just change the sound and ROF and you should be on your way. :D
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

It's gotta be much louder and have FUCKHUEG fireballs for muzzle blasts - think commissars BLAMMing their insubordinate guardsmen.
Bofubutt

Post by Bofubutt »

EddieMann wrote:It's gotta be much louder and have FUCKHUEG fireballs for muzzle blasts - think commissars BLAMMing their insubordinate guardsmen.
This just makes me wish someone would make a Sly Marbo Doom mod.

OP, I would recommend you watch the gameplay videos for Space Marine. The bolters there are definitely more representative of the rate of fire and visceral effect that the lore describes. The boltgun is also a "Rapid Fire" weapon on the tabletop, with the same rate of fire as an autogun or lasgun, which are always depicted as quick-firing.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

I found a different sound from the Fallout 4 Bolter mod and used it. Sounds more beefy now.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

warman2012 wrote:I found a different sound from the Fallout 4 Bolter mod and used it. Sounds more beefy now.
If you're interested I could make some bolter sounds for you.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”