[0.2.1] Se7evidas (RPG mod for Doom) | Updated 2018/11/30

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should I make dev logs?

Yes - Dev log videos.
25%
Yes - Dev log posts.
19%
Yes - Some videos, some text.
56%
No.
No votes

Total votes : 32

Re: [0.1] Se7evidas - Public alpha (RPG mod for Doom)

Postby StroggVorbis » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:20 am

phantombeta wrote:It's not. This is due to whatever mod you're using combined with it. Removing SPF_INTERPOLATE just makes the recoil look like trash.
(And no, it's not inverted like your bug report on the forums claims it is - it correctly sets the CF_INTERPVIEW flag on the player, just like does)

I'll try it without anything in my autoload then. Does it matter if smooth mouse movement or prescaled mouse input are set to on or off? Because at least it does for me on my system. It might be probably not an issue with GZDoom at all then, but something on my end.

Edit: Nope, I just disabled my autoload and the problem still persists. Equip the Manx Carbine and constantly turn sideways while firing and you should see it, "smooth_mouse" needs to be "0".
As a general rule of thumb, just because it works on your machine doesn't mean it does for everyone else.

I'm not able to record a video of it right now, but can do so tomorrow.

For anyone interested, the thread he refers to is located here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61422

I made that report 5 months ago and as of yet have received no answer. I'd appreciate if a mod or dev could clear up this misunderstanding. Sorry if derailing.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Apeirogon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 pm

I found a bug, I cant zoom in/out automap using mouse wheel. Keys works fine.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby phantombeta » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:52 pm

That's a known bug. Unless either a better way to modify the weapon selection keys or a way to get the bound automap keys is added, there's nothing I can do to fix this.
phantombeta
Tired of being treated like trash by control freaks

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Sem título.png

This is what happens when i either download it from MEGA or Mediafire and try to extract. The GitHub version got me dumb, as i didn't knew how to turn it into a pk3, usually there is a cmd file which executes the action.

As soon as i manage to play this i will post feedback, this seems awesome in many ways. =)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby phantombeta » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Oh, you people are using ancient archivers that don't even support LZMA compression on ZIP files.
Please do yourselves a favour and get a better archiver. :P

As for the GitHub repository, you can either load the "PK3 Source" folder directly into GZDoom or use the Python script to generate a PK3 file.
phantombeta

Postby StroggVorbis » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:19 am

@phantombeta

This video is me having set "Smooth_Mouse" to true, no irregular behavior except for a bit of mouse lag.

https://streamable.com/uv4rg

And this is how it looks like on my side if "Smooth_Mouse" is set to false. Both videos were recorded with 30FPS, but the difference (and issue) should still be noticeable.

https://streamable.com/kftnk

Like I said, the only way (for me at least) to fix this is to open the mod with SLADE and remove every entry of SPF_INTERPOLATE. Do you have any idea why I experience this?
I have had this issue with every other mod that made use of it, be it Final Doomer, WildWeasel's Mixed Tape Vol. 3 or the DUMP3 weapons pack.
It's similar to the issue with Nash's old QTilt on current GZDoom before he made Tilt++.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Postby wildweasel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:51 am

DabbingSquidward wrote:@phantombeta

This video is me having set "Smooth_Mouse" to true, no irregular behavior except for a bit of mouse lag.

And this is how it looks like on my side if "Smooth_Mouse" is set to false. Both videos were recorded with 30FPS, but the difference (and issue) should still be noticeable.

Like I said, the only way (for me at least) to fix this is to open the mod with SLADE and remove every entry of SPF_INTERPOLATE. Do you have any idea why I experience this?
I have had this issue with every other mod that made use of it, be it Final Doomer, WildWeasel's Mixed Tape Vol. 3 or the DUMP3 weapons pack.
It's similar to the issue with Nash's old QTilt on current GZDoom before he made Tilt++.

This appears to be a known bug in GZDoom - in fact, you yourself filed this bug.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Welite » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:56 am

Don't worry about that, It was the compression method that you used. 7-Zip worked just fine
Welite

Discord: 7781

Postby StroggVorbis » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:02 am

wildweasel wrote:
DabbingSquidward wrote:@phantombeta

This appears to be a known bug in GZDoom - in fact, you yourself filed this bug.

phantombeta wrote:
DabbingSquidward wrote:-most weapons cause the view to jitter/stutter when firing: this is caused by the SPF_INTERPOLATE flag. Don't use it, it's bugged.

It's not. This is due to whatever mod you're using combined with it. Removing SPF_INTERPOLATE just makes the recoil look like trash.
(And no, it's not inverted like your bug report on the forums claims it is - it correctly sets the CF_INTERPVIEW flag on the player, just like does)
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Postby wildweasel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Would probably help if a GZDoom dev looked into and commented on the bug thread then...
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Sinael » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 pm

I think I reported on that bug as well a while back. SPF_INTERPOLATE was causing problems in Final Doomer as well IIRC..
Sinael
Russian Ripman

Postby Zhs2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Gave this mod a college try. It's pretty playable for an alpha, but there are too many clunky or frustration-inducing mechanics to it that need addressing before it is fun.

For the most part, it needs a "quick buy ammo" button for the gun you're holding, and BADLY. Running out of ammo is a killer because you need to navigate a slow, flat menu to get any of it back, and any drops are too infrequent to keep the player supplied in any way. I had to deal with a flood of monsters in the E1M3 start room while buying more revolver ammo! This would probably also be mitigated if the player could afford more weapons to switch between, since it seems that for as long as I played the only weapons I could actually afford went into the "light" weapon slot, leaving me no breathing room if I spent all 48 bullets I could carry. Again, a slow, flat menu is the only way to switch back to the starting SMG, which pisses your 9x19mm into oblivion in just killing one enemy. That same menu can also screw you if you raise the number of bullets you want higher than the value you can actually carry with the modifier keys, meaning extra clicks to bring the value back to an amount that works, which continues to leave you open in the same way clicking the plus icon until you hit refill value does. You just can't succeed without a refill no matter the gun you use, and that adds a lot of the frustration factor.

Similarly, grenades are super wonky. Murderous, but wonky. Predicting where they stop is difficult, and pretty much every time I die is trying to save myself with one from an oncoming group. I swear I tossed some grenades off the ledge in E1M2 to kill the monsters below me and only the second grenade actually killed anything. If their behavior can be made more explanatory or at least not inconsistent, that'd be helpful.

And I see from other posts that you can sell things? How do you sell all of those shotguns you can pick up? I don't see a sell button. Better yet, why is most loot not autosold? (I guess shotgun shells have some use, but the shotguns themselves? Or the other useless artifacts?)

On the plus side, the quick melee is very nice. Not sustainable, but nice. Being able to heal on demand has its perks as well, but it doesn't save you from having no ammo. :P
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby phantombeta » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Zhs2 wrote:LOTS OF WORDS

It does, indeed, need a "Quick buy ammo" button. It'll be a bit more complex adding it, though - all weapons will need a reference to the shop item. I'll probably add such a key after I finish converting the selection animations to use A_WeaponOffset. About the buy/sell popup allowing you to go over your maximum carry amount, yes, that also needs to be fixed.
As for the menu being "slow and flat", I don't really get this. Other people praised the menu, at least for its looks.

The 9mm SMG probably needs a buff, yes. I was the only person playtesting it, and a lot of times I couldn't really tell if stuff was too expensive or too weak. That's why I released this public alpha. :wink:

Similarly, grenades are super wonky. Murderous, but wonky. Predicting where they stop is difficult, and pretty much every time I die is trying to save myself with one from an oncoming group. I swear I tossed some grenades off the ledge in E1M2 to kill the monsters below me and only the second grenade actually killed anything. If their behaviour can be made more explanatory or at least not inconsistent, that'd be helpful.

The distance they'll go depends on how long you hold the fire button before letting go. Throwing-wise, it's pretty much a rip-off of Hideous Destructor's hand grenades.

And I see from other posts that you can sell things? How do you sell all of those shotguns you can pick up? I don't see a sell button. Better yet, why is most loot not autosold? (I guess shotgun shells have some use, but the shotguns themselves? Or the other useless artifacts?)

Press tab to switch between buying and selling. It says it right there on the menu, how do you people keep missing this? >_>
As for why loot isn't sold instantly, for three reasons.
First is that it'd mean I'd have to put references to the shop item in all loot items, which would be a pain.
Second is that there's a mission system planned, similar to DoomRPG's - some missions you'll be able to choose will involve retrieving a certain amount of a specific type of loot, which wouldn't be very doable if all loot were sold automatically.
Third is that there's an additional, non-standard shop planned - basically, a black market of sorts. Some of the loot will have a higher price there, so you'd definitely want to keep that loot.
phantombeta

Postby UnbornDecay25 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Zhs2 wrote:Gave this mod a college try. It's pretty playable for an alpha, but there are too many clunky or frustration-inducing mechanics to it that need addressing before it is fun.

For the most part, it needs a "quick buy ammo" button for the gun you're holding, and BADLY. Running out of ammo is a killer because you need to navigate a slow, flat menu to get any of it back, and any drops are too infrequent to keep the player supplied in any way. I had to deal with a flood of monsters in the E1M3 start room while buying more revolver ammo! This would probably also be mitigated if the player could afford more weapons to switch between, since it seems that for as long as I played the only weapons I could actually afford went into the "light" weapon slot, leaving me no breathing room if I spent all 48 bullets I could carry. Again, a slow, flat menu is the only way to switch back to the starting SMG, which pisses your 9x19mm into oblivion in just killing one enemy. That same menu can also screw you if you raise the number of bullets you want higher than the value you can actually carry with the modifier keys, meaning extra clicks to bring the value back to an amount that works, which continues to leave you open in the same way clicking the plus icon until you hit refill value does. You just can't succeed without a refill no matter the gun you use, and that adds a lot of the frustration factor.

Similarly, grenades are super wonky. Murderous, but wonky. Predicting where they stop is difficult, and pretty much every time I die is trying to save myself with one from an oncoming group. I swear I tossed some grenades off the ledge in E1M2 to kill the monsters below me and only the second grenade actually killed anything. If their behavior can be made more explanatory or at least not inconsistent, that'd be helpful.

On the plus side, the quick melee is very nice. Not sustainable, but nice. Being able to heal on demand has its perks as well, but it doesn't save you from having no ammo. :P

About the sell option, it does exist, and it does say it at the bottom of the store, by pressing Tab you go into Sell mode. Trust me, it took half of Knee Deep in the Dead before I saw it, and even then I sold ammo quite often by accident
UnbornDecay25

Postby Zhs2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:52 pm

phantombeta wrote:Press tab to switch between buying and selling. It says it right there on the menu, how do you people keep missing this? >_>
Huh, look at that. Seems a bit backwards though considering you have all of this UI space to place a sell button, especially right next to the buy button.

And as to not having a backup weapon, I see some classes are just set up to be juked that way - which is not completely evident just selecting them from the class select menu. The first two classes I tried were Runner and Enforcer, which both start with pretty much the same SMG-only loadout. Rifleman starts with two weapons and no grenades, which seems considerably better than having to learn the hard way that not having a backup weapon means not being able to shoot anything until you can safely use the buy menu. A good future suggestion is changing up the player class menu to show exactly what you start with, for consideration before even starting. And possibly prioritizing the list by starting difficulty, optionally by "jack of all trades" to "specialty".
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods