The Arcane Wanderer - Updated 05/12/19

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ImpieTwo

Re: The Arcane Wanderer [Hexen/Heretic/Doom] - First release

Post by ImpieTwo »

erni945 wrote:Tokarev is a pretty cool alternative to the remaining weapons, however, I would stay with the classics and give a revolver
No way, man, stick with the current pistol. Revolvers are always being used in weapons mods, but not the distinct-looking vintage Tokarev, which adds to the immersion.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

GAA1992 wrote:You mean the HUD sprite displayed? One of the HUD options display the current spell selected, but i think it won't hurt to postion a "1" and "2" on ecah amulet as well.
That one. Yes. And yeah, any design difference would be super appreciated!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

UnbornDecay25 wrote:Personally, I felt the spells were really underpowered for their immense mana cost, forcing me to fall back on weapons too often to even take out something like a Pinkie. I know that this isn't Guncaster, but with the basic fireball spell I found that sometimes Imps take only one hit, or they'll tank up to three with no real reason why. Its also hard to aim the bloody things, but that's probably just me being shit at the game

Also it may just me sucking at the game or me being stupid, but I cant for the life of me notice a difference when I pick up Omegaelixers. They say 25+ mana, but I dont see a difference when I pick it up, even if I get more mana right after
The first builds had stronger spells, with Ignespheros dealing more damage than a Mancubus fire ball. While it was cool to sometimes XGib a pinkie with blood mods loaded, Sometimes you could take down a Baron with 3 fireballs. Since nerfing ammo wouldn be the solution in this case, i added the +STRIFEDAMAGE (x4 damage randomization instead oif the usual x8) flag to projectiles in the last minutes, since it seemed less tedious to play.

About the Omegalixirs, have you warped to another map, or resurrected before grabbing this one? Because i used a script for Stacking backpacks straight from the wiki (mana is a type of ammo, named as "RDMN1"). Sometimes it just doesn't work, and while i haven't found what causes the issue, my theory is that it is related to whether the player started a match since map01, oddly enough. i might be very wrong, though.

Also, they don't give mana, only expand it, but i think i'll fix that.
erni945 wrote: 1.Weapons

In general, in my opinion, the weaponry is not bad but I think you should look at the pistol and shotgun in particular. Tokarev is a pretty cool alternative to the remaining weapons, however, I would stay with the classics and give a revolver and when it comes to the shotgun, the auto browing 5 is effective, however in my opinion it is terribly ugly and its appearance discouraged me from using it
If i had to show you the older sprites... =p

Anyway, oddly enough the pistol was actually a S&W 627. It was nice, but after troubles making a proper reload,i had this discussion with some friends and we got to the same conclusion: Revolvers are kinda overused in many games, always being "the badass one hit" weapon, in contrast to tactical-pea-shotting-pistols which have no feeling of power whatsoever. So i thought a cooler choice as a staring weapon would be a bulkier pistol, with no frills about its presentation. First i thought on a Colt 1911, but soon after, the TT33 seemed a nice choice (also, you don't see it too often in Doom mods =p).
erni945 wrote: 2.Player Sprite
We're working on it ;)
erni945 wrote: 3.Spells

Spells are generally ok but in my opinion you should give a little more mana at the start because in the beginning using other spells is sometimes too difficult but the rest is perfectly ok :wink:
Hmmm, good to know that. Maybe the mana regeneration CVAR can help when it is done.
erni945 wrote: As for the rest, I like the fact that there is the possibility of kicking opponents here, but I think you should add footsteps. By the way, what about the rest of the projects? Are you planning to return to Ultra Crispy?
I've received complaints about the footsteps lately, but i think i can make them optional, like in Factotum. Speaking of other mods, i do plan to go back to Ultra Crispy, because i have TONS of new things to wiork with, many of them being contributions of other modders/players, and that makes me very happy. But i don't want to make it go "push comes to shove". =)
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

The first builds had stronger spells, with Ignespheros dealing more damage than a Mancubus fire ball. While it was cool to sometimes XGib a pinkie with blood mods loaded, Sometimes you could take down a Baron with 3 fireballs. Since nerfing ammo wouldn be the solution in this case, i added the +STRIFEDAMAGE (x4 damage randomization instead oif the usual x8) flag to projectiles in the last minutes, since it seemed less tedious to play.

About the Omegalixirs, have you warped to another map, or resurrected before grabbing this one? Because i used a script for Stacking backpacks straight from the wiki (mana is a type of ammo, named as "RDMN1"). Sometimes it just doesn't work, and while i haven't found what causes the issue, my theory is that it is related to whether the player started a match since map01, oddly enough. i might be very wrong, though.

Also, they don't give mana, only expand it, but i think i'll fix that.
Thanks for clearing it up. I think something that would help my frustration with the magic, personally, is a bit more indication that you even connected the spell, aside from the usual pain noise. A little bit more of a flourish perhaps, but I know that must be hell to animate. Think I'll go a full run with this and see how the other spells work after....

The Omegaelixers are fixed. Now, on a clean version of GZDoom. <Methinks I'm in the 3.5 range> the Omegaelixers just fail to work. I picked up one in the first map of Doom 2 and couldn't pick up any Elixers after until I used magic, and even then I still couldnt pick up any more than 100. I then went to Map 3, <By using the long, boring way of playing normally> and the Omegaelixer there didnt help either.
LowEndPCGamer100

Post by LowEndPCGamer100 »

Really cool mod, tested it out earlier today and i'm excited to see the hopefully forthcoming progress
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Another cool-looking mod from one of my favorite modders. I've always been a sucker for Psychic-style dual wielding between weapons and abilities; combined with your natural aptitude for gunfeel, this is gonna be a blast.

