Doom Rebalanced - A vanilla-inspired rebalance mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Boondorl

Re: Doom Rebalanced - A simple vanilla-styled rebalance mod

Post by Boondorl »

Huh, didn't even know that was a thing. Generally I try not to leave things more broken than they started, so I'll look into fixing it. Also noticed that 3.7.2 causes a weird pitch problem in the zombie enemies, but I don't know if that's caused by a bug or a bugfix since the CMF_BADPITCH flag is causing it.
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

Beta 4 has arrived! Not much to say about this one. An important crash fix for summoning friendly enemies, further tweaking of weapons (this time geared towards cheats), fullscreen options, the enemy melee toggle, and an important fix for Revenants being dopey. Enemies in general are slightly more intelligent now as well. I'm pretty happy with the set of features I have so this'll likely be the last beta before full release. If everything goes smoothly expect this version to transition into 1.0 next week.
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

I tested this out and I gotta say. It's actually a decent balancing mod in my humble opinion.

Only thing I didn't like is how the weapons raise at the speed of light.
Dklark

Post by Dklark »

NeonLights95 wrote:I tested this out and I gotta say. It's actually a decent balancing mod in my humble opinion.

Only thing I didn't like is how the weapons raise at the speed of light.

That's one of the main things I like so much about it. But eh, to each his own.
wintertowns

Post by wintertowns »

Just wanted to congratulate on Beta 4, all feels fine to me. Looking forward to full release :twisted: .
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

v1.0 is finally out! It's been a while since I've updated this (and this update has been ready for a really long time...) but I didn't have the energy to get around to doing the post modifying needed. I have some downtime though and figured now would be a better time than ever since I'm incredibly busy with school at the moment and finally have a break. The changelog has been updated to reflect being v1.0 but there are some very important tweaks in this update. More fullscreen HUD options, some bug fixes to make enemies more consistent, but most importantly some behavioral changes to the BFG and shotguns that fixes a few issues. Unfortunately these changes mean your old saves are very likely to break. They'll throw an error if:
  • The level had a BFG on it that you hadn't picked up yet
  • You saved in the middle of pumping or reloading a shotgun
I apologize for the inconvenience, but such is the life of beta testing and it's very unlikely this will ever be an issue again.

In the mean time I've been working on a mod for another id Software game that arguably needs it much more. Quake Rebalanced is in the works and has a similar goal to this mod: make the weapon variety better, rebalance the items, clean up messy item management, and make the enemies smarter and scarier. The mod is very far along and hopefully I can get a release up sometime soon over at QuakeOne.
thewolfman00001

Post by thewolfman00001 »

I hate to bump an inactive thread like this, but do you think you will ever put out another update for this mod that includes new gameplay features? Doom Rebalanced is by far one of my favourite mods out there and is an inspiration for me to start making rebalance mods of my own
Helion

Post by Helion »

The BFG no damage falloff (area of effect) is pretty extreme, I used to abuse the close range "rays" that disperse from the player character, but now I don't even have to, it is way too powerful now.
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

I actually already have a new update out over at DoomWorld. I've just been too lazy to update it here yet.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... lance-mod/

Sorry for the delay, I'll get around to it eventually. No new features but it does have some clean up and I've already done some more work to clean up partial invisibility a bit. Not really sure what else I would want to add at the moment, but I'm sure I'll think of stuff.
Helion wrote:The BFG no damage falloff (area of effect) is pretty extreme, I used to abuse the close range "rays" that disperse from the player character, but now I don't even have to, it is way too powerful now.
Yeah, I've been thinking about halving the range so the diameter matches the original BFG's range. It's kinda tough though because it's not as powerful for single target as the default so I need to make sure it's actually worth using, especially with the improved Plasma Rifle actually competing with it. That's one of the reasons I added an option to use the vanilla BFG since I know it can also break things like slaughtermaps pretty hard.
TheVanessii
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom Rebalanced - A vanilla-inspired rebalance mod

Post by TheVanessii »

The pistol is more powerful & accurate than the chaingun XD

Return to “Gameplay Mods”