Vanilla Doom .DEH-based mods (Upd. 14/01/19)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Vanilla Doom .DEH-based mods (Upd. 14/01/19)

Post by TDRR »

After not releasing anything for a while, i decided to finally upload these patches i have been sitting on for a while now.

This is the post where i will keep a bunch of .deh (and other) mods as i make them, fully vanilla-compatible (But a few might not work on a few select source-ports)

DOWNLOAD PACK WITH ALL MODS (except computer deathmatch and VRandomizer)

Computer Deathmatch 4.0:
A modified version of fraggle's (Simon Howard) modified version of "The Immortal"'s (Sal Vince) Computer Deathmatch mod.
Essentially this is the same mod that makes deathmatch with "bots" (modified monsters to look and act like players) possible on any sourceport that supports .deh files, with a couple changes:
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD COMPUTER DEATHMATCH 4.0
To play you need to start a deathmatch with you as the only player and -respawn, maps 1-5 are available for play against bots, you can also play with 3 other players.

VRandomizer:
A randomizer mod for Vanilla Doom. Randomizes most pickups in the game. Weapons have a new weapon crate sprite, ammo has a ammo case sprite, health/armor bonuses got a stimpack sprite, and powerups have the Berserk sprite. The .wad file just provides these graphics, but if you don't want to use it pickups will still be randomized as normal, but the randomization looks a bit... Painful in the eyes without the .wad file.
DOWNLOAD VRANDOMIZER
random.deh is for Doom 2 and Final Doom, while randomD1.deh is for Doom 1, removing the SSG. I tried to make it appear in Doom 1 but unfortunately i just got crashes even if i included the SSG graphics :(
Patch doom2.exe with DeHackEd (or load it with -deh on most sourceports) and use the -file parameter to load random.wad with it.
Recommended for brutally difficult WADs or Doom 2 after map08.

Railgun:
Just a Railgun that works in Vanilla Doom. You just need DeHackEd to patch doom2.exe and load railgun.wad with it.
It's VERY overpowered (Just like the Quake 2 railgun)
Files: railgun.wad and railgun.deh

DM Weapons:
A simple little weapons mod for vanilla Doom, to make it play different in Deathmatch play. This makes gameplay much more up close and personal, with the only "sniper" weapons being your Pistol and Shotgun.
Spoiler:
Files: I lost the files for this, if anyone has them, please share! (DMWPNS.deh)

VBrutal Doom: Based on fraggle's vsmooth.wad
Weapons from Brutal Doom v21 with smooth animations and similar timing, this version has no reload. 100% compatible with Vanilla Doom and any sourceport that supports deh files. NOT DEMO-COMPATIBLE!
Files: vbrutal.wad and vbrutal.deh

Deh4T (Death Foretold) DeHackEd: Made with fraggle's incredible DEH9000 Phyton library
A Doom 2016 weapons mod for any source-port that supports .deh files With pretty smooth animations and sounds from the PSX version of the game. Plays amazingly well with Doom 64 Doom 2. NOT DEMO-COMPATIBLE!
Files: d4tdeh2.wad and d4tdeh2.deh

Brutal Doom DeHackEd: Made with fraggle's incredible DEH9000 Phyton library
Weapons from Brutal Doom v19 with the Rifle and Plasma Rifle reloading after releasing the fire button. Compatible with Vanilla Doom and any sourceport that supports .deh files. NOT DEMO-COMPATIBLE!
Files: brutaldeh.wad and brutaldeh.deh

No SSG:
Just a dehacked patch that replaces the SSG with a Shotgun. (IDKFA still gives a SSG)
Pretty good for those matches where the SSG would be considered unfair.
Files: I lost the files for this, if anyone has them, please share! (nossg.deh)

Centered weapons:
Like in ZDoom, weapons snap back to the center position while firing. Makes playing in vanilla less awkward. Not demo-compatible!
Files: I lost the files for this, if anyone has them, please share! (center.deh)
Last edited by TDRR on Fri May 01, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Zeskofp

Re: Vanilla Doom .DEH-based mods

Post by Zeskofp »

What! I didn't know you can center the weapons somehow in DeHackEd.