Please keep up the good work!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

UnbornDecay25 wrote: Thanks for clearing it up. I think something that would help my frustration with the magic, personally, is a bit more indication that you even connected the spell, aside from the usual pain noise. A little bit more of a flourish perhaps, but I know that must be hell to animate. Think I'll go a full run with this and see how the other spells work after....
A hell to animate, no; actually it's a good damn idea.
UnbornDecay25 wrote: The Omegaelixers are fixed. Now, on a clean version of GZDoom. <Methinks I'm in the 3.5 range> the Omegaelixers just fail to work. I picked up one in the first map of Doom 2 and couldn't pick up any Elixers after until I used magic, and even then I still couldnt pick up any more than 100. I then went to Map 3, <By using the long, boring way of playing normally> and the Omegaelixer there didnt help either.
That's really strange. I think i am going to ask this on the scripting session.
LowEndPCGamer100 wrote:Really cool mod, tested it out earlier today and i'm excited to see the hopefully forthcoming progress
TerminusEst13 wrote:Another cool-looking mod from one of my favorite modders. I've always been a sucker for Psychic-style dual wielding between weapons and abilities; combined with your natural aptitude for gunfeel, this is gonna be a blast.

Please keep up the good work!
This is ALWAYS good to read. Makes my day. Thank you guys!
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

Thank you. It will turn a mod that can be frustraitingly stingy to a mod that makes you feel powerful to a fault.
The Philosopher
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by The Philosopher »

It looks really good GAA!
I had a similar idea but jist my PC died
One question: are you gonna replace the enemies? or add new ones?
i havent tested yet though i will install Delta Touch just for this mod
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Enemies, no. But lots of ideas are going to change related to magic spells ;)
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Problem with the guns is that they shoot a bit too slow, don't carry enough ammo (tokarev should hold 8 rounds, auto 5 holding, well, 5 rounds) and take quite a while to reload.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

The spells feels very weak, and the whole gameplay system desperately needs an passive mana regen (or any other method of obtaining mana while being item-independent, like charging it while not fighting and holding some button for meditation). It took me 4 ice spikes to kill a single imp, and two fireballs while drain all mana like hell. It's indeed very underpowered.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:(like charging it while not fighting and holding some button for meditation).
Of course! This is actually a great idea! I spent some hours thinking on ways to drain mana or regen mana without going too buggy. A specific key to concentrate and regenerate mana over time would definitely do the trick!

Also, i noted down to buff spells, thank you!
Thorogrimm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Thorogrimm »

Heya, I'm loving the mod so far! I like the mixture of a sort of Witcher element with Doom there, and the weapons handle really well. Just a quick question-- is there any possiblity you'd be able to implement a way to get magick points easier? There aren't many maps which provide sufficient amounts of potions, which kinda takes away from the fun of the spells if you get my drift. Perhaps the enemies you kill have a chance of dropping magicka?
Additional spell would be pretty neat as well such as a damage over time spell, a freeze spell or something you can learn in order to gain new powerful spells?
Hope you're still active with this mod as I'd greatly look forward to future updates! :)
Fureyon

Post by Fureyon »

Played it extensively, almost got through the entire Doom 2 campaign.
So here's my feedback:

As other users have already mentioned, the grenade launcher doesn't travel far enough, it would also be good if it dealt a little more damage. I play with damnums, so my commentary on damage is that it usually will deal about the same damage as a shotgun blast. And the shotgun does go much further. The pistol, the shotgun and the AK are pretty good though, I don't see anything wrong with those. My only gripe with the other guns is the forced reload when you try to fire at 0 ammo, and would request that you create a CVAR to disable automatic reloads. Getting into a long reload animation is bad when simply switching to the pistol or another gun to finish the job would be better.

Also as others have mentioned, the spells are very underpowered. Save for the buffing spells, all direct attack spells are actually much worse than the guns. A fireball will do somewhere between 25-100 damage, which is pretty bad considering the travel time of the projectile. They are all expensive considering a fireball costs 10 mana and you only got 50 at the beginning. Also no mana regen, but you're already onto it. I would suggest you replace the fire talisman secondary for a flamethrower kind of spell, so we have something that is capable of continuous damage. The ice talisman feels like a joke, even spamming the trap is pretty bad and costly. The most useful "attack" spell is by far the wind talisman, since it buffs reload time and speed, thus making the guns better. In what is supposed to be a magic focused mod that isn't necessarily ideal.

Speaking of the talismans, pressing the use key to "equip" a spell is a bit clunky, I feel it'd be much better if you also had a pair of keys to quickcast spell 1 or 2 from the selected Talisman or just directly cast a favorited spell or something. You could also do with reducing the amount of talismans you have, though powerful, switching between them is pretty inconvenient in the middle of a heated battle. Instead of giving us more spells to use, you could instead give us more powerful tools to use, such as buffing your guns and kick with magic. I would also suggest you consider just giving us talisman upgrades, such as making the fireball eventually deal splash damage, in example. It would remove some options, but I feel having better tools is usually better than having a lot of options that kinda cancel each other out. Once you get certain talismans it's no longer worth using the basic elemental spells due to their cost/effectiveness.

Speaking of the kick, I found it pretty slow, and considering the damage it usually does and lack of knockback, I would not consider it a "good" option for close quarters on anything that ain't a zombieman or an imp. It certainly won't be helping you make room to escape, so it's more of a "stealth" option than anything. If you're looking to do things differently I would suggest you replace the kick key with a knife melee, maybe also allow you it to be upgraded with runes. Plenty of mods do quick kicking.

Hope this was at least a bit constructive, and will be looking forward to next version :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”