Hell Caliber [HC2 Status Update]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [Polish stage!] Hell Caliber

Post by Assassin of Purity »

Whoah wrote:Just wanted to pop in and say that I feel honored to see my name in the credits for suggesting the name! Glad you liked my admittedly low effort suggestion! This mod has turned into quite a satisfying weapon pack, by the way. Great job!
Yeah, it's a great mod. :)
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Polish stage!] Hell Caliber

Post by Samarai1000 »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting this to get updated again, either.
Changelog:
Spoiler:
Dropbox file should hopefully be updated before anyone sees this.
Someone64

Re: Hell Caliber

Post by Someone64 »

Been enjoying this quite a bit. Especially enjoy how you can melee faster by alternating left and right. I do miss the hilarious baby hands reloading double barrel, though. Just got 2 issues. First, Revenants are WAY too easy to deal with compared to vanilla or any mod's Revenant. Might want to buff their rocket speed. Even if you do buff their rocket speed they're probably still easier than vanilla considering you can just shoot their rockets out of the air. Second, the double barrel shotgun should by default (or make this an option?) reload on dry fire regardless of the dry fire auto reload option. This would make it a ton more convenient to use while not having other weapons auto reload.

Also, the FFS won't play its dry fire sound and animation after the first time it's triggered. You have to switch away and switch back to get it to do it again.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Two things, I'd like to play with recoil enabled but for me it still jitters while turning. I could enable mouse smoothing but the resulting input lag is not worth it for me. I will upload a video shortly to help outline the issue.

Secondly, you can still pickup cell ammo when you're full, wasting them.

Aside from that, I'm having a blast!

..also, the demoman barrel option and the lost soul death sounds made me lose my shit 😂

EDIT: The Sord [sic] contains a nasty softlock. Activate the health draining altfire but don't use it. Instead, try to switch weapons. You will now be stuck in the animation and it won't react to inputs anymore.

And yeah, Revenant and Spider Mastermind missiles are too slow imo.

EDIT2: The recoil jitter is caused by the SPF_INTERPOLATE flag. This is a long-standing bug that as of yet no dev has bothered to comment on. You're welcome
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Squidward, I'd really appreciate a video showing what you're describing. I play without mouse smoothing and have never encountered the 'jittering' you talk about. Thank you both for the feedback, though! I agree about the revenant rockets being too slow, I was just messing with their speed to try and offset how spam-tastic revenants can be due to firing two rockets at once, and to make it easier to shoot them down with your shotguns or the FFS.
That cell bug should be fixed soon, I can't believe I didn't notice that! :oops:
As for the sword softlock, that's unfortunately a problem shared with the UASG, to a lesser degree. If you try switching away from the UASG while in the middle of reloading, you have to wait for the reload to stop on its own (either by fully loading the shotgun or running out of ammo) before you can actually switch weapons. I wish there was a way to circumvent this, but alas, there isn't. At least for the sword, I'll try messing around with making the player able to unequip the weapon whilst charging it.
With the super-shotgun, I do agree that the manual reloading makes it a little inconvenient to use, but that's sort of the point. It's a pretty powerful weapon tempered by awkward function, but I'm starting to realize it's more annoying than anything, so I'll just make it automatically reload regardless of player setting.
The FFS's dryfire playing once is actually intentional, surprisingly, and it's stop it from looping if you hold down the fire button with auto-reloading turned on.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I've played the first version of this mod and haven't touched it since then. Now that i've downloaded this again...

Although the latest versions haven't changed the "core" of what this mod is, i can clearly see the evolution and man, this NEEDS to be more known! Your skill on animations and camera angles just make this mod feel very unique.

I wish you can keep on making more and more fun stuff to us. Congratulations on creating this mod :)

P.S.: You credited me for Weapon casing sprites... but i haven't made them. Assuming you are using many of Captain J's resources, they are probably from there (i recall seeing some Doom alpha casings). Also, any chance this mod will get further additions or new features? I'm happy with this, just asking.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

GAA1992 wrote:*snip*
Man, just reading this reminds me of how bad I am at taking compliments. Each good thing here makes me wanna yell 'noo, my mod isn't good, my animation sucks, everything in my mod is done better by another', but I'll restrain it to say thank you so much. You're one of my (many) inspirations to start messing around with Doom modding, so seeing feedback from you is crazy and exciting.
In terms of extra features possibly coming to the mod, something I'd really like to do is add a proper final boss to replace the Icon of Sin. While getting bouncer grenades in the slot is more than possible, it manages to somehow be more underwhelming than the vanilla IoS. While I'm still throwing around ideas for a boss that wouldn't suck, I'm thinking instead of it taking place in the IoS map, it'd warp you to a custom map for the fight since I don't know where I'd even start with replacing the icon of sin in a way that wouldn't break other maps. But I'm not sure how I'd do the warp, either.
Another idea I'm loosely considering, but probably won't implement, is altfires for the different guns. The main issue is thinking of alternative fires that would fit for the different weapons. Some are pretty simple, like maybe the ability to fire one barrel at a time with the SSG (only really good for emergencies, as you're better off using the regular shotgun instead), toggling the bouncing on the GL's grenades (already technically implemented, but commented out in the code), a railgun-esqe plasma burst on the PR, and a Doom pre-release style projectile spam for the BFGSG. But for weapons like the shotgun, FFS, and pistol, I'm a bit stumped as to what I'd do for alternative fires. With the pistol, I'm thinking using the alternative fire would allow you to quickly slash with the sword at close-range attackers, but that's lazy and I'm not sure how I could un-intrusively communicate that the alt-fire is unlocked to the player when they find a sword.

Anyways, TL:DR, thank you so much for the positive feedback! Planned ideas are a final boss and maybe altfires for most weapons.

Edit: Pushed a small update to fix the bugs with the sword and cell pickups, as well as increasing the speed of Revenant rockets.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Bug report:
If you stand on the same level as mancubi, they aim too low and throw their flames on the ground, and therefore become harmless at the distance. Tested on GZDoom v3.7.2 and recent developer versions.

Also a personal nitpick: backpack pickup sound ("Picked some ammo!") sounds out of place.

Edit: just found another problem:
Spoiler:
I had several hours of fun playing this mod, thanks for making it!
slyrboi

Post by slyrboi »

i'm willing to see a loads of new weapons for this, regardless if it's an Add-on or just an update
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

Just tried to play Hell Caliber with Sigil and I can't shoot eyes to progress.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

elCreyo wrote:Just tried to play Hell Caliber with Sigil and I can't shoot eyes to progress.
I sadly don't know a fix, but this sounds similar to a problem I had with Iron Snail and Dimension of the Boomed. I think it's because FastProjectiles don't trigger shootable switches or linedefs like hitscans do.
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

Sorry if this has been answered before, but how exactly do you load this up? I don't see the pk3 or WAD file anywhere. I'm using ZDL 3.2.2.2 by the way.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

You load it as a zip.
Just drag and drop a zip file onto GZDoom.
Or select the zip with ZDL.
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

dangit i dont like the far cry shotgun :p
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Just so you know, Sonik. O. Fan and myself did some alternative edits to the angled plasma rifle.

The updated version can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15080&hilit=magpul&start=33855
And here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15080&hilit=magpul&start=33900

If you want a more current sprite :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”