[Hideous Destructor] Corruptor of Humanity

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Eric_

[Hideous Destructor] Corruptor of Humanity

Post by Eric_ »

Click the orb to search for another world to invade.

What is this?
Corruptor of Humanity (previously known simply as Red Eye Orb to those who've helped in playtesting) is a hybrid PVE/PVP gamemode for Hideous Destructor, supporting 2 to 6 players. As you might've guessed, it takes heavy inspiration from the invasion mechanics of the Dark Souls series. One player attempts to clear the map with the help of up to three allies. Up to two invaders serve as counterbalances working alongside the enemies to kill the host and his friends.

Why would you do that? Hideous Destructor was painful enough already.
Because invading is fun and From Software won't make a new game so I have to do their job for them. And while I could've done this for any mod, I find HD's toolset to be the most useful and enjoyable by far for this gameplay style. Turning game journalist memes into reality is just a bonus.

How does it work?
Connection order determines players' roles. Player 1 serves as the host. They have one chance to make it from the start of the map to the end with the blue skull key that's needed to unblock the exit. Player 2 is the first invader. They are provided all keys and a Red Eye Orb that prevents enemies from targeting them, and can choose from three spawn locations in the map. The orb respawns every five minutes, but the invader can enter the map without it if they don't mind being attacked by everything. Players 3, 4 and 5 are co-operators who have to be manually "summoned" by the host using switches at the start of the level. Player 6 is a second invader with all the same tools as the first.

How do I play this?
Download the mod by clicking the orb above and follow the included instructions.txt. If you don't have friends who will play with you, or don't quite understand the eldritch workings of GZDoom netplay, you're more than welcome to join the HD Discord and ask for games there.

What does it look like?
Screenshots wouldn't show much, since I've added all of one new sprite (and you can see that at the top of the post) and a few very uninspiring spawn rooms to some IWAD maps. Here's some clips from testing sessions, and an artist's rendition of the events of a session I forgot to record.

What maps does this work with?
While I'd love to make it work anywhere, unfortunately, careful preparation plays too great a role in invasion dynamics for me to let the game randomize anything, so I have to edit maps individually. The modifications are fairly quick and easy, so it won't take long to flesh out this list. Suggestions are more than welcome.
Spoiler: Map list
Please load doom.wad as a PWAD to provide the missing resources for the Doom 1 maps, or use Wadsmoosh. It wouldn't surprise me if some TNT or Plutonia maps ended up in the list down the line, so Wadsmoosh would be a more futureproof option.

What doesn't work about this?
Because I've not modified any of HD's mechanics, and this just runs on normal co-op, not everything in the game knows what the players are actually doing.
Spoiler: Known issues
Could this work with other mods besides HD?
Technically, yes. The spawn rooms will be full of unknown actors, but the basic gamemode will otherwise function normally. Some invader spawns may be difficult to escape from or take advantage of without HD's tools and mechanics. Try it at your own risk.

Are you going to apologize for this?
No.
Spoiler: Credits
Last edited by Eric_ on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medicris

Re: [Hideous Destructor] Corruptor of Humanity

Post by Medicris »

This can only end in tears.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

😂😂😂
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

I thought no one made mods for GZDoom multiplayer? Mind making this Zandro-compatible though?

Anyways, this concept seems pretty cool and it would be great to try it but my internet is 2slow.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

TDRR wrote:I thought no one made mods for GZDoom multiplayer? Mind making this Zandro-compatible though?
This mod is intended to be used as a mutator with another GZDoom mod, Hideous Destructor, which only works on GZDoom (since Zandronum doesn't support ZScript). As Eric noted, this may work standalone or with other mods, but is not guaranteed because it relies on many of HD's mechanics and items.

8-)
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Caligari87 wrote:
TDRR wrote:I thought no one made mods for GZDoom multiplayer? Mind making this Zandro-compatible though?
This mod is intended to be used as a mutator with another GZDoom mod, Hideous Destructor, which only works on GZDoom (since Zandronum doesn't support ZScript). As Eric noted, this may work standalone or with other mods, but is not guaranteed because it relies on many of HD's mechanics and items.

8-)
There's a version that did run in Zandro, though.
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Is that fleshy blob with a eyeball in the mod?
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

TDRR wrote:There's a version that did run in Zandro, though.
That version is so old that it lacks half the tools and mechanics that make this so fun. Anyway, I guess I'll convert the orb back to DECORATE for the next version since it doesn't really do anything requiring ZScript anyway. It'll technically be Zandronum-compatible then.
Gorman Frebmane wrote:Is that fleshy blob with a eyeball in the mod?
Of course it is. It's the invader's Red Eye Orb.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”