DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer [v5a] (21-12-19)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer [v5a] (21-12-19)

Postby Dutchygamer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am

kalensar wrote:
brnclandonald wrote:I have a strange glitch I'm seeking a fix for. I'm using a LOT of mods but my map is Extermination Day (EDayTest001) with Project Brutality, for what that's worth. Also Ultimate Doom Visor 2.13 and playing on UDV Hardcore difficulty. Here is the glitch; This big huge monstrosity spawns called "Infernal" on some levels and I have no problem with that. But when it dies the level ends. This is leaving some levels uncompletable, like map 14, Warzone, as an Infernal spawns at the start and is soon enough killed off by npc marines in tanks. Is there some option in Project Brutality/GZDoom/Randomizer to prevent this or do I need to disable the appearance of the beast?

The issue you are encountering has to do with Monster Flags. Apparently that particular map you are on in Extermination Day is set to win condition of Boss Death, and same for the others that your issue has happened with. Basically the specific monster is replacing the normal monster that would have the win condition attached to, same as E2M8, and you are killing the boss and thus beating the level. My opinion is that you probably shouldn't run a monster randomizer on Extermination Day if you want to avoid is issue.

Basicly that yeah. Project Brutality is one of those gameplay mods that does its own monster replacement alongside its gameplay changes. I highly recommend against running those kind of gameplay mods with additional monster randomizer mods, as that is asking for all kind of troubles like you describe.
Dutchygamer

Postby ClessxAlghazanth » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:45 pm

-GC
-DMR (or other monster replacer mods)
-Universal GC patch
-LDL
-Champions
-Corruption Card

I used to think that all mods that effect monsters should come fore the Universal GC patch , are these 3 are exceptions for that ? :roll:

Anyway , thanks a lot , I finaly got the mods working and having a blast with them ! Finally a challange for the dragon :D
ClessxAlghazanth

Postby Dutchygamer » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:16 am

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:
-GC
-DMR (or other monster replacer mods)
-Universal GC patch
-LDL
-Champions
-Corruption Card

I used to think that all mods that effect monsters should come fore the Universal GC patch , are these 3 are exceptions for that ? :roll:

Anyway , thanks a lot , I finaly got the mods working and having a blast with them ! Finally a challange for the dragon :D

Good to hear you are having fun with it again :)
As for your question about load order: it depends on the mod in what order you need to load.
Rule of thumb I use: first gameplay mod, then monster replacer, then universal adapters/patches, and then whatever mods there are remaining.

Long story short: how you get monster randomizer mods to work is that they replace an original monster (say an Imp) with whatever monster (or monsters) the mod defines. This is how DMR works. The original DMR Guncaster patch then again does an additional replacement of those replacement monsters to get all the Guncaster additionals (gore, drops) to work. As you can imagine, the more monsters you've added originally, the more work it takes for a patch mod to fix all these monsters, not to mention how easy it is to make a mistake.

On the other hand, you also have mods that use some black majiq to effect all monsters (or entities) across the board without having to replace each individual monster. This is how mods like LegenDoomLite, Champions and the Universal GC patch work.
Upsides: much less replacements necessary to get whatever you want to work, and (in theory) compatibility with most if not all monster randomizer mods.
Downsides: it may require additional work for the monster randomizer mod author to get some of the more special things to work (like say how much loot is dropped), and there is little room for unique things per monster. In example, for the DMR GC patch there are some special drops for certain monsters (ie Core Defender has a 0.1% chance to drop a Powersuit). There is no easy way to get this to work when you run DMR with just the Universal GC patch.

Finally, Corruption Cards works on an even more global scale then previous category of mods, as it can effect not just monsters, but also the player or even entire maps. However, technically they work similarly as described above.

As you can imagine, load order is important. If you load an universal patch first which update all monsters, and then load a monster randomizer which completely overrides the (updated) monsters with new monsters, then the effects of the universal patch are overridden as well. If you load them the other way around, the universal patch updates the replacement monsters, and then you have both :)
Dutchygamer

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods