The Arcane Wanderer - Updated 05/12/19

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: The Arcane Wanderer [Hexen/Heretic/Doom] - First release

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thorogrimm wrote:Heya, I'm loving the mod so far! I like the mixture of a sort of Witcher element with Doom there, and the weapons handle really well. Just a quick question-- is there any possiblity you'd be able to implement a way to get magick points easier? There aren't many maps which provide sufficient amounts of potions, which kinda takes away from the fun of the spells if you get my drift. Perhaps the enemies you kill have a chance of dropping magicka?
Additional spell would be pretty neat as well such as a damage over time spell, a freeze spell or something you can learn in order to gain new powerful spells?
Hope you're still active with this mod as I'd greatly look forward to future updates! :)
Thanks! Additional spells would be kinda tricky to pull off, but definitely I'll be doing something to compensate the mana regeneration for the next update.
Fureyon wrote:Played it extensively, almost got through the entire Doom 2 campaign.
So here's my feedback:

As other users have already mentioned, the grenade launcher doesn't travel far enough, it would also be good if it dealt a little more damage. I play with damnums, so my commentary on damage is that it usually will deal about the same damage as a shotgun blast. And the shotgun does go much further. The pistol, the shotgun and the AK are pretty good though, I don't see anything wrong with those. My only gripe with the other guns is the forced reload when you try to fire at 0 ammo, and would request that you create a CVAR to disable automatic reloads. Getting into a long reload animation is bad when simply switching to the pistol or another gun to finish the job would be better.

Also as others have mentioned, the spells are very underpowered. Save for the buffing spells, all direct attack spells are actually much worse than the guns. A fireball will do somewhere between 25-100 damage, which is pretty bad considering the travel time of the projectile. They are all expensive considering a fireball costs 10 mana and you only got 50 at the beginning. Also no mana regen, but you're already onto it. I would suggest you replace the fire talisman secondary for a flamethrower kind of spell, so we have something that is capable of continuous damage. The ice talisman feels like a joke, even spamming the trap is pretty bad and costly. The most useful "attack" spell is by far the wind talisman, since it buffs reload time and speed, thus making the guns better. In what is supposed to be a magic focused mod that isn't necessarily ideal.

Speaking of the talismans, pressing the use key to "equip" a spell is a bit clunky, I feel it'd be much better if you also had a pair of keys to quickcast spell 1 or 2 from the selected Talisman or just directly cast a favorited spell or something. You could also do with reducing the amount of talismans you have, though powerful, switching between them is pretty inconvenient in the middle of a heated battle. Instead of giving us more spells to use, you could instead give us more powerful tools to use, such as buffing your guns and kick with magic. I would also suggest you consider just giving us talisman upgrades, such as making the fireball eventually deal splash damage, in example. It would remove some options, but I feel having better tools is usually better than having a lot of options that kinda cancel each other out. Once you get certain talismans it's no longer worth using the basic elemental spells due to their cost/effectiveness.

Speaking of the kick, I found it pretty slow, and considering the damage it usually does and lack of knockback, I would not consider it a "good" option for close quarters on anything that ain't a zombieman or an imp. It certainly won't be helping you make room to escape, so it's more of a "stealth" option than anything. If you're looking to do things differently I would suggest you replace the kick key with a knife melee, maybe also allow you it to be upgraded with runes. Plenty of mods do quick kicking.

Hope this was at least a bit constructive, and will be looking forward to next version :)
On the last days I've been trying to make a build of the game without any firearms, except a magic bow which drains mana, and subsequently weapon spawns were different types of arrows. But considering the reception given on weapons, maybe going that route would be a bad idea.

So far, most of your suggestions (and sone others as well) are pretty much done! Here's some things that are done for next update:

- beefed spells
- beefed kick
- mana regeneration system
- beefed up grenade launcher
- some new items...

This was copied from the changelog, but it'll be detailed once i release it.

Again, thanks for the friendly reception, everyone!
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I hope a way to take out Romero's head is included (since it's behind a wall, thus requiring splash damage in unmodded Doom 2).
ANTARES74

Post by ANTARES74 »

Nice work boys! Looking forward to the development of this mod.The idea with the magic bow is not bad, but only as a Supplement to the existing Arsenal. I would also like to see some original weapons for melee.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

AvzinElkein wrote:I hope a way to take out Romero's head is included (since it's behind a wall, thus requiring splash damage in unmodded Doom 2).
That's already possible! First, grab the wind amulet. Equip the second spell "Caelipterix", cast it, equip your grenade launcher and fly your way to Icon of Sin's brain. Drop a few grenades in there and you beat the game easier than vanilla.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

GAA1992 wrote: On the last days I've been trying to make a build of the game without any firearms, except a magic bow which drains mana, and subsequently weapon spawns were different types of arrows. But considering the reception given on weapons, maybe going that route would be a bad idea.
To be honest, I would ABSOLUTELY love the mod that is based entirely on the magic combat system. Without any staffs, guns or anything else that is unmportant. With nothing more, no fire arms, no melee, no physical weapons. Just a mod entirely based on Godlike unlimited power of mind and magic. That means you can do absolutely crazy things with your attacks and imagination is limitless on what you could do, from weapons that behave crazy like in abort mod, and grow the power to become even more overpowered beyond russian overkill and guncaster merged together. Fire arms, in all honesty, get old and boring for decades now. Feels weird for a Swedish guy to carry the weapon manufactured by one of his main enemies, namely the AK.
Iniquitatis
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Iniquitatis »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:To be honest, I would ABSOLUTELY love the mod that is based entirely on the magic combat system. Without any staffs, guns or anything else that is unmportant. With nothing more, no fire arms, no melee, no physical weapons. Just a mod entirely based on Godlike unlimited power of mind and magic. That means you can do absolutely crazy things with your attacks and imagination is limitless on what you could do, from weapons that behave crazy like in abort mod, and grow the power to become even more overpowered beyond russian overkill and guncaster merged together. Fire arms, in all honesty, get old and boring for decades now. Feels weird for a Swedish guy to carry the weapon manufactured by one of his main enemies, namely the AK.
Same here. All these mixes of guns and magic feels pretty weird and boring to me, mainly because the latter plays a supportive role.
I'm sure that some mod, where magic is the core gameplay element, would be interesting and fresh.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I like this, would like +1 on weapons.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

I would like to see this mod be magic based, but have like one or 2 magic weapons, like a staff and maybe a sword or something, just to add variation
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Given the polarization surging here, maybe i can leave both builds running to see what would be cooler.

Thanks for your opinions everyone!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: The Arcane Wanderer - Updated 05/12/19

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well... after almost an YEAR, i kinda removed the dust from this particular mod and changed a little bit the gameplay. Some of the feedback stuff was adressed and some not, but i can guarantee this build plays better than the first one!

The link is on the tha main page, or it can be downloaded here!

What you can expect:

- Now you can recharge your mana! Configure the "Meditate" key on the "Extra" menu or "Customize Controls".
- A new weapon was added! The PKM Machinegun replaces the Super Shotgun and can be found in Hexen and Heretic too.
- Kiss the Browning Auto-5 goodbye and let's welcome the Mosin-Nagant Rifle! Gameplay feels a little bit more consistent and it shares ammo with the PKM, balancing the arsenal a little more. Damage is high and firing sound is kinda high, but i'll fix those issues soon. Sprites by Sgt. Shivers.
- Spells were rebalanced in general: Buffing spells reduced mana cost, some OP spells increased their cost, and the Petraphylax earth spell was replaced with an offensive spell that throws powerful rocks at the enemies.
- Weapons were rebalanced a bit in general, increasing their damage a bit.
- The HUD was redrawn since Aracnocide took the first HUD to itself. Informations are less intrusive for players.
- Some items had their sprites changed for better looks.
- Unused files were deleted, lowering total file size (i believe i could make this game go down UNDER 4mb...)
- Fixed some bugs, which doesn't mean all of them, so, if you see something weird, contact me.

I think this is all i can say for now, but please consider leaving a feedback! Have fun.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

the PKM should have a fire rate closer to its IRL counterpart and slightly less recoil to boot.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Indeed the PKM should fire as fast as the AK (3 ticks), but everything was done for the sake of balancing.

;)
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

GAA1992 wrote:Indeed the PKM should fire as fast as the AK (3 ticks), but everything was done for the sake of balancing.

;)
maybe play around with damage for both of them to get an equilibrium?
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

thank you gaa22

yet another cool mod! with realistic guns

i hope you are as nice here as in discord. .. or hte other way arround actually

yet again i will pretend its wolfenstein and use nazi monster mods!
oh yeah!

thankgs gg92!
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

I haven't had much time to tinker with it, but here's some feedback:

-The meditation feels good, I foresee it could become a bit annoying to hold a key for longer periods of time when your mana gets up there, but I also believe that is intentional as you still got the mana pickups.
-The kick feels better, it won't always kill the basic soldier with a single hit due to RNG, but it's been fairly consistent at doing that. The spells feel a lot better as well, so good work there. :)
-The mosin-nagant feels oddly inaccurate at longer ranges, which is odd. The pistol is far more accurate and my pick for long distance encounters. That said, it's pretty beefy up-close, and packs a punch.
-PKM feels good, it fits the purpose of a SShotty nicely, whilst still giving us a different flavor.
-The grenade launcher feels much more consistent now, though I still think it could use some more range.
-I like the new HUD.

Still didn't play enough to get a bunch of different spells, so I'll need to comment on those later.
Overall a nice improvement from the last version, congratulations! :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”