You may want to make the deathmatch marine to shoot and chase at the same time to make it feel more like an actual player instead of a bot. (EDIT: Nevermind, I think it's somewhat impossible to make it compatible with Vanilla since you'll need to use lots of unused states. And I don't know if you can use 0 tic in Vanilla. Never tried it)

I'm not sure what you mean by properly change sprite names and merging it with an IWAD. You mean like... you want to add new custom sprites instead of replacing them? either way you need to provide an additional .WAD that contain these sprites instead of just .DEH files
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

TPhentr wrote:What! I didn't know you can center the weapons somehow in DeHackEd.

You may want to make the deathmatch marine to shoot and chase at the same time to make it feel more like an actual player instead of a bot. (EDIT: Nevermind, I think it's somewhat impossible to make it compatible with Vanilla since you'll need to use lots of unused states. And I don't know if you can use 0 tic in Vanilla. Never tried it)

I'm not sure what you mean by properly change sprite names and merging it with an IWAD. You mean like... you want to add new custom sprites instead of replacing them? either way you need to provide an additional .WAD that contain these sprites instead of just .DEH files
The weapons can be centered by using the Unknown1 and Unknown2 state parameters for setting the offset of your weapon, i think Unknown1 goes 32 and Unknown2 goes 1 to center, you can just check on the .DEH itself to see.

I did try making the bots shoot while running and it worked pretty good, unfortunately it made the whole game crash if you got close to them. Since the other monsters are unused, i can take how many states from them as i please, and 0 tic states do work, but they occasionally crash.

As for the changing sprite names, i meant how in Vanilla Doom replacing sprites with a PWAD would crash the game, but there's a way around it by changing sprite names with DeHackEd and then putting the new sprites in your PWAD, but i don't know how it works.
Zeskofp

Post by Zeskofp »

Can you give me the sample wad that causes Vanilla to crash?

What do you use to edit DEHACKED lump by the way?
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

The issue with making DEH monsters move and attack at the same time is that the the monster movement function is also the function that determines whether or not a monster will attack.

Which means it's possible for a monster to reach the movement function, decide to attack, jump to the attack state, find the movement function, decide to attack, and ... jump to the attack state. Potentially forever. Absolutely forever if it's the melee attack, because a monster will always try to melee when its target is in range.

So "move while attacking" stuff is firmly in the realm of Decorate and beyond, because it actually allows you to call the movement function without the attack check. 'Course, it still doesn't really work all that well, because monster movement isn't remotely close to how players move ... but it's better than nothing, I guess.
Zeskofp

Post by Zeskofp »

Based on your explanation I tried putting the Chase after attacking and it seemed to work so far, no crashes... on Chocolate Doom that is, I don't know what would happen on Vanilla.

Just to straighten things up, I was talking about the replacing sprites thing that causes the game to crash. And not the chasing while attacking monster.
Attachments
chaseattack.zip
(478 Bytes) Downloaded 86 times
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

I use Whacked4, but i don't fear going into SLADE and do manual changes if needed.

My version of Chocolate Doom is 3.0 which is the latest version and most accurate, i also got a crash in Vanilla Doom.

I put the chase frame right before the "FaceTarget" which makes the enemy run close to you and makes it harder to dodge all those bullets, maybe that's why it crashed?

There was a mod called "Deathmatch warmup" where the plasma marine would strafe around you, i always wondered how that was done.

EDIT: Any .wad file where you replace any sprite makes vanilla crash 100% of the time. I recommend replacing the chainsaw idle sprite to see instant results though. (Test on Chocolate but DON'T use -merge, use -file instead)
Zeskofp

Post by Zeskofp »

I put the chase frame right before the "FaceTarget" which makes the enemy run close to you and makes it harder to dodge all those bullets, maybe that's why it crashed?
Yeah I think so.
There was a mod called "Deathmatch warmup" where the plasma marine would strafe around you, i always wondered how that was done.
It's simillar to what you did, but the chase frame is put after the attack preventing the infinite loop to happen as explained by Archtangent.
EDIT: Any .wad file where you replace any sprite makes vanilla crash 100% of the time. I recommend replacing the chainsaw idle sprite to see instant results though. (Test on Chocolate but DON'T use -merge, use -file instead)
I thought I misunderstood what you said, but really surprised to find out that it did crash because of it.
Zeskofp

Post by Zeskofp »

TDRR wrote:As for the changing sprite names, i meant how in Vanilla Doom replacing sprites with a PWAD would crash the game, but there's a way around it by changing sprite names with DeHackEd and then putting the new sprites in your PWAD, but i don't know how it works.
I did some googling and managed to get it to work, here's a sample wad/deh (it's down there)
Don't add S_START lump into the sprites wad or Chocolate will crash. The absence of S_START did make PrBoom to crash however, but it can be fixed by adding SS_START 1(with two S's) which works on both Chocolate and PrBoom.

Hope you get what I'm trying to say.
Attachments
spritest.zip
(12.4 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Here's a super early prototype of the Railgun i'm doing. It's mostly complete except for the fact that you turn to the east and trigger the BFG spray when firing it, still need to rule out the states that cause that.
TDRR

Re: Vanilla Doom .DEH-based mods (Upd. 13/12/18)

Post by TDRR »

I have added two mods to this list, a Dehacked version of D4T (still missing the infinite ammo pistol)
and a Vanilla version of Brutal Doom which doesn't include reloading (a separate version will be uploading with reloading).

Of these two, only vBrutal is compatible with Vanilla Doom. I'm pretty sure the reason is that DeHackEd can't parse D4T's Dehacked file properly because any other source-port with support for .deh files (even those without Boom extensions) work. Of note is that D4T DeHackEd was made before fraggle's vsmooth.wad (which vBrutal is based on), and i instead used boom-enhanced.wad which may be the source of the problem.

Of course since both include new graphics, for Vanilla Doom you will need to either use DeuSF and input this "DeuSF -as vbrutal.wad" which will put all IWAD sprites into that wad so it doesn't crash on vanilla, or input this "DeuSF -merge vbrutal.wad" which will merge vbrutal.wad into your IWAD. Doing this is NOT recommended unless you are going to do this in a separate folder, if not, use the -as method. Obviously you will also need to use DeHackEd to load the patch into your .exe.

EDIT: Added a Vanilla-Compatible Railgun that uses graphics from Skulltag, for Vanilla Doom DeuSF isn't required but DeHackEd obviously is.
Do note that it is ridiculously overpowered (Just like the Quake 2 railgun :lol: )
Whoah

Re: Vanilla Doom .DEH-based mods (Upd. 14/12/18)

Post by Whoah »

I really dig the DeHackEd versions of BD and D4T! I've always had a soft spot for these types of mods. I have a suggestion, though. Would it be possible to change the mugshot in the D4T DeHackEd mod to this one here? https://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons ... er-mugshot
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Whoah wrote:I really dig the DeHackEd versions of BD and D4T! I've always had a soft spot for these types of mods. I have a suggestion, though. Would it be possible to change the mugshot in the D4T DeHackEd mod to this one here? https://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons ... er-mugshot
I can, but honestly the colors look like trash when those graphics are limited to the Doom pallete.

In other news, i have released Brutal Doom DeHackEd. The main difference from vBrutal Doom is that the Rifle and Plasma rifle have reloading, and that sprites are from Brutal Doom v19.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

So, what mod would you like to see in Vanilla-compatible form?
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Approximations of one or more of Final Doomer's classes?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”