[0.2.1] Se7evidas (RPG mod for Doom) | Updated 2018/11/30

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should I make dev logs?

Yes - Dev log videos.
25%
Yes - Dev log posts.
19%
Yes - Some videos, some text.
56%
No.
No votes

Total votes : 32

Re: [0.1] Se7evidas - Public alpha (RPG mod for Doom)

Postby phantombeta » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Zhs2 wrote:And as to not having a backup weapon, I see some classes are just set up to be juked that way - which is not completely evident just selecting them from the class select menu. The first two classes I tried were Runner and Enforcer, which both start with pretty much the same SMG-only loadout. Rifleman starts with two weapons and no grenades, which seems considerably better than having to learn the hard way that not having a backup weapon means not being able to shoot anything until you can safely use the buy menu.

W- What.
Runner starts with the 9mm SMG, Enforcer starts with the 20ga shotgun and a revolver, and the rifleman most definitely starts with grenades - 4 of them, even. I have no idea what's going on there, but something's definitely wrong.

A good future suggestion is changing up the player class menu to show exactly what you start with, for consideration before even starting.

That's actually been planned for a few days.
phantombeta
Tired of being treated like trash by control freaks

Re: [0.1] Se7evidas - Public alpha (RPG mod for Doom)

Postby Zhs2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Ah, huh. And now that I double check, I guess I selected Runner both times. I swear I picked Enforcer though...

Anyway, one more thing I missed:
phantombeta wrote:As for the menu being "slow and flat", I don't really get this. Other people praised the menu, at least for its looks.
"Slow" as in you often need to navigate through quite a few options to buy the exact thing you need, especially in the heat of battle, and "flat" as in there's not much feedback yet, like sounds or other subtle yet popping elements that say, hey, you did something or went somewhere. Like in DoomRPG when the screen flashes briefly to say you bought something. The menu works, but like the rest of this release it's still very much alpha quality.
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: [0.2] Se7evidas - Public alpha (RPG mod for Doom)

Postby phantombeta » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:45 pm

0.2 Alpha released!

Download links:

Changelog:
Major changes:
  • Added a quick buy ammo key.
  • Added an additional medium weapon slot upgrade.
  • Added a key display to the minimal HUD.
  • Added the Caesar Chaingun.
  • Rebalanced the shotguns slightly.
  • Smoother weapon selection animations.
Minor changes:
  • Fixed the shop allowing you to select more than you can carry or sell.
  • Deassigning your currently held weapon now deselects it.
  • Added an ammo counter for the Ion Cannon.
  • Slightly rebalanced the 9mm weapons.
  • Canteen refills no longer count towards the items count.
  • Made the ammo bars on the minimal HUD look better.
  • Made bullet impacts much quieter.
  • Fixed broken help menu text.
  • Decreased the Manx Carbine's recoil.
  • Minor bug fixes.
Last edited by phantombeta on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phantombeta

Re: [0.2] Se7evidas (RPG mod for Doom) | Updated 2018/11/29

Postby StroggVorbis » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Just tested the new version and instantly noticed that the jittering was gone. You actually bothered to remove it. Now the mod's enjoyable for me too, thanks for that :)
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby phantombeta » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:10 pm

I didn't actually remove anything, I just forced the yaw/pitch interpolation to always be on. Pretty much the same as having the Smooth Mouse Movement option on.
Ridiculously janky, but hey, as long as it works.
phantombeta

Postby UnbornDecay25 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:11 pm

Been running through 0.2 and I like it a good deal more. However, it brings with it its own suite of issues. First off, with 0.1 I never had a crash, I've crashed twice when playing now. (PS. It does seem to be when I was switching weapons in my loadout)
Another bizzare glitch I found which is game breaking was when I was specing my character after leveling up, I returned to gameplay to find all my weapons had vanished, the knife refused to work, and I couldnt even IDKFA my way to regaining them. Not even the good old 'spawn classic doom weapon' command saved me, I was stuck in a limbo. Killing myself worked, but that was a lot of process I had to retake. Now, I do think I was using a stimpack or Medkit at the time.
While on the subject of healing, I ended up using the stimpacks and medkits more, and I think the medkits need a buff. I found it easier and more effecient to spam stimpacks due to them being faster and more plentiful.
And, I know last time I said the Shadowsphere was awesome despite the harsh visual effects, but I found that ALL weapons act as if silenced. This may have been a design choice, and if so, no problem. But if its supposed to be silenced weapons only, I stood there for about thirty seconds unloading the Lucifer into the Baron replacement and he never budged.

I REALLY love the new gun though, that is a 'anything in that general direction must die' gun if I've ever played with one
And if you toned down the Shadowsphere, thank you. If not, it seemed less painful now. All in all, a good improvement on every level except the technical issues. But hey, its a work in progress, I expect things like that to happen
UnbornDecay25

Postby phantombeta » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm

UnbornDecay25 wrote:Been running through 0.2 and I like it a good deal more. However, it brings with it its own suite of issues. First off, with 0.1 I never had a crash, I've crashed twice when playing now. (PS. It does seem to be when I was switching weapons in my loadout)

Ugh. Probably something to do with a fix I did.
Was it an actual crash, or did it kick you to the console? If it was the latter, please post a screenshot of the console if it happens again. Nevermind, I'm pretty sure I just found the crash.

Another bizzare glitch I found which is game breaking was when I was specing my character after leveling up, I returned to gameplay to find all my weapons had vanished, the knife refused to work, and I couldnt even IDKFA my way to regaining them. Not even the good old 'spawn classic doom weapon' command saved me, I was stuck in a limbo. Killing myself worked, but that was a lot of process I had to retake. Now, I do think I was using a stimpack or Medkit at the time.

That's... Weird. Please notify me if you find a way to reproduce that bug - there's no reason for that to happen. If you have any more info on it (such as what you were doing, if you had any powerups), please do tell me.
I do have an idea on what it could be, but I might be wrong.

While on the subject of healing, I ended up using the stimpacks and medkits more, and I think the medkits need a buff. I found it easier and more effecient to spam stimpacks due to them being faster and more plentiful.

They probably do. I actually end up using the canteen more than the medikit and stimpack, myself.

And, I know last time I said the Shadowsphere was awesome despite the harsh visual effects, but I found that ALL weapons act as if silenced. This may have been a design choice, and if so, no problem. But if its supposed to be silenced weapons only, I stood there for about thirty seconds unloading the Lucifer into the Baron replacement and he never budged.

That's because it's unfinished. I need to code the AI to correctly react to it - right now monsters just loses their target instantly if it has the Shadowsphere.

I REALLY love the new gun though, that is a 'anything in that general direction must die' gun if I've ever played with one

And if you toned down the Shadowsphere, thank you. If not, it seemed less painful now. All in all, a good improvement on every level except the technical issues. But hey, its a work in progress, I expect things like that to happen

I didn't even touch it, actually. It might be less jittery due to the forced interpolation, though.
phantombeta

Postby UnbornDecay25 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 pm

With the crash, it locked up Gzdoom and then gave the classic "Gzdoom is not working, Windows is trying to.." box

With the weapons dissapearing, I had a stimpack out, so that meant I had no weapon equipped, and I had just put a few stats in. Its gonna be a while to work to that, I'll let you know if it happens again

Reason why I complained about the medpack is cause The Shores Of Hell doesnt really have a lot of Health bonus's or armor, so I had more stimpaks in me than I probably should have.

Also, I forgot about this, but I couldnt find out how to use the Bezerk pack. Even after getting rid of my armor, having full life, having next to none, I could not get that bloody thing to work.

Edit: Trying to replicate the weapons glitch failed. May have had something to do how I was interuppted by a Hellhound halfway through, I dont know
UnbornDecay25

Postby phantombeta » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 pm

With the crash, it locked up Gzdoom and then gave the classic "Gzdoom is not working, Windows is trying to.." box

Yeah, I found that bug and fixed it already. Due to a nasty misfeature of ZScript, a function wasn't working correctly, and an item that was supposed to absolutely always be in the player's inventory (the "unarmed" weapon) wasn't being given in the first place, so whenever you dis-assigned a weapon you had currently equipped by choosing the unassign option, GZDoom would freeze. I didn't catch this when testing because the "give all" cheat gave this weapon too, so it didn't crash.

With the weapons dissapearing, I had a stimpack out, so that meant I had no weapon equipped, and I had just put a few stats in. Its gonna be a while to work to that, I'll let you know if it happens again

If it does happen again, please send me a save file, even if you don't know how to make it happen again. (So it's easier, you can make a save file with a specific name by typing "save <filename>" in the console then pressing the enter key)

Reason why I complained about the medpack is cause The Shores Of Hell doesnt really have a lot of Health bonus's or armor, so I had more stimpaks in me than I probably should have.

That's fine. The mod isn't too well balanced right now anyway.

Also, I forgot about this, but I couldnt find out how to use the Bezerk pack. Even after getting rid of my armor, having full life, having next to none, I could not get that bloody thing to work.

You select it by pressing the "Use item" key on the berserk item in the inventory, then press the fire key to inject it. It's not too useful now, though, and I'm gonna be chan- Oh it's broken. Dammit.
phantombeta

Postby UnbornDecay25 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 pm

You select it by pressing the "Use item" key on the berserk item in the inventory, then press the fire key to inject it. It's not too useful now, though, and I'm gonna be chan- Oh it's broken. Dammit.

I was gonna say. I really like how this is shaping up, so I'll pretty much play any version that comes. Mind updating the 0.2 version so the crash is fixed?
UnbornDecay25

Postby Toberone » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:49 am

Alright I can't extract this for whatever reason, keep trying to do it but it tells me there is an unspecified error 0x80004005. I'm using 7-zip
Toberone

Postby phantombeta » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:10 am

@Toberone
Can you send me the copy of the mod that you downloaded, and your copy of 7-zip?
These zips are made with a Python script, using Python's own ZIP library, so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to extract it.
phantombeta

Postby phantombeta » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:02 pm

0.2.1 Alpha released!

Download links:

Changelog:
Major changes:
  • Fixed a bug where disassigning weapons with the "Unassign" option would freeze the game.
  • Fixed the Berserk.
  • Fixed the Mars Assault Rifle's firing animation.

I made this release with DEFLATE compression instead of LZMA to see if this solves the issue with extracting the files.
phantombeta

Re: [0.2.1] Se7evidas (RPG mod for Doom) | Updated 2018/11/3

Postby Eggs » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 am

I think the glitch where you loose all your weapons happens if you have a stimpack or medkit out and you try to use the quick melee. (I was playing as the Infiltrator Class) I'l try again a few more times to figure this out.
Edit: Just tried it again and it worked, (Again using the Infiltrator Class)
Edit 2 : This works on all classes just tried it out on all of em, same result, no weapons. (I did this on Doom 2 By the way.)
Edit 3 : This Happens on doom 1 too.
Eggs

Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Re: [0.2.1] Se7evidas (RPG mod for Doom) | Updated 2018/11/3

Postby phantombeta » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks. The next release will have this bug fixed.
phantombeta

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods